The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

16 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I believe Vegas actually has 5 million in cap space because of the Clarkson contract. I'm pretty sure IR contracts remain on the cap during off-season

Correct. They are still in an uncomfortable cap position. I also don't believe Clarkson's cap hit comes "off the cap" rather than there's a formula for allowing an overage of your cap calculated as the season goes on. Someone with better cap knowledge than me might be able to clarify this for us.

43 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I think the only way you get a top-tier player (1st line forward, top pairing defender) through the offer sheet would be to have the deal be A] an over-payment, and B] make it so that the compensation is four first round draft choices. Bergevin's offer was... ahem... interesting, but was ever-destined for failure once everyone realized Dundon is still worth a ton of money even if he has lost some through poor investments.

see if he would have offered 8.5 over 7 years, that would have meant more compensation but 1) Aho would not have signed and 2) if Carolina wanted more compensation we could have negotiated that

at the end of the day, i don't think its smart to give someone a bad contract

18 minutes ago, habsisme said:

see if he would have offered 8.5 over 7 years, that would have meant more compensation but 1) Aho would not have signed and 2) if Carolina wanted more compensation we could have negotiated that

at the end of the day, i don't think its smart to give someone a bad contract

Agreed on handing out bad contracts.

I'm not sure if there's anything we could have done to acquire Aho. However, if we overpaid him on a five or six year deal and Carolina was going to receive four first round draft choices from us... That probably would have greatly increased our chances.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I think the only way you get a top-tier player (1st line forward, top pairing defender) through the offer sheet would be to have the deal be A] an over-payment, and B] make it so that the compensation is four first round draft choices. Bergevin's offer was... ahem... interesting, but was ever-destined for failure once everyone realized Dundon is still worth a ton of money even if he has lost some through poor investments.

Totally.  If you had a guy with a history of some floating or bad slumps then maybe you get him on that offer but Aho is 21 years old with 49, 65 and 83 pt seasons under his belt.  No way they dont match that.  

I cant actually conceive of a situation where a team wouldnt match that (or just about any offer) on a player like Aho.  Even if you're a cap-ceiling team or you are contemplating a rebuild, you always find a way to pay your elite young talent. I get that Dundon is a bit of a head case so maybe they felt like there was a sliver of a chance he'd cut his nose to spite his face but I dont think it was ever an offer likely to go unmatched. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Totally.  If you had a guy with a history of some floating or bad slumps then maybe you get him on that offer but Aho is 21 years old with 49, 65 and 83 pt seasons under his belt.  No way they dont match that.  

I cant actually conceive of a situation where a team wouldnt match that (or just about any offer) on a player like Aho.  Even if you're a cap-ceiling team or you are contemplating a rebuild, you always find a way to pay your elite young talent. I get that Dundon is a bit of a head case so maybe they felt like there was a sliver of a chance he'd cut his nose to spite his face but I dont think it was ever an offer likely to go unmatched. 

I was kind of advocating going after the Connor kid in Winnipeg because he may be slightly less of a priority than Laine. He's also someone I would be comfortable over-paying to acquire since he just scored 34 goals and 66 points. But I suppose it takes two to tango, and maybe Connor would really prefer Winnipeg.

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I was kind of advocating going after the Connor kid in Winnipeg because he may be slightly less of a priority than Laine. He's also someone I would be comfortable over-paying to acquire since he just scored 34 goals and 66 points. But I suppose it takes two to tango, and maybe Connor would really prefer Winnipeg.

i dont know where i heard this, i think it TSN, but my understanding is that Jets care more about Connor than Laine. Must be a better 2 way player and he does have 2 30 goal seasons

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

i dont know where i heard this, i think it TSN, but my understanding is that Jets care more about Connor than Laine. Must be a better 2 way player and he does have 2 30 goal seasons

Ah, fair enough. I mean, yeah, I would be concerned about getting his next contract signed if I were the Winnipeg G.M.

I'm so glad Kadri was ejected from the playoffs this year in particular, and the Leafs couldn't get out of the first round.

Now they really are in cap hell, and have lost and will continue to lose quality assets before the start of next season.

I hope they emerge with three big forward signings (Marner, Matthews and Tavares), have to trade Nylander, lose Gardiner, and then try to piece together the rest of it all. 

They've got 5 more kicks at the can until Matthews heads for the states.  

What about something like:

To Montreal
Gusev (RFA)
Shea Theodore ($5.2m)
Pick

for

Mete (700k)
Danault (3.1m)

Vegas gets a cap relief of almost $2m but have 2 players signed instead of one.

We get a guy who can play with with Weber and a forward who may be a huge positive (was elite in the KHL).   

I know Danault provides terrific value but I dont think you're getting theodore & gusev for say Byron + Mete.  Its risky to give up on him now but with Domi, JK, Poehling and purportedly telling Suzuki we want him to be a centre, we may have to get rid of Danault sooner than later anyway... 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

With Vegas in a major cap crunch (They have 2.5m left but need to sign a couple of players & may have to walk away from a talent like Gusev) I think there's an opportunity there.

They would want cheaper, quality players in return. 

What about something like:

To Montreal
Gusev (RFA)
Shea Theodore ($5.2m)
Pick

for

Mete (700k)
Danault (3.1m)

Vegas gets a cap relief of almost $2m but have 2 players signed instead of one.

We get a guy who can play with with Weber and a forward who may be a huge positive (was elite in the KHL).   

I know Danault provides terrific value but I dont think you're getting theodore & gusev for say Byron + Mete.  Its risky to give up on him now but with Domi, JK, Poehling and purportedly telling Suzuki we want him to be a centre, we may have to get rid of Danault sooner than later anyway... 

I just don't think Theodore is available. Gusev clearly is though and I would try to get him if we can give them something they want. I think they are interested in cheap D. Juulsen could get him, and probably a pick too. 

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I just don't think Theodore is available. Gusev clearly is though and I would try to get him if we can give them something they want. I think they are interested in cheap D. Juulsen could get him, and probably a pick too. 

The problem is that unless they shed some salary, they cant afford to take on another contract - even by dumping Gusev and adding a cheap player like Juulsen.   They still have bodies to sign.    I feel like there's an opportunity there, although like you, im not sure if Theodore is available at all. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The problem is that unless they shed some salary, they cant afford to take on another contract - even by dumping Gusev and adding a cheap player like Juulsen.   They still have bodies to sign.    I feel like there's an opportunity there, although like you, im not sure if Theodore is available at all. 

Whats being reported is they want a 2nd rounder and a B level prospect for gusev. we should be in on that all day

23 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

Whats being reported is they want a 2nd rounder and a B level prospect for gusev. we should be in on that all day

I would! He's right shot too, we need that on offense. I'm honestly surprised any team with cap space hasn't made the deal yet

14 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I would! He's right shot too, we need that on offense. I'm honestly surprised any team with cap space hasn't made the deal yet

The report is that Vegas would like to fit him in so they are not likely to move him for pennies right now. I think if you want to pry him out right now you have to send maybe Hudon + Juulsen or Fleury. Totally worth it IMHO your only other option is to wait and see what they do later without waiting too long and losing out

Seeing as Vegas chose Emelin without being forced to and then traded him right away after, rather than taking Hudon, and seeing as Hudon's value is lower now than it was a couple of years ago, I highly doubt they see much value in his being one of the pieces in a trade. He could easily be a throw-in, but I think they'll want more than just Hudon as "the prospect" in any trade. To me, a B level prospect would be someone more like Evans, Ikonen, Fleury, etc.

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

Yeah I don't think Hudon has much value but Juulsen sure does. I know because I don't love the idea of trading him for Gusev. If Vegas can't get him signed, i honestly think one for one this would do it. They need D desperately

Ok so what about Mete + Juulsen + Danault for Theodore + Gusev. Then we line up

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gusev

Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia 

Byron-Thompson-Weal

Cousins, Varone

Theodore-Weber 

Chiarot-Petry 

Kulak-Brook

Folin

Price

Kinkade

That could be scary good.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Ok so what about Mete + Juulsen + Danault for Theodore + Gusev. Then we line up

I wouldnt give up both Mete and Juulsen.    It would hurt to include Danault (who is extremely good value) but i think he's well valued around the league. I dont think they'd hang up the phone if you called with an offer of Mete + Danault. 

At this point, for Hudon, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything comparable to what we got for Deslauriers. I wouldn't be surprised if we get less. A sixth rounder or something. My jaw will drop if we resign him and he stays in Montreal/Laval.

In the Vegas trade scenarios mentioned above, I feel like we may be undervaluing Theodore a little.

Additionally, if we wanna help Vegas with some cap relief, maybe targeting someone like Eakin (along with Theodore) could be a more realistic scenario, no?

11 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

At this point, for Hudon, I'll be pleasantly surprised if we get anything comparable to what we got for Deslauriers. I wouldn't be surprised if we get less. A sixth rounder or something. My jaw will drop if we resign him and he stays in Montreal/Laval.

In the Vegas trade scenarios mentioned above, I feel like we may be undervaluing Theodore a little.

Additionally, if we wanna help Vegas with some cap relief, maybe targeting someone like Eakin (along with Theodore) could be a more realistic scenario, no?

If we're getting Theodore  + one of their bad contracts, then we're the ones who should be benefiting from the trade.    In isolation, yes Theodore's value is higher than what some people have been placing, but when you're letting Vegas deal with it's cap problems it's the Habs who should be making out like bandits.

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

If we're getting Theodore  + one of their bad contracts, then we're the ones who should be benefiting from the trade.    In isolation, yes Theodore's value is higher than what some people have been placing, but when you're letting Vegas deal with it's cap problems it's the Habs who should be making out like bandits.

I don't think Eakin is a bad contract. Just possibly the best scenario for Vegas to alleviate itself of some salary. Had we not went out a wasted money on Cousins and Chiarot, taking on Eakin's final year wouldn't be so bad. We would also available spots for our LD to lineup appropriately if we had Thedore... and not Chiarot.

I guess there's a big "if" around Thedore's availability. I guess I would have tried something like this:

To Montreal: Cody Eakin ($3.850, UFA in 2020-21), Shea Theodore ($5.200, UFA in 2025-26).

To Vegas: 1st round draft choice (2021), Noah Juulsen ($0.863, RFA in 2020-21), 4th round draft choice (2020), Charles Hudon (RFA).

To follow-up on my above trade proposal, my lineup would be as follows:

(Please note, I am excluding the signings of Cousins and Chiarot when assembling my team)

Jonathan Drouin - Max Domi - Brendan Gallagher

Tomas Tatar - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Paul Byron

Artturi Lehkonen - Philip Danault - Joel Armia

Ryan Poehling - Cody Eakin - Jordan Weal

Shea Theodore - Shea Weber (The "Sheas"!)

Victor Mete - Jeff Petry

Brett Kulak - Christian Folin

NHL Spares: Nate Thompson, Mike Reilly

AHL Demotions: Dale Weise, Philip Varone. Matthew Peca, Karl Alzner, 

30 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't think Eakin is a bad contract. Just possibly the best scenario for Vegas to alleviate itself of some salary. Had we not went out a wasted money on Cousins and Chiarot, taking on Eakin's final year wouldn't be so bad. We would also available spots for our LD to lineup appropriately if we had Thedore... and not Chiarot.

I guess there's a big "if" around Thedore's availability. I guess I would have tried something like this:

To Montreal: Cody Eakin ($3.850, UFA in 2020-21), Shea Theodore ($5.200, UFA in 2025-26).

To Vegas: 1st round draft choice (2021), Noah Juulsen ($0.863, RFA in 2020-21), 4th round draft choice (2020), Charles Hudon (RFA).

Yeah, that's fairly reasonable ... though I'd hate giving up Juulsen, getting Theodore back makes up for it.

• H_T_L locked this topic