The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I would be shocked if they moved Theodore. Their best player at their weakest position. They don't need to do anything. Just sign Gusev

Not entirely true, They do only have 5 dmen as well but will most likely promote from within unless a reasonable trade offer comes in. I also think it is a long shot for them to trade Theodore although I would like to get him and have even added my opinion on what the return should be. 

I think everyone is on this because they are misreading their cap situation. They are about 2.5 million UNDER the cap  once Clarkson goes on IR. They can sign Gusev but Gusev wants more money then they can afford. Gusev is available, Shea Theodore is absolutely not going anywhere.

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think everyone is on this because they are misreading their cap situation. They are about 2.5 million UNDER the cap  once Clarkson goes on IR. They can sign Gusev but Gusev wants more money then they can afford. Gusev is available, Shea Theodore is absolutely not going anywhere.

Like I stated above they are 2 players short of a full roster, there is an expectation that Glass makes the team this year that takes off like 925000 and they would like to also sign England probably looking around a minimum of 2-2.5 Mil and Schultz is an RFA they still need to deal with as well so there goes another 925000. That puts them over the cap even when factoring in Clarkson's 35250000. So no-one is misreading anything except maybe you, they are in a cap crunch not as bed as the Laffs but still not in a good position. They simply cant sign everyone and are currently only carrying 5 D so I would expect them to sign England and Schultz first and bring up Glass before even thinking about signing Gusev. If they don't bring up Glass then maybe they can sign Gusev but they would still need to trade someone. Probably Holden or Reaves or both.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We have some other decent prospects at RD (Fleury, Brook) that make Juulsen a little more expendable, IMO. It would hurt, but it would probably be worth it.

Yeah I am a big Juulsen fan but considering the strength we have at RD (and the chance of MB trading Weber or Petry is basically Nil) then i guess he is somewhat expendable.  All you need is to find a team with a player like him at LD, who requires RD.

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would be shocked if they moved Theodore. Their best player at their weakest position. They don't need to do anything. Just sign Gusev

Its definitely unlikely they trade Theodore but they seem content to load up on forward talent & then leave Fleury to stand on his head.  I would imagine the chances of them moving him are extremely low but this management team has proven they do lots of weird things. 

As for them "not needing to do anything" thats just not true.  They're over the cap currently - obviously Clarkson's money will come off so they are something like: $85m - $81m + $4m over - $5.25 (clarkson)  so they should have something like $1.2-1.5M in available cap space.  But Gusev wants $4m (which is probably fair for the leading scorer in the KHL).   Additionally they only have 5dmen under contract (3L 2R)  and some of their forward slots are a bit suspect.  Malcom Subban resigning for so cheap definitely helped (arbitration may well have given him more) but they still have players and positions they need to figure out. 

They have work to do.  They would be better served by trading a few higher priced players & bringing in quality young (ie cheaper) replacements but Its anybody's guess what they will do... 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

James Neal for Karl Alzner? :D:lol:

not that im sure id do it, but I dont think Calgary would.  They would save a little on the cap but have zero use for Alzner.  We could probably find a home for Neal (although our bottom six is pretty crowded and i dont think he's top 6 anymore).  Although im pretty sure you were joking :)

20 hours ago, maas_art said:

not that im sure id do it, but I dont think Calgary would.  They would save a little on the cap but have zero use for Alzner.  We could probably find a home for Neal (although our bottom six is pretty crowded and i dont think he's top 6 anymore).  Although im pretty sure you were joking :)

Calgary would probably certainly look at it, they have 3 UFA on defence at the end of this season, they get back a shorter term with Alsner and they free up just over 1 million in cap space. 

However Neal could always score and I think he will have a bounce back year for Calgary. At  31 i dont think he is  done yet.

He was averaging almost 3.5 shots per game his last 8 seasons and a shooting percent between 11 and 12 %

This past season only 2.2 shots per game and a measly 5%. Those numbers are not typical, and at 31 your not exactly over the hill

Just for fun, lets imagine that Ken Holland would entertain the idea of trading Connor McDavid.

I actually dont think he would, but as each year goes by, McDavid seems more and more bitter about the state of the oilers.   He's almost passive agressive in his interviews because clearly the OIl sold him on something (some kind of plan) when he signed his 8 year deal & they do not seem to be living up to that. 

So lets just imagine they would actually listen to an offer for him.  What would you give up?    Obviously we'd have to include one of our big three youth (JK, Poehling or Suzuki).  I think you'd have to include a top end dman (Weber?) and a solid young dman prospect (Fleury, Juulsen, Brook?). Normally you'd include a pick too but I think in this case Edmonton would want bodies so maybe one more forward.   The deal could look something like this:

To Montreal
Connor McDavid
Pick

To Edmonton:
Max Domi
Shea Weber
Ryan Poehling
Arturi Lehkonen
Cale Fleury

What do you think? is it enough? Too much?  Would edmonton do it? Would montreal?   Obviously its never happening but whenever i see a disgruntled player I start thinking "what would they look like on my team?"

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

To Montreal
Connor McDavid
Pick

To Edmonton:
Max Domi
Shea Weber
Ryan Poehling
Arturi Lehkonen
Cale Fleury

What do you think? is it enough? Too much?  Would edmonton do it? Would montreal?   Obviously its never happening but whenever i see a disgruntled player I start thinking "what would they look like on my team?"

I feel like, if I were the G.M. in Edmonton, and I had to trade McDavid, I would probably be thinking rebuild... I wouldn't be interested in Weber at all. I think I'd be asking for Montreal's most promising prospect, Kotkaniemi.

Domi, Lehkonen, Poehling, and Fleury are all interesting. But I don't think Poehling or Fleury would bring much as an incentive.

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Just for fun, lets imagine that Ken Holland would entertain the idea of trading Connor McDavid.

I actually dont think he would, but as each year goes by, McDavid seems more and more bitter about the state of the oilers.   He's almost passive agressive in his interviews because clearly the OIl sold him on something (some kind of plan) when he signed his 8 year deal & they do not seem to be living up to that. 

So lets just imagine they would actually listen to an offer for him.  What would you give up?    Obviously we'd have to include one of our big three youth (JK, Poehling or Suzuki).  I think you'd have to include a top end dman (Weber?) and a solid young dman prospect (Fleury, Juulsen, Brook?). Normally you'd include a pick too but I think in this case Edmonton would want bodies so maybe one more forward.   The deal could look something like this:

To Montreal
Connor McDavid
Pick

To Edmonton:
Max Domi
Shea Weber
Ryan Poehling
Arturi Lehkonen
Cale Fleury

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel like, if I were the G.M. in Edmonton, and I had to trade McDavid, I would probably be thinking rebuild... I wouldn't be interested in Weber at all. I think I'd be asking for Montreal's most promising prospect, Kotkaniemi.

Domi, Lehkonen, Poehling, and Fleury are all interesting. But I don't think Poehling or Fleury would bring much as an incentive.

Agreed with JR... if you're trading McDavid, you're likely asking for JK as the focal point in a deal. If I were Edmonton, I'd be pretty much re-tooling at that point and trying to acquire as many youngsters and futures as possible. I wouldn't have any interest in Weber in that deal, and Lehkonen and Fleury would largely be throw-ins rather than providing much value. McDavid's one of the few players in the league that you could argue could/should garner four 1st rounders and I think there would be teams agreed to paying that, so I think any offer would have to parallel that. Not to say I would do it, but I think the ask from Edmonton would be more along the lines of

Kotkaniemi

Suzuki

Brook

Primeau

1st round pick 2020

1st round pick 2021

It's a lot of key pieces to our future, but I think that's what it would take to make a deal interesting to the Oilers.

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

To Montreal
Connor McDavid
Pick

To Edmonton:
Max Domi
Shea Weber
Ryan Poehling
Arturi Lehkonen
Cale Fleury

Wouldn't do it. 

Drouin-McDavid-Byron
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Cousins-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Peca-Thompson-Weal
with Suzuki and Caufield still in development

Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Folin
Kulak-Juulsen

with Brook and Romanov still in development

12.5 to McDavid, but 3.150 Domi 2.400 Lehkonen 7.857 Weber, 0.925 Poehling...so the cap space is basically a wash 

Having the best player in the world (arguably) with the best goalie in the world (arguably) would be fun.

2 hours ago, Windoe said:

Drouin-McDavid-Byron
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Cousins-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Peca-Thompson-Weal
with Suzuki and Caufield still in development

Chiarot-Petry
Mete-Folin
Kulak-Juulsen

with Brook and Romanov still in development

12.5 to McDavid, but 3.150 Domi 2.400 Lehkonen 7.857 Weber, 0.925 Poehling...so the cap space is basically a wash 

Having the best player in the world (arguably) with the best goalie in the world (arguably) would be fun.

I like the idea of having speed on McDavid's line but I just think that IF you don't give him guys that can consistently finish he will be asking for a trade in a couple of years again. 

I also think you gave up too much and that would leave us with a buch more holes. Maybe Weber and Domi plus a 1st and Suzuki would be enough. I don't think you could be a contender giving up Lehkonen Domi and Peoling.

I would entertain Ted's offer if I were Bergevin. Two first rounders, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Brook, and Primeau would be a lot to sacrifice, but McDavid is McDavid. It's worth considering. You'd have to find a way to exchange salary as well. We'd need to send something back to Edmonton to even out the cap hit.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would entertain Ted's offer if I were Bergevin. Two first rounders, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Brook, and Primeau would be a lot to sacrifice, but McDavid is McDavid. It's worth considering. You'd have to find a way to exchange salary as well. We'd need to send something back to Edmonton to even out the cap hit.

That would be a huge HELL NO from me no way I give up KK, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau and 2 1st's that would kill our future. 

I would however send a mix for McDavid something like

Domi (5500000)

Suzuki (863333)

Kulak (1850000)

2020 1st Lottery protected

2021 1st

2020 2nd

Alzner (they would have to take Alzner as part of the package to free up cap space) (4625000)

total out = 12838333

for McDavid (12500000) + 2020 3rd 

then we line up

Tatar-McDavid-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Cousins-Danault-Hudon

Byron-Peohling-Armia

extras - Weal, Thompson

Mete-Weber

Chiarot-Petry

Reilly-Juulsen

Extra - Folin

Price

Kinkade

still missing that #1 LHD but it makes us contenders and also helps the rebuild of the Oilers they would line up something like

Draisaitl-Domi-Kassian

Neal-Nugent-Hopkins-Chiasson

Grandlund-Suzuki-Gagner

Khaira-Brodziak-Puljujarvi

Klefblom-Larsson

Nurse-Russell

Kulak-Bouchard

Alzner

Koskinen

Smith

both teams would be contenders IMHO

16 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

That would be a huge HELL NO from me no way I give up KK, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau and 2 1st's that would kill our future. 

I would however send a mix for McDavid something like

Domi (5500000)

Suzuki (863333)

Kulak (1850000)

2020 1st Lottery protected

2021 1st

2020 2nd

Alzner (they would have to take Alzner as part of the package to free up cap space) (4625000)

total out = 12838333

for McDavid (12500000) + 2020 3rd 

then we line up

Tatar-McDavid-Gallagher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Lehkonen

Cousins-Danault-Hudon

Byron-Peohling-Armia

extras - Weal, Thompson

Mete-Weber

Chiarot-Petry

Reilly-Juulsen

Extra - Folin

Price

Kinkade

still missing that #1 LHD but it makes us contenders and also helps the rebuild of the Oilers they would line up something like

Draisaitl-Domi-Kassian

Neal-Nugent-Hopkins-Chiasson

Grandlund-Suzuki-Gagner

Khaira-Brodziak-Puljujarvi

Klefblom-Larsson

Nurse-Russell

Kulak-Bouchard

Alzner

Koskinen

Smith

both teams would be contenders IMHO

Sorry realized Domi is at 3150000 LOL 

total out = 10488333 

so essentially we get McDavid for 2 mil

22 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Sorry realized Domi is at 3150000 LOL 

total out = 10488333 

so essentially we get McDavid for 2 mil

At this point in time, I cannot imagine there's any way you could swing a trade for McDavid (hypothetical or not) without including Kotkaniemi. He's, by far, our most promising young player and I feel like Edmonton would just hang up the phone if he wasn't included in the deal. Which is fine. McDavid is worth more than Kotkaniemi. It's just a matter of finding the right balance of parts to make a trade (hypothetical) worthwhile for both teams.

Here would be my fantasy proposal for McDavid. Fun.

To Montreal:

Connor McDavid ($12.500)

3rd Round Draft Choice (2021)

To Edmonton:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi ($0.925)

Paul Byron ($3.400)

Dale Weise ($2.350) (Yes, yes, I know. :rolleyes: It's a salary dump with one year remaining on his deal)

Josh Brook ($0.795)

Cayden Primeau ($0.881)

1st Round Draft Choice (2020)

4th Round Draft Choice (2020 - Anaheim)

4th Round Draft Choice (2020 - Winnipeg)

19 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

At this point in time, I cannot imagine there's any way you could swing a trade for McDavid (hypothetical or not) without including Kotkaniemi. He's, by far, our most promising young player and I feel like Edmonton would just hang up the phone if he wasn't included in the deal. Which is fine. McDavid is worth more than Kotkaniemi. It's just a matter of finding the right balance of parts to make a trade (hypothetical) worthwhile for both teams.

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Here would be my fantasy proposal for McDavid. Fun.

For sure. And honestly the chances of Edmonton moving McDavid have to be like 1% but its still fun to play. 

I guess the question is:  why does edmont make this move? Is it to blow up the team or is it to make the team better NOW.   Its rare, but there have been times when a team will trade one player for a bucket load of depth (Joe Thornton, Lindros, etc).  So maybe the pressure is on edmonton so much to actually field a competitive team now that they move a superstar for a whole bunch of players.   

I dont necessarily think any of the proposals are out to lunch (although I dont think Edmonton would actually move him) but its an interesting exercise.  Remember, if they move McDavid, they still have Draitsaitl & RNH - so they have a 1-2 punch as good as most teams in the nhl.  So do they focus on getting better in other areas (like defense and wing) or do they want a superstar like Price as part of the deal?

Anyway, fun to speculate.  I dont think anything would actually come of it but it sure seems like Connor is unhappy in Edmonton. 

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

See and if I am MB and the ask is KK I would hang up. I think that KK plus for McDavid is too much. IMO KK will one day very soon be close to McDavid so giving up a younger player for an older one with almost equal talent isn't worth it. Again this comes back to the Subban-Weber deal a little less of an age gap but while McDavid probably has another 10 years in him maybe 6 at elite status KK has like 15-20 and maybe 10-15 at elite status no way I give that up.

37 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

See and if I am MB and the ask is KK I would hang up. I think that KK plus for McDavid is too much. IMO KK will one day very soon be close to McDavid so giving up a younger player for an older one with almost equal talent isn't worth it. Again this comes back to the Subban-Weber deal a little less of an age gap but while McDavid probably has another 10 years in him maybe 6 at elite status KK has like 15-20 and maybe 10-15 at elite status no way I give that up.

As much as I like JK even up for McDavid absolutely! McDavid for Mcinnon maybe not. I don't see JK as an elite scoring super star. Can he possibly a star yes , but I don't see him developing into a Crosby or McDavid . A Bergereon type or a young Toews I can see. Which I still think hopefully will be great , a player you can play in all situations. As for a generational talent , I hope I'm wrong but I don't see that....and I do like the kid.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

52 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

As much as I like JK even up for McDavid absolutely! McDavid for Mcinnon maybe not. I don't see JK as an elite scoring super star. Can he possibly a star yes , but I don't see him developing into a Crosby or McDavid . A Bergereon type or a young Toews I can see. Which I still think hopefully will be great , a player you can play in all situations. As for a generational talent , I hope I'm wrong but I don't see that....and I do like the kid.

Yeah, i love JK and i think he's going to be a terrific, legitimate top line centre but  a)  McDavid is a Generational talent. 2 ) JK is still a prospect, McDavid has 3 straight 100 point seasons and his career scoring is 1.27 points per game.  

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Again this comes back to the Subban-Weber deal a little less of an age gap but while McDavid probably has another 10 years in him maybe 6 at elite status KK has like 15-20 and maybe 10-15 at elite status no way I give that up.

Im not sure about your math here. McDavid is 2 1/2 years older than JK  so im not sure how JK has 10-15 elite status years but McDavid only has 6?  Plus JK hasnt actually made it to 'elite status' yet so... 

• H_T_L locked this topic