The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, i love JK and i think he's going to be a terrific, legitimate top line centre but  a)  McDavid is a Generational talent. 2 ) JK is still a prospect, McDavid has 3 straight 100 point seasons and his career scoring is 1.27 points per game.  

UH yeah! if that ever happened MB would have a statue outside the rink!

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not sure about your math here. McDavid is 2 1/2 years older than JK  so im not sure how JK has 10-15 elite status years but McDavid only has 6?  Plus JK hasnt actually made it to 'elite status' yet so... 

Honestly I didn't check McDavid's age just seems like he has been around for 5 or more years LOL. I guess in that case it's kind of a wash for years of 'elite status' so I guess McDavid for KK would be acceptable but I still wouldn't give up KK + Suzuki + Primeau that's too much of our future one maybe two plus a roster player and picks sure

McDavid is arguably the most valuable player in the league. By that I mean if you had to make a trade as a GM and offer one player for another player, I think any GM would trade any one player for McDavid and I don't think anyone would trade McDavid for anyone in a 1-for-1 deal. Kotkaniemi, as much as I like him, doesn't likely even make the top 50 in that list.

If you're Edmonton and you even entertain the idea of trading McDavid, it's because you a. don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and are trying to get a handful of really great assets to help you now instead of one phenomenal asset or b. want to reset your window and get even younger. I just don't see us having the assets or will to make the first move. We'd have to give up probably Price and Domi as a starter and that means we're likely not a complete enough roster after that to make things work. So that's why I think any realistic deal between us would have to include Kotkaniemi and would have to include at the very least the equivalent of 3 more first rounders (I went with two actual first rounders and Suzuki) in addition to other assets (I went with Brook and Primeau as our best D and goalie prospects). Any deal is going to have to be shaped like the Lindros to Philly trade with multiple high-end pieces going back that have enough potential to be great. Edmonton is not doing this deal for Byron or Kulak or Lehkonen or Armia or so on... even though those guys can be good role players, they are also players you can trade a mid-round draft pick to acquire or who you can sign as free agents. So no matter how many you include as filler, they're all grains of sand when you're trying to add them up to make up the talent you get in McDavid.

This is by no means a commentary about whether I think the Habs should or should not sell the farm to acquire McDavid, only a statement that I think that's the type of deal it would take to make it happen.

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

McDavid is arguably the most valuable player in the league. By that I mean if you had to make a trade as a GM and offer one player for another player, I think any GM would trade any one player for McDavid and I don't think anyone would trade McDavid for anyone in a 1-for-1 deal. Kotkaniemi, as much as I like him, doesn't likely even make the top 50 in that list.

If you're Edmonton and you even entertain the idea of trading McDavid, it's because you a. don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and are trying to get a handful of really great assets to help you now instead of one phenomenal asset or b. want to reset your window and get even younger. I just don't see us having the assets or will to make the first move. We'd have to give up probably Price and Domi as a starter and that means we're likely not a complete enough roster after that to make things work. So that's why I think any realistic deal between us would have to include Kotkaniemi and would have to include at the very least the equivalent of 3 more first rounders (I went with two actual first rounders and Suzuki) in addition to other assets (I went with Brook and Primeau as our best D and goalie prospects). Any deal is going to have to be shaped like the Lindros to Philly trade with multiple high-end pieces going back that have enough potential to be great. Edmonton is not doing this deal for Byron or Kulak or Lehkonen or Armia or so on... even though those guys can be good role players, they are also players you can trade a mid-round draft pick to acquire or who you can sign as free agents. So no matter how many you include as filler, they're all grains of sand when you're trying to add them up to make up the talent you get in McDavid.

This is by no means a commentary about whether I think the Habs should or should not sell the farm to acquire McDavid, only a statement that I think that's the type of deal it would take to make it happen.

And I can't see any GM giving that much of their future up for a single player. I imagine the deal would lie somewhere between your offer and mine though. I also don't think they would be in full rebuild mode though cause yes McDavid may be the best player in the league but they would still have Draisitle, NH, Klefblom, Russell, Nurse, Larsson and Koskinen,  plus whatever else we sent them. That in itself doesn't take them out of contention so they may rather get a mix of players and prospects

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

See and if I am MB and the ask is KK I would hang up. I think that KK plus for McDavid is too much. IMO KK will one day very soon be close to McDavid so giving up a younger player for an older one with almost equal talent isn't worth it. Again this comes back to the Subban-Weber deal a little less of an age gap but while McDavid probably has another 10 years in him maybe 6 at elite status KK has like 15-20 and maybe 10-15 at elite status no way I give that up.

Not a chance. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Love the faith in our players potential here. I didn't say equal to McDavid. I said close to McDavid. I think KK can get 70-90 points per year with better wingers and playing higher up the lineup. Which is CLOSE to McDavid

I'll 2nd that . not a chance .

How 'bout we give McDavid better wingers too

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

It's no wonder FA don't want to sign here with the way some fans believe in our players. How do you give McDavid better wingers than Draisaitl?

You're comparing KK  one day very soon be close to  McDavid.

I believe LD is a second-line centre

Have you seen the some of the players CM has played with. Read this

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/they-dont-have-to-be-the-best-give-connor-mcdavid-a-winger-who-can-score-and-hell-be-happy

Edmonton is bad hockey club even with CM .

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/they-dont-have-to-be-the-best-give-connor-mcdavid-a-winger-who-can-score-and-hell-be-happy

Quite the read. Seems he's unhappy there with the wingers he's been given. You'd think the coach would at least ask McDavid if he has any preference of who he would like as wingers. 

8 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Not a bad read but did you look at the date it was written almost a year ago so yes at the time of the article he had had some pretty bad wingers but this year he had RNH on his wing and I believe LD spent some time there as well and still had the same production. I will agree that McDavid is a generational talent and KK is not but I also believe in the next year or two KK could easily put up 70-90 points IF his development progresses the way it has. Which IMO is CLOSE to McDavid not even but CLOSE the same way a guy like Aho or Tavares or Hall are Close to McDavid not generational players but still elite

Let me give this another shot. Hearing some of the criticisms and arguments!

To Montreal:

Connor McDavid ($12.500)

3rd Round Draft Choice (2021)

To Edmonton:

Jesperi Kotkaniemi ($0.925)

Cayden Primeau ($0.881)

Noah Juulsen ($0.863)

Karl Alzner ($4.625)

1st Round Draft Choice (2020)

1st Round Draft Choice (2021)

4th Round Draft Choice (2020 - Anaheim)

Not a bad read but did you look at the date it was written almost a year ago so yes at the time of the article he had had some pretty bad wingers but this year he had RNH on his wing and I believe LD spent some time there as well and still had the same production. I will agree that McDavid is a generational talent and KK is not but I also believe in the next year or two KK could easily put up 70-90 points IF his development progresses the way it has. Which IMO is CLOSE to McDavid not even but CLOSE the same way a guy like Aho or Tavares or Hall are Close to McDavid not generational players but still elite

And yet he may not ever reach his full potential....we just don't know it looks good but nothing is for sure. McDavid on the other hand is much faster a better shooter at least as smart on the ice and has proven he can play at an elite level as the man to get where as KK has been playing third line minutes as he should as an 18 year old who was not fully developed physically. i hope he becomes a stud center but McDavid is already a stud player and will be for quite a while yet and to trade him the GM in Edmonton would have to get an insane haul or they would lynch him in that city!

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

To Montreal:

Connor McDavid ($12.500)

To Edmonton:

Cayden Primeau ($0.881)

Noah Juulsen ($0.863)

Karl Alzner ($4.625)

In a heartbeat.   It would hurt to lose JK and a couple of 1sts. I think Juulsen is going to be a very good player and Primeau too but you have to give to get. 

im not certain this is what Edmonton would be after (see my post above, im not convinced they would deal McD to rebuild, i think they have other solid pieces, they would want to turn that one asset into a large amount of quality depth) so you might have to replace one of the picks with Domi or Drouin or Tatar or someone. 

28 minutes ago, maas_art said:

In a heartbeat.   It would hurt to lose JK and a couple of 1sts. I think Juulsen is going to be a very good player and Primeau too but you have to give to get. 

im not certain this is what Edmonton would be after (see my post above, im not convinced they would deal McD to rebuild, i think they have other solid pieces, they would want to turn that one asset into a large amount of quality depth) so you might have to replace one of the picks with Domi or Drouin or Tatar or someone. 

If it's Domi then I think you could replace a 1st cause he is worth at least that plus we really need Primeau to take over for Price cause we really don't have anyone else that I can think of capable 

If it's Domi then I think you could replace a 1st cause he is worth at least that plus we really need Primeau to take over for Price cause we really don't have anyone else that I can think of capable 

Sorry that was supposed to say 

If it's Domi then I think you could replace Primeau and a 1st

15 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

To Montreal:

Connor McDavid ($12.500)

To Edmonton:

Cayden Primeau ($0.881)

Noah Juulsen ($0.863)

Karl Alzner ($4.625)

Im Montreal I do it.

Im Edmonton nope .

On 7/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, maas_art said:

Just for fun, lets imagine that Ken Holland would entertain the idea of trading Connor McDavid.

I actually dont think he would, but as each year goes by, McDavid seems more and more bitter about the state of the oilers.   He's almost passive agressive in his interviews because clearly the OIl sold him on something (some kind of plan) when he signed his 8 year deal & they do not seem to be living up to that. 

So lets just imagine they would actually listen to an offer for him.  What would you give up?    Obviously we'd have to include one of our big three youth (JK, Poehling or Suzuki).  I think you'd have to include a top end dman (Weber?) and a solid young dman prospect (Fleury, Juulsen, Brook?). Normally you'd include a pick too but I think in this case Edmonton would want bodies so maybe one more forward.   The deal could look something like this:

To Montreal
Connor McDavid
Pick

To Edmonton:
Max Domi
Shea Weber
Ryan Poehling
Arturi Lehkonen
Cale Fleury

What do you think? is it enough? Too much?  Would edmonton do it? Would montreal?   Obviously its never happening but whenever i see a disgruntled player I start thinking "what would they look like on my team?"

If McDavid came a knocking i would be getting the wheel barrow ready. We have nothing on our team that i would not be willing to part with to get McDavid

If i am GM in Edmonton. I may be in a win now, win later or a little of both

either way i would say its starts with KK..

Then Domi or Gallagher or both

Primeu/ Maybe Price.

One of Julsen, Romanov or Brooks.

One or two first rounders. 

Say KK/Galagher/Price/Julsen, plus first 

Or KK/Primeu/Brooks/Romanov and two firsts

Or KK/Domi/Price/Julsen plus a first 

Whatever there ask i would try to get it done. How many chances do you have to get the best player in the world on you team at 21 years old.

Maybe they are all in right now

Domi/Gallagher/Weber/Price/Lekonen - 23 to 24 million 

McDavid/Koskinen/Neal/Chiason/ 23 to 24 million

2 hours ago, caperns61 said:

If McDavid came a knocking i would be getting the wheel barrow ready. We have nothing on our team that i would not be willing to part with to get McDavid

If i am GM in Edmonton. I may be in a win now, win later or a little of both

either way i would say its starts with KK..

Then Domi or Gallagher or both

Primeu/ Maybe Price.

One of Julsen, Romanov or Brooks.

One or two first rounders. 

Say KK/Galagher/Price/Julsen, plus first 

Or KK/Primeu/Brooks/Romanov and two firsts

Or KK/Domi/Price/Julsen plus a first 

Whatever there ask i would try to get it done. How many chances do you have to get the best player in the world on you team at 21 years old.

Maybe they are all in right now

Domi/Gallagher/Weber/Price/Lekonen - 23 to 24 million 

McDavid/Koskinen/Neal/Chiason/ 23 to 24 million

I like the win now model but would go

Domi/Gallagher/Weber/Lehkonen/Primeau + 1st

would want back

McDavid/Kleblom/Koskinen/Chiason 23-24 million 

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I like the win now model but would go

Domi/Gallagher/Weber/Lehkonen/Primeau + 1st

would want back

McDavid/Kleblom/Koskinen/Chiason 23-24 million 

With McDavid and Draistal both being so young ....why is Edmonton in a win now mode? When Mario joined the Pens it wasn't overnight.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

With McDavid and Draistal both being so young ....why is Edmonton in a win now mode? When Mario joined the Pens it wasn't overnight.

Yeah im not convinced they would be in "win now" (and I actually think there's nearly NO CHANCE they trade McDavid) I just think that when you look at how unhappy he seems, and how restless the fans are getting there, I could see a GM saying "lets turn this one asset into many and turn this into an actual team."    With Draitsatl and RNH you'd still have a great 1 - 2 punch down the middle & fill several holes & possibly contend.

So i think it would be more about 'turning the franchise around' than winnning now.  Becoming a contender.   Thats why i think young guys like Domi, JK, Mete etc would be of interest to them.  Moreso that picks or prospects. 

• H_T_L locked this topic