The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah im not convinced they would be in "win now" (and I actually think there's nearly NO CHANCE they trade McDavid) I just think that when you look at how unhappy he seems, and how restless the fans are getting there, I could see a GM saying "lets turn this one asset into many and turn this into an actual team."    With Draitsatl and RNH you'd still have a great 1 - 2 punch down the middle & fill several holes & possibly contend.

So i think it would be more about 'turning the franchise around' than winnning now.  Becoming a contender.   Thats why i think young guys like Domi, JK, Mete etc would be of interest to them.  Moreso that picks or prospects. 

I agree with the sentiment here , but I'm sure they would trade Draitsatil or RNH (Draisatil would probably bring in more) before McDavid. What would our fan base think if we were in the same situation and we traded McDavid? Edmonton is a Hockey town so I'm sure you have fans there that are just as savvy as our own Habs fans. I'm sure they want to make McDavid happy also not trade him. How many cups had the oilers already won when the traded Gretsky and they weren't happy then!. In their position , I'd be looking to utilize either Draisatil or RNH, preferably RNH + picks prospects ect. The thing is Holland is a good GM and with both McDavid /Draitsatil being so young still he can build around those two.

3 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with the sentiment here , but I'm sure they would trade Draitsatil or RNH (Draisatil would probably bring in more) before McDavid. What would our fan base think if we were in the same situation and we traded McDavid? Edmonton is a Hockey town so I'm sure you have fans there that are just as savvy as our own Habs fans. I'm sure they want to make McDavid happy also not trade him. How many cups had the oilers already won when the traded Gretsky and they weren't happy then!. In their position , I'd be looking to utilize either Draisatil or RNH, preferably RNH + picks prospects ect. The thing is Holland is a good GM and with both McDavid /Draitsatil being so young still he can build around those two.

Right but thats why it was just a 'fun exercise"  i dont believe they will trade him.  

2 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

What would it take to get McCinnon?

My guess is a similar package but Colorado probably wants different types of players.   Like Edmonton, they have some very top end talent but they also have a lot of lower quality middle-lower tier players. 

Unlikely McDavid though, I dont think McKinnon is unhappy to be in Colorado... 

5 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

How about Draitsatil ? Draitsatil for JK + 1st rounder? Draitsatil is already proven. Free's up cap space for Edmonton to help get someone for McDavid. Moves up our position as Draitsatil is established.

Seems a reasonable offer. Not sure if I would do it, but that appears to be a fair offer.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

How about Draitsatil ? Draitsatil for JK + 1st rounder? Draitsatil is already proven. Free's up cap space for Edmonton to help get someone for McDavid. Moves up our position as Draitsatil is established.

Its a fair offer.  I wouldnt do it simply because JK is giving us great cap value for 2 more years while LD is already into his second contract.  Its not a terrible deal ($8.5m a year for what 6 or 7 more seasons) but you cant understimate the value of those ELCs on your cap. 

• 1 month later...

I would find a first pairing LHD one way or another. Price keeps making little remarks about his window and he is right! if we get off to a slow start there will be a lot of unhappy vets on this team and M.B will have no excuse whatsoever as he could have made some kind of deal to fill that hole over the last two years so he is going to own it one way or another.

17 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I would find a first pairing LHD one way or another. Price keeps making little remarks about his window and he is right! if we get off to a slow start there will be a lot of unhappy vets on this team and M.B will have no excuse whatsoever as he could have made some kind of deal to fill that hole over the last two years so he is going to own it one way or another.

It would be nice to know what deals he's attempted.  I have a hard time believing he is just sitting on his hands, but the problem with having guys like JK, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield etc is that other GMs will start and end discussions involving them.  I think if the deal is right (if you could get a Provorov or a Werenski) then you possibly move one of those guys but it would not be an easy decision thats for sure.  

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It would be nice to know what deals he's attempted.  I have a hard time believing he is just sitting on his hands, but the problem with having guys like JK, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield etc is that other GMs will start and end discussions involving them.  I think if the deal is right (if you could get a Provorov or a Werenski) then you possibly move one of those guys but it would not be an easy decision thats for sure.  

Of the players listed here my initial thought is you move Poehling, JK is going to be our number 1 or 2 center in the very near furture. Suzuki will be a top 6 RW and if Poehling is moved could slot in at 2 or 3 center. Caufield is too much of a goal scorer to let go much like having a Laine or Ovechkin if he works out. I would much rather move a RHD but of the 4 listed above I think Poehling would be the most expendable. Just my opinion of course.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Of the players listed here my initial thought is you move Poehling, JK is going to be our number 1 or 2 center in the very near furture. Suzuki will be a top 6 RW and if Poehling is moved could slot in at 2 or 3 center. Caufield is too much of a goal scorer to let go much like having a Laine or Ovechkin if he works out. I would much rather move a RHD but of the 4 listed above I think Poehling would be the most expendable. Just my opinion of course.

43 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

After watching Poehling play last weekend it would take an extreme offer to even consider moving him, I would be more inclined to move Evans, Brooks, Fluery to get a LHD.  

I think it takes a major, "cant say no" offer to move one of those guys but sometimes you have to pull that trigger.   As I mentioned in another thread, id probably call Romanov nearly untouchable but if Philly wants to talk details in a Provorov for Romanov swap, you have to listen. 

So like 26NCounting, it would have to be a VERY special offer for me to move Poehling or Suzuki or someone, if the return was right, Id consider it.  If we're moving a prospect I would put my money on Fleury or Brook - or maybe even Mete (if the return is a better, young LHD).  

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

After watching Poehling play last weekend it would take an extreme offer to even consider moving him, I would be more inclined to move Evans, Brooks, Fluery to get a LHD.  

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think it takes a major, "cant say no" offer to move one of those guys but sometimes you have to pull that trigger.   As I mentioned in another thread, id probably call Romanov nearly untouchable but if Philly wants to talk details in a Provorov for Romanov swap, you have to listen. 

So like 26NCounting, it would have to be a VERY special offer for me to move Poehling or Suzuki or someone, if the return was right, Id consider it.  If we're moving a prospect I would put my money on Fleury or Brook - or maybe even Mete (if the return is a better, young LHD).  

A lot of GM's and armchair GM's have the same viewpoint: we tend to over-value our own assets. The great worry every GM has is that they trade away a player who goes on to do great things or exceed the value placed on them as a prospect. If you trade Suzuki or Caufield or Brook or Romanov or so on, there's a chance they go on to be impact players. The same can be said about Sergachev. It comes down to how confident you are in your group's ability to project that the return you're getting is better than what you're giving up. Like I said when the Sergachev-Drouin trade was made, it was a toss up at that time (and still is IMO) as to which player will have the better career. Drouin was more of a sure thing but Sergachev had more potential for impact because he plays a more important position.

I'd ask the question in reverse. If we had Provorov or Werenski right now as our 1st pairing LHD, you probably wouldn't consider trading them for a Suzuki or a Poehling or a Brook. You would look at the left D behind that player and say Mete, Chiarot, Kulak, hmmm... maybe not the best idea to give up our best LHD for a prospect. Likewise, we could talk about trading Petry... would you do it for a prospect? For me, it would have to be someone who was pretty darn close to stepping into the top 4 on the left side to justify that decision.

There are two ways MB could win a trade by dealing a top prospect. The obvious way is to get the better player in the deal. But past that, he also has to look at his Cup window, which is something I've talked about for a long time. If you want to trade away Price, Weber, and Petry for prospects, then fine, that's one story where you're trying to shift and extend your Cup window. But if you're sticking with them, then what Carey said is true: his window to win a Cup is shrinking quickly and it needs to happen soon. If you don't think a Brook or a Poehling or a Romanov are going to be impact players for you in the next three years, then why not try to deal one for someone who will be...

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

Less long contracts. More short contracts. Allow us a flexibility too us and our habs players. A winning recipe.

23 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

yeah not many players would agree.

Yeah, therein lies the problem. Young guys (who you want signed long term) will want short contracts, older players wont sign for short term deals... 

• 3 weeks later...

Drouin has to go, he is not helping this team, I would even be willing to get picks for him. I cannot find the video, but after KK scored last nigh it showed a clip of Droiun KK and Armia on the bench, Armia and KK tapping each other and smiling, Drouin taps KK on the pads pants holds out hand for fist pump, and KK does not even acknowledge he is there. I think droiun does not fit in well on this team,

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

Drouin has to go, he is not helping this team, I would even be willing to get picks for him. I cannot find the video, but after KK scored last nigh it showed a clip of Droiun KK and Armia on the bench, Armia and KK tapping each other and smiling, Drouin taps KK on the pads pants holds out hand for fist pump, and KK does not even acknowledge he is there. I think droiun does not fit in well on this team,

I saw that but I wouldn't read anything into it ...Kk just didn't know he was fist pumping and was looking straight ahead and then down  ..that line had dominant shifts on the ice ..I thought Drouin for the most part had a pretty good game ...I like to know the input of the players on the team before  suggesting after one game he doesn't fit in or isn't liked ..

3 hours ago, arpem-can said:

I saw that but I wouldn't read anything into it ...Kk just didn't know he was fist pumping and was looking straight ahead and then down  ..that line had dominant shifts on the ice ..I thought Drouin for the most part had a pretty good game ...I like to know the input of the players on the team before  suggesting after one game he doesn't fit in or isn't liked ..

I agree Drouin actually had a great game he even back checked hard and was instrumental in a lot of the plays either creating them or keeping them alive. I think he and JK might develop a good game together. It would definitely create three solid lines that can score. Just because preseason didn't look great for Drouin I wouldn't write him off yet. JK  actually had a pretty bad preseason. I think Domi and Suzuki (who didn't really have a great game last night...looked nervous) could also develop some chemistry. I hope they let these lines stay together for a bit.

• H_T_L locked this topic