The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 If i were GM

H_T_L

Extension for Domi is a good question but if it was not explored preseason, it’s probably not worthy of discussion until the all star break by either side - certainly it would be beneficial to have Domi locked up prior to next years July 1 negotiations so that a message of keeping core assets is sent. I loved Radulovs energy and skill but am much happier with our youth movement 

50 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Should we work on an extension for Max Domi now?

I feel like we've probably got a consistent 60-65 point guy. I wonder if his camp would consider signing an extension now or if they want to wait and see how the season unfolds. Who knows? Maybe he hits 75 points. Earns himself a higher payday.

My feeling is that MB may have already had discussions with his agent but that Domi wants to play one more year before signing.  I think it would have been ideal to sign him last year but i think that ship has sailed. He's going to have another strong season & he's going to get paid imho. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Should we work on an extension for Max Domi now?

I feel like we've probably got a consistent 60-65 point guy. I wonder if his camp would consider signing an extension now or if they want to wait and see how the season unfolds. Who knows? Maybe he hits 75 points. Earns himself a higher payday.

27 minutes ago, maas_art said:

My feeling is that MB may have already had discussions with his agent but that Domi wants to play one more year before signing.  I think it would have been ideal to sign him last year but i think that ship has sailed. He's going to have another strong season & he's going to get paid imho. 

According to the following article MB has already started talks with Domi. There are plenty of other articles to back up the information but I didn't want to list them all LOL.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/09/montreal-canadiens-max-domi-in-extension-talks.html

Here are the essentials of a Domi deal...

1. He's going to become the highest-paid forward on the team and it won't be close. Only Gallagher could really stake a claim to having earned a higher AAV right now.

2. The market he's looking at is probably going to be set somewhere between what William Nylander got (6.9M AAV) and what Mikko Rantanen (9.25M) and Nikita Kucherov (9.5M) got. I don't think Domi can realistically ask for something in the 9's with the market they set, and I'm not even sure he can expect more than the 8.4M Bergevin tried to use to lure Aho out of Carolina.

3. Further to that, MB isn't going to pay Domi more than what he's paying Price.

So to me, the question is where between 7 and 8.5M does the cap figure land and how many years is it for. I don't see value in going 8 years with him. I think the best contract MB can look at would be a 6-year deal for 7M a season. I'm not sure that will cut it, although we know MB is tight-pursed at bargaining deals with his RFA's and got good value on the likes of Gallagher and Eller and Galchenyuk and so on. My best guess is that they're going to go 7-8 years at about 8M a season, and I think both MD and MB will be happy to go long-term on this deal.

Beaulieu is injured long-term. Buff is still pondering if he ever wants to play again. And now Kulikov has been granted a non-medical leave of absence by the Jets. Winnipeg is playing with a pack of AHL defencemen right now. Not sure if there will ever be a better time for Bergevin to get a better return for Reilly in a trade.

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Beaulieu is injured long-term. Buff is still pondering if he ever wants to play again. And now Kulikov has been granted a non-medical leave of absence by the Jets. Winnipeg is playing with a pack of AHL defencemen right now. Not sure if there will ever be a better time for Bergevin to get a better return for Reilly in a trade.

You could almost steal Laine at this point if you offered enough depth players

2 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I don’t know guys, Laine has 6 points in 4 games. I get that they need help on D but why would Winnipeg trade him for our spare parts and a 2nd rounder? I‘m certain there’s a much better deal out there.

Yeah I was kind of joking but you may be able to entice them with say Kulak, Juulsen, Evans and Reilly + a 1st or something to that effect

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I don’t know guys, Laine has 6 points in 4 games. I get that they need help on D but why would Winnipeg trade him for our spare parts and a 2nd rounder? I‘m certain there’s a much better deal out there.

For sure. And he's young. If they are indeed going to be going through a transition year i think a guy like Wheeler is much more likely to be dealt. 

Mike McCarron on waivers.   Presumably healthy enough to come off the LTIR. 

I suspect he'll pass through (did so last year) but there's always a chance someone takes a floater on him.  He's still got some intriguing skills (and his skating has apparently gotten better).   If he clears, another year with Bouchard could help, but injuries continue to derail his development too.   

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Mike McCarron on waivers.   Presumably healthy enough to come off the LTIR. 

I suspect he'll pass through (did so last year) but there's always a chance someone takes a floater on him.  He's still got some intriguing skills (and his skating has apparently gotten better).   If he clears, another year with Bouchard could help, but injuries continue to derail his development too.   

I feel for this kid and the expectations Montreal had for him  ..we could still use some of his toughness  but we have 2  or 3 D who can drop them ...forwards not so much except for Domi but the game has changed ...despite McCarron skating faster I think on this club he'd have a hard time keeping up ….getting picked up might be a hard sell with his injury rap sheet but I wish him well either way 

19 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

I feel for this kid and the expectations Montreal had for him  ..we could still use some of his toughness  but we have 2  or 3 D who can drop them ...forwards not so much except for Domi but the game has changed ...despite McCarron skating faster I think on this club he'd have a hard time keeping up ….getting picked up might be a hard sell with his injury rap sheet but I wish him well either way 

Expectations overwhelmed him IMO, not sure how he was ever selected in the first round.  He didn't really have any goal scoring and his skating left a lot to be desired. 

7 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Is Drouin proving us all wrong or is it just a flash in the pan?? Nice to see him skating with some motivation and using his speed 

I think its legit. I was willing to trade him in offseason for good LD but even then I thought he would pick up his play. I think he's legit

9 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Is Drouin proving us all wrong or is it just a flash in the pan?? Nice to see him skating with some motivation and using his speed 

Tough to say at this point. I think most agree that if he can maintain this level of effort he will be a much better/more effective player.  

I feel like he's been due. He's had flashes of brilliance every year but the first couple of games is the first ive seen of him playing like this since that one year in the TB playoffs when he looked like a game-changer. 

Just now, maas_art said:

Tough to say at this point. I think most agree that if he can maintain this level of effort he will be a much better/more effective player.  

I feel like he's been due. He's had flashes of brilliance every year but the first couple of games is the first ive seen of him playing like this since that one year in the TB playoffs when he looked like a game-changer. 

I believe he wants to be in Montreal so I think he's actually going to give it the effort. As long as he gives effort the points will come and even if he doesn't get 60+ pt's if his game is strong overall I'm fine with that and so will Jullien be. I know he had a tough pre-season but hey so did JK really. 

24 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Drouin is the most talented player on this team. Playing with the right players he will maintain this all year. He briefly played with Domi and Byron the last game and wow that was fun to watch.  I have always been a supporter of his and so he is proving me right.

18 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I believe he wants to be in Montreal so I think he's actually going to give it the effort. As long as he gives effort the points will come and even if he doesn't get 60+ pt's if his game is strong overall I'm fine with that and so will Jullien be. I know he had a tough pre-season but hey so did JK really. 

If he can break 50 without putting in effort, I actually feel like he's nearly a PPG player if he plays this way all year. 

38 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hypothetical:

Would you trade Jesperi Kotkaniemi for Miro Heiskanen?

For the reverse reason I wouldnt have traded Sergachev for Drouin (we were deep in LW but lacking LD) I would trade JK for Heiskanen.   I like JK - i like him a lot - and i think he probably has the best chance of reaching potential of all the centres we have but with Suzuki, Domi, Poehling, Evans, Olaffson etc, we're set for a while. Even Danault is only 26. 

Heiskanen would not only be our top LD (by a long shot!) but also our top D, period.  I make that move every day - even though it would really hurt to see JK gone. I dont see Dallas making that trade & in fact when they were looking at trading for Karlsson I believe he was the one guy rumoured to be "untouchable"  

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hypothetical:

Would you trade Jesperi Kotkaniemi for Miro Heiskanen?

Agreed with the other responses you got: I would do it but not sure Dallas would. Dallas isn't pressed for a player like JK and I think finding a Heiskanen right now is harder. I think we have better options to fill in the center position in coming years with Poehling, Suzuki, Domi (as Jedi said too) but not too many options for LHD (Romanov and even he isn't a sure thing to come over here or be NHL-ready).

• H_T_L locked this topic