Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

FWIW, Dreger said he thought Gardiner would be signing within the next couple of days and that Montreal's interest had really picked up (albeit this was before Chiarot signing was announced)...

i think if we picked him up with the addition of Chiarot we would be quite strong on D! our right side is already  solid adding Gardiner to what we have now would give us a very solid top 4 with a lot of great options for the bottom 2 who could always move up if we have any injuries or if they just develop enough. Chiarot and Webber both have very heavy slapshots Gardiner is a good playmaker on the power play add to that Petry and Mete and that is pretty good offensive potential on D for the power play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, habsisme said:

With the chiarot signing, there is no way we can sign Gardiner. We don't have the cap space. Our only hope is through trade. I'll judge this move by what Gardiner ends up signing for. We don't know right now

We'd definitely have to move someone which is another reason a trade makes more sense.  We still have to sign Lehks, Armia and (possibly) Hudon and McCarron. So there's enough money for that, but doesnt leave much -  not enough for Gardiner.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So, after a few RFA signings and one UFA acquisition, I guess we're expecting the D to look something like this:

Victor Mete - Shea Weber

Ben Chiarot - Jeff Petry

Brett Kulak - Christian Folin

 

 

 

God I hope not ideally Mete would slot back and Juulsen would be in Folin's spot. But probably 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am looking at the teams in our division and while Toronto and Florida got better, they still have major holes. Toronto upgraded their D but their middle 6 are questionable and who are they going to have to move to for Mariner in. Tampa and the Bruins pretty well stood pat except that Tampa has to sign both Point and Erne plus have 3 RHD on entry level contracts which is never ideal. Buffalo, Detroit and Ottawa are still the bottom having done nothing to really improve again this year. So here is my prediction for 2019-2020 

Boston

Toronto

Montreal/Florida/Tampa (these three will be fighting for the last spot however depending on how well Kinkade works out we could move up)

Buffalo

Ottawa

Detroit

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So, after a few RFA signings and one UFA acquisition, I guess we're expecting the D to look something like this:

Victor Mete - Shea Weber

Ben Chiarot - Jeff Petry

Brett Kulak - Christian Folin

I think the hope is that folin is the #7 and Juulsen is 3rd Rd.   But even still.  Imagine if we had traded for Ghost.  

Ghostibehere - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen


Night and day better. I think there's a legit chance you could have built a trade around Shaw too, but instead we took draft picks... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think the hope is that folin is the #7 and Juulsen is 3rd Rd.   But even still.  Imagine if we had traded for Ghost.  

Ghostibehere - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen


Night and day better. I think there's a legit chance you could have built a trade around Shaw too, but instead we took draft picks... 

This is exactly why I have such a bad taste in my mouth. Thats what I expected. Thats a move from a GM who is serious about winning and addressing a team need. This Chiarot move is a move by a loser who isnt serious about anything other than window dressing to keep his job

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

This is exactly why I have such a bad taste in my mouth. Thats what I expected. Thats a move from a GM who is serious about winning and addressing a team need. This Chiarot move is a move by a loser who isnt serious about anything other than window dressing to keep his job

 

22 minutes ago, habsisme said:

We dont know what trades are available or how Gardiner will cost. Can't judge until we di

Its true. And as a "glass half full" guy Im still willing to wait for a bit & see what he does. I just cant believe "this is it." 

Maybe there's several deals in the works, maybe Chiarot got signed because player(s) are being moved - no way to know right now.  But based on his (MB's) history, its a little worrisome that 'these are your 2019-2020 Montreal Canadiens" 

As for Gardiner, unless we move some players, we arent signing him.  We have roughly $8m+ in cap space but need to sign Armia, Lehkonen, McCarron and maybe Hudon.   If we bury Weise and Alzner that number goes up to roughly $10.5m  but even still you have to figure we need to alot at least $5m of that to contracts.  

My guess is that he wanted too much term for MB, or maybe the pro scouts just dont think he's a good fit (although i dont know how they thing Chiarot will be a good one)


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Its true. And as a "glass half full" guy Im still willing to wait for a bit & see what he does. I just cant believe "this is it." 

Maybe there's several deals in the works, maybe Chiarot got signed because player(s) are being moved - no way to know right now.  But based on his (MB's) history, its a little worrisome that 'these are your 2019-2020 Montreal Canadiens" 

As for Gardiner, unless we move some players, we arent signing him.  We have roughly $8m+ in cap space but need to sign Armia, Lehkonen, McCarron and maybe Hudon.   If we bury Weise and Alzner that number goes up to roughly $10.5m  but even still you have to figure we need to alot at least $5m of that to contracts.  

My guess is that he wanted too much term for MB, or maybe the pro scouts just dont think he's a good fit (although i dont know how they thing Chiarot will be a good one)

I don't expect Hudon or McCarron to be with Montreal either. So... if resigned, they may be just demoted to Laval after camp.

Hopefully we'll see the Lehkonen and Armia deals completed shortly. Although, Armia elected for salary arbitration last time, so... maybe he goes that route again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't expect Hudon or McCarron to be with Montreal either. So... if resigned, they may be just demoted to Laval after camp.

Hopefully we'll see the Lehkonen and Armia deals completed shortly. Although, Armia elected for salary arbitration last time, so... maybe he goes that route again.

I agree both Hudon and McCarron are probably headed for Laval and Lehkonen and Armia should be back but I also think both Armia and Hudon are headed for arbitration. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

I agree both Hudon and McCarron are probably headed for Laval and Lehkonen and Armia should be back but I also think both Armia and Hudon are headed for arbitration. 

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Hudon also went to arbitration. He should be careful, he might get handed out an unfavorable two-way contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure about  Gosisbhere as a #1LD as his giveaways in his own end are pretty brutal. Andrighetto although a better player is similar to Hudon and I think he is being released. Perhaps Andrighetto should be someone we're looking at instead of Hudon. I agree with giving McCarron a look but could see him being traded or released if his injury has impacted him. Hudon is in a tough spot as it appears we have the prospects in place to take his job, Evans may get a good look this fall and Poehling should fill in for Shaw nicely.

 Signing Varrone, Weal and Thompson also doesn't help Hudon who's offensive skills are not really what we need on our 4th line. The competition for 3rd and 4th line positions will be fun to watch this year. Bergevin has done a good job at creating the depth we need.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Not sure why we felt compelled to add Nick Cousins to our roster. Aren't Matthew Peca, Nate Thompson, Jordan Weal, and Philip Varone enough to choose from for the fourth line center role?

I think this was simply to tell us fans "this is it. we've now dwindled away almost all our cap space (once we sign our RFAS) so dont dream of any other guys joining the roster." 


Kidding aside, he's relatively young.  Wonder if Domi had any part in this - did they play together in Arizona? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Not sure why we felt compelled to add Nick Cousins to our roster. Aren't Matthew Peca, Nate Thompson, Jordan Weal, and Philip Varone enough to choose from for the fourth line center role?

 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

By the way, we now have, at centre:

Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Suzuki, Weal, Thompson and Cousins

We seem to have a lot of 4th line centers. The other interesting thing is that we now have 48 of our 50 allowed professional contracts signed (including our 4 RFA's but not counting Aho). There is some speculation that adding Cousins and taking on another contract means the Habs might be planning on shipping out bodies. Like I said elsewhere, the Jets are a team that needs some cost-controlled forwards to fill out their roster and might be willing to part with a better-paid, better-skilled player in return. So might we consider shipping out some of Hudon, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault, Byron, etc. (in some combination with picks or prospects) in exchange for someone like Laine or Ehlers? Habs have been rumored to have inquired about both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

 

We seem to have a lot of 4th line centers. The other interesting thing is that we now have 48 of our 50 allowed professional contracts signed (including our 4 RFA's but not counting Aho). There is some speculation that adding Cousins and taking on another contract means the Habs might be planning on shipping out bodies. Like I said elsewhere, the Jets are a team that needs some cost-controlled forwards to fill out their roster and might be willing to part with a better-paid, better-skilled player in return. So might we consider shipping out some of Hudon, Drouin, Lehkonen, Armia, Danault, Byron, etc. (in some combination with picks or prospects) in exchange for someone like Laine or Ehlers? Habs have been rumored to have inquired about both.

I dont want to get my hopes up but it sure feels like we have too many players.  I know that MB has a fetish for depth but this is getting silly.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont want to get my hopes up but it sure feels like we have too many players.  I know that MB has a fetish for depth but this is getting silly.   

The other thing is that in the AHL line-up, you're only allowed 5 skaters who have played over 320 professional games... if Cousins goes down, you now have Weal, Thompson, Cousins, Varone, Weise, Ouellet, and Alzner who are all over that limit. You can also have one additional player who has played more than 260 games but less than 320, with Hudon, Reilly, Peca, and Folin all falling here. So bottom line is that not all these guys can suit up for Laval at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

The other thing is that in the AHL line-up, you're only allowed 5 skaters who have played over 320 professional games... if Cousins goes down, you now have Weal, Thompson, Cousins, Varone, Weise, Ouellet, and Alzner who are all over that limit. You can also have one additional player who has played more than 260 games but less than 320, with Hudon, Reilly, Peca, and Folin all falling here. So bottom line is that not all these guys can suit up for Laval at the same time.

the-plot-thickens-59c11a.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

. So here is my prediction for 2019-2020 

Boston

Toronto

Montreal/Florida/Tampa (these three will be fighting for the last spot however depending on how well Kinkade works out we could move up)

why do you think Tampa is going to regress ?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...