The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-20 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

^^^^^^^^

The sooner MB leaves town the sooner we can actually work towards laying the foundations for a legit team.

Every time we play Ottawa and compare KK vs Tkachuk I just feel ill that we could have had him. 

KK is not a bad player but certainly not a top 5 pick type of player

I'd take KK over Tkachuk every day.    KK has more potential, is a natural Center and is just as tall and still has time to fill out.     He's also almost a year younger than Tkachuk and showed he could play against men in the Finnish league.    Is he more rough around the edges?   sure ... but his ceiling is higher.    He was projected to go top 5, we took him at 3 as he was considered the best Center in the draft.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think the bottom line is that it's a crapshoot at this time. I remember the draft and most people shrugged off Tkachuk as being overrated because of his size/grit/pedigree and with questions about how his lack of scoring in U.S. college would translate to the NHL. It's always trickier to compare college players to junior players, where the competition is easier/younger. At draft time, most pundits and fans were wondering if we should take JK or Zadina and Tkachuk was further down the radar...

That said, the fact Tkachuk is bigger and has played against older, bigger players before the NHL, it's not that surprising that he's a bit faster out of the gate. It doesn't mean you would go back and draft him ahead of JK. Players like Barkov and McKinnon and so on have taken time to find their groove in the NHL too, and the skill is clearly there with Kotkaniemi. As I posted, he played well last year as a rookie and he played well this year with Drouin and Armia and had a really good shift with Suzuki and Lehkonen in a recent game. When he's gotten to play with skilled linemates, he hasn't looked out of place. He's looked less impressive playing with Cousins and Weal, but that's on the coaches.

If you were to re-draft 2018 now, I think you'd easily still  see Dahlin and Svechnikov as 1-2, but those weren't options for us. Past that, I'm not sure you'd get consensus, although I think Zadina would drop a bit and the 3-5 spots would probably be a mixture of people liking JK, Tkachuk, Hughes, Hayton, and maybe some votes for Bouchard, Zadina, and even Dobson. Point being, I don't think Kotkaniemi would be an unreasonable choice at #3 if you were doing it over again tomorrow.

I have no issue with KK in fact i see him improving quite a bit in the last couple of games. he looked lost for a bit this year but he is still a kid and i will agree he has not had the best linemates most of this year i have no use for Weal at all and cousins is a spare in my eyes he is ok but we have better players than him for sure!

Also ... lets compare apples to apples and not oranges to apples.

Brady Tkachuk is being used on the top line, getting 18-20 minutes a night ... he is used on their top PP unit etc etc.    He is on pace to match his rookie output of 45 pts over 82 games.

Kotkaniemi is almost a full year younger, playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd line averaging 13 minutes, minimal PP time and usually gets the joy of playing with two plugs.

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Dam Galant would look fantastic behind the habs bench, but then again at this point Mickey Mouse would look better than what we have.  I keep hearing rumours of MB being shown the door, anyone living in MTL able to put any truth to this??

I too saw an article the other day I think it was on sbnation that said MB has a foot out the door and CJ could be soon to follow. Not sure how true it was or not but here's hoping

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I too saw an article the other day I think it was on sbnation that said MB has a foot out the door and CJ could be soon to follow. Not sure how true it was or not but here's hoping

Sounds like an opinion piece rather than anything based on fact.

Sure... [Insert statement about how Bergevin MIGHT get fired]. Might happen. Might not. Great.

I doubt many people (if any) really know what Geoff Molson is thinking. I would certainly be amenable to Bergevin being fired. I care less about the coaching staff. I don't think there's an immediate concern that Julien doesn't know what he's doing. I just think, from a higher level planning perspective, Bergevin won't ever be able to put together a contender.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Sounds like an opinion piece rather than anything based on fact.

Sure... [Insert statement about how Bergevin MIGHT get fired]. Might happen. Might not. Great.

I doubt many people (if any) really know what Geoff Molson is thinking. I would certainly be amenable to Bergevin being fired. I care less about the coaching staff. I don't think there's an immediate concern that Julien doesn't know what he's doing. I just think, from a higher level planning perspective, Bergevin won't ever be able to put together a contender.

I think Montreal should make a move to bring Gallant back in the fold in some capacity and to eventually to become the coach  ...he has always been great with young players ….coaches simply lose the room at sometime point down  the road sooner or later ( part of the job ) ..look at Quennville and Babcock for starters ...not that many Toe Blakes or Bowmans around any more winning Cups all the time 

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I think Montreal should make a move to bring Gallant back in the fold in some capacity and to eventually to become the coach  ...he has always been great with young players ….coaches simply lose the room at sometime point down  the road sooner or later ( part of the job ) ..look at Quennville and Babcock for starters ...not that many Toe Blakes or Bowmans around any more winning Cups all the time 

If you look at his times being coach Florida now Vegas he seems to "lose" the room pretty quickly. Do we want a coach for 2 years then gone? There's probably a reason he has short tenure?  

3 hours ago, arpem-can said:

Gallant?

Didn't he make Tatar a healthy scratch in Nevada last season... And here Tatar is leading our team in points.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Gallant?

Didn't he make Tatar a healthy scratch in Nevada last season... And here Tatar is leading our team in points.

Yeah, as much as I like Gallant, there's no way he gets looked at here as long as Tatar is on the roster. Plus, despite having a French-sounding name he doesnt speak French so you know... 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, as much as I like Gallant, there's no way he gets looked at here as long as Tatar is on the roster. Plus, despite having a French-sounding name he doesnt speak French so you know... 

Tatar didn't fit into that line-up for whatever reasons and when he did play he didn't really produce ...sometimes that happens . Vegas management gave up a ton for him  looking for some magic for their play-off run . That turned out well for us . I don't care about the French -speaking thing any way . What do the Habs have 3 guys that are from Quebec ? and that's with recent addition Scandella who might be gone anyway . I don't even think Gallant is the right guy for head coach but everyone seems to want Julien gone . When he was with the Habs the first time he had a very good connection to the young players . 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah. I don't care about getting Gallant back here. I'm fine with Julien right now. Once we miss the post-season, and Bergevin possibly gets fired, we can reevaluate the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah. I don't care about getting Gallant back here. I'm fine with Julien right now. Once we miss the post-season, and Bergevin possibly gets fired, we can reevaluate the coaching staff.

I tend to believe Dominic Ducharme is the coach of the future- he did a good job with the cdn juniors a few years ago 

I hope we don’t recycle Laviolette 

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Gallant?

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

1. I hope the Habs look long and hard at trading Tatar anyways. Not because he isn't good, but because his value is high and I don't think we can afford to keep him past next season anyways.

2. I believe the Habs called Gallant to interview him when they fired Therrien, but they decided to go with Julien before Gallant could make it here. I believe they would waive the French-only policy for him. There was apparently a bit of media excitement yesterday because Gallant landed at Dorval airport in Montreal and people wondered if he was coming here to meet the Habs, but finally the story is that he was on his way back home to Moncton and had a layover here.

There are a lot of rumors out there right now that Julien is going to be fired soon, possibly at the All-Star break when there's a chance for a new guy to come in. Gallant is definitely a guy Bergevin has looked upon favorably before, so I think he's a candidate. I think Joel Bouchard would also get consideration. Not sure Ducharme has done enough as an assistant to earn a look yet, ditto for Muller. I also have a sneaking suspicion they'd consider Patrick Roy, although maybe moreso if Bergevin was on his way out, because I think Roy wants to be his own GM...

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There are a lot of rumors out there right now that Julien is going to be fired soon, possibly at the All-Star break when there's a chance for a new guy to come in. Gallant is definitely a guy Bergevin has looked upon favorably before, so I think he's a candidate. I think Joel Bouchard would also get consideration. Not sure Ducharme has done enough as an assistant to earn a look yet, ditto for Muller. I also have a sneaking suspicion they'd consider Patrick Roy, although maybe moreso if Bergevin was on his way out, because I think Roy wants to be his own GM...

I like Roy’s passion as GM replacement as he quit the avs because he did not feel his owners were committed to winning 

I would be a little worried about Patrick’s short fuse as you need to have some patience in that role of GM 

I think Molson will make the decisions close to season end and not mid-season 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

1. I hope the Habs look long and hard at trading Tatar anyways. Not because he isn't good, but because his value is high and I don't think we can afford to keep him past next season anyways.

2. I believe the Habs called Gallant to interview him when they fired Therrien, but they decided to go with Julien before Gallant could make it here. I believe they would waive the French-only policy for him. There was apparently a bit of media excitement yesterday because Gallant landed at Dorval airport in Montreal and people wondered if he was coming here to meet the Habs, but finally the story is that he was on his way back home to Moncton and had a layover here.

Wouldn’t that be something amazing?! I like Therien and MB, but just imagine...

Molson fires both of them during the break and hires Roy. Roy takes over as both head coach and GM to finish the season. While behind the bench he gets a real close look at what we have to work with, makes the trades at the deadline, draft etc and then hires the coach. Could be any of the big names floating around, could be Ducharm, who knows. All I know is I’d be frigg’n ecstatic!

25 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Wouldn’t that be something amazing?! I like Therien and MB, but just imagine...

Molson fires both of them during the break and hires Roy. Roy takes over as both head coach and GM to finish the season. While behind the bench he gets a real close look at what we have to work with, makes the trades at the deadline, draft etc and then hires the coach. Could be any of the big names floating around, could be Ducharm, who knows. All I know is I’d be frigg’n ecstatic!

i hate that idea. it would be a constant media circus.

57 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm also not sold on Roy coming in here, but I feel like if MB goes, Roy is going to be on the list of people Molson considers...

I would be good with Roy as GM he can at least tell skill from grinders. Also look what he has built with his Q team. Price would get a good backup, defense would be fixed and even though passion sometimes gets the best of him he is and always has been a student of the game pushing rules and conventional wisdom to the brink and sometimes beyond. I say let the Roy era start.

• H_T_L locked this topic