The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2019-20 Habs Lines

BigTed3

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Well looks like the Habs coaches are at it again. Cousins is in Suzuki out for the Tampa game. I know Cousins needs game action but why not pull Weal or Thompson instead of Suzuki. CJ is going back to his experience over skill style of coaching we really need to get rid of him. Lines at practice were

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Weal
Drouin - Kotkaniemi/Suzuki - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Cousins

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Folin
Reilly - Fleury

Price
Kinkaid

Not so sure its experience over skill as much as giving the kid a game off here or there to look at film. Cousins does need to get the splinters from the bench with and this is a good game to do it. Get the experienced player in a game against a team that could negatively impact Suzuki's confidence. Kotkoniemi had the same treatment last year and I expect any other young first year players  that are called up will receive the same treatment.

15 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Sitting in the pressbox does not help you become a better player. Playing in all game situations make you a better player. Making mistakes and not being demoted a line and sent to the pressbox does not help you become a better player. 

If they sat him against Ottawa or a much lesser team it may be different but Tampa has a lot of fire power and mistakes can be amplified because of that. Also several star players during the rookie years Stamkos one of them were sat on and off while being rookies. We're all glad Suzuki made the team. That said it's a big jump from juniors and this isn't pre-season anymore either. If he was looking great just not capitalizing on chances or somethin that would be different. He has looked overwhelmed sometimes and some myself included have suggested maybe a stint back in the AHL , so sitting and learning isn't a bad thing. I don't think anyone wants him to sit for an extended period. He needs to know also there are no givens either just from draft position or what you did in another league. JK sat a few times last year also. He doesn't need to be rushed either. 

Per John Lu of TSN.ca, Cousins (back) didn't participate in line rushes during morning skate, indicating he won't be in the lineup for Tuesday's game against Tampa Bay.

Cousins skated on the fourth line during Monday's practice, but he's evidently still not quite ready to make his season debut. He does, however, appear to be trending in the right direction, so there's a good chance he'll be cleared to play ahead of Thursday's matchup with Minnesota.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Per John Lu of TSN.ca, Cousins (back) didn't participate in line rushes during morning skate, indicating he won't be in the lineup for Tuesday's game against Tampa Bay.

Cousins skated on the fourth line during Monday's practice, but he's evidently still not quite ready to make his season debut. He does, however, appear to be trending in the right direction, so there's a good chance he'll be cleared to play ahead of Thursday's matchup with Minnesota.

Yup, no changes tonight.

Tatar – Danault – Gallagher
Lehkonen – Domi – Weal
Drouin – Kotkaniemi – Armia
Byron – Thompson – Suzuki

Mete – Weber
Kulak – Petry
Chiarot – Folin

Price in nets. 

Lines at practice today:

Lehkonen – Domi – Suzuki
Drouin – Kotkaniemi – Cousins
Byron – Thompson – Weal

Mete – Weber
Kulak – Petry
Chiarot – Fleury
Reilly – Folin

A few notes:
- Armia still out with injury (Cousins in his spot).   
- Suzuki back up on the Domi line
- Weal in a more manageable 4th line role
- Fleury looks like he should remain in the lineup

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Lines at practice today:

Lehkonen – Domi – Suzuki
Drouin – Kotkaniemi – Cousins
Byron – Thompson – Weal

Mete – Weber
Kulak – Petry
Chiarot – Fleury
Reilly – Folin

A few notes:
- Armia still out with injury (Cousins in his spot).   
- Suzuki back up on the Domi line
- Weal in a more manageable 4th line role
- Fleury looks like he should remain in the lineup

I like Suzuki on the second line! once Armia is back i see him on the third and weal out with Cousins on the fourth.

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Armia back on the ice today at practice. 

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Suzuki/Armia
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Byron
Cousins - Thompson - Weal

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury
Reilly - Folin

Price
Kinkaid

Tatar left practice early with a lower body injury possibly from a hit he took in a 1-1 drill against Weber.

Apparently when Tatar left Drouin moved up to the Danault line but before that we had a line of Drouin - Domi - Suzuki  which sounds like it could be pure magic.

Of course the downside is that JK then gets Lehks & Byron as his wingers - two fine players but not really what our future #1 really needs right now imho. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Apparently when Tatar left Drouin moved up to the Danault line but before that we had a line of Drouin - Domi - Suzuki  which sounds like it could be pure magic.

Of course the downside is that JK then gets Lehks & Byron as his wingers - two fine players but not really what our future #1 really needs right now imho. 

Agreed especially considering the chemistry that he was building with Drouin. However Drouin is playing well and has earned the promotion. 

Tatar was hit in the foot with a Shea Weber shot according to Engels. Once Tatar went down Suzuki was moved to the top line and Armia played with Drouin-Domi. Sometimes its weird how CJ likes one young player over another. Suzuki gets a shot at the top line while Kotkaniemi still gets the scraps for wingers.

28 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agreed especially considering the chemistry that he was building with Drouin. However Drouin is playing well and has earned the promotion. 

Tatar was hit in the foot with a Shea Weber shot according to Engels. Once Tatar went down Suzuki was moved to the top line and Armia played with Drouin-Domi. Sometimes its weird how CJ likes one young player over another. Suzuki gets a shot at the top line while Kotkaniemi still gets the scraps for wingers.

Honestly. I've been more impressed with Suzuki so far this season than Kotkaniemi. I don't mind Suzuki getting an opportunity over him.

59 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

30 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Honestly. I've been more impressed with Suzuki so far this season than Kotkaniemi. I don't mind Suzuki getting an opportunity over him.

Yeah, Kotkaneimi was a revelation last year simply because he was so good for a guy who was so young.   He's still good but it seems like something is holding him back.  Now, you can make a strong argument that you need to give JK  wingers and ice time to break through but CJ has always been a "show me" coach - so you wont get those opportunities till you 'earn them'  (which, of course, may be difficult playing between Lehks and Byron etc)  

Suzuki meanwhile looks more and more comfortable. I feel like a Suzuki - Domi tandem, once they get things going, are going to be deadly.  Id actually like to see Tatar on that line because i think they would be tough to contain. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, Kotkaneimi was a revelation last year simply because he was so good for a guy who was so young.   He's still good but it seems like something is holding him back.  Now, you can make a strong argument that you need to give JK  wingers and ice time to break through but CJ has always been a "show me" coach - so you wont get those opportunities till you 'earn them'  (which, of course, may be difficult playing between Lehks and Byron etc)  

Suzuki meanwhile looks more and more comfortable. I feel like a Suzuki - Domi tandem, once they get things going, are going to be deadly.  Id actually like to see Tatar on that line because i think they would be tough to contain. 

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki could indeed be a stellar line. Interesting recommendation!

I believe Kotkaniemi can succeed with Lehkonen and Byron. Byron should, arguably, start scoring soon. He would've had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons had he not been injured last season. He's been in a slump. Maybe Kotkaniemi can help him bust it. Lehkonen is just Lehkonen. He's our new Chris Higgins in terms of ability to score.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki could indeed be a stellar line. Interesting recommendation!

I believe Kotkaniemi can succeed with Lehkonen and Byron. Byron should, arguably, start scoring soon. He would've had three consecutive 20+ goal seasons had he not been injured last season. He's been in a slump. Maybe Kotkaniemi can help him bust it. Lehkonen is just Lehkonen. He's our new Chris Higgins in terms of ability to score.

I like both of them honestly, but i just feel like JK needs players that work with his style & im not convinced they do.  Armia surprised me though so who knows.  Byron + JK has never worked in my books.   I think there are a few combos CJ has not tried (or not tried enough) that should be exceptional.  Lehkonen + Danault is a dream but Claude almost never plays them together.

If everyone was healthy id seriously consider trying:

Tatar - Domi - Suzuki
Drouin - JK - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Danault - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Cousins/Thompson

I don't like the idea of breaking up Drouin-Kotkaniemi. They've been strong. If anything, they should be reuniting Lehkonen-Danault, which has worked in the past several times, and giving Domi the stronger wingers vacated by Danault. IMO, it's very clear that our top 6 should be comprised of our 6 best offensive players: Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, and Suzuki. So I'd prefer to see (when everyone is healthy):

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

Byron-Thompson-Cousins

... which is along the lines of what Jed suggested. I'd also be okay with swapping Gallagher and Suzuki here, it would just mean you need to shelter the kid line in terms of zone starts and match-ups a bit more rigorously.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I don't like the idea of breaking up Drouin-Kotkaniemi. They've been strong. If anything, they should be reuniting Lehkonen-Danault, which has worked in the past several times, and giving Domi the stronger wingers vacated by Danault. IMO, it's very clear that our top 6 should be comprised of our 6 best offensive players: Domi, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, and Suzuki. So I'd prefer to see (when everyone is healthy):

Tatar-Domi-Suzuki

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Armia

Byron-Thompson-Cousins

... which is along the lines of what Jed suggested. I'd also be okay with swapping Gallagher and Suzuki here, it would just mean you need to shelter the kid line in terms of zone starts and match-ups a bit more rigorously.

If you swap Suzuki and Gallagher then your not sheltering him on the road cause both St Louis and Minnesota matched their best players against Drouin-Kotkaniemi and said that's the line they needed to worry about the most. But I also like your lines

Like the idea of Drouin and Domi together, but neither has a strong defensive game. Armia would be a must on the wing. Suzuki sticking would be a surprise.

Drouin is playing the game exactly as he did last year. Just getting a few points this year. Need to keep that rolling so he does not go back under the microscope. 

5 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Like the idea of Drouin and Domi together, but neither has a strong defensive game. Armia would be a must on the wing. Suzuki sticking would be a surprise.

Drouin is playing the game exactly as he did last year. Just getting a few points this year. Need to keep that rolling so he does not go back under the microscope. 

i disagree with him playing the same game! he back checks much harder this year does not give up on plays like last year and way less passing to the other team!

41 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

i disagree with him playing the same game! he back checks much harder this year does not give up on plays like last year and way less passing to the other team!

agree.  Much more effort from centre ice back this year.  Its entirely possible the injury he had last year affected his breathing but so far this year he's been a considerably more dominant player imho. 

10 hours ago, tony5775 said:

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah, I agree with ramcharger... he's playing way better than last year. Last year, we saw a guy with offensive creativity but who put in zero effort to get back defensively or be physically involved. He's doing those things this year.

On 10/24/2019 at 10:30 PM, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, I agree with ramcharger... he's playing way better than last year. Last year, we saw a guy with offensive creativity but who put in zero effort to get back defensively or be physically involved. He's doing those things this year.

He is just getting better results then last year. He gave the puck away couple times last night. But no one notices, because he scored two goals. Talented players will always try things they should not. Part of the game. His give aways have never been terribly high. Just everyone noticed everyone last year. because of his struggles. He is just being properly used  this year. At least for now.

7 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

He is just getting better results then last year. He gave the puck away couple times last night. But no one notices, because he scored two goals. Talented players will always try things they should not. Part of the game. His give aways have never been terribly high. Just everyone noticed everyone last year. because of his struggles. He is just being properly used  this year. At least for now.

Ok if you say so.

16 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

No ever since he got here he was lazy defensively and when he lost the puck he just gave up on the play or worse decided it was time for a line change. He was much worse last year than this year and I think part of it is from watching the video over the summer and part is his time with KK last year. Perhaps playing with the kid has rubbed off on him. Whatever the reason Drouin himself at the exit interviews said he gets it now and was going to work on it and so far it seems like he has and he is. Good on him! As for the part of your statement where you said he was beeping use properly this year. I don't see his role this year as being different than last year he is still being used offensively, he is still on the point on the PP his role hasn't changed just his attitude has.

• H_T_L locked this topic