The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Sign Nick Cousins

kinot-2

The Canadiens signed free agent center Nick Cousins to a one year one way deal for $1million. 

Cousins has played for both the Flyers and Coyotes and set a career high of 27 points last year with Arizona.

Cousins, who is 5-foot-11 and 185 pounds, posted 7-20-27 totals in 81 games last season with the Arizona Coyotes and had a minus-8 rating while averaging 13:33 of ice time and winning 46.7 per cent of his faceoffs.

From EOTP:

"Nick Cousins is a versatile forward who can slide up and down the lineup. He finished the year in the Arizona Coyotes’ bottom-six, flanked by Alex Galchenyuk, but he also spent some time with Clayton Keller through the multiple changes to the team’s formation.

Cousins plays the pivot position, where he was usually deployed by the Coyotes, but he can just as well slot in on the wing. He is known for a solid two-way game, being effective especially on the forecheck where he doesn’t shy away from physical engagement despite his smaller frame. That being said, Cousins didn’t see much time on the penalty kill. 

“Average” is also a fair word to use when it comes to his effect on his team’s play from a possession perspective. With him on the ice, the Coyotes generated slightly more shots and allow slightly fewer shots against."

This one actually bothers me a lot less than Chiarot.   Its 100% insurance. If Poehling or Suzuki arent ready, you've got a decent bottom six guy, 1 year - and most importantly - if there is no room for him, you can bury him in the minors & recapture his entire $ hit. 

Still, we need 1 - 2 impact players but i dont think you are getting those via UFA. 

Do yourself a favor. And us a favor. In other words, be a surprise. Be useful. And not useless. Show us the maximum that you can do... In every aspects of the game. Your line need some players like you (maybe). Because, it's getting stacked with some useless type of players there in our 4th line.

aside from losing grit in Deslauriers and Shaw , Chiarot replaces that and is going to be better in front of the net than Jordie was ...a lot of people saying Bergevin hasn't done anything still at least 7 aren't here from last year ...in the same way people previously criticized the organization for lack of depth at center they now have 16 in the system with KK , Poehling , Domi , Suzuki and Danault ... all still fairly young ...Domi , Danault  and Suzuki were all steals ...the problem on LHD was addressed at the draft with former picks of Fleury , Juulsen ,Brook and  Romanov  waiting in the wings ...Mete was a steal at #100 as well ...Bergy still has time and about $5 mill to play with so I'm not so pessimistic about him or this group who managed 96 points last year with some key injuries  ...

On ‎2019‎-‎07‎-‎14 at 2:22 AM, maas_art said:

Fleury, Juulsen and Brook are all RHD.

I think you misread my quote ...Montreal drafted LHDs this year ...the comment about Fleury Juulsen and Brook was about the future depth waiting in the wings not about being left or right 

• H_T_L locked this topic