The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hudon signed.

maas_art

26 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Somewhat surprising. Term and amount are correct  so I suppose he could always get waived for a zero Cap hit if we can't deal him,, should he not make the roster.

I, too, thought this would be an arbitration situation, but... I guess it would seem unnecessary to go to arbitration over a few "hundo-thou." I guess Bergevin just decided that fighting over the one-way contract vs. two-way contract wasn't worth it. If Hudon doesn't earn himself a spot in camp, he will be headed to the waiver wire... and possibly Laval.

5 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I still think he could make the team. If he is given a chance in the top 9 I think he could perform. His to win or lose.

agreed with the players we have the best lineup would be something like

Tatar-Domi-Gallaher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia

Byron-Danault-Weal

or you could swap the bottom 2 lines 

unless Suzuki give them no choice then you could move Armia back a line and use Weal as an extra or send Hudon to the Rocket. 

3 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Happy this got done. Do believe he can play in the NHL. He has a lot to prove this year.

I agree. I still think he's a capable middle-six winger. Im not sure we have space for him, but I always hate seeing assets gone for nothing. 

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Somewhat surprising. Term and amount are correct  so I suppose he could always get waived for a zero Cap hit if we can't deal him,, should he not make the roster.

Yeah at that cap hit im pretty sure if we waived him someone would take a chance. 

38 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

agreed with the players we have the best lineup would be something like

Tatar-Domi-Gallaher

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Hudon

Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia

Byron-Danault-Weal

or you could swap the bottom 2 lines 

unless Suzuki give them no choice then you could move Armia back a line and use Weal as an extra or send Hudon to the Rocket. 

Based on what we have right now, probably. Although I feel like we are going to make a move. If its a big one (ie Laine or something) expect maybe as many as two of those guys gone, which opens up a spot for both Hudon and Suzuki possibly. 

Hudon would have to do something miraculous to see regular top-six playing time with Montreal this season. I expect that we'll attempt to get him through waivers if he has a mediocre training camp. If he makes the team, he'd better hope he's convinced Julien he's made improvements to his defensive game... Because I suspect he'll be in the bottom six, not getting a lot of scoring opportunities.

I also think Hudon could be a middle 6 winger in the AHL. He's proven himself more than capable in the AHL (and not just a flash in the pan there either, as he proved himself for 3 straight years) and he put up 30 points here in his first year in essentially a 4th line role (with some 3rd line minutes). He's capable. Good skater, works hard on the ice, and I like his ability to forecheck and go to the net even as a smaller player. For whatever reason, the coaching staff doesn't like him and in my mind, there's a high likelihood he's traded before the start of the season. But, I also believe that if he were given a regular turn on the 2nd or 3rd line that he could put up 40 points without hurting the team and he's probably no worse than Shaw or Byron or Weal and better than Thompson and Weise and so on. He had a few games last year where he really flopped when given a chance in the top 6, but on the other hand you could argue he was under a lot of pressure to perform in a short period of time, so I kind of get it. I think he had the coach's confidence and was given a middle 6 role that he could be an asset here, I just don't see him getting much opportunity from MB and CJ.

His quote makes me think he expects to be traded.   He has publicly acknowledged his agent asked for a trade.

"Right now, I’m just focusing on the future and what’s going on with me. I’m a hockey player, I want to play hockey. So that’s why we didn’t want to go to arbitration. So I just want to be part of a team, part of an organization, and I want to play hockey. Right now, it’s the Montreal Canadiens, but I’m really happy to at least get a contract for next season and see what’s going on for the next couple of months.”

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

His quote makes me think he expects to be traded.   He has publicly acknowledged his agent asked for a trade.

"Right now, I’m just focusing on the future and what’s going on with me. I’m a hockey player, I want to play hockey. So that’s why we didn’t want to go to arbitration. So I just want to be part of a team, part of an organization, and I want to play hockey. Right now, it’s the Montreal Canadiens, but I’m really happy to at least get a contract for next season and see what’s going on for the next couple of months.”

He bought a house in Mirabel.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I also think Hudon could be a middle 6 winger in the AHL. He's proven himself more than capable in the AHL (and not just a flash in the pan there either, as he proved himself for 3 straight years) and he put up 30 points here in his first year in essentially a 4th line role (with some 3rd line minutes). He's capable. Good skater, works hard on the ice, and I like his ability to forecheck and go to the net even as a smaller player. For whatever reason, the coaching staff doesn't like him and in my mind, there's a high likelihood he's traded before the start of the season. But, I also believe that if he were given a regular turn on the 2nd or 3rd line that he could put up 40 points without hurting the team and he's probably no worse than Shaw or Byron or Weal and better than Thompson and Weise and so on. He had a few games last year where he really flopped when given a chance in the top 6, but on the other hand you could argue he was under a lot of pressure to perform in a short period of time, so I kind of get it. I think he had the coach's confidence and was given a middle 6 role that he could be an asset here, I just don't see him getting much opportunity from MB and CJ.

I like him but he's no Shaw replacement and had the worst plus/minus on the team last year didn't he ? ….he's capable ….time will tell 

Generally speaking i like the guy a bit, i just don't know what his role is and i think that is part of the problem he may have one view of his role and the team may have another. i think he came into last year thinking he was a regular due to the amount of play he had the year before and that may have hurt him.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think the plan right now is to have him play in Shaw's spot on a show me contract. Could make the lines a little more interesting 

Ain't a acceptable plan if it's true...

8 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Happy this got done. Do believe he can play in the NHL. He has a lot to prove this year.

He can't play at the 1st line. He can't play at the 2nd line... He can't play at the 3rd line... He can't play at the 4th line... The question is where? He's more an AHL'er than an NHL'er.

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Somewhat surprising. Term and amount are correct so I suppose he could always get waived for a zero Cap hit if we can't deal him,, should he not make the roster.

Wasn't necessary to resign him to begin. His place is elsewhere undoubtedly. Like if it was up to me... 

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I, too, thought this would be an arbitration situation, but... I guess it would seem unnecessary to go to arbitration over a few "hundo-thou." I guess Bergevin just decided that fighting over the one-way contract vs. two-way contract wasn't worth it. If Hudon doesn't earn himself a spot in camp, he will be headed to the waiver wire... and possibly Laval.

What's his price value? To me, near to zero. 

6 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I still think he could make the team. If he is given a chance in the top 9 I think he could perform. His to win or lose.

Slowly slow. How this will be changed? Zero impact. Enough of chances...

5 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Why????? Did he suddenly improve? 

No way...

1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I like him but he's no Shaw replacement and had the worst plus/minus on the team last year didn't he ? ….he's capable ….time will tell 

There's no second chance for Hudon in my case. Haven't show me something big to prove me wrong.

40 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Generally speaking i like the guy a bit, i just don't know what his role is and i think that is part of the problem he may have one view of his role and the team may have another. i think he came into last year thinking he was a regular due to the amount of play he had the year before and that may have hurt him.

Hudon himself don't know either... In a lost season, he's done okay without pressure. In a regular normal season, he's not done okay with pressure.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

He refused their first offer. He spent a lof times at the desk of his coach. Begging to let him play. Instead of doing those things...Training correctly. Being in a silence mode. Correcting his flaws. Nothing is given to you free. Your spot isn't forever.

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree. I still think he's a capable middle-six winger. Im not sure we have space for him, but I always hate seeing assets gone for nothing. 

Yeah at that cap hit im pretty sure if we waived him someone would take a chance. 

Based on what we have right now, probably. Although I feel like we are going to make a move. If its a big one (ie Laine or something) expect maybe as many as two of those guys gone, which opens up a spot for both Hudon and Suzuki possibly. 

Him a asset? What's his real potential?

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hudon would have to do something miraculous to see regular top-six playing time with Montreal this season. I expect that we'll attempt to get him through waivers if he has a mediocre training camp. If he makes the team, he'd better hope he's convinced Julien he's made improvements to his defensive game... Because I suspect he'll be in the bottom six, not getting a lot of scoring opportunities.

He can't follow the speedy pace of the NHL...

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

There's no second chance for Hudon in my case. Haven't show me something big to prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Thats pretty obvious. You clearly dislike him.

This is kind of the attitude CJ has had with him and I don't really get it. Hudon had 3 really solid years in the AHL. He followed that up with a great first season in the NHL, 30 points in a limited role and a guy who appeared to give an effort every night. Last year was awful, but it seems odd to write him off after impressing for 4 years and then having an off-season. Lehkonen has also disappointed since his rookie season. Domi came over here and took a stupid suspension before he even played a regular season game, then proceeded to take countless selfish penalties during the year. Shaw made his share of stupid penalties before he sorted himself out with a second chance under Julien. Drouin has been given a fair number of chances despite lots of lazy play. How many chances did Alzner and Benn and Schlemko and Emelin get? Hod long a leash did Desharnais get as our under-producing 1C?

History says plenty of guys have been given second chances and/or chances to play through slumps. I don't understand why certain guys have been afforded that, while others like Hudon, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc. were just kind of written off. I don't think anyone expects Hudon to be a star, but he can be a serviceable middle 6 player. This to me is anotehr example of the Habs driving a player's value into the ground then trying to trade him at his lowest point. It's bad business.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

This is kind of the attitude CJ has had with him and I don't really get it. Hudon had 3 really solid years in the AHL. He followed that up with a great first season in the NHL, 30 points in a limited role and a guy who appeared to give an effort every night. Last year was awful, but it seems odd to write him off after impressing for 4 years and then having an off-season. Lehkonen has also disappointed since his rookie season. Domi came over here and took a stupid suspension before he even played a regular season game, then proceeded to take countless selfish penalties during the year. Shaw made his share of stupid penalties before he sorted himself out with a second chance under Julien. Drouin has been given a fair number of chances despite lots of lazy play. How many chances did Alzner and Benn and Schlemko and Emelin get? Hod long a leash did Desharnais get as our under-producing 1C?

History says plenty of guys have been given second chances and/or chances to play through slumps. I don't understand why certain guys have been afforded that, while others like Hudon, Galchenyuk, Eller, etc. were just kind of written off. I don't think anyone expects Hudon to be a star, but he can be a serviceable middle 6 player. This to me is anotehr example of the Habs driving a player's value into the ground then trying to trade him at his lowest point. It's bad business.

Well said

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think this is just over valuing players because they wear the CH, every team has players like the Hudons, Sherbacks, Galchenyks, ...Its not because there is a vandetta for them by the coaches, or because they dont have the skill set,  its because they cost their teams wins on a regular basis. When you are on the ice consistently when the other team scores, and it doesnt matter who you play with, there is a problem. right now he is as bad defensively as droiun, but not half the skillset. If this is the type of player we want in our top six, Middle 6???...Then we are in big big big trouble.  We complained about Sherback not getting a chance.. Where is he? Galchenyk a top 3 pick, we complained about him not getting a chance so he was traded started as a centre in Arizona, and quickly found his way on the wing and then reduced minutes because he cannot play 5 on 5 hockey and then traded in less then a year. When do we stop blaming the coaches, that was  Galchenyks, third set of coaches.  Lars Eller I liked, but we obtained Danualt and I think they felt Danualt was going to take over Ellers role. Danualt was 4 years younger. Eller only ended up being a third line center and that is where Danualt should slot in in the next year or two. It was pretty much a swap of Eller and Shaw at the time, plus the emergence of Danult.  There is no way Hudon would be an asset in a middle six role not on this team or any other team, we have players like Gallagher, Tatar, Domi, Danualt,  Lekonen, Drouin, KK, Armia, Byron....then young players like Suzuki, Poeling, Caufiled, quite frankly at 25 years old he would not be ahead of any of those players. Not because of the coach or GM but because he just has not been good enough. If your not putting up 60 plus points you better be good young prospect or be able to play both ends of the ice really well. 

• H_T_L locked this topic