The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Untouchables, who are they?

campabee82

Read this article 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://awinninghabit.com/2019/08/19/montreal-canadiens-trade-untouchables/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjIkdbJs5DkAhURTN8KHVFdCDAQ0PADMAN6BAgBEBI&usg=AOvVaw1ehkK365-XXAPzNBQg7hgY&cf=1

Which got me wondering who should be considered as the Habs untouchables and Near Untouchables? Do you agree with the article about who should be considered our core? 

Just now, campabee82 said:

Read this article 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://awinninghabit.com/2019/08/19/montreal-canadiens-trade-untouchables/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjIkdbJs5DkAhURTN8KHVFdCDAQ0PADMAN6BAgBEBI&usg=AOvVaw1ehkK365-XXAPzNBQg7hgY&cf=1

Which got me wondering who should be considered as the Habs untouchables and Near Untouchables? Do you agree with the article about who should be considered our core? 

For me the Core is two fold today's core that gives us the best chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 years with the right supporting cast is

Domi, Price, Weber, Petry, Kotkaniemi and Drouin (if he can step up). Everyone else is expendable IF it means we have a legitimate shot at a cup NOW. 

The second core would be if we were aiming for a cup in 3 - 5 years which would be.

Price, Domi, Kotkaniemi, Brook, Fluery, Romanov, Caufield, Peohling and Suzuki.

As for the Untouchables for me today it's

Price, Domi and Kotkaniemi 

Near Untouchables are

Gallagher, Peohling, Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov, Brook, Primeau and Lehkonen

Serious offers only are 

Tatar, Danault, Byron, Fluery and Drouin

As it stands, I don't see how this team is good enough to win the Cup. I'm not saying we should blow it all up, but I'd consider none of our veterans/established guys untouchable really.

Closest to untouchable for me: Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Suzuki, Poehling. And quite frankly, even those guys are available if someone is willing to overpay.

I like how they played last season but I'm not going to be all excited about a team that hasn't really improved in the offseason after not even qualifying for the playoffs . I think we're trending in the right direction but it's still a long way until we're in a position to truly compete with the top teams.

6 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Closest to untouchable for me: Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Suzuki, Poehling. And quite frankly, even those guys are available if someone is willing to overpay.

This.

The word untouchable is always a tricky one in NHL trades.  The fact is that really no one is untouchable.   Lets take Connor McDavid for example. Easily one of the top 3 players - maybe #1 - in the league. So he has to be untouchable, right?  But what if Buffalo wants him so badly they offer Jack Eichel, Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt and Dylan Cozens for him?  Im not saying they would (they wouldn't) but the point is that if McDavid could be had (for a vast over-payment) then its tough to call anyone untouchable. 

That said, there are always players who are worth more to the team than what the market is likely to bear.  Just as Buffalo wont give up its 4 best young players for one player (even one named McDavid) teams are unlikely to give us as much value for certain players as those players bring to the team.  For me the list would be:

JK, Domi, Suzuki, Brook, Caufield and maybe Romanov.

You'll notice i left Poehling off (and was wishy washy on Romanov) because I think both players are so heavily hyped right now that its entirely possible a team offers more than what they are actually worth going forward. It would have to be a deal that absolutely blew me away but i would consider them, or pretty near anyone else I havent listed - id at least listen to serious offers. 

I've watched this sport long enough to know that there's no such thing as untouchable in the NHL. The right asking price for any player is out there. Asking me who i would prefer not to trade is a different situation. 

Taking that into consideration,,,,, on the business side,,,,nobody. On the emotional side, i'd hate to see KK moved. Everybody else for the right price i'm OK with.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I've watched this sport long enough to know that there's no such thing as untouchable in the NHL. The right asking price for any player is out there. Asking me who i would prefer not to trade is a different situation. 

Taking that into consideration,,,,, on the business side,,,,nobody. On the emotional side, i'd hate to see KK moved. Everybody else for the right price i'm OK with.

:6280:

If the price is right you do it as long as it isn't just a lateral move that accomplishes nothing.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.

The word untouchable is always a tricky one in NHL trades.  The fact is that really no one is untouchable.   Lets take Connor McDavid for example. Easily one of the top 3 players - maybe #1 - in the league. So he has to be untouchable, right?  But what if Buffalo wants him so badly they offer Jack Eichel, Rasmus Dahlin, Casey Mittelstadt and Dylan Cozens for him?  Im not saying they would (they wouldn't) but the point is that if McDavid could be had (for a vast over-payment) then its tough to call anyone untouchable. 

That said, there are always players who are worth more to the team than what the market is likely to bear.  Just as Buffalo wont give up its 4 best young players for one player (even one named McDavid) teams are unlikely to give us as much value for certain players as those players bring to the team.  For me the list would be:

JK, Domi, Suzuki, Brook, Caufield and maybe Romanov.

You'll notice i left Poehling off (and was wishy washy on Romanov) because I think both players are so heavily hyped right now that its entirely possible a team offers more than what they are actually worth going forward. It would have to be a deal that absolutely blew me away but i would consider them, or pretty near anyone else I havent listed - id at least listen to serious offers. 

OK, let me define the word "untouchable" as it relates to hockey trades IMO.

A player or players who's worth to their respective team out values what would be considered "fair market value". 

making the only way you acquire such a player an over payment.

34 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

OK, let me define the word "untouchable" as it relates to hockey trades IMO.

:4224:you cant define something "in your opinion"  Defining something means giving the actual factual meaning.  

And please dont try to educate me on "hockey matters."   SMH.

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

:4224:you cant define something "in your opinion"  Defining something means giving the actual factual meaning.  

And please dont try to educate me on "hockey matters."   SMH.

OK sorry, then I guess I should have said was, "let me explain what I mean by untouchable"

What I am looking for in this thread is those players who everyone feels in thier own opinions would be more valuable to the team than what fair market value would bring in. 

By the way I only quoted you because you made a good point in that everyone was tradable. Not to try to educate on hockey matters. It was a good point. 

Likewise, I don't believe in the untouchable notion... everyone has a price. That said, the core players I'm building around and looking to protect in a any trade talks would be

- Domi

- Kotkaniemi

- Poehling

- Suzuki

- Caulfield

- Brook

- Romanov

- Primeau

There are other young guys like Juulsen and Mete and Ylonen that I think could end up being pieces here long-term but I don't think they're as hard to replace. For the rest... Price, Weber, and Petry are all getting up there in age and I'd be happy to trade any of them before their value drops off a cliff if the return was good. Gallagher and Danault are key players here but both will be due big raises, so I wonder if their trade value might outweigh what a future contract will cost us. The rest I see as being supporting cast players, even Drouin. I like some of those other players (Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia, Kulak, etc.) but I'm not planning a build around them. They are what they are. The guys I'd protect are the ones young enough to be here long-term and who have the potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 D men for at least 5-6 years more in their careers.

22 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Likewise, I don't believe in the untouchable notion... everyone has a price. That said, the core players I'm building around and looking to protect in a any trade talks would be

- Domi

- Kotkaniemi

- Poehling

- Suzuki

- Caulfield

- Brook

- Romanov

- Primeau

There are other young guys like Juulsen and Mete and Ylonen that I think could end up being pieces here long-term but I don't think they're as hard to replace. For the rest... Price, Weber, and Petry are all getting up there in age and I'd be happy to trade any of them before their value drops off a cliff if the return was good. Gallagher and Danault are key players here but both will be due big raises, so I wonder if their trade value might outweigh what a future contract will cost us. The rest I see as being supporting cast players, even Drouin. I like some of those other players (Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia, Kulak, etc.) but I'm not planning a build around them. They are what they are. The guys I'd protect are the ones young enough to be here long-term and who have the potential to be top 6 forwards or top 4 D men for at least 5-6 years more in their careers.

This was more along the lines of what I meant by untouchable and like Maas and you have said I shouldn't have use the word untouchable especially when we are talking about a league where Gretzki was traded in his prime.

• H_T_L locked this topic