The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019 Rookie Camp

Ok I am no expert on such things as prospect development or judging talent but I am going to give my view of the players who stood out the most in last night's rookie game vs the Sens. Let's get right into it 

Fairbrother - great speed loves to carry the puck decent size and defensively. On quite a few occasions he skated the puck out with confidence and skill often gaining the offensive blueline sometimes driving the play deeper behind the goal line with success and knew when to retreat to his point position before the Sens broke out. Probably looking at 1 or 2 more years in Laval.

Leskinen - much like Fairbrother skates and moves the puck extremely well. Is better defensively than Fairbrother not the hardest shot but still effective. More of what you would get if you crossed Mete and Petry but more on the Mete side sizewise. May start the season with the Rocket but expect to see him with the Habs by seasons end probably on the second or third pairing but could challenge Mete for top spot.

Suzuki - what can I say WOW great skater thinks fast and has mad skills. Saw a play last night in the second that demonstrated all of these in one play. Suzuki had the puck skating down the boards gained the Blue line as two opposing players closed in to check him and at the last second Suzuki stops turns the opposing players run into eachother an Suzuki breaks for the net takes a wrist shot that gets stopped but  still a great play none the less. Personally I think he steals a wing spot on the Habs out of camp.

Poehling - strong on the puck played well but not great last night but got better as the game moved along. Will still push for a Habs roster spot this year and probably get it if his shoulder is ok. After the second he left the ice holding his right arm close to him and grasping his wrist with his other hand. He still played well in the third just not as much. I don't remember seeing him for like the last 5-10 minutes. Hope he is ok.

Brook - was great Defensively even though he was a minus 3. Moved the puck well but was mostly invisible offensively. Not a stand out last night but more think that was because of a off night. Should still challenge Folin and Juulsen for the bottom pairing this year but expect him to start in Laval.

Fleury - much like Brook he mostly played a defensive style but this time I think it had more to do with the fact that he was playing with Leskinen who loves to rush the puck. Although he also carried the puck up a couple of times very well. He should get a solid look and could also serve time with the Habs at some point this year probably has a better shot at beating out Brook Juulsen and Folin for the Habs bottom pairing and could even force management to trade a RHD this season to make room permanently or be used as a trade piece himself to acquire a decent return.

Evans - was probably the Habs biggest stand out last night. It  seemed like his line was always in the O zone. When they were in the D zone his line wasn't hemmed in the quickly broke out and had scoring chance after scoring chance. Will probably be in the Rocket top 6 this year barring injuries on the Habs. Could be used as a trade chip as well although probably not.

While we lost last night we played very well and carried the play in the O zone most of the night out shooting the Sens 36-23. Great game last night even though it was a loss. 

Suzuki took a pretty good hit tonight but looked okay afterwards. Evans, Fairbrother and Leskinen looked to carry a lot of the play, but that may be because a lot of the guys looked like they were in off season form.  Alain has looked okay, but rookie camp is just rookie. Interesting to see who sticks for the main camp.

30 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Suzuki took a pretty good hit tonight but looked okay afterwards. Evans, Fairbrother and Leskinen looked to carry a lot of the play, but that may be because a lot of the guys looked like they were in off season form.  Alain has looked okay, but rookie camp is just rookie. Interesting to see who sticks for the main camp.

Going forward I think the following get an invite to main camp

Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Fairbrother, Leskinen, Primeau and Evans

14 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

For sure.  Rookie camp can be tough. Some guys dont play at 100% just because they are worried about injuries, others are not at that fitness level.  So its interesting, its a good time for coaches to evaluate individual things, but its always tough to read too much into it. 

13 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Going forward I think the following get an invite to main camp

Suzuki, Poehling, Brook, Fleury, Fairbrother, Leskinen, Primeau and Evans

I would say thats a pretty close list.  I could see a guy like Fairbrother - who absolutely deserves an invite - maybe not getting one just because we have like 1000 dmen already, but time will tell. 

We obviously dont have a lot of roster spots available (we have like 15 forwards and 7 dmen on 1 way contracts?) Of that group i think Poehling has the fast track but if Suzuki excells at RW so they can play him behind gallagher, he may have the better chance at a spot (Poehling could play #1C in laval or #4 here... so... minutes?)    I think Leskinen will get a long look.  I am not sure if he can crack the lineup but I can see him as one of the last cuts with the big club. 

The kids are probably a little nervous out there ..watching the game last night it looked like Montreal had more drive but not enough jam..I thought Fairbrother Brook Fleury and Leskinen were the best D ..forwards I watched and thought had a good game were Fonstad , McShane , Alain and  Poehling ( Suzuki with a so-so game but showing flashes ) ...it's early but Poehling might be the only guy that makes the big club with Brook or Leskinen longshots  shots on D

19 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

The kids are probably a little nervous out there ..watching the game last night it looked like Montreal had more drive but not enough jam..I thought Fairbrother Brook Fleury and Leskinen were the best D ..forwards I watched and thought had a good game were Fonstad , McShane , Alain and  Poehling ( Suzuki with a so-so game but showing flashes ) ...it's early but Poehling might be the only guy that makes the big club with Brook or Leskinen longshots  shots on D

Suzuki is  like the prototypical "cerebral" player.  Ive seen him play a fair bit over the past 2 years and what Ive noticed is that he changes his game to suit his linemates, which is not a bad thing at all, his tool-bag is very big - but he needs time to adjust.  I am sure the habs brass realize this but for him to really succeed he's going to need to be given some time to develop chemistry (whether in the NHL or Laval).  I think he's going to be a regular by the end of the year but may well start the season in the minors. 

Had tickets for both games involving the habs at the rookie show case, my thoughts.....

Poehling was outstanding both games, very strong on the puck and showed some exceptional skills at both ends of the ice.  On the downside he needs to shoot more

Suzuki looked good as well, good in the offensive zone again needs to shoot more.  The chemistry between Suzuki and Poheling is fun to watch.  On the downside he plays a very small game he needs get stronger but he is only 19 I believe.

Leskinen was good Saturday night, played the puck well and good defensively.  Sunday night he was absolutely horrible, poor defensive play, several turnovers as Sunday was much more physical it seemed to make him skate around like a scared duck giving the puck away to avoid the hit

Brook & Fluery Both were outstanding both games, played in both ends exceptionally well.  Great positioning and not afraid to take the body or the hit in order to make the play

5 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Had tickets for both games involving the habs at the rookie show case, my thoughts.....

Poehling was outstanding both games, very strong on the puck and showed some exceptional skills at both ends of the ice.  On the downside he needs to shoot more

Suzuki looked good as well, good in the offensive zone again needs to shoot more.  The chemistry between Suzuki and Poheling is fun to watch.  On the downside he plays a very small game he needs get stronger but he is only 19 I believe.

Leskinen was good Saturday night, played the puck well and good defensively.  Sunday night he was absolutely horrible, poor defensive play, several turnovers as Sunday was much more physical it seemed to make him skate around like a scared duck giving the puck away to avoid the hit

Brook & Fluery Both were outstanding both games, played in both ends exceptionally well.  Great positioning and not afraid to take the body or the hit in order to make the play

Glad to hear some live-action opinion.  Our RD sure look set with Weber, Petry Juulsen, Fleury and Brook.    

6 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Yeah I was at the game Saturday as well and thought those guys all looked good as well. Would also have to add Evans name to that list as well as he was quite dominant in the Saturday game. Wish they could have converted more of the scoring chances though as they had a good number of them on Saturday and up until the lat 10 minutes looked like thwy were going to win with just a single bounce the right way being tied at 1-1 then things fell apart.

Was JK at the rookie camp?

Because :

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2019/9/10/20856347/thoughts-impressions-the-rookie-showdown-montreal-canadiens-cale-fleury-fairbrother-evans-analysis

The Rookie showcase is where stars are born and prospects sink into the void, never to recover from sub-par performances. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, fresh off a third overall selection at the 2018 draft last year, fell short of expectations at the tournament and, sure enough, was unnoticeable on the Belleville ice again this year — such great promise crushed in just a few weeks by the merciless clash.

But hopes remain for a few of the remaining Habs youngsters. Let’s take a look at who still has a chance to be the next saviour of the franchise.

9 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Was JK at the rookie camp?

Because :

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2019/9/10/20856347/thoughts-impressions-the-rookie-showdown-montreal-canadiens-cale-fleury-fairbrother-evans-analysis

The Rookie showcase is where stars are born and prospects sink into the void, never to recover from sub-par performances. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, fresh off a third overall selection at the 2018 draft last year, fell short of expectations at the tournament and, sure enough, was unnoticeable on the Belleville ice again this year — such great promise crushed in just a few weeks by the merciless clash.

But hopes remain for a few of the remaining Habs youngsters. Let’s take a look at who still has a chance to be the next saviour of the franchise.

The very end of the article says the opening was sarcasm. So to answer your question no KK was not at the rookie camp. The whole thing was just to grab your attention. 

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

The very end of the article says the opening was sarcasm. So to answer your question no KK was not at the rookie camp. The whole thing was just to grab your attention. 

Lol I read that first section ... saw the bit about JK and then dismissed the entire article as "you don't even watch hockey dude"

7 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Lol I read that first section ... saw the bit about JK and then dismissed the entire article as "you don't even watch hockey dude"

LOL that was my reaction to the article as well when I read it the first time in fact I closed the article at that point then thought maybe he was just being sarcastic so I skipped the the opening read the article then as I was getting ready to comment on his opening saw the final line and realized what the opening was