The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019-2020 Bold Predictions!

maas_art

Considering how many crazy things happened last year, lets see what you can come up with for this year. 

Last year we saw:  Domi break 25g and 70pts, Tatar score more than Pacioretty, Habs have elite possession but a horrific PP, etc.  If you had predicted any of these things at this time last year I dont think many would have believed you.  So what crazy things can you predict this year that would be a shock if they happened? 

I'll start with a few:

- Mete scores not one, but (close to) 10 goals this year
- JK is our #1C by year's end (maybe sooner - i feel like he's going to come to camp ready to explode)
- Drouin FINALLY realizes his potential.... unfortunately it may be on a different team. :P
- Weber stays healthy and has a near career year, points wise. 
- Our PP is ranked in the top 10. 

PP is in the top ten

Drouin gets 25-30 goals

Weber has 15 + goals

Price has a great year.

Poehling scores 20 and 50 Points

Mete scores 10 +/-

Habs win at least one playoff round!

Caulfield wins or is at least nominated for the Hobey Baker and signs after the NCAA playoffs in time for the NHL playoffs!

Top 2 lines by the end of the year

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki

Domi-Poeling-Galagher 

Caufield hits 1.5 GPG and 2 +PPG and signs his ELC before the NHL playoffs

3-30 goal scorers are Gallagher, Domi Drouin

KK hits 65 Points and 25 goals

Get to ECF Game 7 

Romanov signs ELC headed into playoffs and leads all Dmen in playoffs points for Habs

Mete scores 10 + goals

Kulak is traded by the deadline 

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Top 2 lines by the end of the year

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki

Domi-Poeling-Galagher 

Caufield hits 1.5 GPG and 2 +PPG and signs his ELC before the NHL playoffs

3-30 goal scorers are Gallagher, Domi Drouin

KK hits 65 Points and 25 goals

Get to ECF Game 7 

Romanov signs ELC headed into playoffs and leads all Dmen in playoffs points for Habs

Mete scores 10 + goals

Kulak is traded by the deadline 

I missed one Kinkade wins 10 games 

I'll bite.

Mete' will score 8 goals and get 23 PTs.

Suzuki will make the club, ala KK.

Druoin will finally figure it out, and rival Domi and Gallagher for the team lead.

Kinkaid will play 20 games and win 11.

We will make the POs have home ice in the 1st RD and get to the 2nd RD.

Byron will be traded.

JM2C. :)

Montreal makes the play-offs with more points than Toronto who might miss them..Lehtonen has a bounce back year after last year's snake -bite …Markov gets a 1 year ( 1-1.5 mill ) bonus -laden contract and plays less than 20 games but more than 10  ..gets a nice send -off by the fans and team for 1000 games , retires , keeps his pay and signs as a scout for Montreal in Russia ...mentors Romanov ...Chiarot emerges to everyone's surprise  with very solid reliable play to compliment the Left side ..Drouin has 64 points and 22 goals ...Suzuki makes the team for at least 12 games before going to Laval ( though I hope I'm wrong on this one ) ..after Vegas and St Louis there's a new premium on teams that like each other and play for each other ...Montreal is one of them and will show it this year with a play-off run ..oh yes ...and 102 point year 

34 minutes ago, arpem-can said:

Montreal makes the play-offs with more points than Toronto who might miss them..Lehtonen has a bounce back year after last year's snake -bite …Markov gets a 1 year ( 1-1.5 mill ) bonus -laden contract and plays less than 20 games but more than 10  ..gets a nice send -off by the fans and team for 1000 games , retires , keeps his pay and signs as a scout for Montreal in Russia ...mentors Romanov ...Chiarot emerges to everyone's surprise  with very solid reliable play to compliment the Left side ..Drouin has 64 points and 22 goals ...Suzuki makes the team for at least 12 games before going to Laval ( though I hope I'm wrong on this one ) ..after Vegas and St Louis there's a new premium on teams that like each other and play for each other ...Montreal is one of them and will show it this year with a play-off run ..oh yes ...and 102 point year 

Yep, agree with this. 

Bergevin will be in the dog house even when we are winning.

Our powerplay will be in the top 10.

Leafs will suffer humiliating defeats against us.

Domi will score 80 points this year.

Penalty killing will be in the top 10

Regular season finish in the east is top 7

EDmonton will miss the playoffs again.

ICetime for Kotkoniemi  and Poehling will increase as both make the team out of training camp.

Tatar scores 30 and makes us forget Patches.

Instant replay for pucks hitting the mesh netting will be used by playoff time.

Oilers still suck (see above)

Niemi's loss causes us to get 5 more wins than last year from our back up goalie.

Stanley Cup playoffs will see us win at least 2 rounds as Price plays like Price/

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

Bergevin will be in the dog house even when we are winning.

Our powerplay will be in the top 10.

Leafs will suffer humiliating defeats against us.

Domi will score 80 points this year.

Penalty killing will be in the top 10

Regular season finish in the east is top 7

EDmonton will miss the playoffs again.

ICetime for Kotkoniemi  and Poehling will increase as both make the team out of training camp.

Tatar scores 30 and makes us forget Patches.

Instant replay for pucks hitting the mesh netting will be used by playoff time.

Oilers still suck (see above)

Niemi's loss causes us to get 5 more wins than last year from our back up goalie.

Stanley Cup playoffs will see us win at least 2 rounds as Price plays like Price/

Who is Patches?

14 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Wait a second. The song I was thinking of starts "Patches I 'm depending on you son" I either didn't know something about the son or it is a different Patches. I need to read responses a little more closely:blush:

Yeah, it is a boy but ya gotta give Kinot a break. He's getting older. 

My predictions for some of the players:

- I think Kotkaniemi will be even better than last year. I am not sure he will become the regular 1C though and would say the odds are against it. Barring a shake-up of the forwards with a trade, I don't see the Habs starting the year with anything but Domi and Danault as the top 6 centers. Domi had a career year last year, and Julien just loves Danault. I think Danault gets every chance from Julien to stick with Gallagher and Tatar and I think Danalt, because he puts in effort and is sound defensively, will be excused if his production is not up to snuff offensively. So in short, I don't think JK getting into the top 6 is so much dependent on how he himself plays, but on whether there are injuries or a need for a shake-up above him, and I don't see Domi or Danault faltering enough to get bumped, at least in CJ's eyes. The one way JK gets in without injury or trade is if Drouin is so bad and the team isn't winning that CJ decides to play JK with Domi on line one, but then it's still a question as to which one plays center.

- Lehkonen is IMO the guy most likely to have a surprise stellar year. With Shaw gone, Lehkonen is either going to get a shot in the top 6 on the right of Drouin-Domi or else he's going to be playing next to JK on the 3rd line. Either way, he should get a lot of scoring chances and odds say he's going to bury some of those eventually, like he did as a rookie. I'm predicting 20-25 goals for Lehkonen this year.

- Tatar is the guy with the biggest chance of regression this season. Not to say it will happen, but everything just went really right for him last year. I think he starts hot, but I think he may struggle as the year goes on, and I wonder if we'll hear his name in trade rumors given his contract runs out in two years.

- I think MB is still looking for a LHD and I think he's willing to sacrifice Drouin to make that happen, especially if Suzuki has a good camp and looks to be able to make the team. The other guy I can see hitting the trade block is Juulsen. I get the feeling he's maybe not a player the Habs like as much as some of us do as fans, and I wouldn't be surprised if Folin gets a shot ahead of him or if Fleury steals his spot in the line-up.

- I don't like that our core is aging on the back end, and I worry about the health of Price, Weber, and Petry, not to mention Gallagher's history of being fragile. The core of this team just has red flags all over it with respect to injury risk, and as a result, I think we miss out on the playoffs. Again, this could all change depending on what MB does with trades and what injury luck our competition suffers, but I don't like our odds right now. We'll definitely be competitive and I can see us exceeding predictions IF we stay healthy, but I don't think we have the depth on D and in goal to be able to afford any type of longstanding injury to a key player. If Price or Weber or Petry misses more than 20 games, I think we're looking in from the outside come playoff time.

- I wonder if Jake Evans and Mike McCarron are two guys, in addition to Fleury whom I mentioned above, who will force the Habs hand at camp. I like Poehling and I like his odds of playing well at camp and making the team. I'm less sold on Suzuki's odds of making the team because the Habs don't seem set on what position he's going to play. But we also need to remember those are two guys who can go to the AHL without waivers. McCarron is waiver-eligible and all accounts are that he's improved and that he might finally be healthy after surgery. He could surprise. Evans has a year of AHL experience behind him, and I think he'll be in the mix as well. And like I've said before, I'm excited to see Jesse Ylonen come over next year and think he could be a real dark horse to be a very good top 6-9 player.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Marc Bergevin still can't acquire a top 1-2 LHD or top 1-2 forward via trade by the 2020 trade dateline.
  • Max Domi becomes the franchise's leading scorer for the 2019/2020 season.
  • Carey Price and Shea Weber will be injured and out for 3-6 weeks.
  • Victor Mete still can't score a goal.
  • Jesperi Kotkaniemi will score less than 25 goals, and won't be promoted to 1st/2nd line.
  • Joel Armia, Jordan Weal, Nick Cousins, Nate Thompson and Philip Danault will have the most ice time under Claude Julien. 
  • Nick Suzuki, Ryan Poehling, Cale Fleury and Charles Hudon will each play less than 20 games before being sent down to minor league.
  • Karl Alzner will clear waivers, but Dale Weise will be picked up by another team.
  • PP will be ranked around 20th in the league, and PK will be ranked around 25th in the league. 
  • Barely sneak into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth, as the 2nd Eastern Conference wild card (8th seed). 
  • Knocked out in first round of 2020 play-offs by whichever Metropolitan division opponent.
  • Marc Bergevin and Claude Julien keep their jobs into the 2021 seasons.  

• H_T_L locked this topic