The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp

ramcharger440

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Well it is upon us, the list of players is out there i hope we don't keep the dead weight too long. who makes it? who surprises? who flops? won't be long now to see what we have to work with.

TC starts on Thurs. 

Here's a link to the 57 players who will attend and those let go or those sent back to their teams.

http://www.habsworld.net/2019/09/habs-invite-57-players-to-training-camp/

28 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I don't like the camps where we hang on to the fringe players too long i always feel like the core of the team needs some time to gel add three or 4 players around the lineup sure but don't carry too many. it seems to me when we have to many players floating around we start the season flat.

Well, you got all of the Habs regulars, plus all of the Laval players, plus the draftees. Some of the Rocket players are signed to play in Laval, but possibly some have made strides. There's (I believe) 2 ice pads at Brossard, so all of the coaches/management will be assessing the players there.

On 9/10/2019 at 5:51 PM, ramcharger440 said:

I don't like the camps where we hang on to the fringe players too long i always feel like the core of the team needs some time to gel add three or 4 players around the lineup sure but don't carry too many. it seems to me when we have to many players floating around we start the season flat.

Expect it this year. We just have too many players on 1 way contracts... there's going to be a lot of "hangers on" until the very end.

At forward we have:
Domi, Drouin, JK, Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia, Byron, Cousins, Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, McCarron, Peca, Thompson, Weal and Weise.  We have prospects like Poehling, Suzuki and Evans who could all challenge.  Thats 17 NHL players and 3 prospects.  20 guys vying for 12 spots and a couple of alternates.  Weise is the only guy who's basically a guaranteed send-down. Evans is a huge long-shot.  So basically 18 guys for 12-15 spots. 

On defense we have:
Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, Kulak, Chiarot, Folin, Ouelett, Reilly, Olfsson & Alzner.  We have prospects like Brook, Fleury and Leskinen.  Alzner is (we hope) a guaranteed send-down but the rest?  Chances are Brook & Fleury dont even have a chance with our RD the way it is.  Leskinen or possibly Olofsson (if he can stay healthy) crack the lineup but you're still looking at upwards of 14 guys with a legitimate chance, challenging for 7-8 spots.

In goal its obviously Price  but who is his backup? I assume Kinkaid but what if he looks terrible?  Lindgren? McNiven? Primeau?   I think this is a race that should be solved quickly (im assuming Price + Kinkaid) forward & defense you're going to carry a lot of players imho.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Expect it this year. We just have too many players on 1 way contracts... there's going to be a lot of "hangers on" until the very end.

At forward we have:
Domi, Drouin, JK, Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia, Byron, Cousins, Gallagher, Hudon, Lehkonen, McCarron, Peca, Thompson, Weal and Weise.  We have prospects like Poehling, Suzuki and Evans who could all challenge.  Thats 17 NHL players and 3 prospects.  20 guys vying for 12 spots and a couple of alternates.  Weise is the only guy who's basically a guaranteed send-down. Evans is a huge long-shot.  So basically 18 guys for 12-15 spots. 

On defense we have:
Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Mete, Kulak, Chiarot, Folin, Ouelett, Reilly, Olfsson & Alzner.  We have prospects like Brook, Fleury and Leskinen.  Alzner is (we hope) a guaranteed send-down but the rest?  Chances are Brook & Fleury dont even have a chance with our RD the way it is.  Leskinen or possibly Olofsson (if he can stay healthy) crack the lineup but you're still looking at upwards of 14 guys with a legitimate chance, challenging for 7-8 spots.

In goal its obviously Price  but who is his backup? I assume Kinkaid but what if he looks terrible?  Lindgren? McNiven? Primeau?   I think this is a race that should be solved quickly (im assuming Price + Kinkaid) forward & defense you're going to carry a lot of players imho.  

But here's the thing. Julien has already said that the players themselves will make it hard as to decide who stays and who goes. It's a competition for the spots in the line-up.

15 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

But here's the thing. Julien has already said that the players themselves will make it hard as to decide who stays and who goes. It's a competition for the spots in the line-up.

ok... what does that have to do with what Ramcharger & I were talking about?  

15 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

KK has more muscle= good Hudon lighter after Habs asked him to put muscle on last year....odd. no one seems to have been out of shape so at least everyone is on point for camp.

Maybe Hudon was overweight and needed to cut weight before adding muscle? I don't know. I'm just making stuff up. :D

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Maybe Hudon was overweight and needed to cut weight before adding muscle? I don't know. I'm just making stuff up. :D

This is the sense I get from reading between the lines.  Like he bulked up but not in the right way?  Its unusual for a hockey player to say "im ready for camp, i lost 17 lbs over the summer" as a good thing... 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

This is the sense I get from reading between the lines.  Like he bulked up but not in the right way?  Its unusual for a hockey player to say "im ready for camp, i lost 17 lbs over the summer" as a good thing... 

yeah perhaps he had a few too many poutines last offseason. could explain why he seemed to be in the doghouse.

Interesting lines at first day of practice. Now, obviously its day ONE and we have 8 forward lines and 8 defensive pairs, so lots WILL change but some interesting points:

- Tatar - Danault - Gallagher  still together. Unlikely to change, at least to start the season.
- Kokaneimi back with two defensive wingers (Byron + Armia)  was hoping we'd see him with scoring wingers.  We still might of course but interesting they are starting that way.
- Mete - Weber and Chiarot - Petry  so one has to think thats the plan for the top 4 - unless there's a trade in the next few weeks or someone surprises (either good or bad)
- Drouin - Domi starting together. Looks like Lehks gets first crack at the vacant Shaw slot.
- Suzuki playing centre for now
- We have a crap load of #4-6 dmen. 

Group A:
Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Hudon-Suzuki-Weal
Cousins-Thompson-Weise
Pezzetta-Evans-Barber/Alain

Kulak-Brook
Sklenicka-Fleury
Mete-Weber
Ouellet-Juulsen

Group B:
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia,
Peca-Poehling-Varone,
Vejdemo/Verbeek-McCarron-Belzile

Chiarot - Petry
Alzner - Folin
Leskinen - Reilly
Lamarche

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Interesting lines at first day of practice. Now, obviously its day ONE and we have 8 forward lines and 8 defensive pairs, so lots WILL change but some interesting points:

- Tatar - Danault - Gallagher  still together. Unlikely to change, at least to start the season.
- Kokaneimi back with two defensive wingers (Byron + Armia)  was hoping we'd see him with scoring wingers.  We still might of course but interesting they are starting that way.
- Mete - Weber and Chiarot - Petry  so one has to think thats the plan for the top 4 - unless there's a trade in the next few weeks or someone surprises (either good or bad)
- Drouin - Domi starting together. Looks like Lehks gets first crack at the vacant Shaw slot.
- Suzuki playing centre for now
- We have a crap load of #4-6 dmen. 

Group A:
Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Hudon-Suzuki-Weal
Cousins-Thompson-Weise
Pezzetta-Evans-Barber/Alain

Kulak-Brook
Sklenicka-Fleury
Mete-Weber
Ouellet-Juulsen

Group B:
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia,
Peca-Poehling-Varone,
Vejdemo/Verbeek-McCarron-Belzile

Chiarot - Petry
Alzner - Folin
Leskinen - Reilly
Lamarche

While I agree it is only the first day of camp it is kind of disheartening to see Kotkaniemi with Byron and Armia. I am really hoping this is just to balance the teams until after the red vs white game and more cuts come. I am hoping our forward group to start the season is 

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Domi 

Hudon-Suzuki-Lehkonen 

Weal-Peohling-Armia 

Today's lineup for group B had very little change from yesterday's. The lines were as follows

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Varone-Poehling-Peca

Verbeek/Vejdemo-McCarron-Belzile

Chiarot-Petry 

Leskinen-Folin

Reilly-Lamarche

So basically the forward lines did not change at all. The Defense, Leskinen has apparently been given a larger shot as he is now moved up to playing the second pairing with Folin. Also noted is Alzner did not skate with the group according to the Habs site.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Also noted is Alzner did not skate with the group according to the Habs site.

That's because everybody on the planet knows he's not an NHL quality defenseman on any pairing. Waste of a roster spot when they could be having a better look at one of the kids.

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Today's lineup for group B had very little change from yesterday's. The lines were as follows

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher 

Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Varone-Poehling-Peca

Verbeek/Vejdemo-McCarron-Belzile

Chiarot-Petry 

Leskinen-Folin

Reilly-Lamarche

So basically the forward lines did not change at all. The Defense, Leskinen has apparently been given a larger shot as he is now moved up to playing the second pairing with Folin. Also noted is Alzner did not skate with the group according to the Habs site.

So apparently the reason for both Alzner and Juulsen were not at practice was due to injury. Juulsen had non-concussion related headaches and Alzner had a groin pull

Just saw the projected lineups for the red vs white scrimmage. Apparently Fleury will be playing the left side with Folin on the right of the second pairing on the red team. While Leskinen will the left side and Reilly will play the third pairing for the red team. Is it just me or does this make little sense to have the same handed dmen on two different pairings. Why not go

Chiarot-Petry 

Leskinen-Fleury

Reilly-Folin 

But neither teams lineups make any sense take a look.

Team White projected lineup

LEFT WING CENTRE RIGHT WING
62 Artturi Lehkonen 13 Max Domi 92 Jonathan Drouin
54 Charles Hudon 14 Nick Suzuki 43 Jordan Weal
21 Nick Cousins 44 Nate Thompson 22 Dale Weise
55 Michael Pezzetta 71 Jake Evans 45 Riley Barber
68 Alexandre Alain

Defencemen

LEFT DEFENCE RIGHT DEFENCE
53 Victor Mete 6 Shea Weber
17 Brett Kulak 46 Josh Brook
61 Xavier Ouellet 52 Maxim Lamarche
57 David Sklenička

Goaltenders

GOALTENDERS
GOALTENDERS
31 Carey Price
30 Cayden Primeau

Team Red projected lineup

Forwards

90 Tomas Tatar 24 Phillip Danault 11 Brendan Gallagher
41 Paul Byron 15 Jesperi Kotkaniemi 40 Joel Armia
36 Phil Varone 25 Ryan Poehling 63 Matthew Peca
96 Hayden Verbeek 34 Michael McCarron 60 Alex Belzile
42 Lukas Vejdemo

Defencemen

8 Ben Chiarot 26 Jeff Petry
83 Cale Fleury 32 Christian Folin
64 Otto Leskinen 28 Mikey Reilly

Goaltenders

GOALTENDERS
GOALTENDERS
37 Keith Kinkaid
39 Charlie Lindgren

The white team is pretty solid only 1 change I would make would be push Evans up to Suzuki's spot move Suzuki to the RW on the same line and move Weal to Evans original spot.

The Red team has serious problems starting with the D outlined above. Then KK's wingers are not at the same level as Suzuki's don't get me wrong I like Armia and Byron. Byron has speed and can score but he is definitely not who I would like to see next to KK to get his offensive game going. Personally I probably would have swapped KK and Danault, I know the line of Tatar-Danault-Gallagher dominated last year and will probably do the same this year but its the preseason time to experiment give KK higher skilled wingers and let him loose to see what he can do. Even the goaltenders seem to heavily favour the white team. Why not swap Lindgren and Primeau give each team a starter and a backup. The White team is probably going to dominate prediction is White 8 Red 3.

While he is no superstar it seems to me you are being a little harsh in regards to Byron, he has shown he is a consistant 20-25 goal man in this league and he is very fast. as for Armia he is very strong on the puck on the face of it it looks like a solid third line which is most likely where KK will be for a good part of the year. i know we are all rooting for him to move up but he is still 19 and we need to see if he can do it or not.

• H_T_L locked this topic