The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #4 ~ Detroit Red Wings @ Montreal Canadiens. Thursday, October 10th, 2019.

Clues

Jfhbpd1RMNd1EKLsrttN5A_r.jpg.933094f5b4a0fde23f07083b1d955175.jpg

MONTREAL - Here are five things you need to know ahead of Thursday night's matchup against the Detroit Red Wings at the Bell Centre.

1. After playing three straight road games to begin the season, the Canadiens finally have the opportunity to play in front of their home fans. Claude Julien's contingent picked up four out of a possible six points in enemy territory over the last week, most recently dropping a 5-4 overtime decision to the Sabres in Buffalo on Wednesday. In fact, it marked the first time in team history that the Canadiens began a campaign with their first three games requiring an extra frame. Sabres forward Marcus Johansson settled the score just 90 seconds into overtime at the KeyBank Center after the Habs rallied from a two-goal deficit in the third period on goals by Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Ben Chiarot. Meanwhile, Joel Armia scored twice, including a short-handed goal and another on the power play.

2. The Canadiens won't be holding a morning skate on Thursday at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. Julien and select players will be made available to the media at 4:30 p.m. at the Bell Centre, which is when we'll likely learn if the veteran bench boss will be featuring any lineup changes versus Detroit. Expect Carey Price to be back in between the pipes after Keith Kinkaid made his Canadiens debut against the Sabres. Kinkaid turned aside 34 of 39 shots in the loss.

3. Both Artturi Lehkonen (3A) and Jonathan Drouin (1G, 2A) will be riding three-game point streaks into the Canadiens' home opener. While Lehkonen has three career goals against Detroit, Drouin has done significant damage to the Habs' Atlantic Division counterparts over the years with five goals and 18 points in 15 meetings. The 24-year-old forward has more assists and points against the Red Wings than any other NHL team since debuting in 2014-15 with the Tampa Bay Lightning. The only Canadiens with more career points against Detroit are captain Shea Weber (32 points) and assistant captain Brendan Gallagher (20 points).

4. After downing the Nashville Predators on the road and the Dallas Stars at home, the Red Wings are coming off their first loss of the season - falling 3-1 to the Anaheim Ducks at Little Caesars Arena on Tuesday. No doubt Longueuil native Anthony Mantha will be hungry to help Detroit right the ship in his home province. Mantha leads Jeff Blashill's squad with five goals and seven points through three games. That includes his remarkable four-goal effort against Dallas on October 6. Jonathan Bernier will get the start in goal for the Red Wings.

5. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:00 p.m., but fans attending the game are encouraged to be in their seats by 6:45 p.m. for the pre-game festivities, including the player introductions. DJ YO-C will also be on site to pump up the crowd during intermissions in conjunction with the Thursday night DJ series. You can watch the Canadiens' home opener on TSN2 and RDS, and listen to all the action on TSN Radio 690 and 98,5 fm.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-detmtl-five-things-you-need-to-know/c-309941182

koolaid.jpg.c37d44a62fd3f60ef647e67bea2ac448.jpg

• H_T_L pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Thanks Clues

Looking forward to this one. "Home opener":4322:. Sabre fans around me seemed shocked to hear we hadn't played a home game yet. Same story every year it seems. We need this one.

I personally like starting on the road. Even though I'm not happy with the team's overall performance, 4/6 points feels like some sort of victory when it comes at the beginning of the season away to Carolina, Toronto, and Buffalo. I want a regulation win tonight, though!

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I personally like starting on the road. Even though I'm not happy with the team's overall performance, 4/6 points feels like some sort of victory when it comes at the beginning of the season away to Carolina, Toronto, and Buffalo. I want a regulation win tonight, though!

To me ,,, i think it's a much tougher go. Having to deal with the hype of another team's home opener, and some years two of them, is really getting old. Not sure if it's the Habs requesting this or it's just the League taking advantage of us. Should be alternating years IMO. I also hate that traditional Christmas trip out West (7 game road trip this year BTW, throughout the holidays}

26 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Thanks, Clues. 

Home openers all time 60-31-15-2, last 5 they are 3-1-1.

Wings' 4th game in 6 days.

Bernier gets the start for the Wings.

I wanna say "YAY" that Berier is getting the start (because he's bad), but... we all know how Quebec-born goaltenders can give us headaches. Or... we certainly remember very clearly when that happens!

Our PP is at 33%, 5th in the league :P , but our PK is at 69%, :(

GF 7th with 12. GA is 13.

Petry has 14 SOG.

PPG players are Gally, Leks, Armia, and JD. 

Our 1st 3 games went into OT,,,, a new Habs record to start the season.

Methinks I'll be on a slight delay. :(

• H_T_L unpinned this topic