The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What do we really need?

ramcharger440

In various posts we talk about this player or that or trades we could make based on stories that come out around the League. what are we really in a position to give up and what do we need the most? so far this season we have been scoring just fine we are in the top 25% of the league so no issues there really but we are letting in too many goals. the LHD has been an issue since Marky got the boot and we traded away our one blue chip prospect at that position, it has been like that for a while now and it shows. so my vote would be get us a first pairing LHD a quality one too and for that i would let a #1 pick a roster player and perhaps a prospect go. is that too much? i would think it depends on what kind of player comes back. would that be our most pressing need? what do you think?

Without a doubt our most pressing need is a #1 puck moving LHD.

Lets say you could add a guy like Werenski   This would instantly help in several areas:

1) Weber would finally have a partner to compliment him.  Weber is slowing down, he's getting older, its reality. He's still got the skills to be an effective top 4 guy IMHO but i dont think he can carry a pairing any more. Get a guy who he doesnt have to cover for ( like when Mete is manhandled in the corners) and  not only will that pairing be better, but Weber himself would suddenly be a lot more effective too.

2) Guys like Mete, Kulak, Chiarot - all move down the depth chart. People dont play over their heads and therefore can be more effective themselves. 

3) A PMD should theoretically be able to help with the PP too.  I know we've looked pretty good on there this year & maybe by adding guys like Suzuki we will be better, but id still feel a whole lot better with a true quarterback back there.

I personally feel that with the depth we have at forward we're set.  In nets, we're set.  Even most of the defense is ok. But that gaping hole at LD is not going to fix itself. We need to do something.   Werenski I am sure is not available, but Ghost or Sanheim might be.  There are other guys out there too.   MB needs to move on it.  It may cost us some of that forward depth + possibly a guy like Mete (who's place the new guy will take) but I think its the big gaping hole we desperately need to seal up.

So what are we prepared to offer? i love Byron but i think we could move on without him and most teams would want a first round pick for the kind of Dman we are looking for do we do that? i suppose it could be next years but that would dilute the deal too. and what prospect do we let go of? for me Suzuki is a no go same with Caufield and i would love to hold onto all of our D prospects too so we see what they may develop into.

IMO there are two answers. 

1. Almost every position in our entire lineup could use an upgrade. 

LW you have Lehkonen playing over his head. We don't really have depth at this position in our prospect pool.

RW Weal, Byron and Armia as well as on occasion Cousins could stand to be upgraded. Caufield is really the only stand out prospect at this position.

C Thompson is solid but aging. We have loads of Center depth.

LD everyone is playing above their heads. We also have loads of LD depth with the most promising being Leskinen, Romanov and Norlander.

RD is our biggest strength but either Weber or Petry will have to be moved to make room for Brook next year or you need to move Brook. Again we have loads of RD depth.

If you get Hall and a Gostisbehere types of players that pretty well makes us contenders this year. If you get Hall and bring Romanov over and either him or Leskinen turn out what we hope then starting next year or the year after we are set. It really all depends on when you want to contend.

26 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

LW you have Lehkonen playing over his head. We don't really have depth at this position in our prospect pool.

RW Weal, Byron and Armia as well as on occasion Cousins could stand to be upgraded. Caufield is really the only stand out prospect at this position.

LD everyone is playing above their heads. We also have loads of LD depth with the most promising being Leskinen, Romanov and Norlander.

RD is our biggest strength but either Weber or Petry will have to be moved to make room for Brook next year or you need to move Brook. Again we have loads of RD depth.

If you get Hall and a Gostisbehere types of players that pretty well makes us contenders this year. If you get Hall and bring Romanov over and either him or Leskinen turn out what we hope then starting next year or the year after we are set. It really all depends on when you want to contend.

That is a lot of info and a lot of moves, the chances of all that happening is not likely so if you had to make one big move what would it be? not based on the rumours we hear but what would help us the most right now.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Id personally disagree with this. You cant note which players are playing above their heads without noting those that are playing below.  Would Lehkonen be a 2nd line LW on most teams? no.  but would Drouin be a 3rd line LW on any others?  Likely not.   Julien clearly wants to distribute talent & thats fine but then you have to look at them as a grouping:

LW
Drouin - Tatar - Lehkonen - Byron     We're in good shape at LW

C
Domi - Danault  - JK - Thompson  - Poehling   We're in good shape at C

RW
Gallagher - Suzuki - Armia - Cousins - Weal    It remains to be seen if we are in good shape here. Suzuki being the obvious question mark - as well as Armia's health

RD
Weber - Petry - Juulsen - Fleury - Brook - Folin    Possibly our best position, depth wise

LD
Mete - Kulak - Chiarot - Reilly  Our black hole.   Is there any player there that makes the top 2 on any other team? How about the top 4?   We need help here more than anything else.

So while i agree that adding an elite talent like Hall would be wonderful, i dont think there's any position outside of LD that is absolutely dire.   I would question some of Julien's line combos but i also understand 2 things about Julien:  1) he likes to roll 4 lines.  2) he looks for the long-game. He's less concerned about the lines now (assuming they win enough) and more interested in options going forward, especially if he needs to shake things up down the stretch & into the playoffs.  He did this all the time in boston. he uses the regular season as a warmup.  the real question is: without upgrading LD, can we make it there? 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Id personally disagree with this. You cant note which players are playing above their heads without noting those that are playing below.  Would Lehkonen be a 2nd line LW on most teams? no.  but would Drouin be a 3rd line LW on any others?  Likely not.   Julien clearly wants to distribute talent & thats fine but then you have to look at them as a grouping:

LW
Drouin - Tatar - Lehkonen - Byron     We're in good shape at LW

C
Domi - Danault  - JK - Thompson  - Poehling   We're in good shape at C

RW
Gallagher - Suzuki - Armia - Cousins - Weal    It remains to be seen if we are in good shape here. Suzuki being the obvious question mark - as well as Armia's health

RD
Weber - Petry - Juulsen - Fleury - Brook - Folin    Possibly our best position, depth wise

LD
Mete - Kulak - Chiarot - Reilly  Our black hole.   Is there any player there that makes the top 2 on any other team? How about the top 4?   We need help here more than anything else.

So while i agree that adding an elite talent like Hall would be wonderful, i dont think there's any position outside of LD that is absolutely dire.   I would question some of Julien's line combos but i also understand 2 things about Julien:  1) he likes to roll 4 lines.  2) he looks for the long-game. He's less concerned about the lines now (assuming they win enough) and more interested in options going forward, especially if he needs to shake things up down the stretch & into the playoffs.  He did this all the time in boston. he uses the regular season as a warmup.  the real question is: without upgrading LD, can we make it there? 

Agreed that LD is the one position we need to upgrade to get into the playoffs however it is not enough to actually contend for the cup. So if there is one big move to be made that will get is there IMO it is for multiple pieces not just single position. The one trade that would make sense would be with the Hawks

DeBrinicat and Gustafsson for Tatar + Poehling + Juulsen + 1st + Petry maybe it's an overpayment but you get 2 game breaking talents and we would line up.

DeBrinicat-Domi-Suzuki

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Byron

Evans-Thompson-Armia

Cousins, Weal

Gustafsson-Weber

Kulak-Brook

Chiarot-Fleury

Folin

Price

Kinkaid

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Agreed that LD is the one position we need to upgrade to get into the playoffs however it is not enough to actually contend for the cup. So if there is one big move to be made that will get is there IMO it is for multiple pieces not just single position. The one trade that would make sense would be with the Hawks

DeBrinicat and Gustafsson for Tatar + Poehling + Juulsen + 1st + Petry maybe it's an overpayment but you get 2 game breaking talents and we would line up.

DeBrinicat-Domi-Suzuki

Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Byron

Evans-Thompson-Armia

Cousins, Weal

Gustafsson-Weber

Kulak-Brook

Chiarot-Fleury

Folin

Price

Kinkaid

WOW, you're giving up 2 D-men, our 1st, and Tatar (who achieved his best point total last year). The Hawks might be intrigued, but if they're rebuilding/retooling uhhhhh, not likely, IMO. 

5 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

WOW, you're giving up 2 D-men, our 1st, and Tatar (who achieved his best point total last year). The Hawks might be intrigued, but if they're rebuilding/retooling uhhhhh, not likely, IMO. 

Only reason I am giving up 2 is 1. We need to make room on the left side 2. Petry's a UFA after next season and will likely want 7+ x 8 years. You could take out Juulsen if you really wanted. I think you have to include a forward if you want the Hawks to send Debrincat the other way and Tatar makes the most sense IMO.

I don't think the Hawks believe they are in a rebuild/retool just yet. I think they believe they have 2-3 more years of contention be fore they need to take that route. 

Remember this is only the type of trade that I would make if we were looking to contend for the cup now.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Since Drouin has been playing well to start the season it could actually be an opportunity to trade him/package him for a player of value at LD. Last year a lot of us wanted him gone. Now other GMs might actually see some value there.

MB only trades players when they are slumping :P  

6 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

so really what i am interested in is what folks here think will make the team take the next step playerwise everyone has an opinion about management i want to know what we think the teams needs for players.

To make the Playoffs or contend for the cup in the next 1-3 years or contend for the cup in 3-8 years

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, ramcharger440 said:

. the LHD has been an issue since Marky got the boot and we traded away our one blue chip prospect at that position, it has been like that for a while now and it shows. so my vote would be get us a first pairing LHD a quality one too

A top flight LHD man

But in  a couple of years , as Weber and Petry get older , they are going to need a first pairing RHD . Unless there is  a sure bet prospect

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Thus will be the legacy of Marc Bergevin. Not filling the hole that needs filling until there is another one opening up.

Between Brook, Fleury and Juulsen I think we're going to be ok.  I think a lot of people are still projecting Brook as a top pairing guy. Fleury or Juulsen could easily both be 2nd pair guys.    I think our defense is actually looking pretty good for a few years from now (assuming we dont trade any like Sergachev or McDonaugh).  One of our main strenghts right now (wing) is starting to look a little thin after guys like Caufield and Ylonen - although in fairness, we have a lot of young wingers on the main roster so i think we should be ok for a bit. 

Just now, habs1952 said:

Maybe a goalie too. 

Primeau looks like the real deal.   Price, imho is going to be good for a while still. 

• H_T_L locked this topic