The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

What do we really need?

ramcharger440

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Between Brook, Fleury and Juulsen I think we're going to be ok.  I think a lot of people are still projecting Brook as a top pairing guy. Fleury or Juulsen could easily both be 2nd pair guys.    I think our defense is actually looking pretty good for a few years from now (assuming we dont trade any like Sergachev or McDonaugh).  One of our main strenghts right now (wing) is starting to look a little thin after guys like Caufield and Ylonen - although in fairness, we have a lot of young wingers on the main roster so i think we should be ok for a bit. 

Primeau looks like the real deal.   Price, imho is going to be good for a while still. 

If he is still with the Habs. 

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Between Brook, Fleury and Juulsen I think we're going to be ok.  I think a lot of people are still projecting Brook as a top pairing guy. Fleury or Juulsen could easily both be 2nd pair guys.

I cannot remember the last time the Habs were able to develop 1 of their own drafted d men let alone 3

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

A new GM , yes , years ago .

New coach ? He can only work with what he's given .

I mostly agree the coach can only work with what he has got but he isn't doing himself any favours by playing Weal and Cousins and Armia on the PP or sending out Danault, Lehkonen and Weber to start an overtime or starting the 4th line at the beginning of the second period and giving up an early goal cause he missed the matchup. He is just as much at fault for our record this year and last as MB has been. No one told him to play Alzner in the top 4 last year when we had Mete and Kulak and Reilly who were better options.

1) Outshot the sharks 37-23 but couldn’t put the puck in the net and we/the team can’t wait 2 years plus for caulfield to be a solution so a good goal scorer is going to be hard to find

2) a stronger left D puck mover - Romanov we hope arrives next year 

MB I believe will pull a trade - I’m just not sure what he’s going to give up as we do have some youth, 10 draft picks but Weber deserves a chance to win with a top team (retain some salary), Petry and Byron  Armia might be wanted but we’ve still got plugs in Lehkonen, Weal, Cousins, Thompson, Folin 

1 hour ago, claremont said:

2) a stronger left D puck mover - Romanov we hope arrives next year 

I'll wait and see . I've seen enough players come through where people though this is going to be " the guy " and he couldn't make the NHL

This is how I see our defensive depth. As we all know, it needs work.

_____ - Jeff Petry

Brett Kulak/Victor Mete - Shea Weber

Ben Chiarot/Mike Reilly - Cale Fleury/Noah Juulsen/Christian Folin

Now, arguably, yes, Kulak and/or Mete can fill-in on the top-four. However, my preference would be to see Kulak on the third pairing and I think Mete might make for some interesting trade discussions. Chiarot, Reilly, and Folin I don't see as being contributing members of this team. I suppose they'd be fine as spares.

• H_T_L locked this topic