Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Was Byron placed on Waivers today?

Saw a Pens thread on CapFriendly claiming him off waivers.

 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

The first time they did it i thought "they must be desperate" but now i wonder if they are actually hoping someone claims him?

Seems odd you would expose someone to waivers, then let him play 10 games and then put him back on waivers (9 or less and he could be sent down without having to clear again). 


Also, its not like we need his cap money with Chairot's contract coming off the books for basically the rest of the season (LTIR) we should have plenty of breathing room.  Wonder if that means there's a trade in the works & MB needs to clear salary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, maas_art said:

 

The first time they did it i thought "they must be desperate" but now i wonder if they are actually hoping someone claims him?

Seems odd you would expose someone to waivers, then let him play 10 games and then put him back on waivers (9 or less and he could be sent down without having to clear again). 

yes they may be hoping someone claims him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

The first time they did it i thought "they must be desperate" but now i wonder if they are actually hoping someone claims him?

Seems odd you would expose someone to waivers, then let him play 10 games and then put him back on waivers (9 or less and he could be sent down without having to clear again). 


Also, its not like we need his cap money with Chairot's contract coming off the books for basically the rest of the season (LTIR) we should have plenty of breathing room.  Wonder if that means there's a trade in the works & MB needs to clear salary. 

The issue with Chiarot's money though is it does not build deadline space so if MB has a couple of big moves planned like bringing in Hall (half retained) and Elholm we would still need to move money. However by building more deadline space we can easily make multiple moves if we decide to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They obviously assume there is zero risk of Byron being claimed so i'm guessing this is only nickel and diming by assigning him to the taxi squad on off days. I can't see any team interested at his Cap hit and remaining term. The Habs will just do like last time he wasn't claimed. They'll keep using him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am updating my view of our 2021 season now, MB is not willing to make the necessary moves to ensure a playoff berth. here is a quote from Lu on the presser MB just held

"Bergevin says he has to have more cap space in order to make a move prior to the deadline. He would have to move a roster player he likes in order to create that space, which he is loathe to do."

We will not make the playoffs if Molson does not step in now and fire MB and hire a GM that has the BALLS to go out and make this team better! We will be finishing 15th or 16th once again! THANK YOU once again Mr. Bergevin for screwing everyone's dream of having a competitive team this year!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am updating my view of our 2021 season now, MB is not willing to make the necessary moves to ensure a playoff berth. here is a quote from Lu on the presser MB just held

"Bergevin says he has to have more cap space in order to make a move prior to the deadline. He would have to move a roster player he likes in order to create that space, which he is loathe to do."

We will not make the playoffs if Molson does not step in now and fire MB and hire a GM that has the BALLS to go out and make this team better! We will be finishing 15th or 16th once again! THANK YOU once again Mr. Bergevin for screwing everyone's dream of having a competitive team this year!!!!!!

Not surprising to me. I didn't expect him to make any splashes at or before the trade deadline. The only possibility would have been yet another depth 3rd pairing D-man. We all know his motto,,,, you can't have enough D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Not surprising to me. I didn't expect him to make any splashes at or before the trade deadline. The only possibility would have been yet another depth 3rd pairing D-man. We all know his motto,,,, you can't have enough D

Except he DOESN'T have enough D to survive the season let alone make the playoffs and contend for the division title!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am updating my view of our 2021 season now, MB is not willing to make the necessary moves to ensure a playoff berth. here is a quote from Lu on the presser MB just held

"Bergevin says he has to have more cap space in order to make a move prior to the deadline. He would have to move a roster player he likes in order to create that space, which he is loathe to do."

We will not make the playoffs if Molson does not step in now and fire MB and hire a GM that has the BALLS to go out and make this team better! We will be finishing 15th or 16th once again! THANK YOU once again Mr. Bergevin for screwing everyone's dream of having a competitive team this year!!!!!!

Unless it's a smoke screen. He always says one thing and does another. He's well versed at bending the truth. Also, when he does do something,  it's out of the blue. Byron on waivers again. Coincidence? I say not. He's hoping someone makes his life easier. Doubt it happens. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am updating my view of our 2021 season now, MB is not willing to make the necessary moves to ensure a playoff berth. here is a quote from Lu on the presser MB just held

"Bergevin says he has to have more cap space in order to make a move prior to the deadline. He would have to move a roster player he likes in order to create that space, which he is loathe to do."

We will not make the playoffs if Molson does not step in now and fire MB and hire a GM that has the BALLS to go out and make this team better! We will be finishing 15th or 16th once again! THANK YOU once again Mr. Bergevin for screwing everyone's dream of having a competitive team this year!!!!!!

Chiarot got injured at the worst possible time - He will be back for the playoffs. Trading Ben at this time is absolutely immoral as he stood up for a teammate and fought for KK. So removing Ben's cap is out of the question. Looks like nobody is volunteering to be interested in Byron off waivers due to the contract term and value so we don't have that bargaining chip. The only assets of possible move are Mete ($735k) and Lehkonen ($2.4M) or Armia ($2.6M) , and some future draft choices / prospects - but we need the deadline cap space of a removal (or a Byron claim), so we are not getting much in value for them. Maybe, just maybe Ekholm is still in play for those two and/or a prospect. I can't see moving Danault, or Tatar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, claremont said:

Chiarot got injured at the worst possible time - He will be back for the playoffs. Trading Ben at this time is absolutely immoral as he stood up for a teammate and fought for KK. So removing Ben's cap is out of the question. Looks like nobody is volunteering to be interested in Byron off waivers due to the contract term and value so we don't have that bargaining chip. The only assets of possible move are Mete ($735k) and Lehkonen ($2.4M) or Armia ($2.6M) , and some future draft choices / prospects - but we need the deadline cap space of a removal (or a Byron claim), so we are not getting much in value for them. Maybe, just maybe Ekholm is still in play for those two and/or a prospect. I can't see moving Danault, or Tatar.

No one said to trade Chiarot! We would however like to have a player replace Chiarot while he is out, one that maybe HELPS us get into the playoffs instead of running a bandaid solution on D that more than likely causes us to fall completely out of the playoff picture! I outlined a trade scenario in the rumor thread that showed how we can acquire guys without moving Chiarot and gaining cap in the process. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Unless it's a smoke screen. He always says one thing and does another. He's well versed at bending the truth. Also, when he does do something,  it's out of the blue. Byron on waivers again. Coincidence? I say not. He's hoping someone makes his life easier. Doubt it happens. 

For sure. Id take anything MB says with a grain of salt. I think its entirely possible he has deals on the table (say for Ekholm) and has given a "take it or leave it" offer as he is prone to do. 

 

37 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

We will not make the playoffs if Molson does not step in now and fire MB and hire a GM that has the BALLS to go out and make this team better! We will be finishing 15th or 16th once again! THANK YOU once again Mr. Bergevin for screwing everyone's dream of having a competitive team this year!!!!!!

I actually think we're going to make the playoffs.  We're only 3 points out of 2nd and we have games in hand on everyone but the Jets. Heck if we win both our games in hand on them we're only 3 points behind the leafs for first.   

I know the team has issues, the defense pairings are a real concern, but I actually think we're going to make the playoffs fairly comfortably.  I am not so confident about how we do once we make the playoffs mind you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

No one said to trade Chiarot! We would however like to have a player replace Chiarot while he is out, one that maybe HELPS us get into the playoffs instead of running a bandaid solution on D that more than likely causes us to fall completely out of the playoff picture! I outlined a trade scenario in the rumor thread that showed how we can acquire guys without moving Chiarot and gaining cap in the process. 

It would have made it easier to acquire an upgrade on LD, if we could have moved the salary of BC the other way. He only has one more year after this. Plus a pick(s) & maybe VM?  We don't have a lot of flexibility,  so we have to get creative. Moving BC would have done that.  So now that he is injured,  we lost that option.  And I like BC. Just not on the first pairing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, electron58 said:

It would have made it easier to acquire an upgrade on LD, if we could have moved the salary of BC the other way. He only has one more year after this. Plus a pick(s) & maybe VM?  We don't have a lot of flexibility,  so we have to get creative. Moving BC would have done that.  So now that he is injured,  we lost that option.  And I like BC. Just not on the first pairing. 

That is kind of my point, we do not need to move Chiarot. We can let him heal for the Playoffs and acquire Ekholm still. My package of Poehling + 2021 2nd (or Struble) + 2021 1st for Ekholm. Then we move Danault for Strome (1.5 Mil retained) + Schneider + 2021 4th, then Tatar + Lehkonen + 2021 2nd for Brown (1.875 mil retained) sends out 10.283 Mil not including the 3.5 Mil for Chiarot on LTIR or the deadline space we have acquired to date (1.7 Mil). We then take back 3.75 Mil for Ekholm + 3.0 Mil for Strome and 4.0 Mil for Brown = 10.75 Mil. Therefore the total cap opened at the time of all three trades is 15.483 Mil and the total brought back is 10.75 giving us a cap savings of 4.733 Mil which leaves us with ample room to bring Chiarot back before the end of season if healthy. As an added bonus we get Schneider for the future RHD hole opened up when Weber retires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MB says he believes Chiarot will be back closer to 6 weeks (i.e. before the playoffs). Assuming that's the case, the Habs can't simply acquire someone to use up his salary space. They can only get LTIR relief for the portion of time Chiarot is on LTIR. If he comes back with two games to go in the season, the Habs need to clear salary then to fit him back under the cap. By then, you may not have flexibility to trade anyone and you can only bury so much salary in the minors, so it's a bad spot to be in. If they knew Chiarot would be out a full 8 weeks, they could use his space. At present, they can only use a small part of it but will need to be cap-compliant when he's ready to return.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

That is kind of my point, we do not need to move Chiarot. We can let him heal for the Playoffs and acquire Ekholm still. My package of Poehling + 2021 2nd (or Struble) + 2021 1st for Ekholm. Then we move Danault for Strome (1.5 Mil retained) + Schneider + 2021 4th, then Tatar + Lehkonen + 2021 2nd for Brown (1.875 mil retained) sends out 10.283 Mil not including the 3.5 Mil for Chiarot on LTIR or the deadline space we have acquired to date (1.7 Mil). We then take back 3.75 Mil for Ekholm + 3.0 Mil for Strome and 4.0 Mil for Brown = 10.75 Mil. Therefore the total cap opened at the time of all three trades is 15.483 Mil and the total brought back is 10.75 giving us a cap savings of 4.733 Mil which leaves us with ample room to bring Chiarot back before the end of season if healthy. As an added bonus we get Schneider for the future RHD hole opened up when Weber retires.

Wow! That's a lot of moving parts. Do you really think Bergevin can even think that far ahead? I don't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

MB says he believes Chiarot will be back closer to 6 weeks (i.e. before the playoffs). Assuming that's the case, the Habs can't simply acquire someone to use up his salary space. They can only get LTIR relief for the portion of time Chiarot is on LTIR. If he comes back with two games to go in the season, the Habs need to clear salary then to fit him back under the cap. By then, you may not have flexibility to trade anyone and you can only bury so much salary in the minors, so it's a bad spot to be in. If they knew Chiarot would be out a full 8 weeks, they could use his space. At present, they can only use a small part of it but will need to be cap-compliant when he's ready to return.

Right but why not go out and get a guy like Ekholm to fill the top 4 role and slot Chiarot back to the 3rd pairing where he is more effective by moving fringe players like Lehkonen, Danault, Armia, Byron, Kulak, Mete, and Tatar? Ekholm's cap hit is 3.75 Mil we currently have 1.7 Mil deadline space that means we need to clear 2.05 Mil space to fit Ekholm, or Mete + Kulak. To me that is not such a horrendous feat to acquire a top 4 LHD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am curious to see two things over the next couple of weeks.

1. What happens with Caufield (kind of hoping He loses tonight and doesn't receive an invite to the Frozen Four Tournament or has an early exit.

2. If Harris signs his ELC and goes to Laval if he can pick up where he left off in the NCAA and earn a temp promotion to the Habs. (assuming we don't get Ekholm or someone else)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-trade-deadline-preview-can-montreal-clear-cap-space-ekholm/

 

But if they can find a way to do it — perhaps by moving Tomas Tatar’s $4.8-million cap hit, or Joel Armia’s $2.6-million in combination with Victor Mete’s $735,000 — they shouldn’t hesitate to move picks. And they have top-end prospects who can help them outbid several of the other suitors in the mix for Ekholm.

The Canadiens probably wouldn’t move Cole Caufield, who is a leading candidate for the Hobey Baker after an incredible season with the Wisconsin Badgers, but they could trade any other A-level prospect (or two) without significantly weakening their pool. Ryan Poehling, Jesse Ylonen, Lukas Vejdemo, Kaiden Guhle, Jordan Harris and Mattias Norlinder are just some of the names they could consider.

The Winnipeg Jets, who have massive incentive to get a player like Ekholm, can’t say the same. They have picks to dish, but as Ken Wiebe suggested in his column last week, Ville Heinola, Dylan Samberg and Cole Perfetti would all likely be off the table.

The Maple Leafs would likely love to add Ekholm, but if they’re going to move either Rasmus Sandin or Nick Robertson, you have to wonder if they’d prefer to do it for a couple of forwards — one high-profile winger and an edgy third-line centre. They also have Rodion Amirov and Timothy Liljegren to work with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-trade-deadline-preview-can-montreal-clear-cap-space-ekholm/

 

But if they can find a way to do it — perhaps by moving Tomas Tatar’s $4.8-million cap hit, or Joel Armia’s $2.6-million in combination with Victor Mete’s $735,000 — they shouldn’t hesitate to move picks. And they have top-end prospects who can help them outbid several of the other suitors in the mix for Ekholm.

The Canadiens probably wouldn’t move Cole Caufield, who is a leading candidate for the Hobey Baker after an incredible season with the Wisconsin Badgers, but they could trade any other A-level prospect (or two) without significantly weakening their pool. Ryan Poehling, Jesse Ylonen, Lukas Vejdemo, Kaiden Guhle, Jordan Harris and Mattias Norlinder are just some of the names they could consider.

The Winnipeg Jets, who have massive incentive to get a player like Ekholm, can’t say the same. They have picks to dish, but as Ken Wiebe suggested in his column last week, Ville Heinola, Dylan Samberg and Cole Perfetti would all likely be off the table.

The Maple Leafs would likely love to add Ekholm, but if they’re going to move either Rasmus Sandin or Nick Robertson, you have to wonder if they’d prefer to do it for a couple of forwards — one high-profile winger and an edgy third-line centre. They also have Rodion Amirov and Timothy Liljegren to work with.

The issue we are debating is MB said in his presser that he is not looking to fill the void on D left by the Chiarot injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...