The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

The good news after missing 4 games is that we'll still be in a playoff spot come Tuesday with  multiple games in hand on everybody chasing us. That's assuming we're back on the ice on schedule. The teams in front of us have opened up leads but we also have lots of games in hand. Let's hope we don't come out super flat vs the Sens.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

The NHL just updated a ton of games, a lot of which affects the Habs. This is the first change.

Edmonton at Montreal, scheduled for March 22, is now scheduled for March 30 at 7 p.m. ET

:freu1:Still probably won't be broadcast. :wut2:

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

The NHL just updated a ton of games, a lot of which affects the Habs. This is the first change.

Edmonton at Montreal, scheduled for March 22, is now scheduled for March 30 at 7 p.m. ET

It sure does! We now have 17 games in 30 days in April including 3 back to back.  April 7 - Leafs, April 8 - Jets. Wow! I am not sure how these guys are going to handle April but the scheduling is rough! In the event that another team or two hits the Covid protocol it could bring the season to an end.

As I said the season should never have even started under this pandemic. There is a lot at stake here not only for the players, coaches & team associates but the families as well. Last year the teams lived in bubbles but not so this time around. The US teams have had problems all season with players and coaches. Now we have the controversy regarding the seven day qarantine and the general public want to know why they do not have the same quarantine rules? What is going to happen come playoffs? The Canadian teams will be forced to play on US rinks due to border being closed. If the government even thinks of opening the border for these games there will be a massive explosion by the general public. 

With the case numbers now back up to over 2000 in Ontario for the last four days the virus situation is once again out of control due to our government doing a very poor job of handling this situation. I just pray every day that the players are safe and the fact that the Habs were hit with this protocol is a good indication that it could very well happen again.

Then what?:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, richard464 said:

It sure does! We now have 17 games in 30 days in April including 3 back to back.  April 7 - Leafs, April 8 - Jets. Wow! I am not sure how these guys are going to handle April but the scheduling is rough! In the event that another team or two hits the Covid protocol it could bring the season to an end.

As I said the season should never have even started under this pandemic. There is a lot at stake here not only for the players, coaches & team associates but the families as well. Last year the teams lived in bubbles but not so this time around. The US teams have had problems all season with players and coaches. Now we have the controversy regarding the seven day qarantine and the general public want to know why they do not have the same quarantine rules? What is going to happen come playoffs? The Canadian teams will be forced to play on US rinks due to border being closed. If the government even thinks of opening the border for these games there will be a massive explosion by the general public. 

With the case numbers now back up to over 2000 in Ontario for the last four days the virus situation is once again out of control due to our government doing a very poor job of handling this situation. I just pray every day that the players are safe and the fact that the Habs were hit with this protocol is a good indication that it could very well happen again.

Then what?:rolleyes:

I disagree with not starting the season. It's possible there may come a "cutoff" date. At that point it may go by winning percentage for placement. It's only the final four that are played outside division (country) . That is a ways away. It's possible the vaccine roll out could be further along by that point. Cases are going up yes but at least in the US the vaccine roll out is actually going strong. If the team out of the north had to play in the US maybe they would pick a neutral site for those games. If things are worse not better they can still go back to a bubble situation for the final 4 teams. 

My report card;

get an elite elite talent and there’s a good chance everybody sings a different tune. Those are the players that win 3 on 3 hockey. 

unfortunately elite elite talents are usually drafted  and drafted high. KK needs to become that  it’s hard to imagine he will

this team would look mighty different  at .500 in OT 

Canadiens clarify that players arriving in Quebec from the United States - like Eric Staal and Cole Caufield - are in fact serving a 14-day quarantine. But they are being given permission to serve the second half as a "working quarantine" within the Canadiens bubble.

Replying to
Just to be perfectly clear, the "working quarantine" means practicing with the team, traveling with the team and playing against other teams. This seems to be more of a political messaging issue with no practical work-related changes for the players themselves.

16 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Canadiens clarify that players arriving in Quebec from the United States - like Eric Staal and Cole Caufield - are in fact serving a 14-day quarantine. But they are being given permission to serve the second half as a "working quarantine" within the Canadiens bubble.

Replying to
Just to be perfectly clear, the "working quarantine" means practicing with the team, traveling with the team and playing against other teams. This seems to be more of a political messaging issue with no practical work-related changes for the players themselves.

you scared me for a second. But I think this just means, the latter 7 days, they need to quarantine, except for work... which is what everyone is pretty much doing regardless 

45 minutes ago, dreegking said:

My report card;

get an elite elite talent and there’s a good chance everybody sings a different tune. Those are the players that win 3 on 3 hockey. 

unfortunately elite elite talents are usually drafted  and drafted high. KK needs to become that  it’s hard to imagine he will

this team would look mighty different  at .500 in OT 

no 3 on 3 in the playoffs though

9 minutes ago, habsisme said:

no 3 on 3 in the playoffs though

For sure. And i think the coaching staff believes they are building this team for the playoffs. Its the only reasoning i can see behind them wanting 2 big slow guys on the top pair. In the playoffs they allow more clutching & grabbing to go unpenalized. 

Im not sure i agree with the tactic (and we need to get their first!) but i dont think the team cares too much about 3 on 3 or shoot outs tbh. 

7 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Replying to

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

9 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I disagree with not starting the season. It's possible there may come a "cutoff" date. At that point it may go by winning percentage for placement. It's only the final four that are played outside division (country) . That is a ways away. It's possible the vaccine roll out could be further along by that point. Cases are going up yes but at least in the US the vaccine roll out is actually going strong. If the team out of the north had to play in the US maybe they would pick a neutral site for those games. If things are worse not better they can still go back to a bubble situation for the final 4 teams. 

They now have 25 games in 41 days! It was going to be a challenge to make the final four but now they are climbing up a major hill with 100 lb weights on their back. I do not care how good any team is but to fact this type of schedule is rediculous! Physical fatigue will quicky add to mental errors and this team has done a real good job of creating errors even when they are well rested. In addition they have sat around for the last week so I am sure that the rust and timing could be detrimental in getting off to a good start.

The number of cases is on the rise and I feel there is another lock down coming in the next week unless there is a major shift. The US is totally out of control and following Spring Break as wll as the Easter weekend this week I am sure this will result in the same deal we saw at Christmas. I wish them well but the schedule will be their biggest opponent.

Not sure if we'll be allowed the extended roster after the trade deadline as in past years but that  would go a long way in resting players the odd night with this heavy a  schedule. I imagine we'll be OK in goal with both Price and Allen sharing the load. If they can stay healthy that will keep both goalies sharp. If we can extend the roster beyond the taxi squad we have enough forward depth to move players in and out to avoid burnout. Toffu should be back soon and we have Stall as an add on. Our only issue would be on D until Chiarot is healthy because we don't have a ton of options to spell our top 4.

With that gruesome schedule ahead of us, the team's depth will certainly be tested. It's going to be a huge challenge physically (and mentally) plus there's a good chance we'll have a bunch of banged-up players in no time. It's also an opportunity though, with that many games in April/May let's hope for a bit of a streak to start on a high note and solidify that playoff spot. There'll be rust for sure but the boys are also rested now and probably itching to get going again, so I remain hopeful.

The Staal acquisition could turn out to be a smart move, Evans was okay but not a really a factor recently, with Staal in the lineup we'll have plenty of options down the middle and he'll be important in the playoffs based on experience alone. Caufield could be a nice addition as well, since we'll be burning the first year of his ELC I think there's a good chance he'll see some action in Montreal. I mean, why not? Let's see what he has and if he can help, he stays. If not, he'll continue his development on a pretty good Laval team. It's a win either way. I also don't think MB is done, not expecting any major moves but he's good at tinkering and my guess is he'll add another depth player.

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

With that gruesome schedule ahead of us, the team's depth will certainly be tested. It's going to be a huge challenge physically (and mentally) plus there's a good chance we'll have a bunch of banged-up players in no time. It's also an opportunity though, with that many games in April/May let's hope for a bit of a streak to start on a high note and solidify that playoff spot. There'll be rust for sure but the boys are also rested now and probably itching to get going again, so I remain hopeful.

The Staal acquisition could turn out to be a smart move, Evans was okay but not a really a factor recently, with Staal in the lineup we'll have plenty of options down the middle and he'll be important in the playoffs based on experience alone.

This cant be overstated.  I really hope they are paying attention to things like ice time and load management. I really worry how this will impact guys like Weber who already look burnt.  Maybe this week off will help. 

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Caufield could be a nice addition as well, since we'll be burning the first year of his ELC I think there's a good chance he'll see some action in Montreal. I mean, why not? Let's see what he has and if he can help, he stays. If not, he'll continue his development on a pretty good Laval team. It's a win either way. I also don't think MB is done, not expecting any major moves but he's good at tinkering and my guess is he'll add another depth player.

I feel like Caufield is getting sent to Laval so Bouchard can evaluate him. I think if Bouchard tells DD "not a lot he needs to learn" then i think he'll be in montreal very quickly. If Bouchard thinks there's lots to be done I think CC will still try to force his hand because i am pretty sure he's going to light it up in the AHL. 

45 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Our first B2B  coming up, is on Apr. 30 & May 1. So chances are that the back half of the season will be packed with B2Bs. 

We have 6 B2B's with the first one set for April 7 and 8. I think you have your months mixed up.

Just now, H_T_L said:

We have 6 B2B's with the first one set for April 7 and 8. I think you have your months mixed up.

<checks notes> I stand corrected. Que the twilight zone. 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:41 PM, H_T_L said:

Not sure if we'll be allowed the extended roster after the trade deadline as in past years but that  would go a long way in resting players the odd night with this heavy a  schedule. I imagine we'll be OK in goal with both Price and Allen sharing the load. If they can stay healthy that will keep both goalies sharp. If we can extend the roster beyond the taxi squad we have enough forward depth to move players in and out to avoid burnout. Toffu should be back soon and we have Stall as an add on. Our only issue would be on D until Chiarot is healthy because we don't have a ton of options to spell our top 4.

I'm thinking you are able to, but still need to be cap compliant.  At least that's what I understood. 

Montreal announced Friday they have agreed to a one-year contract with defenceman Corey Schueneman

The Canadiens announced Friday morning that they are reassigning forward Laurent Dauphin and defenceman Xavier Ouellet to the AHL's Laval Rocket

The newest Montreal Canadiens forward, Eric Staal, will make his debut with the team Monday against the Edmonton Oilers, head coach Dominique Ducharme confirmed Friday.

Another Stinker, to Ottawa again.  How can we be so dominating for a couple games, and then stink the place out? It's scary when Carey is so ordinary!  With the other teams doing worse, we may just back our way into the playoffs, but I don't know if that is a good thing. It's time to hold some players accountable. Obviously, we can't place all the blame on Carey, but c'mon, he's gotta earn that salary some time. I didn't get to see the game, but judging from the comments, it must have been pretty frustrating to watch. Maybe another trade coming. What we need is consistency. If we're not careful,  Ottawa might catch us. You never know. Stranger things have happened.

Ottawa has a real good team there. They work very hard every shift and are very well coached! Despite the fact that Mr. Price was well below average last night there were a number of other problems that came into play last night. Our defence was terrible and forwards like KK, Suzuki, Leky and Drouin were not in the game. You could tell by the very first goal that Price was not sharp. He made a few good saves during the game but the goals he let in were not great goals for a $10M/yr goalie. Allen is playing much bettert than Price right now and he should be our go to guy. Price has played this way for two years now with the exception of the bubble playoffs last year he has been less than average. Mr. Bergevin was very demonstative in the box last night and the walls are closing in on him. He was not a happy camper. Evertime we managed to tie the game his milion dollar man let in another stinker to break the momentum.

This week starts a schedule of four games per week and if last night's performance is maintained our season is over. As posted many times we never know which team is going to show up. The first four minutes short handed to start the game just set the pace for the entire game as we chased it all night. The power play could have made a difference last night but it has also fizzled out over the past three games. With the upcoming brutal schedule there is no time to sort this out as I am sure practices will be nothing more than morning skates do to the fatigue factor.

• H_T_L locked this topic