The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2020-21 State Of The Habs

H_T_L

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

I want to make the playoffs BUT I only want to make them if we go in hot. If we can go 7-2 in our final 9 games for example then go for it. But I don't want to limp in at 3-6 and just get in because Calgary and Vancouver fizzled out too. That's why I've been pulling for both those teams to win games. Put the pressure on us to play well and ensure that if we get in, it's because we go in with a shot. Otherwise, I'll take the lottery pick.

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

does anyone else kind of hope we don't make the playoffs? It's going to take a miracle to beat the leafs in a series and I just don't think I can stomach it. On the other hand, beating them in a 7 game series would be as close to winning the cup as I've ever felt. 

Anything can happen. It's the playoffs. LOL

With JD on LTIR does that open up things for us on the hockey side of business?? Does Romanov pencil back into the lineup? Gally was skating yesterday. Does that mean he's close to a return and might be available before the season ends? Lots of interesting decisions to be made shortly. Not getting much news on Price's status lately. Could he be out for awhile? Maybe that's why MB didn't chose to switch Primeau and CL on the taxi squad. Something is definitely up.

19 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

With JD on LTIR does that open up things for us on the hockey side of business?? Does Romanov pencil back into the lineup? Gally was skating yesterday. Does that mean he's close to a return and might be available before the season ends? Lots of interesting decisions to be made shortly. Not getting much news on Price's status lately. Could he be out for awhile? Maybe that's why MB didn't chose to switch Primeau and CL on the taxi squad. Something is definitely up.

money wise, yes.  contract wise we've used up our 4 roster move thingys.  I believe anyone who was with the team up till the TD is ok & guys like Romanov would be ok. Im not sure if everyone on our taxi squad is available or some are outside that 4 move thing. Its a big mess.

Evans and CC are both on emergency recall basis.  JD is out for basically the season (regular at least) so that should give us some flexibility. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Drouin on LTIR leaves $5.82M of $9.25M available, which enables flexibility to keep Caufield and Evans on the active roster. @TSN_Edge 

Cr: @CapFriendly

15 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Drouin on LTIR leaves $5.82M of $9.25M available, which enables flexibility to keep Caufield and Evans on the active roster. @TSN_Edge 

Cr: @CapFriendly

But for every player who comes back from injury, one guy has to go down. Frolik might be in if Tatar can't go. Caufield and Evans are here with Drouin, Byron, and Gallagher all out. Drouin and Gallagher are both expected to miss the entire regular season, so one of Caufield/Evans gets to stay the whole year as needed. We lose the other one once Byron is back.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But for every player who comes back from injury, one guy has to go down. Frolik might be in if Tatar can't go. Caufield and Evans are here with Drouin, Byron, and Gallagher all out. Drouin and Gallagher are both expected to miss the entire regular season, so one of Caufield/Evans gets to stay the whole year as needed. We lose the other one once Byron is back.

Not sure of the specifics,  but seemed to be a reliable source.

Here's a look at the lines and D pairings featured at Wednesday's morning skate:

Lehkonen - Danault - Anderson
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Perry - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Frolik - Staal - Evans

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Merrill
Kulak, Gustafsson, Ouellet

Allen
Primeau
Lindgren

Kind of a mish-mash of a lineup. Not sure there are any real cohesive lines.

41 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Here's a look at the lines and D pairings featured at Wednesday's morning skate:

Lehkonen - Danault - Anderson
Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Perry - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Frolik - Staal - Evans

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Merrill
Kulak, Gustafsson, Ouellet

Allen
Primeau
Lindgren

Kind of a mish-mash of a lineup. Not sure there are any real cohesive lines.

Some or all of those lines change if Tuna is a go.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Not sure of the specifics,  but seemed to be a reliable source.

Wasn't debating your cap numbers. With Drouin on LTIR, the cap should no longer be an issue money-wise. It's now a question of MB having blown all his recalls... that's more what I was referring to.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Wasn't debating your cap numbers. With Drouin on LTIR, the cap should no longer be an issue money-wise. It's now a question of MB having blown all his recalls... that's more what I was referring to.

are these recall limits for this season or has it always been like this? It seems like a stupid rule and I don't get the purpose of it

14 minutes ago, electron58 said:

For sure. Caufield brings intrigue to any line he is on. Hopefully,  with 2 snipers,  Suzuki can find one of them open. Can you imagine?

The potential of this line is scary! if they can apply and keep pressure on it will be awesome to watch I am a little worried they may get burned on D I guess we will see I really hope they can pull it off. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

are these recall limits for this season or has it always been like this? It seems like a stupid rule and I don't get the purpose of it

There has always been a limit. It's come up with the Habs in the past a couple of years ago, but I don't recall it ever happening that 3 of the 4 recalls were burned on the first day. The limit of 4 recalls is from the trade deadline through the end of the regular season. After that you can recall whoever you like for the post-season. If anything, I would have though they would have been more lenient this year knowing you might need more roster flexibility with COVID and allowed unlimited recalls for 4 guys on your taxi squad PLUS say another 2-3 for guys in the minors on deadline day. Looks like most teams dealt with this okay though. Again, seems like poor management to have sent Byron down on deadline day to save an extra day of cap hit but then have to waste a recall on him and seems dumb to have demoted Romanov last game when they could have sent Byron down on paper while he was hurt and not playing anyways...

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

The potential of this line is scary! if they can apply and keep pressure on it will be awesome to watch I am a little worried they may get burned on D I guess we will see I really hope they can pull it off. 

Agree - the leafs don't play much of a physical game - If Suzuki overcomes the opposing centre and has some time and space for skating, I look forward to this combination

On 4/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, caperns61 said:

I would actually say that would be a bad evaluation of Mete. He is a really good skater and acutally not as bad a defender as people think. When he does get beat  usually because of his size - I agree. However the things he does do well help him more then others in the defensive zone. He gets to the puck quicker then any defender on our team. He has a good  outlet pass and see the ice actually quite well.  He was never given an oppurtunity on the PP even though we have struggled for ever.

And just to put things into perspective. 

Since 2017. He has the best plus minus of any habs defensemen. +30. Not bad for someone they consider weak defensively and only 22 years old 

Player GP P +/-
Victor Mete 185 34 30
Joel Edmundson 38 11 28
Shea Weber 187 102 19
Brett Kulak 147 28 15
Jordie Benn 158 37 13
Alexander Romanov 37 5 6
Noah Juulsen 44 8 6
Mike Reilly 90 23 3
Ben Chiarot 94 26 3
David Schlemko 55 7 2
Marco Scandella 20 3 1

Oh LOOK - Beauty goal by Mete tonight, speed kills and he has it, to bad the habs brass could not look past his size. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/mete-opens-the-scoring/t-323924744/c-8195985

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield is interesting!

This is actually exactly the sort of line you want Caufield on. 

Playmaker (Suzuki) and someone who will go to the net & has great hands for garbage goals (Toff) because caufield will likely be creating a lot of rebounds if someone can feed him the puck.    Really excited about this. 

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield is interesting!

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This is actually exactly the sort of line you want Caufield on. 

Playmaker (Suzuki) and someone who will go to the net & has great hands for garbage goals (Toff) because caufield will likely be creating a lot of rebounds if someone can feed him the puck.    Really excited about this. 

It should be a fun line to watch, although the rest of the line-up looks awful. That said, I'd prefer to see Kotkaniemi with Caufield if Caufield is lining up on the right wing. Give him the left-handed center who naturally has a pass to his right as the easier manoeuver. I'd prefer to see Anderson with Suzuki and if you did that, you could always have moved Caufield over to the left side for one-timers with the right-handed center.

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Lehkonen-Danault-Evans

Frolik-Staal-Perry (which should be getting 6 minutes a night).

3 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Oh LOOK - Beauty goal by Mete tonight, speed kills and he has it, to bad the habs brass could not look past his size. 

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah no loss there. Webber scored last game too........no speed there. Mete is a fringe player no more.

I'd like to see Mete do well. He deserves a chance.  

15 hours ago, caperns61 said:

1g0a through 8 games with Sens ... Mete makes their lineup only because they are rebuilding ... he is at best a 7th D on respectable teams.

If you compare how we played at the start of the season vs the tire fire of the last 20-25 games ... you can start to undestand the problem with this team.

Our success came when we played a speed game with a heavy forecheck that ran circles around the other team.    Then at some point we switched gears and starting playing a "clog the neutral zone" system which relies on positioning and hitting.    This in my opinion is the fundamental disconnect.    We have the players to play a speed game (albeit while protecting guys like Weber from getting caught due to speed), but MB insists on trying to build a roster that plays a heavy body, defensive game.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

He had one, how long do teams need to wait on players to find their game he has played first pairing minutes second and third we all know he is pretty fast but that is about it.

Yes, he did, but, not really this year. He should have garnered the benefit of the doubt, but was the forgotten one. 

• H_T_L locked this topic