Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Habs and Jets Monday 15th


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • H_T_L pinned this topic
1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

The first of two big games. We need this one.

Every game is getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon they will be meaningless. Pretty hard to be optimistic. Maybe we should have lost to Pittsburg. Anything can happen in a short series, and that 'anything' was that we won. Misleading? Time will tell. We're running out of excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are learning that Winnipeg’s top 6 match up very well with Toronto’s top 6, so staying out of the sin bin pbox will be key against their firepower. It’s going to be a dog fight for that 4th spot, so let’s show some heart, work ethic and creativity in this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Price starts.

Mete out, Ouellet in.

Ducharme says we'll see new defence pairings tonight but need to wait til later to see what they are. My guess is we're going to get Kulak-Weber, Edmundson-Petry, Ouellet-Romanov.

Danault is doubtful, will skate later today and tell team whether he can go. Otherwise, I guess we'll see Byron at center again and find out if it's Byron or Evans who moves up to 3C.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Price starts.

Mete out, Ouellet in.

Ducharme says we'll see new defence pairings tonight but need to wait til later to see what they are. My guess is we're going to get Kulak-Weber, Edmundson-Petry, Ouellet-Romanov.

Danault is doubtful, will skate later today and tell team whether he can go. Otherwise, I guess we'll see Byron at center again and find out if it's Byron or Evans who moves up to 3C.

Well today has been all about getting "GREAT" news for the Habs (sarcasm), we are going to be out of a playoff spot sooner than expected at this rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, electron58 said:

Every game is getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon they will be meaningless. Pretty hard to be optimistic. Maybe we should have lost to Pittsburg. Anything can happen in a short series, and that 'anything' was that we won. Misleading? Time will tell. We're running out of excuses.

You know i was thinking about this today. 

On the one hand, had we lost in the bubble (or not qualified at all) we would likely have a better player than Guhle right now - maybe even someone who was ready to step on the roster this year (our other picks would have been higher too so maybe we would have added another quality player in the 2nd etc).

But oh the flip side, without seeing what Suzuki and JK did in those playoff games, MB almost certainly wouldnt have traded for Anderson and we likely wouldnt have attracted (or gone after) Toffoli.  So its a bit of a double edged sword. Even adding guys like Edmundson (who has been a lot better than i would have expected) and Allen would probably not have been in the plan for MB had that play-in/playoffs not happened. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Season series, 2020-21

Jets 3-1-0 13 GF
Canadiens 1-1-2 14 GF

Previous scores

Feb. 25/21: WINNIPEG 6, Montreal 3
Feb. 27/21: WINNIPEG 2, Montreal 1 (OT)
Mar. 4/21: Winnipeg 4, MONTREAL 3 (OT)
Mar. 6/21: MONTREAL 7, Winnipeg 1

TEAM SCORING LEADERS VS OPPONENT

JETS VS CANADIENS

Paul Stastny: 3-1-4, +1
Kyle Connor: 2-2-4, +1
Nikolaj Ehlers: 1-3-4, 0

CANADIENS VS JETS

Tomas Tatar: 1-4-5, +3
Brendan Gallagher: 3-1-4, +2
Joel Armia: 3-1-4, +1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I feel like we kind of need them all right now. :lol:

Hopefully the team performs better than they did in Alberta. Those Calgary games were embarrassing.

This. We need an extended win streak. None of this 1-1-1 crap.  We need to go on a 6+ game winning streak to have any hope of turning this mess around. There is no reason this roster shouldnt be able to be a top 3 team in the north division. None. 

 

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Price starts.

Mete out, Ouellet in.

Ducharme says we'll see new defence pairings tonight but need to wait til later to see what they are. My guess is we're going to get Kulak-Weber, Edmundson-Petry, Ouellet-Romanov.

Danault is doubtful, will skate later today and tell team whether he can go. Otherwise, I guess we'll see Byron at center again and find out if it's Byron or Evans who moves up to 3C.

Not that Mete has  been great but Ouellet doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. Id rather have brought Fleury off the Taxi squad.  Or Brook - who has looked pretty good in Laval this year (although maybe they want to keep working with him down there).

I would personally prefer seeing:
Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Weber
Romanov-Fleury/Brook  
But I know thats a lot of youth on that 3rd pairing. 

Centre ia a worry & something we've been talking about for a while.  Suzuki & JK are fine for your top 2 (understanding they will make mistakes & there will be ebbs and flows to their seasons) but we really need someone who can step in, in a pinch.   Danault is ok as a 3rd line centre. Evans Is ok as a 4th (although his offensive game seems to have completely dried up?)  and Byron can work in a pinch (Zero offensive instincts as a centre though).  But we really need to find a way to add a veteran if we hope to make the playoffs.  

We've talked about Getzlaf but there are a lot of great UFA centres out there right now. Most wont be available (you know Boston will resign Krejci and Edmonton will try to get RNH under contract soon) but maybe you could add an insurance policy like Stepan, Laughton or  Iafallo.   Again, this is totally going to depend on what we are offering, but at least I feel somewhat confident DD wont overplay a vet (and the expense of Suzuki/JK) the way Julien did.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

No problem with Ouellett drawing in. Mete looks like a number 7 right now.

But why not play Fleury? he's on the taxi squad already & would push whoever is playing 3rd pair RD back to their proper position.  Seems odd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

But why not play Fleury? he's on the taxi squad already & would push whoever is playing 3rd pair RD back to their proper position.  Seems odd. 

Fleury's not on the taxi squad right now. Habs have been moving guys up and down off of there to hold spots but he isn't on the road trip and isn't currently on the taxi squad. Ouellet is the only extra D man on the road trip. Not to say they couldn't have made a move and brought another guy out, but Fleury played for Laval yesterday and I'm assuming today... Laval is also short on D men right now, so they maybe thought it wasn't a good idea to swap him and Ouellet on planes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure why they insist on giving Weber the slowest partner left on the team, but there it is. Kulak-Petry better be getting the first-pairing assignment or we're doomed. Not sure I care much for the defensive abilities of the other two pairings. Ouellet will need sheltering but so too will Weber-Edmundson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Fleury's not on the taxi squad right now. Habs have been moving guys up and down off of there to hold spots but he isn't on the road trip and isn't currently on the taxi squad. Ouellet is the only extra D man on the road trip. Not to say they couldn't have made a move and brought another guy out, but Fleury played for Laval yesterday and I'm assuming today... Laval is also short on D men right now, so they maybe thought it wasn't a good idea to swap him and Ouellet on planes.

Oh Duh and i knew that. Totally forgot they sent Fleury and Poehling down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

From Marc-Andre Perreault of TVA:

Drouin Kk Anderson

Toffoli suzuki Gallagher

Armia danault tatar

evans byron perry

 

Weber Edmundson

Petry kulak

Ouellet romanov

Not sure i would blender the lines up front just yet.  Sure we need to play better but it was more about actually sticking with the system (and putting in some effort!) and less about who was playing with who imho.  Weird to see Evans on the wing. I still think there are at least a couple of guys I would sit before Lehks. 

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure why they insist on giving Weber the slowest partner left on the team, but there it is. Kulak-Petry better be getting the first-pairing assignment or we're doomed. Not sure I care much for the defensive abilities of the other two pairings. Ouellet will need sheltering but so too will Weber-Edmundson.

It was foreseeable but dumb.  Then again, we know Petry-Kulak works - and Edmundson has been good - i know there's some question about whether his numbers have been propped up by Petry but we've seen in the past a lot of players who were purportedly brought in to play next to Jeff but just did not play well next to him (Chairot-Petry, Alzner-Petry).

I think right now, if Edmundson can play as he has been and Weber can just try to simplify things, it might not be as bad as we think.  Guess we'll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not sure i would blender the lines up front just yet.  Sure we need to play better but it was more about actually sticking with the system (and putting in some effort!) and less about who was playing with who imho.  Weird to see Evans on the wing. I still think there are at least a couple of guys I would sit before Lehks. 

It was foreseeable but dumb.  Then again, we know Petry-Kulak works - and Edmundson has been good - i know there's some question about whether his numbers have been propped up by Petry but we've seen in the past a lot of players who were purportedly brought in to play next to Jeff but just did not play well next to him (Chairot-Petry, Alzner-Petry).

I think right now, if Edmundson can play as he has been and Weber can just try to simplify things, it might not be as bad as we think.  Guess we'll see. 

I think the reporter from TVA just jotted names down. He also had Tatar on the right and Armia left. So I wouldn't read too much into order. I'm assuming Evans is still at center and he just wrote names down as lines rather than set-up...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Not sure why they insist on giving Weber the slowest partner left on the team, but there it is. Kulak-Petry better be getting the first-pairing assignment or we're doomed. Not sure I care much for the defensive abilities of the other two pairings. Ouellet will need sheltering but so too will Weber-Edmundson.

... i don't get it either

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...