The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Toronto Series Thread - games start May 20 -

I simply don't sense desire and hunger in this team for the playoffs.  Maybe they felt satisfied that they've already done their part to avoid the embarrassment of a sweep by the Leafs in a series they themselves don't believe they could win.  Maybe it's COVID isolation fatigue and separation from their families that many players just wish to get the playoffs over with quickly to go home and be reunited with their loved ones.

It's also disappointing that Jonathan Drouin did not voluntarily report back for duty in time for the playoffs. Could really have used him to fill any centre depth. Loyalty and commitment really mean nothing in pro sports these days; it's all about the paycheck.   

10 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

I simply don't sense desire and hunger in this team for the playoffs.  Maybe they felt satisfied that they've already done their part to avoid the embarrassment of a sweep by the Leafs in a series they themselves don't believe they could win.  Maybe it's COVID isolation fatigue and separation from their families that many players just wish to get the playoffs over with quickly to go home and be reunited with their loved ones.

It's also disappointing that Jonathan Drouin did not voluntarily report back for duty in time for the playoffs. Could really have used him to fill any centre depth. Loyalty and commitment really mean nothing in pro sports these days; it's all about the paycheck.   

This is a pretty weak comment, a persons health and well being go beyond money and sport. 

CC and Suzuki were our best players last game. I would have Tatar playing alongside those two for tonight's game. Anderson with JK and Tofu. Gallagher with Danualt and either Byron or Leks if Healthy. And fourth line Byron and or Leks with Staal/Evans if healthy  and Armia...

Right now DD is in panic mode and shuffling lines all over the place.  The kids, CC, JK and Romanov should have been in the lineup since game one.

Just wondering if CC crossbar would have been a goal, if this was his third game and not his first. Would his timing be better. Would he be identyfying the open ice better. probably

The team doesn't look good enough to complete against the Leafs. We're not being embarrassed, per se, but the Leafs just look better in almost every aspect of the game. Price gave them a chance to win last night (could easily have been 4-1), but the team has only four goals in three games. You don't win in the playoffs with paltry goal totals like that. Our PP looks worse than ever.

Our D is slow and immobile. Our forwards can't bury chances. Matthews is not letting the physical play bother him. We're not gonna win this series.

2 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

The team is just not good enough IMO . Apart from the first 10 to 15 games at the beginning of the year , they have been average at best . 
We do not know what’s wrong with Drouin . Possibly not mentally ready to play hockey ; there are more important things in life . 

23 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We're not gonna win this series.

Price is giving them a chance as he always does but lack of scoring will be their downfall. I believe it was Brian Wilde posted on Twitter that in 21 playoff games they’ve scored 63 goals for Price . 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The team doesn't look good enough to complete against the Leafs. We're not being embarrassed, per se, but the Leafs just look better in almost every aspect of the game. Price gave them a chance to win last night (could easily have been 4-1), but the team has only four goals in three games. You don't win in the playoffs with paltry goal totals like that. Our PP looks worse than ever.

Our D is slow and immobile. Our forwards can't bury chances. Matthews is not letting the physical play bother him. We're not gonna win this series.

Depends on which team your talking about,,,, the one that plays with confidence like we saw in the 3rd last night,,, or the one that plays not to lose like we saw in periods 1 and 2. I don't want to even discuss game 2 because it was clearly the refs who decided that outcome. Last night we beat ourselves. 

9 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Depends on which team your talking about,,,, the one that plays with confidence like we saw in the 3rd last night,,, or the one that plays not to lose like we saw in periods 1 and 2. I don't want to even discuss game 2 because it was clearly the refs who decided that outcome. Last night we beat ourselves. 

Agree.

Will we win this series? tough to say. Can we? yes.  As usual, game 4 is the pivotal game in the series.  Which team shows up? The one that is playing to win or the one that is playing not to lose? 

30 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Well. It's the same team.

The fact that they only showed up for the third period (once Toronto had the lead) in indicative of their capability. There doesn't exist a version of this team that plays three periods in a row like they played in the third last night. And they still never even scored a goal in that period.

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Considering we don't know what the concern or issue is that is a completely ignorant comment to make. Health well being and a persons personal life and well being is more important than any job "yes including hockey". 

Montreal won the 1st game barely

Leafs won 2nd game big time

Leafs won the 3rd game  barely ; Price gave Montreal a chance as Montreal was outplayed in the 2nd period and Leafs were playing without their 2nd Line C ; and Montreal still couldn't score enough

I cant see Montreal turning things around , this is who they are and the way they played down the stretch ( although the stretch run was a lot of games condensed ) 

I am no fan of Drouin but he has issues of some kind there is no way a guy would just not show up to play in the playoffs whatever is going on must be serious enough to keep him out, we have to respect that he has a life first and is a player second. One thing I will say is we miss him on the power play, I know he has not scored much but he is very creative with the puck and a great passer! notice anything about our powerplay? it is slow moving and predictable! Drouin when he was on his game had flair and imagination with the puck I think he would have been the perfect set up man for CC! depending on what is wrong with him we may never know I hope for him that he gets to play hockey again.

32 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I am no fan of Drouin but he has issues of some kind there is no way a guy would just not show up to play in the playoffs whatever is going on must be serious enough to keep him out, we have to respect that he has a life first and is a player second. One thing I will say is we miss him on the power play, I know he has not scored much but he is very creative with the puck and a great passer! notice anything about our powerplay? it is slow moving and predictable! Drouin when he was on his game had flair and imagination with the puck I think he would have been the perfect set up man for CC! depending on what is wrong with him we may never know I hope for him that he gets to play hockey again.

This. 

Hopefully he ends up well enough to even consider it.  

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

We do miss him on the PP. He was excellent at entering the zone with control.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree life first, hockey second. I too hope he is able to return to hockey one day, hopefully next season. I think a line of him, Suzuki and CC would be really good 

Said this at the beginning of the series but I thought

1. The Habs would win one of the first two games of the series when they were fresh.

2. After that, the veterans would get worn down and it would be too hard for them to keep up with Toronto.

3. The only hope to remain competitive was if deployment was drastically improved... no Staal, no Perry, no Merrill, using Allen instead of just going back to the well with Price very night, limiting Weber's role, not playing Chiarot/Weber together, etc. I also predicted none of those things would happen and that the Habs' coaches wouldn't make any useful changes either at all or until we were down to facing elimination.

This entire series has been sad and predictable.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Said this at the beginning of the series but I thought

1. The Habs would win one of the first two games of the series when they were fresh.

2. After that, the veterans would get worn down and it would be too hard for them to keep up with Toronto.

3. The only hope to remain competitive was if deployment was drastically improved... no Staal, no Perry, no Merrill, using Allen instead of just going back to the well with Price very night, limiting Weber's role, not playing Chiarot/Weber together, etc. I also predicted none of those things would happen and that the Habs' coaches wouldn't make any useful changes either at all or until we were down to facing elimination.

This entire series has been sad and predictable.

This has Zero to do with the vets. We cant score if are life depended on. No net presence. I have seen about 8000 line combinations since DD. We just are not good enough...

10 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The Habs  just aren’t good enough no matter who is dressed . CC has played 2 games , JK played 3 games : there is no difference . The leafs are outplaying 

Yep. True. No alignment of the current players is going to beat the Leafs in a seven-game series. I'm happier to see the younger players get experience, but even the most "optimal" combination of our players isn't going to make a difference. Toronto is much, much better.

I don't put much stock in what Craig Button has to say, but... in his post-game discussions on TSN, he mentioned, "Desperation is not a plan." I feel like that sort of sums up where Montreal is at.

Very disappointing. To not even be in game four. Too many of the players are playing with no sense of urgency. Skating slowly out of or into zones and being stripped of the puck. Seems like a lot of them want this season to be over. 
Only good thing that might come out of this, is that MB might lose his job. Let’s hope. 

Suzuki, CC, KK I thought have played well, Would like to see what CC could do with a legit center man who can actually pass him the puck.  Maybe play CC with Suzuki and Anderson would be nice.   Our #1 line is just abysmal, PD is a horrid center who seems to be a shadow of himself can't seem to get any consistency in the face off circle.  Tatar and Galley need a legit center to be successful.

I thought our D has played ok, not great but OK.  Meril is just a pylon and not sure why he is in the line up and Petry is just trying to do too much and putting himself out of position more often than not

DD has been a total disappointment as a coach, changing line ups way to much, players need consistency with line mates in order to gel....... for that matter the entire coaching staff has been somewhat disappointing.

19 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Very disappointing. To not even be in game four. Too many of the players are playing with no sense of urgency. Skating slowly out of or into zones and being stripped of the puck. Seems like a lot of them want this season to be over. 
Only good thing that might come out of this, is that MB might lose his job. Let’s hope. 

:2008122810303:

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

Suzuki, CC, KK I thought have played well, Would like to see what CC could do with a legit center man who can actually pass him the puck.  Maybe play CC with Suzuki and Anderson would be nice.   Our #1 line is just abysmal, PD is a horrid center who seems to be a shadow of himself can't seem to get any consistency in the face off circle.  Tatar and Galley need a legit center to be successful.

I thought our D has played ok, not great but OK.  Meril is just a pylon and not sure why he is in the line up and Petry is just trying to do too much and putting himself out of position more often than not

DD has been a total disappointment as a coach, changing line ups way to much, players need consistency with line mates in order to gel....... for that matter the entire coaching staff has been somewhat disappointing.

DD has definitely been a bad coach. His decisions have been bad. I haven't been real impressed with JK he's been alright  but he doesn't drive a line like an elite center can. I would love to see what JD/Suzuki/CC could do together. Hopefully next season they'll be able to get a shot.

Really curious to see how we do next game.  We're in an interesting position- obviously odds are that we lose & its over but if you manage to sneak that win out in game 5, you head back to Montreal, with fans in the stands (albeit 10%) for the first time in over a year. Does that motivate the team?  There's a legit chance if we win tomorrow we can actually force a game 7 - and of course anything can happen in that case.

Im not a betting man - but if i was, I wouldnt bet on us - but there's a sliver of hope of at least a couple more games. 

On the flip side if we lose tomorrow, thats probably it for MB and the rest of the team.  He's had nearly a decade and this year he spent to the cap... and for what.  I dont think even he can pull the wool over Molson's eyes after this season (assuming we lose this series. If we somehow pull off a miracle like 2010 then probably MB gets another year.

Speaking of re-signing, how much have guys like Danault, Tatar and Armia hurt their chances of being resigned after this debacle?  

• H_T_L locked this topic