The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021 NHL Draft

With the draft being weaker this year and a lot of unknown going in. Who would be your pick for the Habs? We will be picking anywhere from 16th-32nd probably in the 16-25 range. Our organizational needs are a future top 6 LW and a top 4 RHD. The range the Habs are in is pretty weak for these players. I like ceulemans but an under the radar pick I really like is Mailloux. Curious about who others see as a good pick.

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

With the draft being weaker this year and a lot of unknown going in. Who would be your pick for the Habs? We will be picking anywhere from 16th-32nd probably in the 16-25 range. Our organizational needs are a future top 6 LW and a top 4 RHD. The range the Habs are in is pretty weak for these players. I like ceulemans but an under the radar pick I really like is Mailloux. Curious about who others see as a good pick.

I wouldn't mind focusing on D. That late in the first round it's a crapshoot, but... I feel like we need more prospects on D. I'm not sold on any of Guhle, Brook, Norlinder, Fleury, and co. making an impact at the NHL level.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wouldn't mind focusing on D. That late in the first round it's a crapshoot, but... I feel like we need more prospects on D. I'm not sold on any of Guhle, Brook, Norlinder, Fleury, and co. making an impact at the NHL level.

Its going to be interesting for sure.  This year is going to be really hard to draft because of the lack of scouting / info etc.  I could see Timmins & co getting a couple of real Gems since we seem to excel with 2nd rounders and there's no real pressure with 'playing it safe' in the 1st round this year as we often do with players like Guhle.   90% chance of being an NHLer... 30% chance of ever rising above the bottom half of the lineup. 

I think you still take BPA regardless of position. Sure, we're probably set at C but if the BPA is clearly a C or a G, you take them & trade someone if necessary. 

I do agree that D is probably the place to focus, if we're looking positionally. I think we'll be well staffed from #3-6 but #1-2 is a tough call. I think Romanov could be a #2. I think Norlinder still has a chance at a top pair guy as does Brook but having some more options would be better. Its unlikely that Harris or Struble or Fairbrother or even Guhle will be top pairing guys but with quantity we have an increased chance that someone is a late bloomer. All have a good shot at being #3-6 guys.  

We're not super stocked at wing prospects (although we have decent depth there that is by and large not too old) but we've seen that wing is probably the easiest position to acquire from trade or UFA     Again, if BPA is someone like CC then you draft him but if its just a middle six winger, that you can fill in later imho. 

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

24 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its going to be interesting for sure.  This year is going to be really hard to draft because of the lack of scouting / info etc.  I could see Timmins & co getting a couple of real Gems since we seem to excel with 2nd rounders and there's no real pressure with 'playing it safe' in the 1st round this year as we often do with players like Guhle.   90% chance of being an NHLer... 30% chance of ever rising above the bottom half of the lineup. 

I think you still take BPA regardless of position. Sure, we're probably set at C but if the BPA is clearly a C or a G, you take them & trade someone if necessary. 

I do agree that D is probably the place to focus, if we're looking positionally. I think we'll be well staffed from #3-6 but #1-2 is a tough call. I think Romanov could be a #2. I think Norlinder still has a chance at a top pair guy as does Brook but having some more options would be better. Its unlikely that Harris or Struble or Fairbrother or even Guhle will be top pairing guys but with quantity we have an increased chance that someone is a late bloomer. All have a good shot at being #3-6 guys.  

We're not super stocked at wing prospects (although we have decent depth there that is by and large not too old) but we've seen that wing is probably the easiest position to acquire from trade or UFA     Again, if BPA is someone like CC then you draft him but if its just a middle six winger, that you can fill in later imho.

If I'm MB and TT, I'm not drafting by positional need. You take BPA and you let the cards fall as they might. Right now, our organizational depth is strong at RW and LHD. It's actually fairly weak at center in that you have Suzuki, JK, Poehling, Evans and not much else, and it's hard to know if you have an elite player in that mix or just a few serviceable top 6-9 guys the way Plekanec and Koivu were. There's potential there, but there's not someone who is clearly elite yet and I still think the Habs need to up their top end at center to win a Cup. Likewise, the RHD spot is paper-thin. They've been using Brook as a forward recently, which doesn't say much for what they think of his organizational importance as a D man, and Fleury is a 3rd-pairing guy if he cracks the NHL. So those are the two biggest needs for me.

In terms of what we already have, I like what Norlinder brings. I like what Harris and Struble bring. I'm less sold on Guhle being elite, but you have a few good prospects there and someone among them is likely going to pan out as a top 4 D man. Guhle and Harris maybe have higher floors than the others and Norlinder clearly has the highest ceiling.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Lottery draft results,,,,

Ducks moved from 2nd to 3rd

Seattle moves from 3rd to 2nd

Sabres pick 1st and all others finish in order.

Funny how that played out. Almost exactly as the pre draft positioning.  Wonder what the odds were for that to happen? Just seems weird.

9 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Funny how that played out. Almost exactly as the pre draft positioning.  Wonder what the odds were for that to happen? Just seems weird.

Yup. The only teams to move were the Ducks and the Crackheads

Personally  I would like to see MTL draft  Zachary L'Heureux (5-11, 196), LW, Halifax (QMJHL), another power forward to go with our smaller skill players.  Plays similar to Tkchuk and adds the Grit I think we need to compete further.  If this means we trade down so be it, would certainly fill a gap we have on the wing

18 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Personally  I would like to see MTL draft  Zachary L'Heureux (5-11, 196), LW, Halifax (QMJHL), another power forward to go with our smaller skill players.  Plays similar to Tkchuk and adds the Grit I think we need to compete further.  If this means we trade down so be it, would certainly fill a gap we have on the wing

Could be a lot of surprises in this unknown draft. Teams with the best scouts will definitely hit some homeruns.  Let's hope the Habs are one of these teams!

23 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

If we lose to the Jets, we pick at #17 (16 if you do the Arizona forfeit math), and if we beat the Jets but lose to Colorado  / Vegas, we pick at #28. If there's any year to screw up your draft ranking, this may be it!

At #17, my personal pick would be C / RW - Xavier Bourgault who offers stronger scoring ability than L'Heureux - but we have a habit of burning out our french prospects with the pressure. I doubt McTavish, Sillinger or Lucius fall to us. NHL Central Scouting who don't get it right that often, have  Bourgault ranked at #13 North American skaters vs. L'Heureux at #30. Other prospects of interest for me are Sasha Pastujov, and Atu Raty. Big question marks on NHL central scouting are the European skaters rankings as perhaps a lot of film was used vs. teams having their own resident scouts in Europe. Example Fabian Lysell is highly ranked but central scouting has him at #9

At defense - we certainly have a plethora of LHD prospects, and in virtually all years one should draft Best Available Player - It's just in this year of questionable evaluations, I am not sure that there is a strong distinction differentiating ability over need. My pick would be RHD Corson Ceulemans out of the Alberta Junior league ranked at #14 by central scouting NA skaters - Yes a little inferior league but Dylan Holloway came out of this league. Just turned 18 and he is 6-2 198 lbs and would provide depth for Petry in future years.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, claremont said:

Captain Obvious says we now pick at number 31 or 32 in the first round 

Just now, Manatee-X said:

Ugh, seriously?  What a disaster of a season this has been.

;)

It was all part of Marc's plan.  He was targeting a guy at 17th overall but since this year was such a topsy turvy one, we're not sure where everyone is going to get draft so he said "ah, screw it, we'll just win the cup & forgo a decent pick this year". Haha.  

As everyone is saying this is going to be an interesting draft. I have no insight as to who we should draft as I don't keep up with junior hockey but I hope we are able to trade down and get some picks for next year. We've been able to do that in the past, and its the right strategy, it just may be harder this year. 

Its hard to tell wether picks say outside the top 10, are more or less valuable this year. I think most would say less, but you might think we have a real shot of getting first round talent in the 2-5 rounds this year which obviously isn't usually the case. 

10 hours ago, claremont said:

Captain Obvious says we now pick at number 31 or 32 in the first round 

But since Arizona forfeited its first rounder, our first pick will actually be 30th or 31st overall.

As was noted, this year's draft is as much of a crapshoot as any given the lack of evaluation, and if we win the Cup, it's all worth it. I would give up 1st round picks galore in the next 5 drafts if I knew we would sweep the Cup finals and win.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal's picks:

1. 31
  2. 63
  3. 64
  4. 76
  5. 87
  6. 113
  7. 126
  8. 127
  9. 142
  10. 191
  11. 223

I can't say that I am excited about this draft. Maybe they find a diamond in the rough in the first few rounds, but not drafting until 31st overall is a bit disappointing. We certainly won't be getting a Cole Caulfield this year.

True. But we might get a Romanov or Norlinder.    Timmins, imho often has guys he wants but cant target them too high.  With our pick being the lowest possible in the first round, its essentially a 2nd rounder, so hopefully they let Timmins go wild & pick whomever he thinks is best, even if its a guy thats off everyone's radar. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal's picks:

1. 31
  2. 63
  3. 64
  4. 76
  5. 87
  6. 113
  7. 126
  8. 127
  9. 142
  10. 191
  11. 223

I can't say that I am excited about this draft. Maybe they find a diamond in the rough in the first few rounds, but not drafting until 31st overall is a bit disappointing. We certainly won't be getting a Cole Caulfield this year.

Its going to be a draft with a lot of hope and chances of finding someone who makes it. In this draft, the margins between BPA and Need are as thin as they will ever be, based on lack of consistent scouting information. So Center, LW, RHD would be the need areas IMO. If we have the ability to move up with some trades, then I say we should do it. The value of this year's picks again because of lack of scouting consistency may perceive mean picks are not as valuable as established players, so maybe we can give up a couple of roster players who don't fit. My personal picks in the #31 slot remain as 1) Xavier Bourgault 2) Sasha Pastujov, 3) Corson Ceulemanns, 4) Francesco PInelli. I really hope we don't go after smaller forwards or high school potentials until round 3 or 4. MB made some splashes in free agency - about time he makes some splashes via trades either for picks or other players. 

23 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Montreal's picks:

1. 31
  2. 63
  3. 64
  4. 76
  5. 87
  6. 113
  7. 126
  8. 127
  9. 142
  10. 191
  11. 223

Montreal drafts 30th, not 31st, in the First Round.

https://www.nhl.com/news/2021-nhl-draft-first-round-order-complete-picks-1-31/c-325597430

Let's grab a puck moving left defenseman.

Lol of course we have two 2nd’s, and both are the last two picks in the round…

Any suggestions on who we might want to see picked with that 30th? It’s a weird draft, so little hockey was played this past year, not nearly as much for scouts to analyze. Could be a lot of surprises, good and bad. It could also make a lot of pre draft rankings useless, guys could be picked all over the place

42 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Lol of course we have two 2nd’s, and both are the last two picks in the round…

Any suggestions on who we might want to see picked with that 30th? It’s a weird draft, so little hockey was played this past year, not nearly as much for scouts to analyze. Could be a lot of surprises, good and bad. It could also make a lot of pre draft rankings useless, guys could be picked all over the place

I have no idea (and honestly most years outside of the top 3-5 I dont know much about the prospects) but im hoping we nab another dark horse like Romanov.  Someone the TSN 'experts' will be shocked by but who will be a key member of the team in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I have no idea (and honestly most years outside of the top 3-5 I dont know much about the prospects) but im hoping we nab another dark horse like Romanov.  Someone the TSN 'experts' will be shocked by but who will be a key member of the team in a couple of years. 

Every year I like to flip through THN’s draft preview, see what pops out at me. For this year some of the names that look interesting, and could be available are Bolduc, Behrens, Bourgault, Morrow, Dean, Pinelli, Stankoven, Kisakov, Boucher and Mailloux. Some of these guys might just be out of reach, but you never know. But so far that’s my short list

• H_T_L locked this topic