The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal vs Winnipeg Series Thread

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I was pretty pleased with the series win over Toronto. I didn't expect it. It was a pleasant surprise!

I felt less invested going into round two. After the Evans hit... I feel like I really, really want the team to galvanize around this moment and just whoop the Jets. Scheifele deserves to be suspended for this series. I hope the league gets the suspension right.

yes and yes. But it is the NHL and my hopes are  not too high that they will do the right thing on Scheifele. They ought to but then again... 

I have zero hope of Evans being back any time soon. Likely done for the series. I would guess Tuna pencils back into the lineup ( not sure of Lehky;s status ). I don't expect there to be any retribution by the Habs unless a game gets lopsided. The Vets on this team will make sure everybody stays focused IMO.

Getting back to this series,,,,, we did what we had to last night getting at the very least a split on the road. Not sure what adjustments Maurice will come up with to counter,, other then their goaltender standing on his head next game.  

1 hour ago, southernhabfan said:

yes and yes. But it is the NHL and my hopes are  not too high that they will do the right thing on Scheifele. They ought to but then again... 

Scheifele has been offered a phone hearing for the hit, so... Five games or less.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I have zero hope of Evans being back any time soon. Likely done for the series. I would guess Tuna pencils back into the lineup ( not sure of Lehky;s status ). I don't expect there to be any retribution by the Habs unless a game gets lopsided. The Vets on this team will make sure everybody stays focused IMO.

Oh yeah, Evans might be "relatively okay" (I have no idea), but he's definitely not going to be back on the ice during this series. I would be shocked if he can recover THAT fast. Head injury for sure.

I would expect Tatar to be back next game, too.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Edmundson quotes that if the league does not get it right, the team is going to make it pretty miserable for Scheifele to play. If the team chooses to follow the code, I am not sure which player we can afford to drop the gloves and pound him - Our big 4 d have been solid, - Chiarot broke his hand in a fight so not sure he wants to do that again, Edmundson and Weber we cannot afford to lose, Josh Anderson will drop the mitts and although he is struggling, I would hate to see him in the box. Perry is more of a responder not an initiator so maybe Kulak steps up. If no suspension, I think we may see a lot of hidden stick work, slashes etc. The code sets an awful example for kids following this game too.

It's too bad - Evans has a history of a couple of bad concussion and head hits and was really starting to emerge as a contributor. 

18 minutes ago, claremont said:

Edmundson quotes that if the league does not get it right, the team is going to make it pretty miserable for Scheifele to play. If the team chooses to follow the code, I am not sure which player we can afford to drop the gloves and pound him - Our big 4 d have been solid, - Chiarot broke his hand in a fight so not sure he wants to do that again, Edmundson and Weber we cannot afford to lose, Josh Anderson will drop the mitts and although he is struggling, I would hate to see him in the box. Perry is more of a responder not an initiator so maybe Kulak steps up. If no suspension, I think we may see a lot of hidden stick work, slashes etc. The code sets an awful example for kids following this game too.

It's too bad - Evans has a history of a couple of bad concussion and head hits and was really starting to emerge as a contributor. 

Yeah, I have no idea who would be our "code" guy in this situation. My guess is Chiarot or Anderson.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

With Gustafsson being at fault on the Winnipeg short-handed goal, do we think we'll see him back in for game two?

Tough to say. I think the fact he's had such an impact on the PP's effectiveness means he dresses. It puts a lot of strain on the other DMen though if he's only getting single digit ice time minutes. 

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

You have to think Tatar is back, yes. I think he'll be energized (although tbh i dont think he was terrible before getting scratched).  If that line can get going offensively watch out. 

41 minutes ago, claremont said:

Yeah im not sure.  Weber looked like he wanted blood but the fact he hasnt taken off a glove for ages tells me he's likely still nursing that hand injury.  I think Chiarot would drop them immediately. I dont think his broken hand will deter him & I think he's the most likely guy to jump in. Edmundson doesnt fight much any more but i remember a few good ones in St Louis. I think he'll step up if no one else does. Perry definitely has the most fights of anyone on the team - I do think he would challenge Schiefle if no one else did. Anderson is possibly our most intimidating fighter outside of Weber. He has likely been told not to fight because he almost never does any more but his first few years he fought a lot.  

I think you're more likely to see people make schiefle's life hell, lots of targeted hits and stick work until he finally has enough but we shall see. Im hoping DPS gives him 5 games and we wrap up the series before he gets back because I think his return would be a severe distraction. 

22 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I have no idea who would be our "code" guy in this situation. My guess is Chiarot or Anderson.

Probably the 2 most likely. That said, Kotkaniemi is big, surprisingly agile in a fight and clearly very good friends with Evans. I could see him taking it upon himself to fight Schiefle.  Im not saying he should and i KNOW the coaches dont want that, but i think its a real possibility. 

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

i hope so, i really would like to give romanov a chance at least

If they didnt play him for game 1 i have a hard time seeing them doing it now but who knows.  If there's one thing this coaching staff is, its.. surprising. lol. 

Perry confirming they won't look for retribution other then by winning this series. I'm sure he won't be the only Veteran with that message. That's not to say they won't take every opportunity to plaster him into the boards.

18 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Perry confirming they won't look for retribution other then by winning this series. I'm sure he won't be the only Veteran with that message. That's not to say they won't take every opportunity to plaster him into the boards.

That's what I'm thinking too. they can do more damage by winning the games/series than head hunting.

27 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yup, keep the focus and win this round for Evans

I also think that if he isnt suspended for the duration, when Scheifele comes back, he'll be less effective.  He looked shaken up after he realized the severity of the hit. During the scrum when people were grabbing him & he turned & saw Evans, motionless, he stopped even fighting back. He looked shell-shocked. 

Don't get me wrong, it was brutal, he was out of control for most of the 3rd and he needs to be punished, but I also dont think he was trying to seriously hurt anyone. Im sure any of us who have played sports remember a time when we hurt someone & didnt mean to. I am pretty sure if/when he comes back he's going to be playing a far more conservative game at least for a few games.  Look how 'off' Perry looked for the first few games after the Tavares hit & that was 100% accidental. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I also think that if he isnt suspended for the duration, when Scheifele comes back, he'll be less effective.  He looked shaken up after he realized the severity of the hit. During the scrum when people were grabbing him & he turned & saw Evans, motionless, he stopped even fighting back. He looked shell-shocked. 

Don't get me wrong, it was brutal, he was out of control for most of the 3rd and he needs to be punished, but I also dont think he was trying to seriously hurt anyone. Im sure any of us who have played sports remember a time when we hurt someone & didnt mean to. I am pretty sure if/when he comes back he's going to be playing a far more conservative game at least for a few games.  Look how 'off' Perry looked for the first few games after the Tavares hit & that was 100% accidental. 

Yup,,,, i don't need to see another useless Foligno type response. Send them golfing and message will be sent loud and clear.

34 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Ehlers earned a little respect IMO for his reaction after the hit. Kudos to him for protecting Evans from any additional harm.

definitely, ive always liked him as a player and now even more so as a person, lots of respect for him

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

definitely, ive always liked him as a player and now even more so as a person, lots of respect for him

Yes indeed

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Ehlers earned a little respect IMO for his reaction after the hit. Kudos to him for protecting Evans from any additional harm.

Amen

5 minutes ago, southernhabfan said:

Yes indeed

Amen

Agree with all the above about Ehlers not the sort of thing an opposing player has to do after a legal hit......... as for the hit at the time he did it he meant it. I don't care if he felt bad after killers probably do as well and they often have no history of it either but they still did it.

Renaud Lavoie reporting that at the end of the game, the Jets players were yelling at the Canadiens' bench that the hit was Evans' fault for not keeping his head up and that the Habs shouldn't complain because Perry did "exactly the same thing to Tavares." Lavoie says a brawl almost erupted at the benches and Blake Wheeler was heard telling his teammates to tone it down.

So hence the comments from Ducharme about how the Habs didn't get any apology or regret from the Jets. They just seemed to think Evans deserved it. Really doesn't speak well of the Jets' organization. They come across as being disrespectful and thuggish. Still haven't heard any stories about the Jets' issuing an apology or reaching out to Evans the way Perry did to Tavares, even if his incident was an accident.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Renaud Lavoie reporting that at the end of the game, the Jets players were yelling at the Canadiens' bench that the hit was Evans' fault for not keeping his head up and that the Habs shouldn't complain because Perry did "exactly the same thing to Tavares." Lavoie says a brawl almost erupted at the benches and Blake Wheeler was heard telling his teammates to tone it down.

So hence the comments from Ducharme about how the Habs didn't get any apology or regret from the Jets. They just seemed to think Evans deserved it. Really doesn't speak well of the Jets' organization. They come across as being disrespectful and thuggish. Still haven't heard any stories about the Jets' issuing an apology or reaching out to Evans the way Perry did to Tavares, even if his incident was an accident.

If the team or Sheiflele hasn't reached out to Jake by now they never will. Just shows their lack of respect, IMO.

Way too little. The problem here is that people are celebrating this as being a victory because the DOPS has set such a low standard and is so inconsistent that there was a fear it would be only one or two. Sure, four is better than that but Evans will almost certainly miss more than 4. DOPS states in their explanation that the hit was predatory and that Scheifele intended to try and hurt Evans. How is this only 4 games? Easily should have been 20 and it shouldn't matter that they're playoff games vs. regular season games. Evans is out for playoff games too. He doesn't get to choose to defer his injury to the regular season. BS ruling here.