• Habs in 6
    • Habs in 7
    • LV in 4
    • LV in 5
    • LV in 6
    • LV in 7

On 6/12/2021 at 2:05 AM, PuckPundit said:

What do you think:

1. Will Ryan Reeves or another Vegas player try to run Price out of the series? 

2. Will we finally see Ben Chiarot drop the gloves in this series?

3. How many Habs injuries will there be in a hard hitting physical contest with Vegas?

4. How many goals will Max Pacioretty score against the Habs?

5. Will Price's form finally regress, having to fend off a never-ending barrage of Vegas shots match after match?

This year will Matthews and Marner lower their handicaps as much as last year with another  early start to the golf season ?

some overall stats MTL vs LV:

- These are the two winningest teams in NHL history. Montreal has a .587 winning percentage all time. Las vegas is .613

- These two teams have only played 6 times... ever.   They have only beaten us once (their record is 1-2-3 - meaning our record, all time is 5-1 against LV).   They have never won in Montreal. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

some overall stats MTL vs LV:

- These are the two winningest teams in NHL history. Montreal has a .587 winning percentage all time. Las vegas is .613

- These two teams have only played 6 times... ever.   They have only beaten us once (their record is 1-2-3 - meaning our record, all time is 5-1 against LV).   They have never won in Montreal. 

I like.

Not that it matters now, but... I don't know... Price plays well, gets in their head... Worked against Toronto and Winnipeg! :D

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I like.

Not that it matters now, but... I don't know... Price plays well, gets in their head... Worked against Toronto and Winnipeg! :D

For sure. And the nice thing is that while we can dig up "toronto hasnt beaten montreal in x number of decades" - it really doesn't have a ton of impact because none of teh players were even born then - but the 6 games these 2 teams have played feature a LOT of the same players in the lineup. 

With all the made-up talk about Patches wanting to get back at MB for trading him, I'm wondering if Tatar could be an option in this series... just saying. Clearly not the same thing but maybe there's some unfinished business there, too.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

With all the made-up talk about Patches wanting to get back at MB for trading him, I'm wondering if Tatar could be an option in this series... just saying. Clearly not the same thing but maybe there's some unfinished business there, too.

You have to think that if/when tatar draws back in he'll be motivated - for a number of reasons (old team, wanting to prove something, playing for a contract etc) but honestly i dont think lack of effort has ever been a problem with Tuna, he just hasnt been particularly effective, at least not offensively... but you can say that about several of our forwards actually... 

6 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You have to think that if/when tatar draws back in he'll be motivated - for a number of reasons (old team, wanting to prove something, playing for a contract etc) but honestly i dont think lack of effort has ever been a problem with Tuna, he just hasnt been particularly effective, at least not offensively... but you can say that about several of our forwards actually... 

I like Tatar , that said I think Lehks and hopefully Evans are better suited to a "heavy" game which Vegas will play!

Didn't realize this until tonight, but the 4 teams in the semis in the bubble not that long ago were Tampa, the Isles, Vegas, and Dallas. Three of the four were exactly the same teams, and this is the stage where Vegas went out to a lower-ranked Stars team.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Didn't realize this until tonight, but the 4 teams in the semis in the bubble not that long ago were Tampa, the Isles, Vegas, and Dallas. Three of the four were exactly the same teams, and this is the stage where Vegas went out to a lower-ranked Stars team.

Good to know. Maybe history can repeat itself. 

OMFG Kulak was absolutely horrible last night, I am beginning to wonder if he even knows how to play D in his own end.  2 goals were a result of his lack of coverage or poor coverage.  If this is the way he is going to play I would hope to see Merril in the lineup and Kulak on the bench.

4 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

OMFG Kulak was absolutely horrible last night, I am beginning to wonder if he even knows how to play D in his own end.  2 goals were a result of his lack of coverage or poor coverage.  If this is the way he is going to play I would hope to see Merril in the lineup and Kulak on the bench.

He panic in the dee zone any kind of pressure, that is why he gets more offensive zone starts, than almost any player in the entire NHL. 

1 hour ago, 26NCounting said:

I certainly do, I think his motivation would be huge!!  And really it's not like he can do any worse than Armia

Uhm, the guy who's tied for the team lead in goals without seeing any PP time? I'm fine with giving Tatar a shot, but not really at the expense of Armia, especially against a team like Vegas.

3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Uhm, the guy who's tied for the team lead in goals without seeing any PP time? I'm fine with giving Tatar a shot, but not really at the expense of Armia, especially against a team like Vegas.

yeah I would move Byron out probably, maybe Anderson but he did play better last night

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Anyone think Tatar should draw back in?

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

I certainly do, I think his motivation would be huge!!  And really it's not like he can do any worse than Armia

20 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I also wouldn't remove Armia. Byron is the obvious candidate to come out based on how he's played, and Staal, who played well in round 1 but has gradually become more invisible again as the playoffs have moved on, would be another candidate. The only reason I would consider keeping Byron is if you can reunite the Byron-Evans-Lehkonen line in full as your 4th line.

As far as wingers go, I think it's a given that Gallagher, Toffoli, and Caufield stay in. Everyone else is fair game, but based on how physical and fast Game 1 was, I think you're likely going to need to keep Anderson and Armia around to match what Vegas can do. I think we all agree, though, that Tatar's purgatory needs to be over and the team needs to reintegrate him somehow. The lack of offensive finish remains our biggest failure. As I posted in the lines thread, if fully healthy, I'd start Game 2 with

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Armia

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Evans-Lehkonen

Lines 3 and 4 are lines that have had success before. The first line puts a slumping Anderson with two guys who have the ability to get him going, while also benefiting from his speed and the space he creates. And Toffoli and Armia have both individually played well with JK, who needs to get away from Anderson and Byron. It also gives Toffoli some bigger linemates and moves him away from a smaller, less physical line.