Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Season Over Review


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

The good, the bad and the ugly. 

Good:

We went to the SCF.

CP,,,, nuff saiid.

Our PK.

We proved all the pundits wrong (Love it).

The kids,,, we have a bright future. 

 

The Bad:

A lot of passengers in the SC POs. Gally, Toffu, etc.

The powerless power play.

Own goals.

 

The ugly: 

Fill in here. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good:  

Start of year was amazing, so many new guys gelled with little time together.

Most of the playoffs

Watching young guys growing up and getting better

Bad:

Season from 15 games on to end and first 4 games against leafs lol (a lot!)

Ugly:

The feeling you get from another team lifting a cup that don't wear the c h.  Especially american teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When we won game 5 and then game 6 and went into game 7 against the laffs I said "if they can win this, i could care less about beating the jets. this is our Stanley Cup"

But we did it, then we swept the jets and then handled a "much better" Vegas team all while being underdogs and playing guys with separated fingers, broken thumbs, etc etc.  

Very proud of this team. I know this stings, especially for those older guys who have not been there (ever, or for a long time) - coming so close - 3 wins away! But such is life. Im sure this is not the last time CC and Suzuki and our young guys will be here.  I feel bad for Weber and of course Price but I have a feeling they might get one more chance before they hang em up.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

When we won game 5 and then game 6 and went into game 7 against the laffs I said "if they can win this, i could care less about beating the jets. this is our Stanley Cup"

But we did it, then we swept the jets and then handled a "much better" Vegas team all while being underdogs and playing guys with separated fingers, broken thumbs, etc etc.  

Very proud of this team. I know this stings, especially for those older guys who have not been there (ever, or for a long time) - coming so close - 3 wins away! But such is life. Im sure this is not the last time CC and Suzuki and our young guys will be here.  I feel bad for Weber and of course Price but I have a feeling they might get one more chance before they hang em up.
 

Time to start planning our own salary cap chicanery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good,,,,, this team.:5187:

Bad,,,, questionable lineup choices. A guy like Romanov wasn't good enough to play most of the playoffs and yet there he is on the ice late in a game 7 of a Cup final.. CC not good enough to start the playoffs. KK benched over Staal who was clearly spent in this series. Those are just a few.

Ugly,,,, the best referees in the world. :rolleyes:

Oh,,,,, and the LEAFS SUCK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Bad,,,, questionable lineup choices. A guy like Romanov wasn't good enough to play most of the playoffs and yet there he is on the ice late in a game 7 of a Cup final.. CC not good enough to start the playoffs. KK benched over Staal who was clearly spent in this series. Those are just a few.

I dont mind keeping CC (or even JK) out of the lineup to start the playoffs (although you can certainly argue that maybe we dont go down 3-1 if they had been dressed) but the handling of Romanov was totally baffling. Likewise JK once he was in the lineup. This kid is the future, keep him in. You win and lose with your best players.  Sure, he might make a mistake but so did Staal and Perry at times.    Having a guy like Staal on the 4th line is a luxury but shouldnt be one at the expense of one your core players.

That said, DD did a LOT of good things with this lineup. The way he managed to roll those 4 top dmen seamlessly most nights was pretty darned impressive. He made excellent in game adjustments so while I dont love everything he did, overall i was super impressed with the way he bounced back in the playoffs.

With Julien I dont know if we would have made it out of the first round (but maybe we wouldnt go down 3-1) but i am pretty positive this roster doesnt make it to the SCF with Claude. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Time to start planning our own salary cap chicanery. 

Yeah,,,, no need for trade deadline pickups. Load up pre season then get a few doctors notes and have them sit out the whole season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

The good, the bad and the ugly. 

Good:

We went to the SCF.

CP,,,, nuff saiid.

Our PK.

We proved all the pundits wrong (Love it).

The kids,,, we have a bright future. 

 

The Bad:

A lot of passengers in the SC POs. Gally, Toffu, etc.

The powerless power play.

Own goals.

 

The ugly: 

Kinot

 

 

 

Fixed it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Good,,,,, this team.:5187:

Bad,,,, questionable lineup choices. A guy like Romanov wasn't good enough to play most of the playoffs and yet there he is on the ice late in a game 7 of a Cup final.. CC not good enough to start the playoffs. KK benched over Staal who was clearly spent in this series. Those are just a few.

Ugly,,,, the best referees in the world. :rolleyes:

Oh,,,,, and the LEAFS SUCK

I read this in one of the other threads this morning (sorry for not quoting whoever came up with it) but although some of the lineup choices were not great they weren't realistically the difference in the Tampa series.  Would putting Romanov in earlier or subbing in Tatar have been a better idea?  I think so.  Would it have won us the series?  Probably not.  Montreal was always going to live and die in this series by their effort and by the whims of the hockey gods... and we didn't quite get the divine help that we needed.  C'est la vie.  It was fun.


Good: Suzuki - Caulfield - Anderson.  I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do in a full season next year.

Bad: Not quite making it, especially knowing that with our UFAs and with the entry draft our group of vets is likely not going to get another chance to make a run together.

Ugly: No choice here but the reffing.  I don't say this lightly, since I know it's someone's career at stake, but I hope Chris Lee is done in this league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, Toffoli just wasn't involved in the same way he was in the regular season and the earlier playoff rounds. Not surprising to hear that he's injured.

Glad to hear that in a crazy way because I was worried about his play. at least we know he can do better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ducharme confirms that Weber, Pertry, Gallagher and Toffoli all playing through major injuries.

Yeah, not surprising. Everybody knew about Weber and Petry but Gallagher and Toffoli just weren't the same after the Vegas series. Hearing that they both suffered groin injuries "and more" explains a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, not surprising. Everybody knew about Weber and Petry but Gallagher and Toffoli just weren't the same after the Vegas series. Hearing that they both suffered groin injuries "and more" explains a lot.

I actually dont think Gallagher ever recovered from his injury during the regular season. He was having a heck of a time with grip strength it seemed like.

I also think there were guys who played through an injury and got better - like Anderson, who appeared to not be able to shoot for the first 1/2 of the playoffs but finally seemed to have his shot back (possibly a healed hand injury?) in the Vegas series. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Ducharme confirms that Weber, Pertry, Gallagher and Toffoli all playing through major injuries.

 

That's the list I would have thought was the case. Wouldn't be surprised if guys like Anderson, Evans, Perry, and Kulak also had things affecting their quality of play at times, but those were the 4 guys who really seemed incapable of doing everything they usually do. Toffoli seemed to start the playoffs really well and then dropped off in the last two series. Petry we know about. Gallagher was disappointing from start to finish and not his usual self. Weber was off a bit but he's been "playing through injury" it seems like the past two years, so that's basically close to his norm now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...