The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Beside CP, who Is Your MVP

kinot-2

Yeah Zuke has been great so have many of the D but early in the playoffs I think a case could be made for Perry, I think he played a big part in settling the room down and getting the boys into the right mindset he faded as the playoffs went on but I think he was a force against the Laffs.

Just now, maas_art said:

Suzuki for sure but honest this was a whole team effort. Aside from a couple of fringe guys like Merrill, pretty much everyone else played a big role. 

Definitely a team thing and it‘s been a fun ride. Carey was instrumental but that’s why we‘re paying him like a superstar. Suzuki would be my #2 as well, but I really liked Perry, Armia, and Edmundson too. Nothing flashy obviously but these guys are made for playoff hockey.

5 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Definitely a team thing and it‘s been a fun ride. Carey was instrumental but that’s why we‘re paying him like a superstar. Suzuki would be my #2 as well, but I really liked Perry, Armia, and Edmundson too. Nothing flashy obviously but these guys are made for playoff hockey.

I didn't choose Armia since I can't quite nominate him as "most valuable" on the team, but him and Edmunston were by far and away the winners of my "exceeded my expectations" award.  I wouldn't have given a thought to replacing either with spare parts before the playoffs started, but they sure made names for themselves throughout all four series.

43 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

I didn't choose Armia since I can't quite nominate him as "most valuable" on the team, but him and Edmunston were by far and away the winners of my "exceeded my expectations" award.  I wouldn't have given a thought to replacing either with spare parts before the playoffs started, but they sure made names for themselves throughout all four series.

Yup. And while he cooled a bit, Id add Chiarot to that list of players who were so-so in the reg season but elevated their games, in the playoffs, beyond what i thought was possible with their skillsets. 

47 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

I would agree with that too however Armia did not consistently elevate thru every game and maybe that's a little harsh or unfair. Chiarot and Edmundson definitely over achieved but I still think we should look at capitalizing on their high value by trading one of them as they play similar games. Kulak and Romanov will provide adequate support if we get stronger forwards for one of those, and wait for our LHD prospect pool to deliver depth. The challenge next year to make the playoffs still remains. 

3 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

Yeah, certainly not a MVP candidate but still criminally underrated I think. I truly hope we keep him, he's big and strong, responsible defensively, just so good along the boards, and always good for a goal too. He also was the key to make that 4th line work I think, a treat to watch during the playoffs.

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I would agree with that too however Armia did not consistently elevate thru every game and maybe that's a little harsh or unfair. Chiarot and Edmundson definitely over achieved but I still think we should look at capitalizing on their high value by trading one of them as they play similar games. Kulak and Romanov will provide adequate support if we get stronger forwards for one of those, and wait for our LHD prospect pool to deliver depth. The challenge next year to make the playoffs still remains. 

I think we might lose one to the ED. I dont think you could trade one before it because the new team would need to protect... def. a conundrum. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think we might lose one to the ED. I dont think you could trade one before it because the new team would need to protect... def. a conundrum. 

That conundrum will be interesting - Did Chiarot or Edmundson elevate their game over their regular season performance to make them more valuable than Jake Allen who I would have said prior to the playoffs was virtually a lock to be claimed by the Krakken. Assumption - Habs protect Petry, weber despite my risk in thinking he should be left unprotected for the cap value), and likely Edmundson over Chiarot and Kulak. There are a lot of good defensemen that will be unprotected in the draft, so I still think it is Jake Allen who is the better value pick for the Krakken. 

6 minutes ago, claremont said:

That conundrum will be interesting - Did Chiarot or Edmundson elevate their game over their regular season performance to make them more valuable than Jake Allen who I would have said prior to the playoffs was virtually a lock to be claimed by the Krakken. Assumption - Habs protect Petry, weber despite my risk in thinking he should be left unprotected for the cap value), and likely Edmundson over Chiarot and Kulak. There are a lot of good defensemen that will be unprotected in the draft, so I still think it is Jake Allen who is the better value pick for the Krakken. 

The other thing you need to factor in is other teams.

When teams submit their protected/exposed lists, it is shared with all the teams.  So lets say you're - team X and you really like Chiarot & see he's left unprotected.  You call up the Kraken & say "if you take Chiarot with your pick, we'll trade you _______"

Not saying it will happen but there's definitely some room for side-deals that might influence what Seattle does in terms of who they pick.  Maybe they end up picking the best defensman exposed by 10 different teams & then trade 3 or 4 of them..  tough to say.   Im hoping MB is looking at those lists & maybe finds something special there for us... 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The other thing you need to factor in is other teams.

When teams submit their protected/exposed lists, it is shared with all the teams.  So lets say you're - team X and you really like Chiarot & see he's left unprotected.  You call up the Kraken & say "if you take Chiarot with your pick, we'll trade you _______"

Not saying it will happen but there's definitely some room for side-deals that might influence what Seattle does in terms of who they pick.  Maybe they end up picking the best defensman exposed by 10 different teams & then trade 3 or 4 of them..  tough to say.   Im hoping MB is looking at those lists & maybe finds something special there for us... 

You are absolutely correct - a lot of teams like us might bid for the unprotected Vince Dunn - perhaps a cheaper buy from the Krakken vs. negotiating with St. Louis and then having to protect Vince Dunn over another one of our D.  The Krakken have some exclusive free agent negotiations but a sign then trade deal wouldn't make much sense unless to avoid a bidding war. Among unprotected forwards that we might be interested in Seattle picking and then we trade for them would be J. T. Compher or valeri Nicushkin -  Colorado, Sam Bennett or Anthony Duclair - Florida, one of Adam Lowry or Mason Appleton - depending on which one is unprotected - Winnipeg, otherwise, I did not see much on the forward unprotected tree. 

• H_T_L locked this topic