The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Can you waive an injured player??

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Good point. You can waive an injured player I believe, but maybe not one on the IR. 

yeah good point. I mean if you could waive them they are not part of your 23 man roster while they are on IR so it would make no sense to drop them

Last year after 18 games, Claude Julien had a 0.612 win percentage and was fired.

This year after 18 games, Dominique Ducharme has a 0.278 win percentage. After taking over last year, the team got worse and had a 0.487 win percentage. 

Unless this team is trying to lose, I am absolutely baffled as to how this guy still has a coaching job. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/notebook-ducharme-canadiens-cant-allow-frustration-divide/

BROSSARD, Que. — It was the line of the night, uttered by Dominique Ducharme to reporters at Madison Square Garden after his Montreal Canadiens lost for the 14th time in 18 games this season — this one 3-2 to the New York Rangers.

We have to execute (when) we have the puck,” the coach started. “You have to make some plays. With the skills NHL guys have, we work pretty hard to get the puck back, so once we have it, we need to keep it.”

And then out it came from the coach: “I’d love to be able to come up with a system for that, but I don’t have one.”:4224::7013:

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

Randy Cunneyworth: 18-23-9  (.439 %)

Dominique Ducharme:  19-28-9 (.404%)  - this year only: 4-12-2 (.250%)

Just putting this here... 

Very clear that CUnneyworth's leash was shorter on account of language. He never had a chance.

21 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Equally  mind boggling is how a GM whose team missed the playoffs 3 yrs in a row, would have missed a 4 th if it weren't for the extra bye in round - surprisingly made it to the finals  last year  and this year will miss the PO's still has a job 

3 years in a row out and as you said, 4th year where they were effectively out as well and where a COVID-related technicality got them in despite finishing 24th overall. And then last year, they really only got in because of the weak division they were in. They weren't one of the top 16 best records in the league and they achieved their mediocre record playing against horrible teams. I'll give them the fact that they stepped up in the playoffs, but this has been 5 years in a row that we would have effectively missed the playoffs if we had played normal seasons. In other words, the roster MB built was bad for the past 5 years and was not a playoff-caliber team for the past 5 years. I'd argue the roster was better last year than this year, and I'd argue the roster was better when MB took over the team than it has been the past 5 years too. He's continued to make this team worse, so very unclear how he still has a job.

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

Guys I'm pretty sure we didn't miss 3 years in a row. I mean you can make the argument we should have missed 4 years in a row but we actually only missed 2, and one of them we really should have made it

I stand corrected  missed  2  years ( 17-18 and 18-19 )

19-20 effectively out as well and where a COVID-related technicality got them in despite finishing 24th overall.

Either way team has not been very good for the last five years

11 hours ago, Manatee-X said:

So now you're saying we've got a lame duck owner/president in addition to our lame duck GM and our lame duck coach?  Will someone call a vet and just deal with all these ducks already??  This is getting out of hand.

It is.  So what qualifies Molson to be the President?  Besides being the owner. 

11 hours ago, electron58 said:

It is.  So what qualifies Molson to be the President?  Besides being the owner. 

Technically nothing but as owner he doesnt really need to be qualified.  Of course if our Board of Governors wasnt made of of Molson, his family and MB and such, maybe they would put some pressure on him to hire a real hockey president... 

Montreal Canadiens recall top prospect Cole Caufield from AHL

The Montreal Canadiens have recalled winger Cole Caufield from the Laval Rocket of the AHL.

Caufield, 20, had two goals and three assists in six games since being sent to the Rocket earlier in the season.

The team announced the move on Twitter on Thursday.

This guy has no idea how the NHL works.

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault is scheduled to make an announcement later today related to the development of professional hockey in the province.

Legault has been dropping hints about his plans over the past few weeks, and he tweeted a photo of himself in late October related to his discussions with the head of Hockey Québec about ways to increase the number of Quebecers in the NHL.

The premier told a radio station in Quebec's Mauricie region last week he wanted to improve the training of "future" NHL players in the province.

He said Quebecers' pride in the Montreal Canadiens would be boosted if the NHL team had more players from the province.

In May, Legault publicly lamented the absence of Quebec-born players on the Habs' roster after the team didn't dress a single Quebecer for one of its matches — a first in the team's history.

The Canadiens are currently ranked 29th in the NHL, having won four of 18 games.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 18, 2021.

I get the guy is proud of his heritage, but to tie that into a professional sports team is a bit of a stretch to me. Where was this guy when the Expos were in town? Is he just as vocal about the Alouettes of the CFL? If a French player can make this team on talent, then all the power to him, but it shouldn't be a pre requisite, nor should the Habs look to fill lineup holes solely on the merit of language, BPA,,, best player available.

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

This guy has no idea how the NHL works.

MONTREAL — Quebec Premier François Legault is scheduled to make an announcement later today related to the development of professional hockey in the province.

Legault has been dropping hints about his plans over the past few weeks, and he tweeted a photo of himself in late October related to his discussions with the head of Hockey Québec about ways to increase the number of Quebecers in the NHL.

The premier told a radio station in Quebec's Mauricie region last week he wanted to improve the training of "future" NHL players in the province.

He said Quebecers' pride in the Montreal Canadiens would be boosted if the NHL team had more players from the province.

In May, Legault publicly lamented the absence of Quebec-born players on the Habs' roster after the team didn't dress a single Quebecer for one of its matches — a first in the team's history.

The Canadiens are currently ranked 29th in the NHL, having won four of 18 games.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 18, 2021.

Is he also asking for more Quebec coaches and players on the Als?

4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I get the guy is proud of his heritage, but to tie that into a professional sports team is a bit of a stretch to me. Where was this guy when the Expos were in town? Is he just as vocal about the Alouettes of the CFL? If a French player can make this team on talent, then all the power to him, but it shouldn't be a pre requisite, nor should the Habs look to fill lineup holes solely on the merit of language, BPA,,, best player available.

Exactly.

The flames have exactly zero alberta born players. The oilers have a few i think but honestly none are really elite & i imagine they could care less.   I get that Quebec has a special culture and a different language but if you build you business based on where your employees are born you're putting yourself at huge disadvantage where you would ideally want an equal playing field. 

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Legault's a politician and his gesturing is all for votes. His primary interest is in riling up nationalistic support and has nothing to do with the success of the Habs. Sure, we'd all love to see local talent do well, but you ask a true fan and they want the Habs to win no matter whether the players and coach are of any particular nationality, race, or language. Legault is likely a fan, but he's got his own interests that he clearly places above the team.

I don't think there are any saviours out there ready to step in and save this season, but for the sake of my personal sanity there needs to be heads rolling tonight. What is the holdup? This team has quit on the coach ( and he probably deserves it) and there isn't a red suit out there (including Santa's) that should save MB from the same fate. 

• H_T_L locked this topic