The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

What is the point of blaming specific players :rolleyes:

as  you can imagine , blame a goalie , blame the new guy and blame the # `1 D man 

https://awinninghabit.com/2021/11/26/montreal-canadiens-players-responsible-habs-awful-record/

Montreal Canadiens: Three Players Most Responsible For Habs Awful Record

From the above article ( I took out their names because everyone's been playing crap not just these 3 )

The Canadiens shouldn’t be as bad as they are this season. This lineup on paper doesn’t look like one of the absolute worst teams in the league. But they are playing like it, because ?, ? and ?  have not been as good as they need to be.

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

From the above article ( I took out their names because everyone's been playing crap not just these 3 )

The Canadiens shouldn’t be as bad as they are this season. This lineup on paper doesn’t look like one of the absolute worst teams in the league. But they are playing like it, because ?, ? and ?  have not been as good as they need to be.

I mean. Really, though.

The Canadiens are bad because Bergevin did a bad job of putting together the coaching staff and team. He's been here since 2012. We're no closer to being a competitive post-season team. It's time for the Bergevin era to end.

After the Buffalo game

Josh Anderson: "Our second period we just got outworked. That's all we've been talking about this year. I don't know have an answer for you. I don't know what to say. I really don't."

MB

Here’s an answer: work harder:6280:

Guyyyyyyy Carbonneau

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/game-day-notebook-guy-carbonneau-wonders-whats-going-on-with-habs

While Ducharme has remained calm and cool when dealing with the media, Carbonneau said he doesn’t know any coach who doesn’t sometimes snap in the room.

“When you see him doing his interviews after the game, he’s doing what he has to do,” Carbonneau told Nilan on his Off the Cuff radio show. “He’s protecting his players — maybe too much — but that’s part of the job. You don’t want to put those guys against you because you know if you do and you rub somebody the wrong way you’re losing your job. That’s the reality of it. So I don’t think he wants to lose his job. That’s his first time (coaching in the NHL) … if it was a guy like Barry Trotz that had the experience or Joel Quenneville that had the experience — that’s been there, done that — and can tell to FU somebody he would do it. But he’s not there. I’m sure that once in a while between periods he snaps.

“Does he get up in the room and say something and as soon as he gets out nobody gives a crap? I don’t know,” Carbonneau added. “We’re not in the room. But there’s definitely something that’s happening with this team that makes it really hard to understand and I don’t know what’s the solution. The easy one is to fire the coach, to fire the GM. I understand with the salary cap now, with the injuries that the Canadiens have, making trades is hard. But something has to happen or else … it’s just going down and down and it’s not fun.”

Carbonneau said the Canadiens also have to decide what the future is for GM Marc Bergevin, who is in the final year of his contract.

“If you’re going to rebuild or reset or try to make this team a championship team, you’re going to have to make some changes,” Carbonneau said. “Who’s going to make those changes? Who’s going to be allowed to make those changes? If he’s not going to be here next year, I don’t think he’s the right guy to make those changes.”

It's bizarre DD is still around. I don't even know how much of this mess is his fault, but when a team looks this disorganized a quarter way through the season, few teams wouldn't at least try a coaching change.  The worst part of all this losing streak is the apparent apathy / lack of a plan from the team, which is presumably at least in part from a lame-duck and possibly burnt-out GM.  And the responsibility for that lies with the president, who needs to get the vision for this season and management situation sorted out now (at least on an interim basis).

I suspect many within the team will use Price's absence as an excuse for this season and to let themselves off the hook, but at the end of the day, this isn't a team that is a strong goaltender away from being good.  Price may help, but he's not going to go out and score a 2nd goal against the Sabres ... Price is good, he doesn't get a shutout every night.

15 minutes ago, Graeme-1 said:

It's bizarre DD is still around. I don't even know how much of this mess is his fault, but when a team looks this disorganized a quarter way through the season, few teams wouldn't at least try a coaching change.  The worst part of all this losing streak is the apparent apathy / lack of a plan from the team, which is presumably at least in part from a lame-duck and possibly burnt-out GM.  And the responsibility for that lies with the president, who needs to get the vision for this season and management situation sorted out now (at least on an interim basis).

I suspect many within the team will use Price's absence as an excuse for this season and to let themselves off the hook, but at the end of the day, this isn't a team that is a strong goaltender away from being good.  Price may help, but he's not going to go out and score a 2nd goal against the Sabres ... Price is good, he doesn't get a shutout every night.

True. I guess it's hard to know how much is DD's fault... But, we need to get a new GM in to evaluate that. I don't care if DD coaches out the remainder of this season, but Bergevin should be fired and we should look at hiring his replacement. Someone to come in and evaluate the team for the next 60 games. Someone who can maybe start making some changes in 40-ish games from now.

Since 1993 each year seems to be a rebuilding year. Wow, almost 30 years and how many players have come and gone?  When was the last 50 goal scorer here as well. All these draft picks and where are they all now?  Once the most prominent franchise in pro hockey, look at it now. Apathy comes to mind and there sure does not look any light at the end of the tunnel, except for the train wreck that went through. It starts at the top, and it looks like the view there says it is a beautiful rose coloured sky.

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I'm Bergevin's last friend but all I want for Christmas is to sell, sell, sell! I know the situation with the french, I think MB has done a lot of good, but I don't care. If MB won't sell, find me someone who will at least do that

I wouldn't call him a friend but i'm certainly not an enemy. I'm sure the guy thinks he's making all the right moves at the time he makes them. It would simply be a business decision to let him go, because the hole at the bottom of the boat has become too big to patch, and he's the wrong boat captain to hire the guys to make the repairs. At this point i'm not really sure i'd be comfortable having him trade off players for assets, because it's become evident i'm sure, that he's a lame duck GM. Other teams would no doubt try to capitalize on that.

34 minutes ago, Bigbyrd said:

Since 1993 each year seems to be a rebuilding year. Wow, almost 30 years and how many players have come and gone?  When was the last 50 goal scorer here as well. All these draft picks and where are they all now?  Once the most prominent franchise in pro hockey, look at it now. Apathy comes to mind and there sure does not look any light at the end of the tunnel, except for the train wreck that went through. It starts at the top, and it looks like the view there says it is a beautiful rose coloured sky.

Every day that goes by with inaction by this owner is a slap in the face to the fans that support the team. For the life of me i can't understand what the holdup is.

BTW,,, welcome to the forum.

Once upon a time there was a great franchise in the NHL known as the Montreal Canadiens. They were feared when they stepped on the ice and as a result they became the most revered franchise in the history of the NHL. Over time the other franchises continued to gow and strengthen to the point that the Montreal franchise was not the most feared but could still hold their head up with the best. Today they cannot even hold their head up as they are mired in disgrace and embarassment.They have no leadership to provide the way out of this disaster as they have seemed to be hiding in some cave in the Laurentians.

Last year after 22 games we were 10-6-6-OTL for 26 pts. Julien was fired on Feb 23rd as management felt he was no longer effective as a head coach. Following Julien's firing the Habs went 15-16-7-OTL for 37 pts in 38 games under Ducharme. (How effective was the firing?) One month after they replaced Julien with DD I posted that DD was way in over his head and was not the coach needed in Montreal. Let's face it there is no way in hell Montreal deserevd to be in the playoffs last year. Their appearance was unlike the "Miracle on 34th Street". They were all but eliminated after four games against the Leafs. That was when the miracle kicked in. They came back and won three straight. That momentum carried them into a four game sweep of the Jets and then on to remove the Knights 4-2. Was it the coaching that got them there? Absolutely not!  Bergevin awarded Ducharme with a three year contract for what he felt was a wonderful coaching job during the season/playoffs. The reason they performed in the playoffs was because they busted their ass every time they stepped on the ice and Carey stood on his head. The more they won the better they played and showed tenacity, desire and great team work by not forcing the play on the ice, keeping it simple and having a great deal of fun doing it. They actually built up the feeling that this just might be possible. They deserved every accolade they received during that run because they ignored the hype of them not belonging in the playoffs and with the sweet taste of winning turned up the intensity and knocked off three very good teams. They finally hit the wall against TB who are a great franchise with an excellent coach and a GM that put this team together with winning being a priority.( what a concept eh?):rolleyes:

Here we are in a new season and the Habs are totally lost. Coaching has no system in place to change course and the owner is still hiding in the basement of the brewery. What a shame! The team's leaders, Petry, Anderson,Toffoli, Gallagher are dressing every night but they are not there. The young kids (Caufield) are lost and are not receiving any assistance from the leaders on the team or the coaching. Ducharme's coaching method is as boring as his interviews. He has admitted that he has no answer for what is going on. Firing him now will result in the franchise paying three coaches! There needs to be a change so why not fire him and move Richardson up for now to aoid making another bad decision. This french speaking coach BS has to stop. Someone please tell me the name of the last great french speaking coach we had? :blush: This team is not as bad as they are showing right now. Are they a playoff contender hell no but they are not a last place team either. The sport's writers are running out of reasons this team is as bad as it is. They keep saying that the Canucks need to make some changes! What about us?

Tonight will be yeat another disaster and poor Allen will once again feel like he is alone on the ice I am sure. In the 74 years that I have been a fan of this team I have gone through some rough seasons but nothing like this!  :6351:

1 hour ago, richard464 said:

Once upon a time there was a great franchise in the NHL known as the Montreal Canadiens. They were feared when they stepped on the ice and as a result they became the most revered franchise in the history of the NHL. Over time the other franchises continued to grow and strengthen to the point that the Montreal franchise was not the most feared but could still hold their head up with the best. Today they cannot even hold their head up as they are mired in disgrace and embarassment.They have no leadership to provide the way out of this disaster as they have seemed to be hiding in some cave in the Laurentians.

Last year after 22 games we were 10-6-6-OTL for 26 pts. Julien was fired on Feb 23rd as management felt he was no longer effective as a head coach. Following Julien's firing the Habs went 15-16-7-OTL for 37 pts in 38 games under Ducharme. (How effective was the firing?) One month after they replaced Julien with DD I posted that DD was way in over his head and was not the coach needed in Montreal. Let's face it there is no way in hell Montreal deserevd to be in the playoffs last year. Their appearance was unlike the "Miracle on 34th Street". They were all but eliminated after four games against the Leafs. That was when the miracle kicked in. They came back and won three straight. That momentum carried them into a four game sweep of the Jets and then on to remove the Knights 4-2. Was it the coaching that got them there? Absolutely not!  Bergevin awarded Ducharme with a three year contract for what he felt was a wonderful coaching job during the season/playoffs. The reason they performed in the playoffs was because they busted their ass every time they stepped on the ice and Carey stood on his head. The more they won the better they played and showed tenacity, desire and great team work by not forcing the play on the ice, keeping it simple and having a great deal of fun doing it. They actually built up the feeling that this just might be possible. They deserved every accolade they received during that run because they ignored the hype of them not belonging in the playoffs and with the sweet taste of winning turned up the intensity and knocked off three very good teams. They finally hit the wall against TB who are a great franchise with an excellent coach and a GM that put this team together with winning being a priority.( what a concept eh?):rolleyes:

Here we are in a new season and the Habs are totally lost. Coaching has no system in place to change course and the owner is still hiding in the basement of the brewery. What a shame! The team's leaders, Petry, Anderson,Toffoli, Gallagher are dressing every night but they are not there. The young kids (Caufield) are lost and are not receiving any assistance from the leaders on the team or the coaching. Ducharme's coaching method is as boring as his interviews. He has admitted that he has no answer for what is going on. Firing him now will result in the franchise paying three coaches! There needs to be a change so why not fire him and move Richardson up for now to aoid making another bad decision. This french speaking coach BS has to stop. Someone please tell me the name of the last great french speaking coach we had? :blush: This team is not as bad as they are showing right now. Are they a playoff contender hell no but they are not a last place team either. The sport's writers are running out of reasons this team is as bad as it is. They keep saying that the Canucks need to make some changes! What about us?

Tonight will be yet another disaster and poor Allen will once again feel like he is alone on the ice, I am sure. In the 74 years that I have been a fan of this team, I have gone through some rough seasons but nothing like this!  :6351:

Good read, richard464. Nice to see, that you have been a diehard Hab fan for all those years. (We all feel your pain.) I agree with your synopsis. I too believe,  that the Habs went as far as they did, despite DD & bergebin. This team has been on a downward trajectory,  since bergebin took over. The facts are telling!  We need some direction,  now!  Even if it means selling off players that are not in the long term future. But we have to get rid of bergebin! First!

• H_T_L locked this topic