The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

For those wanting the Habs to tank and get a shot a Shane Wright  

IT’S NEVER TOO EARLY TO TANK

With Ottawa and Montreal among the bottom-three in the standings, it’s never too early to start thinking about the draft, where consensus top prospect Shane Wright awaits the lucky loser. But according to Sportsnet’s draft expert Sam Cosentino, this all-or-nothing approach might not necessarily turn a franchise around.

“He’s not McDavid-like,” Cosentino said of Wright, who received exceptional status to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old, but has started out somewhat slowly this season. “There’s way more uncertainty surrounding this draft class. Honestly, if I’m tanking, I’m tanking for next year, where there could be three guys (Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov and Dalibor Dvorsky) who can change the fortune of your team.”

lol..Montreal can't even lose in the right year 

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Time to bring in Roy and Babcock. Roy can handle the press. 

Roy would be interesting, never a dull moment and if there’s anyone that has the nuts to stand up to Premier Legault and say screw you on not enough francophones in the lineup, it would be Patrick and it would be accepted as a merit decision that they’re not good enough. Roy has the advantage of being very familiar with the QMJHL players for the last 3 years but and should be a good evaluator of talent. It’s just his patience that is a concern 

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

With Ottawa and Montreal among the bottom-three in the standings, it’s never too early to start thinking about the draft, where consensus top prospect Shane Wright awaits the lucky loser. But according to Sportsnet’s draft expert Sam Cosentino, this all-or-nothing approach might not necessarily turn a franchise around.

“He’s not McDavid-like,” Cosentino said of Wright, who received exceptional status to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old, but has started out somewhat slowly this season. “There’s way more uncertainty surrounding this draft class. Honestly, if I’m tanking, I’m tanking for next year, where there could be three guys (Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov and Dalibor Dvorsky) who can change the fortune of your team.”

or the tanking is right on time cause I understand this is also a good draft year and I don't see how we'll be very good next year either but that's only that case if we make the selling moves we have to make

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I’m not sure Wright is generational but he does project to be a very solid centre with some size that will put 25 goals and 80+ points which is tons better than anything we have had in recent past. If we are in the top 5 picks, we should still get a very solid player. If it’s not a centre and we know of a fin that didn’t turn out so well, Rw Joakim Kemell is lighting it up in the top Finnish league. I’m watching the draft prospects and the Xmas world tournament of un drafted players closely for someone who can rise up. 

Just because we’re not getting what we want now ——fire the coach , fire the GM etc I’m sure things are happening in the background that no one is aware of .   Even everyone’s favorite GM didn’t know about the Gorton thing . 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don;t know much about Gorton but I know he ran a successful rebuild and is clearly willing to go that route. It surprises me though because even if we hire a french gm people are not going to like this

I guess the thought process is this GM and the GM (new or MB) can handle the pressure and politics while Gorton figures out the hockey crap

A look at the bottom of the overall NHL standings this evening! (one week later)

26.  Chicago         21       7      12    2     16

27.   Seattle          21       7      13    1     15

28. Vancouver      22      6       14    2     14

29.  Montreal       23      6     15     2      14

30.  N.Y.I.             17       5     10     2      12

31.   Arizona         21       4     15     2      10

32.    Ottawa        19       4     14     1        9

Seattle jumps past the Habs. Habs catch Canucks. Islanders drop behind Habs, with 6 games in hand.  Habs now 10 points out of a wild card spot. Bruins have 5 games in hand.  Flyers have 3.  4 point game tonight, with the Canucks!

Fight for the Wright!

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price skated without pads Monday, returning to the ice for what's believed to be the first time in two weeks. A date for his return to full practice and then game action remains undetermined.

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

Probably not this year unless he is able to return to a streak of solid form including possibly the Olympic team performance before the trade deadline of March 21. Otherwise we are selling him at a low value to escape salary and may not fetch much in return. The honourable thing to do is to provide trading opportunities to Carey based on his service to the organization and provide him the ability to play for a winner in his twilight years vs. gutting it out on a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

After giving up 42 shots last night, the habs have given up 26, 33, 41, 34, 43, 36, 34, 39, 50 and 42 in the last 10, playing against at least couple of really bad teams.  No points for guessing which games they won.  Not only are they not scoring, they can't seem to limit the other teams' chances either.

The turnovers, the lack of offensive possessions are just brutal and when we don't have the puck, looks like we are just pylons in our D-Zone and can't recover the puck to prevent the shots on goal. We are not feared in breakouts, our penalty kill is a disaster, hence the shots on goal and the recipe for losses. You are bang on!

51 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

While watching the game last night the camera was focused on Luke R . I  think it was Garry Galley who said something to the effect that Luke Richardson has done a wonderful job with the defence .  

Ya, that raised my eyebrows. 

• H_T_L locked this topic