The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Also, to follow-up on the Shea Weber rumors.

I am a hard "no" on Weber becoming a coach. I am definitely for him having a role in the organization though. I mean, he could scout for the team. I'm sure there are a lot of things he could do that aren't coaching.

I could see possible conflicts as a coach for the Habs and the current roster, but that doesn't preclude him for the job down the road. Why not working with our younger guys in Laval? That would be the place that makes the most sense to me to break him in and see what he has to offer as a coach.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I could see possible conflicts as a coach for the Habs and the current roster, but that doesn't preclude him for the job down the road. Why not working with our younger guys in Laval? That would be the place that makes the most sense to me to break him in and see what he has to offer as a coach.

Oh yeah, that would be fine. I should have clarified I don't want him coaching at the NHL level. He has no coaching experience, so we can't just drop him there to begin with. Some sort of coaching role in Laval could be okay.

20 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Oh yeah, that would be fine. I should have clarified I don't want him coaching at the NHL level. He has no coaching experience, so we can't just drop him there to begin with. Some sort of coaching role in Laval could be okay.

I agree and the players there would for sure respect him and listen to his advice! it could be a good fit. he would need several seasons of coaching before I would bring him up to the NHL as much for him not being a flop as much as we need good coaches in the NHL not retreads and projects! This in the Habs we used to be the best now e keep just getting by I think we need to shoot for excellence at every level!

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I can't see any way Weber could teach prospects how to rush the puck on offence. Teaching our pylons is a different story.

18 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Also, to follow-up on the Shea Weber rumors.

I am a hard "no" on Weber becoming a coach. I am definitely for him having a role in the organization though. I mean, he could scout for the team. I'm sure there are a lot of things he could do that aren't coaching.

I say, just cut the cord. New coaches = new vision = new direction---------->Upwards! Just a matter of time, before they clean up behind the bench.  And how is that new coach doing in Laval?  Team looks like from first to worst, to me.  Bouchard is the coach that probably should have been promoted last year.  Now, we'll never know.

A look at the bottom of the overall NHL standings Dec. 03/2021.

26.  Chicago         22       8      12    2      18

27.   Seattle          23       8      13    2      18

28. Vancouver      24      8       14    2      18

29.  Montreal       25      6       17    2      14

30.  N.Y.I.             18       5     10     3      13

31.   Arizona         23       5     16     2      12

32.    Ottawa        21       5     15     1       11

Seattle & Canucks pulling away. Islanders with 7 games in hand.  Habs now 11 points out of a wild card spot. Bruins have 5 games in hand.

Fight for the Wright!

The Canadiens have recalled forward Laurent Dauphin from the AHL's Laval Rocket. Good call up.  I hope they put him in a position to succeed. He's been probably the most consistent Rocket on Laval. Leads the Rocket in scoring, with 11 goals & 5 assists for 16 points in 18 games. Position  =  Center

10 minutes ago, electron58 said:

A look at the bottom of the overall NHL standings Dec. 03/2021.

26.  Chicago         22       8      12    2      18

27.   Seattle          23       8      13    2      18

28. Vancouver      24      8       14    2      18

29.  Montreal       25      6       17    2      14

30.  N.Y.I.             18       5     10     3      13

31.   Arizona         23       5     16     2      12

32.    Ottawa        21       5     15     1       11

Seattle & Canucks pulling away. Islanders with 7 games in hand.  Habs now 11 points out of a wild card spot. Bruins have 5 games in hand.

Fight for the Wright!

Pretty sure the Isles will overtake us easily with their games in hand and even the Sens still could. Now with Romanov and Anderson out, we're certainly trending towards the absolute bottom of the standings. Depending on injuries, it may well be a dog fight between Montreal and Arizona for the best lottery odds.

17 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Pretty sure the Isles will overtake us easily with their games in hand and even the Sens still could. Now with Romanov and Anderson out, we're certainly trending towards the absolute bottom of the standings. Depending on injuries, it may well be a dog fight between Montreal and Arizona for the best lottery odds.

Man it's crazy how this season is crashing & burning.  Even though we were trending that way, I would never have predicted, that we would be this bad. A few years ago, we were trending in the same way, but this?  This is soooo bad. Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Jeff Gorton at any of the Habs games, yet?  Just wondering, if he's here already.

43 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Man it's crazy how this season is crashing & burning.  Even though we were trending that way, I would never have predicted, that we would be this bad. A few years ago, we were trending in the same way, but this?  This is soooo bad. Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen Jeff Gorton at any of the Habs games, yet?  Just wondering, if he's here already.

Absolutely, I think everyone knew that the roster had huge holes and – as well as the boys played last summer – that we wouldn't be competing for the Cup this season with all the players lost during the offseason. I expected this to be just another year of maybe sneaking into the playoffs and possibly doing some damage in the first round(s), that's it. But this? I didn't see this coming.

As for Gorton, I just read on on HIO that he apparently was at the Bell centre last night:

Jeff Gorton, the man who has been charged with turning the Canadiens around, had his first live look at his new team and had one reason to be smiling.

The loss dropped the Canadiens’ record to 6-17-2 and they have the third-worst winning percentage in the NHL. Every loss increases Montreal’s chances of getting a high pick in the NHL draft lottery.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/in-the-habs-room-its-tough-to-get-booed-nick-suzuki-admits

Watching the game vs Colorado last night and have to say some of the fans at the Bell center are completely clueless.  Booing the habs, throwing jerseys on the ice what a joke some of these fans are.  It's apparent they are bad this year, a rebuild is coming and badly needed so at this point we should be happy every time they lose we need as high of picks as possible.  We don't need to finish mediocre yet again get some mid tier first round pick. 

Yes we have an illustrious history but it's not like we will ge great every year and it's not like every team doesn't have to do a reset and rebuild to be a winner.  MTL fans are the worst!!

2 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

Watching the game vs Colorado last night and have to say some of the fans at the Bell center are completely clueless.  Booing the habs, throwing jerseys on the ice what a joke some of these fans are.  It's apparent they are bad this year, a rebuild is coming and badly needed so at this point we should be happy every time they lose we need as high of picks as possible.  We don't need to finish mediocre yet again get some mid tier first round pick. 

Yeah, the tossing of the jersey on the ice, IMO, sort of exemplifies where the team is at. Unable to ever fully rebuild because fans moan and complain so much when the team is bad. Thus, it feels like we're always mediocre to appease the sulky 25-year old demographic or something.

We need to rebuild. It's gonna be littered with terrible performances. The fans have to accept this. You don't need to boo, you don't need to toss stuff on the ice. Just cheer for the young players and accept that they will be losing a lot for the next couple of years.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, the tossing of the jersey on the ice, IMO, sort of exemplifies where the team is at. Unable to ever fully rebuild because fans moan and complain so much when the team is bad. Thus, it feels like we're always mediocre to appease the sulky 25-year old demographic or something.

We need to rebuild. It's gonna be littered with terrible performances. The fans have to accept this. You don't need to boo, you don't need to toss stuff on the ice. Just cheer for the young players and accept that they will be losing a lot for the next couple of years.

I agree 100% at this point I don't see anyone as untouchable to a point! if we were to let go of a Suzuki or a CC it would have to be for something amazing in return! it looks like we will have a legitimate chance at the #1 pick this year and with some good moves we could have a couple of picks in the first round that could lead to impactful players fairly quickly if we were to suck next year as well this could be the begining of a really good core of talent that could move us into a solid position in the next 2-4 years depending on how much we sell! Those who can't wait a year or two to see some results are probably not long term fans anyways!

Well Mr Rookie Of the Year ( CC )  has t shown anything that would deem getting something amazing back for him.   Lol

Gorton press conference today , he wants to build an analytics department . He believes in it .  So the Montreal Canadiens are going to stop living in the past 

33 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Well Mr Rookie Of the Year ( CC )  has t shown anything that would deem getting something amazing back for him.   Lol

Gorton press conference today , he wants to build an analytics department . He believes in it .  So the Montreal Canadiens are going to stop living in the past 

Great that worked out great in Phoenix!

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Hey I am not into that stuff in general but I think it has a place for sure! as much info as you can get has got to be a good thing! as long as it does not become the be all end all I am for it.

Yup, definitely the right move. Glad to see we‘re finally doing what others have been doing for years instead of living under a rock and building the team around a goalie, hoping for the best. 

Gorton said he plans to implement an analytics department: “We need to build that out better. We need to modernize it. I believe in it.”

"The team had a tough start, I recognize that and Geoff (Molson) and I went through that. Things need to happen. My teams are fast and skilled. We need to work on player development. We need to add analytics." - Jeff Gorton

Gorton‘s timeline for priorities:

1. GM — after Christmas

2. Head scout — TBD

Is the head coach safe until the end of the season: “Yes.”

9 hours ago, ChiLla said:

On paper, it seems that Montreal should be better as much as we may hope for a complete tank. There are some big IF's for us to finish 2nd last - Price not returning to form, Edmundson not improving the defense, further injuries, schedule difficulty and travel., trade selloffs e.g. Chiarot, Lehks etc. I have looked at the preliminary draft rankings and although the consensus at this point is Shane Wright (Who I would still love to have), he doesn't appear to be generational so if we miss on the lottery it's not a massive miss, and there's still good quality players in the top 5. Joakim Kemell is on the verge of breaking Laine, Barkov equivalent scoring records. Conor Geekie - big strapping centre (not on Canada junior team but a young forward) etc. 

I would rather see us get multiple first round picks or prospects via trade to improve our odds of a talent movement,  and not hang all our hopes on #1 overall saviour. What we need are strong signs of development progress. Joshua Roy, Jordan Harris, Guhle are prime examples that we need to see a future with.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree 100% at this point I don't see anyone as untouchable to a point! if we were to let go of a Suzuki or a CC it would have to be for something amazing in return! it looks like we will have a legitimate chance at the #1 pick this year and with some good moves we could have a couple of picks in the first round that could lead to impactful players fairly quickly if we were to suck next year as well this could be the begining of a really good core of talent that could move us into a solid position in the next 2-4 years depending on how much we sell! Those who can't wait a year or two to see some results are probably not long term fans anyways!

Suzuki is the only one who is untouchable for me. Cole hasn't shown enough in his young career for me to consider him untouchable. I hope he turns into a 25+ goal scorer in this league, but nothing is guaranteed.

I'm not actively trying to deal away the whole team, but there are players here who we could get value from in a trade before the deadline.

Ben Chiarot (first rounder)
Brett Kulak (mid rounder..?)
Jonathan Drouin (no idea, but I'm sure we could get something)
Arturri Lehkonen (mid rounder)

6 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Gorton said he plans to implement an analytics department: “We need to build that out better. We need to modernize it. I believe in it.”

"The team had a tough start, I recognize that and Geoff (Molson) and I went through that. Things need to happen. My teams are fast and skilled. We need to work on player development. We need to add analytics." - Jeff Gorton

Gorton‘s timeline for priorities:

1. GM — after Christmas

2. Head scout — TBD

Is the head coach safe until the end of the season: “Yes.”

I thought it was a good presser by Gorton - after 3 days on the job, we can't expect him to say much more including malign the coach - He's in a market where everyone will point fingers especially at Ducharme. Gorton realizes the enormity of the task and how much he has to fix. 

• H_T_L locked this topic