The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://torontosun.com/sports/simmons-says-maple-leafs-cup-window

It’s not dissimilar from what Jeff Gorton left behind with the New York Rangers when he was strangely shown the door last May. Gorton had a most remarkable 62 days in 2019: Stealing Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox from Carolina at the end of April, signing goalie Igor Shesterkin out of Russia in the first days of May and nabbing Artemi Panarin in free agency on July 1. That’s three franchise-changing players. And all that came after he had already traded for Mika Zibanejad. If he can do anything like that in Montreal, anything close, they’ll be celebrating his hiring for years

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

a lot of that was simply a matter of being New York, he wouldn't have got those players if he were here

No doubt Fox and Panarin both wanted New York. That said, I don't think Montreal is Arizona or Buffalo, where there isn't much impetus to go there. Some players will avoid Montreal like the plague because of the media attention, the taxes, the weather, or the language. But others may see us as a top-choice destination because of the history, fan support, etc. And ultimately I think if you can build a winning culture where players like the GM and coach, you can attract free agents and retain the ones you drafted. Suzuki signed here long-term. So did Gallagher. So did Petry. So did Price. None of those guys grew up here or had any particular attachment to this city before coming here. So I still believe a good GM could use some of this to his advantage.

In a return to practice Sunday after pausing team activities, the Montreal Canadiens welcomed back nine players who were previously in the NHL's COVID-19 protocol: Tyler Toffoli, Jake Allen, Arturri Lehkonen, Laurent Dauphin, Mike Hoffman, Ben Chiarot, David Savard, Chris Wideman and Samuel Montembault.  All players except for Tyler Toffoli participated in regular team practice. Toffoli skated alone after the main session as he continues to recover from hand surgery.  Jeff Petry, who was also on the protocol list, is in the United States and will join the team on Monday to participate in practice Tuesday.  Goaltender Cayden Primeau & defenseman Jean-Sébastien Dea will join the team ahead of Montreal's game against the Boston Bruins Wednesday.  

10 minutes ago, electron58 said:

In a return to practice Sunday after pausing team activities, the Montreal Canadiens welcomed back nine players who were previously in the NHL's COVID-19 protocol: Tyler Toffoli, Jake Allen, Arturri Lehkonen, Laurent Dauphin, Mike Hoffman, Ben Chiarot, David Savard, Chris Wideman and Samuel Montembault.  All players except for Tyler Toffoli participated in regular team practice. Toffoli skated alone after the main session as he continues to recover from hand surgery.  Jeff Petry, who was also on the protocol list, is in the United States and will join the team on Monday to participate in practice Tuesday.  Goaltender Cayden Primeau & defenseman Jean-Sébastien Dea will join the team ahead of Montreal's game against the Boston Bruins Wednesday.  

Thanks for the info, it's hard to keep track of who's on first.  :)

The Montreal Canadiens have sent Jean-Sébastien Dea back to the Laval Rocket. With news that Joel Armia, Christian Dvorak, and Mike Hoffman have the green light to return to game action, Dea was no longer required at the NHL level.

On 1/9/2022 at 3:08 PM, habsisme said:

a lot of that was simply a matter of being New York, he wouldn't have got those players if he were here

true, not those players but around the league there are guys who would love to play for their favourite team growing up.  Tavares took less money to go to TO.  Crosby was a huge habs fan growing up, as were many other players.   Kovalev and many European players have said they love playing in Quebec because it reminds them of home. 

There are angles to be explored. Im not saying you could have pried Crosby out of Pittsburgh just because he was a montreal fan but a smart GM (or President) looks at all of these angles.   

Fans (and some players) complain about Taxes but the taxes in SJ, LA and Ana are pretty much on par with Toronto and Montreal - and as one players agent recently said: every agent knows how to help players get massive tax breaks. They arent paying anywhere close to what the posted rate is. 

Anyway, im excited to see what Gorton  can do. I think, unlikely MB he's a 'big picture guy' - that is something we've sorely been missing. 

Jeff Petry returns to the Habs but his wife and kids stay back home in Michigan . 

Apparently they are doing what's best for the family's health and well being so the kids can live a more "normal "  life - 

Has Jeff asked for a trade ?

And is CP next ?

4 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Jeff Petry returns to the Habs but his wife and kids stay back home in Michigan . 

Apparently they are doing what's best for the family's health and well being so the kids can live a more "normal "  life - 

Has Jeff asked for a trade ?

And is CP next ?

Hopefully no and no!

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

I mean Michigan and Quebec have about hte same population & very similar case numbers - although Quebec is at 80% vac rate & Michigan is under 60%...  not sure its best for "their health" but whatever. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I mean Michigan and Quebec have about hte same population & very similar case numbers - although Quebec is at 80% vac rate & Michigan is under 60%...  not sure its best for "their health" but whatever. 

lol....the french version was on Facebook , which then referred to the wife's instagram post . It sounds like , to me , Quebec / Canada has all these restrictions whereas the USA does not . Staying back there , closer to their family , with less mandates , life is more " semi normal "

9 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

lol....the french version was on Facebook , which then referred to the wife's instagram post . It sounds like , to me , Quebec / Canada has all these restrictions whereas the USA does not . Staying back there , closer to their family , with less mandates , life is more " semi normal "

yeah I'm for all the measures, I guess they aren't. But to be fair, there are a lot of other places that didn't shut down, Canada and Quebec are ouliers. Time will tell how many lives were saved or if it was unneccessary 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Yeah i understand if she says 'more normal' but if the actual words Julie said were "the family's health" i would question whether Michigan is the right choice. lol.  Ultimately its completely up to them of course, i just found the language funny although i acknowledge i didnt see an actual "direct" quote. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

yeah I'm for all the measures, I guess they aren't. But to be fair, there are a lot of other places that didn't shut down, Canada and Quebec are ouliers. Time will tell how many lives were saved or if it was unneccessary 

For sure. its a learning curve for all of us all over the world.  Id still err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to having contact to the over 70 year olds in my family. 

Tuesday, January 11  Practice

LW              C                RW
Hoffman     Suzuki        Lehkonen
Drouin         Dvorak        Armia
Dauphin      Poehling    Caufield
Paquette    Vejdemo     Pezzetta
73 - Tyler Toffoli (No contact)                                              17 - Josh Anderson (No contact)
LD                    RD                      G
Chiarot         Savard       Jake Allen                                 Kulak              Petry     Montembeault
Niku             Wideman     
Corey Schueneman     

Habs claim Rem Pitlick off waivers from the Wild.

Interesting move. 

Not a bad middle six player already, but unlike a lot of these types of guys we've gotten in the past, he's young (24) and has room to improve. 8 points in his last AHL stint (8 games) and has 6g and 11pts in 20 games in the NHL this year.   

He's RFA this summer.

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting move. 

Not a bad middle six player already, but unlike a lot of these types of guys we've gotten in the past, he's young (24) and has room to improve. 8 points in his last AHL stint (8 games) and has 6g and 11pts in 20 games in the NHL this year.   

He's RFA this summer.

5-foot-11, 196-pound centre

25 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting move. 

He's RFA this summer.

don't know the player but given his stats I'm surprised he was waived, sounds like a good pick up to me

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interesting move. 

He's RFA this summer.

3rd round 76 overall - looks like he has not had much room to develop - went the USA college route. The Wild don't have much depth at Centre after, Hartman who has increased his level this year, and Eriksson.  I suspect the Wild are probably trying to shed some cap for a stronger move plus the Wild don't have much cap room to give him any increase. The Wild are in cap hell next year. I see this as more of a Guerin Blunder for trying to go all in for this year. 

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

This looks like another good Gorton move. at the very least it is interesting!

For sure.  Even if all he is is a replacement for player ____ it cost us nothing & allows us to trade that other player for an asset. 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

Interesting move. 

He's RFA this summer.

Rhett Pitlick's older brother.

Bottom 5, after Arizona's 2-1 win over the Laffs. I think the Laffs lost intentionally.

28.  Buffalo           35     10      19     6      26

29.   Seattle          35     10     21      4      24

30.    Ottawa         29       9     18     2       20

31.   Arizona         34       8     23      3       19

32.  Montreal       35       7     24      4       18

As you can see, only the bottom 2 teams switched places. The Habs have officially hit rock bottom!

23 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Bottom 5, after Arizona's 2-1 win over the Laffs. I think the Laffs lost intentionally.

28.  Buffalo           35     10      19     6      26

29.   Seattle          35     10     21      4      24

30.    Ottawa         29       9     18     2       20

31.   Arizona         34       8     23      3       19

32.  Montreal       35       7     24      4       18

As you can see, only the bottom 2 teams switched places. The Habs have officially hit rock bottom!

I don't think they needed to LOL, I turned the game on it was 0-0 five minutes later when I turned the game off it was 3-0. 

All that aside, today is a happy day for all Habs fans no matter how you hope our season ends. Those who wish to finish at the bottom of the standings, we have arrived. For those who want wins first and foremost and a strong finish to the season, we can only go up from here. So alas today is a day all Habs fans should celebrate LOL.

• H_T_L locked this topic