Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I've been paying more attention to the GM search this year and more or less ignoring what's going on on the ice beyond checking the scores in the morning and saying "guess we lost again".  I knew we were at the bottom of the league, but today's the first time I've actually looked closely at the standings.

Right now we're at a .257 points percentage - when we're spending to the cap in a league with ties!!!  That is just.... horrifically bad.  I looked back in the last ten years, and the only team that's even come close to that record over a full season is Detroit two years ago with .275.  In half the years the league's worst team was around .400. To put this in perspective, even last year's so-bad-they-were-the-butt-of-every-joke Buffalo team would have 5 more points at this stage of the season.

I mean I don't really have anything important or insightful to say here.... just... yeesh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Manatee-X said:

So I've been paying more attention to the GM search this year and more or less ignoring what's going on on the ice beyond checking the scores in the morning and saying "guess we lost again".  I knew we were at the bottom of the league, but today's the first time I've actually looked closely at the standings.

Right now we're at a .257 points percentage - when we're spending to the cap in a league with ties!!!  That is just.... horrifically bad.  I looked back in the last ten years, and the only team that's even come close to that record over a full season is Detroit two years ago with .275.  In half the years the league's worst team was around .400. To put this in perspective, even last year's so-bad-they-were-the-butt-of-every-joke Buffalo team would have 5 more points at this stage of the season.

I mean I don't really have anything important or insightful to say here.... just... yeesh...

IMHo the season was essentially lost in that first 15 games or so.  I think had we come out and played even .500 hockey things would have gone differently but it was just one bad thing after another and once we had that putrid start in the books, even a minor setback would be 'it' but we had something like $60m on the IR or in Covid protocol at one point!!  lol.

Im really curious to see how we start next season. Obviously right now who knows what will happen - will we still have Price? Petry? Toff? Gallagher?  Will we have someone like Shane Wright on our roster?  Will we have some young hot prospects we acquired for Vets like Chiarot and Lehks?  Who knows.  No one can say but i think we will be considerably better than we were to start this year regardless of the moves.   This was historically bad luck - first with bad percentages, then too many injuries on a roster that was already paper thin in areas. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, maas_art said:

IMHo the season was essentially lost in that first 15 games or so.  I think had we come out and played even .500 hockey things would have gone differently but it was just one bad thing after another and once we had that putrid start in the books, even a minor setback would be 'it' but we had something like $60m on the IR or in Covid protocol at one point!!  lol.

Im really curious to see how we start next season. Obviously right now who knows what will happen - will we still have Price? Petry? Toff? Gallagher?  Will we have someone like Shane Wright on our roster?  Will we have some young hot prospects we acquired for Vets like Chiarot and Lehks?  Who knows.  No one can say but i think we will be considerably better than we were to start this year regardless of the moves.   This was historically bad luck - first with bad percentages, then too many injuries on a roster that was already paper thin in areas. 

 

And DD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

De Haan fined $2,500 actions in Blackhawks game

Defenseman penalized for dangerous trip on Canadiens forward Caufield. No penalty was called. :wut2:

NEW YORK - - Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Calvin de Haan has been fined $2,500 for a dangerous trip against Montreal Canadiens forward Cole Caufield during NHL Game No. 655 in Chicago on Thursday, Jan. 13, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 6:22 of the third period.

The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/13/2022 at 12:59 AM, electron58 said:

31.Arizona        34        8      23       4       20

32.Montreal   35       7     24      5       19

Both teams pick up a loser point. 

Fight, for Wright!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Noticed today that Ducharme once again made a head scratching roster adjustment. He broke up the Lehkonen-Poehling-Caufield line. This is a head scratcher given the actual numbers this line has been producing. They make the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line look like rookies. Checkout the stats in the story below, it's just jaw dropping how good this line is.

 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.habseyesontheprize.com/platform/amp/analysis/2022/1/16/22884364/ryan-poehling-and-artturi-lehkonen-might-be-perfect-for-busting-cole-caufield-slump-analysis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the Armia interview. Wow was that uncomfortable. Felt sorry for the guy. Where as the Pitlick interview was very refreshing. Hope he does well and sticks around. 
On another note Sam Niku, I really like this guy. Hope he does not end up like a lot of the defenders who end up on another team playing great hockey. Reilly in Boston for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Montreal Canadiens have placed forward Alex Belzile on waivers on Monday.  The forward will be assigned to the Laval Rocket should he clear waivers. The 31-year-old was pointless in 11 games this season with the Canadiens. He has four goals and seven assists in 16 AHL games this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, electron58 said:

The Montreal Canadiens have placed forward Alex Belzile on waivers on Monday.  The forward will be assigned to the Laval Rocket should he clear waivers. The 31-year-old was pointless in 11 games this season with the Canadiens. He has four goals and seven assists in 16 AHL games this season.

Give him a chance to play elsewhere - at 31 he no longer fits in the youth movement

team is allowed 50 contracts and currently at 48 - can remove as a minimum for next year - Belzile, Paquette, Perreault, Chiarot trade, and I don’t see us resigning McNiven, Kulak, Wideman, ouellet , Belpedio, Schueneman, Teasdale (too injured) - have plenty of contract room and Weber probably officially retires 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

another random depressing tidbit..........

Most regulation losses by a team through their first 37 games of a season (since 1995)
28- Senators        (1995-96)
25- Canadiens    (2021-22 thanks to their 5-2 defeat against the Coyotes today)
25- Sharks           (1995-96)
25- Blue Jackets (2005-06)
25- Devils            (2010-11)
25- Red Wings     (2019-20)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, claremont said:

Give him a chance to play elsewhere - at 31 he no longer fits in the youth movement

Team is allowed 50 contracts and currently at 48 - can remove as a minimum for next year - Belzile, Paquette, Perreault, Chiarot trade, and I don’t see us resigning McNiven, Kulak, Wideman, Ouellet , Belpedio, Schueneman, Teasdale (too injured) - have plenty of contract room and Weber probably officially retires. 

Every time he gets put on waivers, Alex Belzile is getting a chance. Nobody wants him. I would hang on to Joel Teasdale (I know, always injured) & Corey Shueneman. The rest, yes, but I wouldn't give Bret Kulak away. NHL depth defenseman on a reasonable contract. Josh Brook - another player always injured. (what do you do with him?)  Habs had high hopes for this guy, but so far, not so good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, electron58 said:

The Montreal Canadiens have placed forward Alex Belzile on waivers on Monday.  The forward will be assigned to the Laval Rocket should he clear waivers. The 31-year-old was pointless in 11 games this season with the Canadiens. He has four goals and seven assists in 16 AHL games this season.

 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, claremont said:

Give him a chance to play elsewhere - at 31 he no longer fits in the youth movement

Team is allowed 50 contracts and currently at 48 - can remove as a minimum for next year - Belzile, Paquette, Perreault, Chiarot trade, and I don’t see us resigning McNiven, Kulak, Wideman, Ouellet , Belpedio, Schueneman, Teasdale (too injured) - have plenty of contract room and Weber probably officially retires 

Cleared.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...