The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

16 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

The players are paid to PLAY! I think it's ridiculous that players have any sort of requirement to talk to the media or fans at all. I would have no problem if a player was never interviewed. I'll watch them play. 

I agree entirely. It's a weird business. I feel like the players don't owe us anything. They get a contract, they play the game, they win or lose. To feel like you should get access to them through social media or regular media seems weird to me.

It's also just so bizarre to be so invested in anything that you feel obligated to harass a player's partner and criticize the message they are sending to children because you're performing badly.

17 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

The players are paid to PLAY! I think it's ridiculous that players have any sort of requirement to talk to the media or fans at all. I would have no problem if a player was never interviewed. I'll watch them play. 

Meh, they are but they also get paid to represent the team and city. You might not care about the interviews but the kids sure do. Players are tasked to try and grow the game whether they like it or not. They visit hospitals, do charity events, film commercials/radio ads etc, it's part of the job. Written in the contract or not

20 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

Meh, they are but they also get paid to represent the team and city. You might not care about the interviews but the kids sure do. Players are tasked to try and grow the game whether they like it or not. They visit hospitals, do charity events, film commercials/radio ads etc, it's part of the job. Written in the contract or not

There are a lot of athletes that do charity and other community events or services. A lot do it completely on their own without publicity. The idea they "have" to answer to fans or anyone other than the coach, GM, owner ect. is wrong IMO. Playing the sport alone is work (and I would hope fun). The way to grow the game is for the game itself to be exciting and fun to watch. 

13 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

Yep, I see it this way too. Sure, they generally are where they are because of their ability to play the game at the highest level. This applies to pro sports in general, but athletes/players are also earning obscene amounts of money because they're constantly exposed public figures, especially in this day and age. This is part of the job, and their role in society extends way beyond the hockey rink or football field. Fans and the media are part of the business, they're essentially stakeholders involved in generating revenue and keeping the machine running, refusing to pay any attention to them at all is counterproductive and wouldn't help anyone. I don't care much for player interviews and even less for random weirdos harassing players/celebrities/politicians/etc. on the internet because they get some sort of kick out of it while hiding behind their computer screens or smartphones but players need to find a way to deal with these people, it's just the way it is.

No I think the players have a responsibility to talk to the media and I'm pretty sure its in their contract as it should be

Shitty fans who respond with such stupidity and attack players personally and their families are just... imbeciles but that doesn't mean the players shouldn't care about the fans. If I stop caring about hockey or hating hockey players, I may not watch as much, buy tickets, or merchandise. The job for everyone in hockey primarily, wether they know it or not, is to get us to care about who wins and loses, the actual winning only comes second and it only matters if you've done a good job at the first thing

8 hours ago, booboo_mtl said:

Yep. If the players want to share in league revenues they better be prepared to help promote the league. 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:54 PM, campabee82 said:

And for whatever reason you think that is funny?! How insensitive of you, go watch a few of the HabsTV videos with Petry and his family and try to understand how much they mean to him and him to them. Try to imaging leaving your own family in another country to go to work and be unappreciated by people everywhere. Try to imagine what it is the like to be away from your own wife while she is being harassed by internet trolls like the ones who have been messaging Julie Petry. None of this is in any way "funny". 

The difference between Petry and Price however ... is Price's wife is referring to living in a country that takes Covid seriously vs the state she is staying in that doesn't.    the "Normal" life she is referring to is one where you're free to just walk around like there's no pandemic.

25 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The difference between Petry and Price however ... is Price's wife is referring to living in a country that takes Covid seriously vs the state she is staying in that doesn't.    the "Normal" life she is referring to is one where you're free to just walk around like there's no pandemic.

I agree, they sound a but stupid to me but I'm not going to start messaging them, and both have done so much for this team and community that I can tolerate this bit of nonsense, after all they're not the only ones to feel like that

A couple of interesting notes in The Athletic today from an interview done with Kent Hughes:

- He prefers to get young NHL-ready players than draft picks. He said that all things being equal, he would prefer to go after a guy drafted two years ago than a guy drafted last year or a new draft pick because that player is closer to being able to contribute. So might give some insight into what he's going to target in deals.

- Says he does not plan on being the Coyotes or Sabres and sell of all veterans. Says the team does need to keep players and will not just dump all veterans. They'll keep guys they think help the locker room and who can still be here to build the roster. To me, this would suggest high likelihood that the likes of Price, Edmundson, Gallagher, and Byron will be kept.

- Says he is willing to trade a contract for no or minimal return in order to free up cap space and that cap space is extremely valuable in today's NHL. So might expect that to apply to guys like Armia, Hoffman, Savard, etc. if he can find anyone willing to take on the contracts. Doesn't sound like Hughes will necessarily eat salary to retain long-term but will accept not getting assets back.

- Says he does not anticipate buying anyone out this summer.

- Says he hopes Habs will be able to add another 1st rounder in this year's draft.

- Wants to spend more money on draft department and says drafting should not just be throwing darts at a dart board, except when you get to lower rounds. Adds that he would be willing to give up later picks to move up in the draft to get his guy.

- Says in free agency, he expects Habs to add lower-tier guys but would only look at over-paying for more important UFAs if he felt team was close to contending.

So some insight into what we might expect to see...

11 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Michigan is actually one of the states that has had mask mandates ect.. Michigan isn't Florida or Texas. Is Michigan as strict as Quebec no, but not all of Canada is the same on restrictions also. Any way you look at it for whatever the reasons are. I know it's tough to be away from family. I am a US Merchant Mariner sailing on the Great Lakes. It is my choice as are professional athletes. That said I would never want any of my family members harassed because of the job I do or anyone else because of the job they do. Our job we have several restrictions some USCG and Federally mandated and some company mandated (which vary greatly by each company). 

What I do see as disappointing is no other players coming out to his defense. The way Canadiens are next year Suzuki could have a bad start and have everyone trying to run him out of town. I see no reason Petry can't have a bounce back year with Edmondson back and hopefully some other quality defenseman to help. He has had several very good seasons with Montreal. He actually isn't old by defenseman standards, and he can skate. If Price comes back 100% healthy that would be a world of difference and if he has no experienced defense in front of him that would be tough.  The last two seasons when Weber had long stretches out Petry was our #1 and did a great job.

Another factor , Forwards also matter with team defense. Danault, Byron , Tatar , all are good defensive forwards then take out Weber and Edmonson and all of our goalies. No defenseman is going to look great. Our forward group has been playing horrible defense this season. As Petry said earlier it doesn't help our coach seems to have no system or know how to make any adjustments at all.  The treatment to family or just even as soon as a player has a hard time , can anyone ever really wonder why its rare for anyone to want to play in Montreal. 

45 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

A couple of interesting notes in The Athletic today from an interview done with Kent Hughes:

- He prefers to get young NHL-ready players than draft picks. He said that all things being equal, he would prefer to go after a guy drafted two years ago than a guy drafted last year or a new draft pick because that player is closer to being able to contribute. So might give some insight into what he's going to target in deals.

- Says he does not plan on being the Coyotes or Sabres and sell of all veterans. Says the team does need to keep players and will not just dump all veterans. They'll keep guys they think help the locker room and who can still be here to build the roster. To me, this would suggest high likelihood that the likes of Price, Edmundson, Gallagher, and Byron will be kept.

- Says he is willing to trade a contract for no or minimal return in order to free up cap space and that cap space is extremely valuable in today's NHL. So might expect that to apply to guys like Armia, Hoffman, Savard, etc. if he can find anyone willing to take on the contracts. Doesn't sound like Hughes will necessarily eat salary to retain long-term but will accept not getting assets back.

- Says he hopes Habs will be able to add another 1st rounder in this year's draft.

- Wants to spend more money on draft department and says drafting should not just be throwing darts at a dart board, except when you get to lower rounds. Adds that he would be willing to give up later picks to move up in the draft to get his guy.

- Says in free agency, he expects Habs to add lower-tier guys but would only look at over-paying for more important UFAs if he felt team was close to contending.

Seems like a completely sensible approach.

I especially like him going after prospects ahead of just draft picks. Just makes sense to me. You'll know more about the player and if they will contribute at the NHL level.

Also totally fine with him receiving little compensation back to get out from under terrible contracts. Hoffman, Byron, Armia, and Savard come to mind.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

This is exactly the approach I thought would play out. So without officially saying it Hughes has chosen to retool instead of rebuild. Which in this hockey market actually makes sense. Fans don't mind seeing the team struggle and add good prospects for 1 or 2 years but when things actually start taking 3-5 years fans want the GM's head on a platter. IMO this is the right move for us, Hughes getting NHL ready players and moving out the likes of Hoffman, Armia and Savard would make our team better. Imagine we move those 3 guys for 7th round picks or something, that instantly frees up 11.4 Mil without even taking into account the players traded for value like Chiarot. 

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

This is exactly the approach I thought would play out. So without officially saying it Hughes has chosen to retool instead of rebuild. Which in this hockey market actually makes sense. Fans don't mind seeing the team struggle and add good prospects for 1 or 2 years but when things actually start taking 3-5 years fans want the GM's head on a platter. IMO this is the right move for us, Hughes getting NHL ready players and moving out the likes of Hoffman, Armia and Savard would make our team better. Imagine we move those 3 guys for 7th round picks or something, that instantly frees up 11.4 Mil without even taking into account the players traded for value like Chiarot. 

Yep works for me. happy to start getting a sense of what the basic framework is for moving forward. the teak really sucks right now but there are good players here we just have too much deadweight starting with the guy behind  the bench! add a couple of good Defencemen and a system and we would be way better! then get the forwards sorted out and we would be on our way. Playing Chiarot and Savard together is so stupid it defies logic! it is like putting up a sign that says just out skate us and you too can score! we have some young guns who should help but we need to get a couple of good high level Dmen! and of course we need a goalie who is not made of glass! a good center to take the pressure off of Zuke for at least 2 more years and we would be so much better than we are now. it can be done and the new focus on drafting will really take us the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Add me to the list that believes this is a refreshing approach and sensible - thank you for sharing some insight into a plan! That was something Bergevin never really revealed. Perhaps this is why Clague by Gorton, and Pitlick were picked up on waivers. FWIW I think Pitlick in time may be a great find. 
This echoes what I’ve been saying all along - trade our Soon to be UFA’s for another teams prospects that have shown some progression which speeds up our rebuild. If draft picks don’t show some progression within their first or second year post draft, they typically fall into that not going to make it mode. 

IMO a prospect is not always better than a pick, it really depends if you're getting a prospect you like. Would I be happy to get a Broberg or a Pelletier or a Bourgault, sure. But do I want another team's Michael McCarron or Ryan Poehling or Josh Brook or so on who haven't really shown much progression over a couple of years, probably not, if the alternative would be to grab a 1st rounder or a good 2nd rounder. When you get the draft choice, you're getting access to your pick of a dozen or two dozen guys who could slot into that spot maybe. It's not just saying here, this is the best of 2 or 3 prospects that this one team is offering up, it's giving you the choice of many more players that fit your ideal. If you have a good scouting department, then you can make more of that draft choice. So if your scouts tell you, this prospect is a guy we would want to pick and he's two years closer, then sure, go for it. But I'm also a fan of getting a draft pick and the options that gives you. I don't think there's one approach that's better than the other, it's really on an individual basis of how you evaluate the player and whether you think you can do better with an unknown. In essence, that's what Hughes was saying too.

I just want a guy that makes efforts to fill glaring holes on the roster without crying about how tough it is to make deals. Also want a guy who's not afraid to walk away from those long term deals for bottom half players rather then reward them for one decent year. It's a business and it needs to be run that way. Sentiment has very little value in today's NHL.

Ya think no one cares any more . To leave your goalie like that 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/in-the-habs-room-a-tough-night-for-goalie-samuel-montembeault

"I would never ask anyone to fight, but I want to see five red sweaters in the corner," coach says after goalie gets run over by Oilers.

When asked if he was disappointed there wasn’t an immediate reaction to Kassian’s hit, Toffoli said: “I don’t really have a direct answer for that. I think we definitely could have done a better job coming together. But what happened happened and, like I said, Pezz stepped up and he did a good job.”

14 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/in-the-habs-room-a-tough-night-for-goalie-samuel-montembeault

"I would never ask anyone to fight, but I want to see five red sweaters in the corner," coach says after goalie gets run over by Oilers.

When asked if he was disappointed there wasn’t an immediate reaction to Kassian’s hit, Toffoli said: “I don’t really have a direct answer for that. I think we definitely could have done a better job coming together. But what happened happened and, like I said, Pezz stepped up and he did a good job.”

Pez seems to be the only guy who still gives a crap when stuff like that happens. The killer is, this coach won't hesitate to sit him when we get more bodies back.

39 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Pez seems to be the only guy who still gives a crap when stuff like that happens. The killer is, this coach won't hesitate to sit him when we get more bodies back.

He's one of the few guys who isn;t locked up long term . He knows he could be headed to Laval tomorrow 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

He's one of the few guys who isn;t locked up long term . He knows he could be headed to Laval tomorrow 

If MB was still here he'd probably give him a 5 year extension.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Problem is, Pez only plays 5 minutes a game now!!!  I like the guy.  I like his effort.  I like that he sticks up for his teammates, to anyone! He deserves to be playing more.  I'm not saying 15-20 minutes a game, but, c'mon, give him 10 minutes.

16 hours ago, Regis22 said:

If they're just counting the days until the season is over, then maybe it's time to move them.  Just a thought.  

• H_T_L locked this topic