The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

Just now, campabee82 said:

It wasn't the hit itself but the distance traveled to make the hit. He came flying in from the blue line just to throw the hit. Plus the onus is on the checking player to not hit from behind. 9 times out of 10 that penalty is called even if the player being checked turns at the last second. It was a violent and illegal check from behind made worse because of the distance traveled. I usually don't agree with the reffing but in this case Pacquette should have tried to minimize the contact. He knew he was going to have a player in a vulnerable position so he should have let up to make sure he didn't injure Zegras. It is a penalty I would want to see called if it was Caufield in that position.

The call on the ice was boarding and not charging, and i agree it deserved a penalty, which he did indeed receive. IMO the game misconduct was a stretch at best compared to what i've seen delivered over and over in this League in the same situation with little to no repercussions. Paquette is a plug, so an expendable example to be made of by the League as usual. Double standards stink to high hell in the NHL.

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Who was not surprised to wake up and see that MB was still the GM this morning? :7072:

I for one had no illusions that MB would be at the helm. I think he is here until the end of the season, no matter how bad we do.

The days not over yet. I still expect one or both to get fired today. Probably DD.

13 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

The call on the ice was boarding and not charging, and i agree it deserved a penalty, which he did indeed receive. IMO the game misconduct was a stretch at best compared to what i've seen delivered over and over in this League in the same situation with little to no repercussions. Paquette is a plug, so an expendable example to be made of by the League as usual. Double standards stink to high hell in the NHL.

I see what you are saying, yeah the game misconduct was a reaction to the injure which was a result of him hitting his head on the ice not the actual check. Having said that I fully expect the league to suspend Pacquette for 2 games just cause he is a Habs player.

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Canadiens have assigned Cole Caufield to the Laval Rocket and recalled Michael Pezzetta, in addition to placing Mathieu Perreault on the injured reserve list.

The PK will get a work out

Im not opposed to sending CC to laval but, IMHO he was never a problem.  You send a guy down if a) he needs to work on things or b) you have a better option to take his place.  we clearly dont have the latter.  Will it help his development? I dunno.  I havent seen anything from him that makes me think he isnt an NHl caliber player already.   

Im not sure why we are playing a future 1st line winger 10 minutes a game with centres like Perreault, Brooks and Pacquette and then are surprised he hasnt been lighting things up. lol.

The PK is in desperate need of a fix.  I think Weber and Price hid a lot of issues on it but without them... its going to be a long year unless these coaches figure something out & I dont have high hopes... 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The PK is in desperate need of a fix. 

My comment about the PK will get a workout was in reference to Pezzetta being called up . 

I can only guess CC is being sent down to get his confidence back but then you cant send everyone down so ...

34 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Im not opposed to sending CC to laval but, IMHO he was never a problem.  You send a guy down if a) he needs to work on things or b) you have a better option to take his place.  we clearly dont have the latter.  Will it help his development? I dunno.  I havent seen anything from him that makes me think he isnt an NHl caliber player already.   

Im not sure why we are playing a future 1st line winger 10 minutes a game with centres like Perreault, Brooks and Pacquette and then are surprised he hasnt been lighting things up. lol.

The PK is in desperate need of a fix.  I think Weber and Price hid a lot of issues on it but without them... its going to be a long year unless these coaches figure something out & I dont have high hopes... 

I agree. I hope sending him down helps but in all honestly he's just a talented nhler who is slumping along with an entire team who is slumping/underachieving. 

4 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I see what you are saying, yeah the game misconduct was a reaction to the injure which was a result of him hitting his head on the ice not the actual check. Having said that I fully expect the league to suspend Pacquette for 2 games just cause he is a Habs player.

He got 2 games.

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Kind of surprising with all the dirty hits they've let slide in this League without blinking an eye. I didn't even think he deserved the game misconduct. If the guy doesn't turn at the last second, it's nothing but a clean solid hit IMO.

Agreed. It ended up being worse than it should have.

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It wasn't the hit itself but the distance traveled to make the hit. He came flying in from the blue line just to throw the hit. Plus the onus is on the checking player to not hit from behind. 9 times out of 10 that penalty is called even if the player being checked turns at the last second. It was a violent and illegal check from behind made worse because of the distance traveled. I usually don't agree with the reffing but in this case Pacquette should have tried to minimize the contact. He knew he was going to have a player in a vulnerable position so he should have let up to make sure he didn't injure Zegras. It is a penalty I would want to see called if it was Caufield in that position.

Didn't notice this til you mentioned it. He did come a long way, so,  definitely had time to adjust.

5 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Canadiens have assigned Cole Caufield to the Laval Rocket and recalled Michael Pezzetta, in addition to placing Mathieu Perreault on the injured reserve list.

The scape goat? This team is totally disorganized. 

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Who was not surprised to wake up and see that MB was still the GM this morning? :7072:

I for one had no illusions that MB would be at the helm. I think he is here until the end of the season, no matter how bad we do.

I was not surprised.  Disappointed. Absolutely!

6 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Pezzetta definitely earned the call up. Be nice to see  him do well. DesLaurier type player.

Bottom line for me is that the defence isn't deep or talented enough. Of the regulars, you have Petry and you have Kulak who can head-man the puck quickly and that's about it. Niku is also decent at this but isn't in every game. Wideman is our best D man in the O-zone, but I haven't been overly-impressed by his ability to skate or move the puck through the back end. When your D men don't skate the puck up the ice well and they don't have a partner to whom they can outlet the puck, and they don't get the puck to the forwards through the neutral zone with speed, then the offence doesn't really work. My guess is this is why we're seeing all of the forwards essentially struggling. We have pretty good scoring talent up front and we have reasonable speed up front. So you would think that if those guys were getting the puck in space, they would be generating more. But we're seeing a lot of issues with the transition game and that's hurting our offence. And that's why we can talk all we want about D men blocking shots and being "sound" defensively but a better way of keeping the puck out of our net would be to keep it in the other team's end. I just think we have too much dead weight in our D corps with Chiarot, Savard, and Romanov right now.

With Norlinder back from injury and not yet demoted, perhaps it means the Habs recognize the need for a player of his ilk and maybe he'll get a shot to play a few games. I'm interested to know whether his being in the line-up helps the PP and/or helps our forwards score more.

11 hours ago, Regis22 said:

At least it gets CC away from this tire fire. Rookie Coach in Laval, where team has been hot & cold. We'll see. Timing is curious, with Perreault,  Paquette & now CC out, only Pezzetta in. Also, Gallagher & possibly Petry and for sure Edmundson.  I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say, we will lose to Bertuzzi & the Wings.

55 minutes ago, electron58 said:

At least it gets CC away from this tire fire. Rookie Coach in Laval, where team has been hot & cold. We'll see. Timing is curious, with Perreault,  Paquette & now CC out, only Pezzetta in. Also, Gallagher & possibly Petry and for sure Edmundson.  I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say, we will lose to Bertuzzi & the Wings.

Game is in Montreal, so no Bertuzzi. Guess I missed that.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Bottom line for me is that the defence isn't deep or talented enough. Of the regulars, you have Petry and you have Kulak who can head-man the puck quickly and that's about it. Niku is also decent at this but isn't in every game. Wideman is our best D man in the O-zone, but I haven't been overly-impressed by his ability to skate or move the puck through the back end. When your D men don't skate the puck up the ice well and they don't have a partner to whom they can outlet the puck, and they don't get the puck to the forwards through the neutral zone with speed, then the offence doesn't really work. My guess is this is why we're seeing all of the forwards essentially struggling. We have pretty good scoring talent up front and we have reasonable speed up front. So you would think that if those guys were getting the puck in space, they would be generating more. But we're seeing a lot of issues with the transition game and that's hurting our offence. And that's why we can talk all we want about D men blocking shots and being "sound" defensively but a better way of keeping the puck out of our net would be to keep it in the other team's end. I just think we have too much dead weight in our D corps with Chiarot, Savard, and Romanov right now.

With Norlinder back from injury and not yet demoted, perhaps it means the Habs recognize the need for a player of his ilk and maybe he'll get a shot to play a few games. I'm interested to know whether his being in the line-up helps the PP and/or helps our forwards score more.

I don't know if this is right, but it seems a lot more likely to me than some of the other explanations, none of which make a lot of sense to me or really explain why a team full of reasonably talented wingers all seem to be slumping at once. Our defense was never great, and the loss of Weber combined with Petry looking off (hopefully just a slow start and not the wheels fallling off, which can happen fast to a dman aproaching 35) may have caused the entire team to fall off a cliff.

At some point I imagine they go for the coaching change, if for no other reason than there's no clear quick fixes to the roster and it may be worth a shot (I get the sense reading some articles DD is a good Xs and Os coach in theory, but the system may be too complex for the players to implement properly). I don't know if it will work: it may just be this team is bad, but hard to imagine they don't give it a try.

You'd have to think MB is out the door at some point. Mid-season GM firings are rare, but so is having a lame-duck GM. It's hard to see an extension coming (although a "promotion" to president of hockey ops wouldn't shock me, assuming MB didn't burn bridges last summer) and if Molson decides he wants to move on, I'm not sure you want the lame-duck running your trade-deadline, etc. 

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

. My guess is this is why we're seeing all of the forwards essentially struggling. We have pretty good scoring talent up front and we have reasonable speed up front. So you would think that if those guys were getting the puck in space, they would be generating more. But we're seeing a lot of issues with the transition game and that's hurting our offence.

I agree with all of this but my question is: could a good coach figure out a system to make this roster work? My guess is, yes.  I understand that MB built a team that is strong in some areas but very weak in others... but i also think the coaching staff are a one-trick pony right now. "This is the system. Learn it" wont work if you dont have the right players. 

Whatever the reasons for our downfall, and there are many, I don't see how MB is still in the running for a contract extension. It's the team he built and consequently thought was good enough to be competitive without Weber, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Byron, Perry, Staal, and Tatar (not including Edmundson and Price because nobody could anticipate that), yet we're playing .200 hockey and aren't even good enough to grab the occasional loser point in OT.

• H_T_L locked this topic