The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

1 hour ago, richard464 said:

Once upon a time there was a great franchise in the NHL known as the Montreal Canadiens. They were feared when they stepped on the ice and as a result they became the most revered franchise in the history of the NHL. Over time the other franchises continued to grow and strengthen to the point that the Montreal franchise was not the most feared but could still hold their head up with the best. Today they cannot even hold their head up as they are mired in disgrace and embarassment.They have no leadership to provide the way out of this disaster as they have seemed to be hiding in some cave in the Laurentians.

Last year after 22 games we were 10-6-6-OTL for 26 pts. Julien was fired on Feb 23rd as management felt he was no longer effective as a head coach. Following Julien's firing the Habs went 15-16-7-OTL for 37 pts in 38 games under Ducharme. (How effective was the firing?) One month after they replaced Julien with DD I posted that DD was way in over his head and was not the coach needed in Montreal. Let's face it there is no way in hell Montreal deserevd to be in the playoffs last year. Their appearance was unlike the "Miracle on 34th Street". They were all but eliminated after four games against the Leafs. That was when the miracle kicked in. They came back and won three straight. That momentum carried them into a four game sweep of the Jets and then on to remove the Knights 4-2. Was it the coaching that got them there? Absolutely not!  Bergevin awarded Ducharme with a three year contract for what he felt was a wonderful coaching job during the season/playoffs. The reason they performed in the playoffs was because they busted their ass every time they stepped on the ice and Carey stood on his head. The more they won the better they played and showed tenacity, desire and great team work by not forcing the play on the ice, keeping it simple and having a great deal of fun doing it. They actually built up the feeling that this just might be possible. They deserved every accolade they received during that run because they ignored the hype of them not belonging in the playoffs and with the sweet taste of winning turned up the intensity and knocked off three very good teams. They finally hit the wall against TB who are a great franchise with an excellent coach and a GM that put this team together with winning being a priority.( what a concept eh?):rolleyes:

Here we are in a new season and the Habs are totally lost. Coaching has no system in place to change course and the owner is still hiding in the basement of the brewery. What a shame! The team's leaders, Petry, Anderson,Toffoli, Gallagher are dressing every night but they are not there. The young kids (Caufield) are lost and are not receiving any assistance from the leaders on the team or the coaching. Ducharme's coaching method is as boring as his interviews. He has admitted that he has no answer for what is going on. Firing him now will result in the franchise paying three coaches! There needs to be a change so why not fire him and move Richardson up for now to aoid making another bad decision. This french speaking coach BS has to stop. Someone please tell me the name of the last great french speaking coach we had? :blush: This team is not as bad as they are showing right now. Are they a playoff contender hell no but they are not a last place team either. The sport's writers are running out of reasons this team is as bad as it is. They keep saying that the Canucks need to make some changes! What about us?

Tonight will be yet another disaster and poor Allen will once again feel like he is alone on the ice, I am sure. In the 74 years that I have been a fan of this team, I have gone through some rough seasons but nothing like this!  :6351:

Good read, richard464. Nice to see, that you have been a diehard Hab fan for all those years. (We all feel your pain.) I agree with your synopsis. I too believe,  that the Habs went as far as they did, despite DD & bergebin. This team has been on a downward trajectory,  since bergebin took over. The facts are telling!  We need some direction,  now!  Even if it means selling off players that are not in the long term future. But we have to get rid of bergebin! First!

For those wanting the Habs to tank and get a shot a Shane Wright  

IT’S NEVER TOO EARLY TO TANK

With Ottawa and Montreal among the bottom-three in the standings, it’s never too early to start thinking about the draft, where consensus top prospect Shane Wright awaits the lucky loser. But according to Sportsnet’s draft expert Sam Cosentino, this all-or-nothing approach might not necessarily turn a franchise around.

“He’s not McDavid-like,” Cosentino said of Wright, who received exceptional status to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old, but has started out somewhat slowly this season. “There’s way more uncertainty surrounding this draft class. Honestly, if I’m tanking, I’m tanking for next year, where there could be three guys (Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov and Dalibor Dvorsky) who can change the fortune of your team.”

lol..Montreal can't even lose in the right year 

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Time to bring in Roy and Babcock. Roy can handle the press. 

Roy would be interesting, never a dull moment and if there’s anyone that has the nuts to stand up to Premier Legault and say screw you on not enough francophones in the lineup, it would be Patrick and it would be accepted as a merit decision that they’re not good enough. Roy has the advantage of being very familiar with the QMJHL players for the last 3 years but and should be a good evaluator of talent. It’s just his patience that is a concern 

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

With Ottawa and Montreal among the bottom-three in the standings, it’s never too early to start thinking about the draft, where consensus top prospect Shane Wright awaits the lucky loser. But according to Sportsnet’s draft expert Sam Cosentino, this all-or-nothing approach might not necessarily turn a franchise around.

“He’s not McDavid-like,” Cosentino said of Wright, who received exceptional status to play in the OHL as a 15-year-old, but has started out somewhat slowly this season. “There’s way more uncertainty surrounding this draft class. Honestly, if I’m tanking, I’m tanking for next year, where there could be three guys (Connor Bedard, Matvei Michkov and Dalibor Dvorsky) who can change the fortune of your team.”

or the tanking is right on time cause I understand this is also a good draft year and I don't see how we'll be very good next year either but that's only that case if we make the selling moves we have to make

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I’m not sure Wright is generational but he does project to be a very solid centre with some size that will put 25 goals and 80+ points which is tons better than anything we have had in recent past. If we are in the top 5 picks, we should still get a very solid player. If it’s not a centre and we know of a fin that didn’t turn out so well, Rw Joakim Kemell is lighting it up in the top Finnish league. I’m watching the draft prospects and the Xmas world tournament of un drafted players closely for someone who can rise up. 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don;t know much about Gorton but I know he ran a successful rebuild and is clearly willing to go that route. It surprises me though because even if we hire a french gm people are not going to like this

I guess the thought process is this GM and the GM (new or MB) can handle the pressure and politics while Gorton figures out the hockey crap

A look at the bottom of the overall NHL standings this evening! (one week later)

26.  Chicago         21       7      12    2     16

27.   Seattle          21       7      13    1     15

28. Vancouver      22      6       14    2     14

29.  Montreal       23      6     15     2      14

30.  N.Y.I.             17       5     10     2      12

31.   Arizona         21       4     15     2      10

32.    Ottawa        19       4     14     1        9

Seattle jumps past the Habs. Habs catch Canucks. Islanders drop behind Habs, with 6 games in hand.  Habs now 10 points out of a wild card spot. Bruins have 5 games in hand.  Flyers have 3.  4 point game tonight, with the Canucks!

Fight for the Wright!

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price skated without pads Monday, returning to the ice for what's believed to be the first time in two weeks. A date for his return to full practice and then game action remains undetermined.

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The question is: when he returns, will it be with the habs? or another team? Personally I dont mind keeping Price around.  If we go into a proper rebuild we should have more than enough cap to cover his salary but the question is: does Price want to go through yet another rebuild?  Obviously with the NMC he is in full control\ but it may be at the point where he's ready to move on. 

Probably not this year unless he is able to return to a streak of solid form including possibly the Olympic team performance before the trade deadline of March 21. Otherwise we are selling him at a low value to escape salary and may not fetch much in return. The honourable thing to do is to provide trading opportunities to Carey based on his service to the organization and provide him the ability to play for a winner in his twilight years vs. gutting it out on a rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Disillusioned1 said:

After giving up 42 shots last night, the habs have given up 26, 33, 41, 34, 43, 36, 34, 39, 50 and 42 in the last 10, playing against at least couple of really bad teams.  No points for guessing which games they won.  Not only are they not scoring, they can't seem to limit the other teams' chances either.

The turnovers, the lack of offensive possessions are just brutal and when we don't have the puck, looks like we are just pylons in our D-Zone and can't recover the puck to prevent the shots on goal. We are not feared in breakouts, our penalty kill is a disaster, hence the shots on goal and the recipe for losses. You are bang on!