The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

Curious to see if anyone on this roster starts to play better now that Ducharme is gone. Without a doubt, there are veterans on this team that did not appreciate having Ducharme as a coach, so I wonder if they'll step up knowing he's gone. Then again, one of the issues with Ducharme was his lack of a system or structure the way Julien had. Does MSL fix that without any experience? Or is he more of the same ra-ra without a strategy? To be determined.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

Curious to see if anyone on this roster starts to play better now that Ducharme is gone. Without a doubt, there are veterans on this team that did not appreciate having Ducharme as a coach, so I wonder if they'll step up knowing he's gone. Then again, one of the issues with Ducharme was his lack of a system or structure the way Julien had. Does MSL fix that without any experience? Or is he more of the same ra-ra without a strategy? To be determined.

Me too. For the type of career MSL had, I  gotta believe that he was a very smart hockey player and thinks the game at a high level. I  know it didn't work for coach Gretzky, but, just maybe, it'll work for MSL. We'll see, if his assistant coaches have anything to offer,  that Dom wouldn't listen to. Also, I  hope he can play the players that deserve to play. Kinda like MSL got to play in TB.

30.    Seatlle         47      15     28      4       34   DIFF=  -41

31.   Arizona         47      12     31      4       28   DIFF=  -71

32.  Montreal       45        8     30      7       23   DIFF=  -79

The Yotes, with a little separation.

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens announced on Saturday that the club has traded Brandon Baddock to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for goaltender Andrew Hammond.

Works for me. we are out of goalies and the ones we have who can play are all hurt a bit or shell shocked not much choice but to go get another one!

2 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

MONTREAL -- The Montreal Canadiens announced on Saturday that the club has traded Brandon Baddock to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for goaltender Andrew Hammond.

Minnesota gets tougher for the playoffs.  We get a goalie with experience.  He may not be the Hamburglar anymore,  but hopefully,  he's better than what we have. This allows Primeau to develop and come up hopefully, at a better time.

18 minutes ago, electron58 said:

We get a goalie with experience.  He may not be the Hamburglar anymore,  but hopefully,  he's better than what we have.

Oh he's not . He's been in the AHL since for the last 6 yrs or so.

19 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Oh he's not . He's been in the AHL since for the last 6 yrs or so.

13-14 Ottawa NHL    1    0.00    1.000
 Binghamton  AHL    48    2.81    .910
14-15 Ottawa NHL    24    1.79    .941
 Binghamton  AHL    25    3.51    .898
15-16 Ottawa NHL    24    2.65    .914
 Binghamton   AHL      2    4.05    .864
16-17 Ottawa NHL      6    4.08    .837
 Binghamton   AHL      5    3.24    .884
17-18 Belleville AHL  18    3.34    .900
 San Antonio     AHL    1    1.00    .969
 Colorado          NHL    1    2.06    .939
18-19     Iowa    AHL  33    2.81    .910
19-20    Buffalo NHL    0    -    -
 Rochester         AHL  33    2.53    .908
20-21 Minnesota NHL    0    -    -
21-22 Minnesota NHL    0    -    -
 Iowa Wild    AHL    11    2.44    .908
 Montréal Canadiens    NHL    -    -    

Stats really aren't that bad. If he can maintain a 90-91% save percentage,  he'll be a positive add.

29 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Getting Primeau out of this mess is the benefit . Although I still don't see how Primeau got annointed the " goalie of the future " 

yeah I think we need go throw water on that. At this point he's just an average goalie prospect

Nothing has changed. We're even getting goaltending from Montembault, we just suck. Would like to see some  movement so we can get excited about something. I think even the team would bennefit from a sign that we're at the start of something better. At least Caufield looks good though, that's exactly what we need young players to play well... and still lose

26 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Nothing has changed. We're even getting goaltending from Montembault, we just suck. Would like to see some  movement so we can get excited about something. I think even the team would bennefit from a sign that we're at the start of something better. At least Caufield looks good though, that's exactly what we need young players to play well... and still lose

Wrong things have changed! no 7-2 loss the team is playing better the kids look better the players don't look lost! Petry needs to go he still looks lost he is a turnover machine! Chiarot is playing over his head too but the team is slowly turning it around. As players get moved like Chiarot and Petry I feel we could even start playing better!

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Wrong things have changed! no 7-2 loss the team is playing better the kids look better the players don't look lost! Petry needs to go he still looks lost he is a turnover machine! Chiarot is playing over his head too but the team is slowly turning it around. As players get moved like Chiarot and Petry I feel we could even start playing better!

If they trade Petry, Chiarot, and Kulak, then this is essentially the D they have with Edmundson and Savard out:

Romanov-Niku

Clague-Wideman

Schueneman-Brook

Not sure it'll be any better. I think if they trade Petry, they need to make sure there's a younger NHL-ready RHD coming back. There's legitimately no one in the system who's ready to play this year and probably not even next.

5 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Petry costs us another game with that late penalty. Might win a few once they trade him. 

I don't think it's fair to say Petry cost us the game. Players take penalties all the time even in the last minute of a game. What beat us was a perfectly placed Laine shot. Not much anyone could do about that.

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't think it's fair to say Petry cost us the game. Players take penalties all the time even in the last minute of a game. What beat us was a perfectly placed Laine shot. Not much anyone could do about that.

Agree. Jackets should have been penalized for interference along the boards with about 2:35 left in the third. Petry's penalty doesn't even happen. But, it's NHL officiating. what can you expect.

22 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

1 minute ago, habs1952 said:

Agree. Jackets should have been penalized for interference along the boards with about 2:35 left in the third. Petry's penalty doesn't even happen. But, it's NHL officiating. what can you expect.

Meh. I don't have much to say about the penalty to be honest. It was a penalty. It came at a bad time. But that said, it wasn't like Petry made a boneheaded play and took a dumb retaliation penalty or got caught out and reached back to grab someone or took a penalty in the O zone or so on. He lined up a hit, the guy sidestepped him, and his momentum carried him into making a hit on the guy's leg instead. It was more just an unfortunate event at a terrible time, and a lot of members of the media were quick to jump on it and blow it out of proportion. They've loved crapping on Petry all season, in addition to guys like Caufield and Toffoli and Gallagher. But those same media members don't have anything bad to say about Savard or Chiarot or Perreault or Dvorak. They didn't pile on Montembeault when he played badly upon arriving here. Why? Because a lot of the media frankly 1. Loves to defend Francophones and hype them up and 2. Loves to defend gritty journeymen.

The other thing is that it's partly about expectations. Petry's probably been our most valuable player over the past few years and he carried the D corps several times when Weber was out. I believe he's a top 5-10 D man in the league for scoring over the past 3-4 years combined. But when things go badly, the media will jump on how Petry isn't playing like a top D any more. Yet the numbers show he's still been better than most everyone else on the D corps. They've all sucked, and most have sucked worse than Petry, but Petry's expected to do more. The only guy with better advanced metric than Petry this year is Wideman, and The Athletic just published numbers to show that Wideman has been significantly sheltered this year, whereas Petry and Chiarot have had the toughest match-ups by far. The media did the same thing to Gomez, to Pacioretty, to Galchenyuk, to Eller. They love to pile on guys who aren't meeting their expectations, even if the data shows those guys are still doing better than their teammates.

Is something off with Petry this year? Yup. But then so too is there something off with 90% of the roster. It's a D corps with exactly one top 4 defenceman and very few puck movers. It's a roster that hasn't had an starter-quality goalie half the time. It's a team with one top 6 center and not a single elite player at any position. So not sure what anyone thought was going to happen when you start with a poorly-constructed roster and then tack on tons of injuries. To boot, we know guys like Petry and Armia have both had COVID at least twice, and we know that it can affect your long-term energy, breathing, and so on. I also think it's no secret now that Petry didn't like Ducharme. So yeah, the guy hasn't been his usual stellar self, but there are factors that have led to that, and I don't think it's all that helpful to try to play up every bad play he's made and blow it our of proportion. This wasn't Domi taking countless selfish retaliatory penalties. But it was predictable that the Lapierres and Brunets and Stocks and Morrisettes of the world, who had little talent of their own when they played would love to talk about how poor the team's star players have done.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Meh. I don't have much to say about the penalty to be honest. It was a penalty. It came at a bad time. But that said, it wasn't like Petry made a boneheaded play and took a dumb retaliation penalty or got caught out and reached back to grab someone or took a penalty in the O zone or so on. He lined up a hit, the guy sidestepped him, and his momentum carried him into making a hit on the guy's leg instead. It was more just an unfortunate event at a terrible time, and a lot of members of the media were quick to jump on it and blow it out of proportion. They've loved crapping on Petry all season, in addition to guys like Caufield and Toffoli and Gallagher. But those same media members don't have anything bad to say about Savard or Chiarot or Perreault or Dvorak. They didn't pile on Montembeault when he played badly upon arriving here. Why? Because a lot of the media frankly 1. Loves to defend Francophones and hype them up and 2. Loves to defend gritty journeymen.

The other thing is that it's partly about expectations. Petry's probably been our most valuable player over the past few years and he carried the D corps several times when Weber was out. I believe he's a top 5-10 D man in the league for scoring over the past 3-4 years combined. But when things go badly, the media will jump on how Petry isn't playing like a top D any more. Yet the numbers show he's still been better than most everyone else on the D corps. They've all sucked, and most have sucked worse than Petry, but Petry's expected to do more. The only guy with better advanced metric than Petry this year is Wideman, and The Athletic just published numbers to show that Wideman has been significantly sheltered this year, whereas Petry and Chiarot have had the toughest match-ups by far. The media did the same thing to Gomez, to Pacioretty, to Galchenyuk, to Eller. They love to pile on guys who aren't meeting their expectations, even if the data shows those guys are still doing better than their teammates.

Is something off with Petry this year? Yup. But then so too is there something off with 90% of the roster. It's a D corps with exactly one top 4 defenceman and very few puck movers. It's a roster that hasn't had an starter-quality goalie half the time. It's a team with one top 6 center and not a single elite player at any position. So not sure what anyone thought was going to happen when you start with a poorly-constructed roster and then tack on tons of injuries. To boot, we know guys like Petry and Armia have both had COVID at least twice, and we know that it can affect your long-term energy, breathing, and so on. I also think it's no secret now that Petry didn't like Ducharme. So yeah, the guy hasn't been his usual stellar self, but there are factors that have led to that, and I don't think it's all that helpful to try to play up every bad play he's made and blow it our of proportion. This wasn't Domi taking countless selfish retaliatory penalties. But it was predictable that the Lapierres and Brunets and Stocks and Morrisettes of the world, who had little talent of their own when they played would love to talk about how poor the team's star players have done.

Well watching the game Petry did make a few tape to tape passes right to the other team like he has all year! in fact he has done this in most of the games I have watched this year I also can't forget one game where he just shot it out of bounds to avoid a hit! He is one player who I find to be very sensitive to who his partner is always has been without Eddy this year he has been brutal, he brings no offence anymore either. Don't need media to see that! perhaps the media say what they say about some players for a reason?

• H_T_L locked this topic