The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

Just now, ramcharger440 said:

T he GM can't show his cards if he wants to make the best deals. Let's be real this is a rebuild they may not want to phrase it that way but it is.

I am on the fence about it, I agree we need to be building the future but I hate wasting more time on Price, Gallagher and other long time Habs. Those guys deserve a shot at the cup. 

On the GM not showing his cards, that isn't how Gorton works. He literally came out with a letter to the Rangers fans and said they were rebuilding. 

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I am on the fence about it, I agree we need to be building the future but I hate wasting more time on Price, Gallagher and other long time Habs. Those guys deserve a shot at the cup. 

On the GM not showing his cards, that isn't how Gorton works. He literally came out with a letter to the Rangers fans and said they were rebuilding. 

Yeah I mean about player moves and long term goals you don't want other GM's knowing what you want long term or the price goes up at some point.

Just now, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah I mean about player moves and long term goals you don't want other GM's knowing what you want long term or the price goes up at some point.

Agreed, it just seems out of character for Gorton to not be upfront. Maybe it is an organizational rule or something with Montreal though cause we almost never hear from players or executives about anything going on behind the scenes.

I find Gorton and Hughes have been much more upfront than Bergevin ever was. Bergevin lied about everything directly to our faces. Still too early to judge Hughes, but his answers seem more open and honest.

As for Harris, one of the French papers (maybe La Presse) had an interview with him and he basically stated he had a lot of connections to the Habs with teammates and sons of our current coach and GM playing there and that added to his comfort level. He said his plan was always to go back to school for 4 years despite the Montreal media thinking he was going to sign last year and that his overall plan has never changed. He personally hasn't committed to any plan, but the fact Hughes feels there's hope and that he met with him this weekend is a good sign. It means Harris is at least open to coming here, and frankly, if Harris wants opportunity, he's not going to get a better shot than what we have to offer him. We have Romanov, the injured Edmundson, the awful Savard, and the soon-to-be-traded Chiarot and Petry and that's pretty much it. Harris has as much of a shot if not more of being pro ready next year compared to Guhle or Norlinder, and that's really his competition.

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agreed, it just seems out of character for Gorton to not be upfront. Maybe it is an organizational rule or something with Montreal though cause we almost never hear from players or executives about anything going on behind the scenes.

It's a business they have no obligation to let anyone know their intent. If the fans or general public don't know about something or it 'seems" opposite of what most expected. It actually isn't lying to the fans or anyone else. There are always factors that the public may never know that determine things and may change direction of what it appeared may have been the first direction a team was going to go. The old they lied to us, it's a business always first and foremost. 

5 hours ago, campabee82 said:

As an add on to the above, Hughes also said that the team was looking to build for the future to be perennial contenders but wasn't looking to be contenders next year. He is better at talking in circles and saying nothing at all than MB was lol. One question he basically says rebuild the next he says no rebuild lol

I know, eh. He's a master at keeping us guessing 

Kent Hughes when asked during his presser today, what trading Toffoli signifies "We are not looking to tear this down and get the 1st OVA draft pick in the next 2 years. We are looking to build on what we have going forward" 

NOT a rebuild? Is it the best plan given the state of the Habs? Probably not, but we can't really do much about that. We have a team that with the right moves CAN be a playoff team and can go deep. The key will be Hughes identifying and making those right moves. Thus far I am not sure he has after the Toffoli trade, since he said "the plan wasn't to tear it down and get the 1st ova pick in the next 2 drafts."

Actions speak louder than words?

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I find Gorton and Hughes have been much more upfront than Bergevin ever was. Bergevin lied about everything directly to our faces. Still too early to judge Hughes, but his answers seem more open and honest.

I too, feel JG & KH have been upfront. Maybe a little ambiguous,  but it could just be our perceived interpretation. The previous regime? He was a chronic liar & a pouty negotiator,  "My way or the highway." Our new management team is a breath of fresh air. KH is a clean cut & articulate GM.  I am now optimistic (although as a longtime diehard Hab fan, I'm always optimistic at the start of a new season,  until we crash & burn, and then reality kicks in) So, hopefully,  we see a few more good trades,  with the odd immoval contract traded as well.

33 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I know, eh. He's a master at keeping us guessing 

And I don't think it's a bad thing just saying when you think you have the plan figured out he kind of answers ambiguous lol. No matter what we all believe or think we don't have a need to know everything 

51 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

And I don't think it's a bad thing just saying when you think you have the plan figured out he kind of answers ambiguous lol. No matter what we all believe or think we don't have a need to know everything 

Agreed. KH is keeping all his options open, allowing for plausible deniability. & I too, am OK with that. It's refreshing to have a GM with integrity.

7 hours ago, campabee82 said:

As an add on to the above, Hughes also said that the team was looking to build for the future to be perennial contenders but wasn't looking to be contenders next year. He is better at talking in circles and saying nothing at all than MB was lol. One question he basically says rebuild the next he says no rebuild lol

A little clarity. Now this makes sense.

Canadiens general manager Kent Hughes didn’t want to use terms like “retool” and “reset” Wednesday to describe the team’s transformation under new management but, when it comes to the defence, the team is looking at a major teardown and rebuild.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Different wording .

You use the word contender  .

He said "competitive " 

"Do we want to build a team that will make the Stanley Cup final next year? No. We want a team that will be competitive year over year." - Kent Hughes

The Montreal Canadiens under MB have never been contenders nor have they been competitive IMO

43 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

The Montreal Canadiens under MB have never been contenders nor have they been competitive IMO

Probably because of the swiss cheese lineup he put together every year. His idea of filling a glaring hole was to sign 3 so so players in the hopes one of them would do the job. Kind of like trying to stop the bleeding from a bullet hole with 3 mini bandaids.

The Montreal Canadiens have sent goaltender Michael McNiven back to the American Hockey League’s Laval Rocket.  McNiven had been on injured reserve since making his NHL debut against the Minnesota Wild on January 24. Him being sent down means that he would be healthy enough to suit up for the Rocket. With Andrew Hammond and Samuel Montembeault in the NHL, McNiven wasn’t needed there.

19 hours ago, electron58 said:

but, when it comes to the defence, the team is looking at a major teardown and rebuild.

Good.   Up front we're missing a key player or two (at least one of which we'll add at the draft) but we have some nice pieces.  On the backend its not looking great.  Some quality middle to lower depth prospects but virtually no one looking like they are a lock to be a top pairing dman.  We went from Weber & Petry as 1st pairing guys on most teams to nearly no one now. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Good.   Up front we're missing a key player or two (at least one of which we'll add at the draft) but we have some nice pieces.  On the backend its not looking great.  Some quality middle to lower depth prospects but virtually no one looking like they are a lock to be a top pairing dman.  We went from Weber & Petry as 1st pairing guys on most teams to nearly no one now. 

Maybe that's why the Habs were linked to Jakob Chychrun.

15 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Mentioned this a few weeks ago. Could be a way to get rid of the Weber contract. 

There could be a way? or, There is a way? Surprised there's no deal to be had with Nashville.  Weber should retire as a Predator. Maybe they use him in a management position and can keep an eye on his cap hit. Give us an NHL ready prospect and we call it even.   👍

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

There could be a way? or, There is a way? Surprised there's no deal to be had with Nashville.  Weber should retire as a Predator. Maybe they use him in a management position and can keep an eye on his cap hit. Give us an NHL ready prospect and we call it even.   👍

There hasn't been any news at all about Weber. My hope would be after a year off Weber and Price could come back solid , then with Edmonson back ready we'd look pretty good

Just now, CaptWelly said:

There hasn't been any news at all about Weber. My hope would be after a year off Weber and Price could come back solid , then with Edmonson back ready we'd look pretty good

I would love to see Weber come back as well, I kind of feel like something is up there like he knows he just needs some time off but still wants another shot at a cup. I feel like this is a big reason we will see less vets moved than we expect.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Weber gets paid full salary on LTIR as nhl contracts are guaranteed so for next year he stands to collect $3M, which he couldn’t earn in any other hockey role. The following year it drops to $1M which is when it gets interesting. Of course Weber would love to come back by I don’t think any of us foresee that happening. With Weber on our LTIR, it doesn’t substantially hurt us. But after 2023, the potential for Weber to retire and take a $1M hockey job with the Canadiens or Nashville has a significant penalty to the Preds. 

interesting read 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/jeff-gorton-faces-tall-task-modernizing-canadiens-off-ice/

Jeff Gorton faces tall task of modernizing Canadiens on and off ice

“I think that there was a little bit of an old-school feel to this organization,” Gorton said in an interview with Sportsnet last Friday.

Gorton knew before, and he knows even better now, that taking the Canadiens – a team that doesn’t even currently employ a skills coach or have an in-house analytics department -- from analog to digital is going to be an enormous undertaking. He knows that they were the 15-minutes-early-to-a-meeting type who built their reputation over decades as industry leaders in nearly every department, but also that they’ve been running late for too long and must now sprint to catch up.

Guys this Weber contract was very misunderstood from the beginning. 100% Weber is never playing again and is not retiring until the end of his contract. Nashville has nothing to worry about. Habs never had anything to worry about. 

Weber might be move to a floor team but that's it, we may get a second out of it or something like that

• H_T_L locked this topic