The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

No turning back .

Just because the team is playing better under MSL that is no need to change the direction of the re build, re set ..

Whatever the plans were before MSL , keep them .

This is the chance we have to change the make up / direction of the organization .

Let's do it

51 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

No turning back .

Just because the team is playing better under MSL that is no need to change the direction of the re build, re set ..

Whatever the plans were before MSL , keep them .

This is the chance we have to change the make up / direction of the organization .

Let's do it

I am with you there on sticking to a plan

With Bergevin, I was encouraged by his recent drafts - 2018 KK (3rd) then Ylonen - 35, Romanov - 38 even Jordan Harris if we sign him (71), then 2019 - Caufield (15) Struble (46) and Norlinder (64) then 2020 Guhle (16) and Tuch (47) - tough injuries,  Mysak (48) and 2021 - gutsy Mailloux (31) and Kidney (63) and we have Joshua Roy in the 5th round , so I start to think MB is building something thru the draft. Then instead of trying for some prospects etc., he lame brains on overlapping Edmundson on Chiarot and signs Savard, Hoffman, extends Armia. totally clouds any sense of vision. So I hope HuGO follow-up the path of the Toffoli trade and give us a better view of a consistent youth development plan. 

7 minutes ago, claremont said:

With Bergevin, I was encouraged by his recent drafts - 2018 KK (3rd) then Ylonen - 35, Romanov - 38 even Jordan Harris if we sign him (71), then 2019 - Caufield (15) Struble (46) and Norlinder (64) then 2020 Guhle (16) and Tuch (47) - tough injuries,  Mysak (48) and 2021 - gutsy Mailloux (31) and Kidney (63) and we have Joshua Roy in the 5th round , so I start to think MB is building something thru the draft. Then instead of trying for some prospects etc., he lame brains on overlapping Edmundson on Chiarot and signs Savard, Hoffman, extends Armia. totally clouds any sense of vision. So I hope HuGO follow-up the path of the Toffoli trade and give us a better view of a consistent youth development plan. 

MB's biggest problem, imho is that he couldnt see the whole team as a singular vision.

MB would have never traded Toffoli. Why? because he is a good player.  Thats true but how many players do we need in the same role?    HuGo looked at this roster & said... ok, how many top 6 wingers do we have?  How many do we need?  And while you certainly could make arguments to keep Toff over say Anderson or Drouin, they understand that having all of them, while you have huge holes in other areas of the roster makes no sense.

At one point we had like 9 NHL defensemen who pretty much all could have found a roster spot on any team but most of them were #5-6 guys.  Quantity doesnt = Quality. MB just never seemed to understand that. I think it went back to his playing days when he spent large amounts of time next to guys like Al Macinnis & thought "see, you can pair a journeyman with an allstar & it works out" but this is not ideal. How much more effective would Weber or Petry have been with a quality guy next to them? 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

But age has to be a factor too.  You yourself mentioned Gallagher being "past his best before date" - he's 29 years old.  Who's to say Chiarot or Lehkonen etc wont be there in a year or two.

A great GM understands that you have to move on from a player right before they start their decline. Its often tough for fans because you see that player have success for a year or two - and its always a risk moving established guys for youth/prospects/picks, but i think we're at that point now where we have to consider it for the right return. 

I doubt Lehkonen will be past the best before date in 2 years,  he is only 26 :), he is a great skater, with that low center of gravity,  he was highly touted as an offensive player coming to the NHL, maybe under MSL, he can find that part of his game, 20 plus goals??. He has been plugged in as a defensive player with the Likes of Therrien, Julien and Ducharme, he will always be a very valuable defensive forward, maybe he can finally find offensive side of his game under MSL, Small sample recently but good results. 

Chariot that is a different story, 31 in may,  we have some up an coming left shot deeman, Romanov, Guhle, and hopefully Harris, along with Edmunston, We should be fine anyway. Edmunston will more than fill Chariot role next season, So i dont see a spot  for Chariot anywa, I would even at this point take a young right dee prospect in an even swap, I think we are going to get more, but i would be fine with just a nice young right dee prospect.

16 minutes ago, claremont said:

With Bergevin, I was encouraged by his recent drafts - 2018 KK (3rd) then Ylonen - 35, Romanov - 38 even Jordan Harris if we sign him (71), then 2019 - Caufield (15) Struble (46) and Norlinder (64) then 2020 Guhle (16) and Tuch (47) - tough injuries,  Mysak (48) and 2021 - gutsy Mailloux (31) and Kidney (63) and we have Joshua Roy in the 5th round , so I start to think MB is building something thru the draft.

I  never really followed the draft 

I  looked at the roster and didnt see any young quality ( IMO )  players

5 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I doubt Lehkonen will be past the best before date in 2 years,  he is only 26 :), he is a great skater, with that low center of gravity, 

Right but Lehks is also an RFA for 1 more year & then most likely wants a nice raise and probably term.  He's (at best) our #5 winger so how much can we afford to give him?   Are we better off trading him now that his value is likely as high as it ever has, or probably will, be? 

4 hours ago, KRH said:

Gallagher is 29, has taken a beating, and appears to have regressed.  Albeit, if we are not going full-out youth, I would not be entirely adverse to having him on the roster for another couple of years.  I would have attempted to trade him last year, but now that he is still here he may be more valuable for another couple of years than what we are getting in return.

A Chiarot trade, yes, if the return is great .... but how will we know if it is great.  No guarantees with a late 1st round pick, or a prospect.

Lehkonen, for me a hard no.  He is still young.  We are not likely going to get back what we are giving up.

"A great GM understands that you have to move on from a player right before they start their decline."  This tells me we have not had great GM's.  Otherwise, Price would be gone.  Gallagher would be gone.  Petry would be gone.  Byron would be gone.  Allen would be gone.  We would not have signed Savard.  We would not have signed Hoffman.

My position is, unless the return is substantial, I am keeping Chiarot for now, and Lehkonen for a few years yet.  If they go, what do you have left in the way of character, hard work, leadership.  It concerns me.

It can't be all youth and we're going to have all these high-end talents just because we had extra draft picks or prospects (that other teams were willing to let go?) Hockey is a team sport and I agree gamers or whatever you want to call them win playoff series and tight games. Tampa hasn't done it all on youth. Mcdonough wasn't young when the y brought him in? Have they moved on from Stamkos yet is it time to dump Hedman....really. You do need players that come to play every night like Lehks and Chariot to teach and mostly show the young "elite" that it actually takes more than talent. Will can beat skill. Especially in the game of hockey. This same team with a 100% healthy roster and MSL or a better coach than what we had I'm sure would of been better. Coming in to training camp before we new Price , Edmonton even Weber were 100% no goes, most I believe actually did think we'd make the playoffs. Going all in on youth and hope we could end up like Buffalo and Arizona ..............that next pick or prospect is going to do it.........while we have a soft team learning a losing culture. It will depend on Price and possibly Allen but we are closer to a retool if managed properly than a full rebuild I believe. 

We may not have a Choice if Chariot wants to test the market but we don't have to trade Lehks and he isn't making that much money. He also doesn't have to be considered a 4th line player. I like that MSL has given him some PP time lately. Even though Drouin has potential (gee a high draft choice). I take Lehks over Drouin everyday because he is a heart and soul player. A "gamer". Until Bettman completely turns the game into basket ball no hitting at all and all offense (which is unfortunately happening) it's still a team game.

Contrary to Chiarot, there‘s no real need to trade Lehkonen. His value is rising and if there‘s an offer you can’t refuse, great. Otherwise we can still qualify him and trade him next year. We don’t need to sign him long-term, let‘s just see what’s out there in terms of offers. 

Top European, College and Junior free agents
Corey Pronman of The Athletic: Ranking that top European, College and Junior free agents.

Projected NHL Players

1. Andrei Kuzmenko – LW – SKA KHL
  2. Ben Meyers – C –Minnesota Big Ten

A chance to play in the NHL

3. Jake Livingstone – RHD – Minnesota State NCHA
  4. Bobby Trivigno – LW –UMass HE
  5 Sergei Tolchinsky-LW-Avangard  KHL
  6. Niko Ojamaki – RW – Podolsk  KHL
  7. Jordan Fransca – C – Kingston OHL                          signed = Pittsburg Penguins
  8. Max Veronneau-RW – Leksands SHL
  9. Bennett MacArthur – LW – Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL  signed = Tampa Bay Lightening
10. Brandon Bussi-G-W. Mich. NCHC
11. Riese Gaber-RW-N. Dakota NCHC
12. Daniil Vovchenko-LW-Severstal KHL
13. Taylor Gauthier-G-Portland WHL                                signed = Pittsburg Penguins
14. Strauss Mann – G – Skelleftea SHL
15. Ethen Frank-RW-W. Michigan NCHC
16. Marc McLaughlin – C – Western Michigan HE
17. Parker Ford-C-Providence HE

Players who could also be signed this offseason

Trenton Bliss-C-Michigan Tech WCHA
Corey Andonovski-RW-Princeton ECAC                      signed = Pittsburg Penguins
Jacob Bengtsson – LHD – Lake Superior State WCHA
Tye Kartye – C – Sault Ste. Marie OHL                         signed = Seattle Kraken
Henrik Rybinski – C – Seattle WHL                              signed = Washington Capitals
Nathan Staios – LHD – Hamilton OHL
Brandon Scanlin – D – Omaha – Some concerns about his skating.
Taylor Ward – RW – Omaha
Noah Philip – C – University of Alberta

Any diamonds?  💎  💎  💎 

Pittsburg seems to think so.

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Contrary to Chiarot, there‘s no real need to trade Lehkonen. His value is rising and if there‘s an offer you can’t refuse, great. Otherwise we can still qualify him and trade him next year. We don’t need to sign him long-term, let‘s just see what’s out there in terms of offers. 

Agreed. I am happy to have him back next season (or beyond). There is no impetus to move him. If an awesome offer comes along, yeah, we take it. If not, we keep him and we have a really good player for 2022-23.

Whatever the plan was before MSL stay the course.

This is an opportunity to change the make up / culture of the team

Do it

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/we-re-making-management-s-job-harder-says-forward-josh-anderson-as-trade-deadline-approaches-1.5815985

'We're making management's job harder', says forward Josh Anderson as trade deadline approaches

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Whatever the plan was before MSL stay the course.

This is an opportunity to change the make up / culture of the team

Agree. 

The fact they moved Toffoli makes me think they have a plan & will stay the course.  I dont think they will trade guys (Aside from Chiarot and any impending UFA) just to trade them, but I do think they will listen to all offers. I think HuGo has a clear idea of what they want this roster to look like & will move the guys regardless of the current streak or season.   At least i hope. 

Having said that, its entirely possible that guys they maybe werent sure about are guys that MSL has said he'd like them to keep but i suspect thats more like the Pitlicks and Kulaks of the world, not anyone really likely to get moved at the deadline anyway. 

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

There is going to some logjams real soon! Dvorak is really close Allen seems close too perhaps next week and even Price looks like he is on track finally! add Drouin to this and we have to move some folks! wonder who sits for Eddy tonight?

my guess kulak but i may be wrong

2 minutes ago, AH64 said:

Ok they must be wanting to shelter Eddy a bit until he gets into game shape.

32 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

There is going to some logjams real soon! Dvorak is really close Allen seems close too perhaps next week and even Price looks like he is on track finally! add Drouin to this and we have to move some folks! wonder who sits for Eddy tonight?

Well ,,,,Paquette was waived today.

Well, who do you want to see traded, and who should we keep.

I'd say trade all of them.

The reality is this team is another 5 or 6 or 7 years away from being competitive.

Watching that caliber of hockey is painful.

15 minutes ago, KRH said:

Well, who do you want to see traded, and who should we keep.

I'd say trade all of them.

The reality is this team is another 5 or 6 or 7 years away from being competitive.

Watching that caliber of hockey is painful.

We're not 5-7 years away. A good GM can turn around a team in 2-3 years. Why? The salary cap leads to more false parity. Teams that draft or trade well can't keep and pay everyone, so the talent gets redistributed across the league. And with the cap, more younger players end up playing key roles in the first few years of their careers, so you can re-tool 1/3 of your roster in 2-3 years just from prospects coming up. That said, they have a fair number of holes to address. They need a real 2C. They need another sniper. They need a goalie of the future. And they need two top 4 D men. It's a decent list. If they end up with a top 4 draft pick, they'll be able to address one of those holes that way.

As far as who we trade, this is my list of ideal departures:

- Savard

- Hoffman

- Gallagher

- Chiarot

- Armia

- Price

- Clague

- Perreault

- Paquette

I'd like to see what Dvorak and Drouin do under MSL before making a call on them, but they could both be shipped out too. I think if you were able to get rid of this bunch, you wouldn't need to dump Lehkonen, Edmundson, Petry, or Byron right away. But if you can't clean house, then you need to look at moving some others out for cap space.

• H_T_L locked this topic