The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

Interesting situation brewing in the NCAA.  Northeastern was knocked out of their own tournament and is waiting to see if they get into the NCAA tournament. They're officially the last bubble team and are hoping for Minnesota State to defeat underdog Bemidji State to get in. But if Bemidji State wins an automatic birth by winning their conference tournament, Minnesota State gets the last at-large bid instead and Northeastern gets knocked out. Well Minnesota State won in OT, but about 30-45 minutes later, the league got a new video angle that showed the puck never actually went in and just slid under the side of the moorings. So they've called the game back on, well after the championship trophy was awarded, the fans and refs had left, and the ice had been Zambonied.

So they're about to resume. If Bemidji wins instead now, Jordan Harris' college career is over. So this whole thing could play into whether Harris (and maybe Struble) come to sign with us in the next week or whether we have to wait another few weeks to see what happens. Craziness.

58 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Interesting situation brewing in the NCAA.  Northeastern was knocked out of their own tournament and is waiting to see if they get into the NCAA tournament. They're officially the last bubble team and are hoping for Minnesota State to defeat underdog Bemidji State to get in. But if Bemidji State wins an automatic birth by winning their conference tournament, Minnesota State gets the last at-large bid instead and Northeastern gets knocked out. Well Minnesota State won in OT, but about 30-45 minutes later, the league got a new video angle that showed the puck never actually went in and just slid under the side of the moorings. So they've called the game back on, well after the championship trophy was awarded, the fans and refs had left, and the ice had been Zambonied.

So they're about to resume. If Bemidji wins instead now, Jordan Harris' college career is over. So this whole thing could play into whether Harris (and maybe Struble) come to sign with us in the next week or whether we have to wait another few weeks to see what happens. Craziness.

Holey croley. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Did Minnesota State win? NCAA has score as 2-1 in OT

23 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Philippe Myers among the players on waivers today as Nashville seems to be wanting to clear cap space. He's a 25 year-old, 6'5" RHD making 2.55M for this year and next. Not that he's the optimal solution, but given the fact this is the position with the worst organizational depth and the fact the Habs have first claim to any waivers player, might they be interested? Rumors are that Philly would look to re-claim him if he makes it past the first few teams in the pecking order. Have to think Myers still has some value.

Anyone know if Myers was claimed or has made it through waivers yet?

16 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Anyone know if Myers was claimed or has made it through waivers yet?

Philippe Myers cleared per Frank Seravelli on twitter - interesting leafs signed a KHL goalie Harri Sateri and put Petr Mrazek $3.8M for 2 more years after this on waivers - only able to bury $1.125M in minors so they are giving up on him or hoping he rediscovers himself in the AHL 

4 minutes ago, claremont said:

Philippe Myers cleared per Frank Seravelli on twitter - interesting leafs signed a KHL goalie Harri Sateri and put Petr Mrazek $3.8M for 2 more years after this on waivers - only able to bury $1.125M in minors so they are giving up on him or hoping he rediscovers himself in the AHL 

They had to do something after their rookie sensation was shelled last night. Looks like the next coming of Price won't work out for them. NEXT,,,,:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Sounds like all their moves - waiving Mrazek and Clifford and trading Dermott - were simply to clear cap space to add Giordano and Blackwell. It doesn't sound like the Leafs will have much cap space to add another player of significance unless they clear even more salary.

Sounds like Edmonton also not pulling any strings on a goalie, so Habs may end up sitting on Allen.

27 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Sounds like all their moves - waiving Mrazek and Clifford and trading Dermott - were simply to clear cap space to add Giordano and Blackwell. It doesn't sound like the Leafs will have much cap space to add another player of significance unless they clear even more salary.

Sounds like Edmonton also not pulling any strings on a goalie, so Habs may end up sitting on Allen.

Without being sure of Price I'd say keep Allen

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I suspect ondrej Kase is on LTIR at $1.25M he looked concussed last night which would be his 6th documented concussion at the age of 25 - very scary 

Leafs cannot add much salary with term impacting next year as they only have $8.7m of cap room and need to contract 9 or more players - an interesting cap hell approach 

they like Florida have said the future is now with their young core as leafs only have a first, a mid third and a 7th for the 2023 draft 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:59 AM, claremont said:

I believe it will be end of 2023 because of: 1) Give Savard some chance with MSL to turn his season around as Douchecharm had a pretty negative effect on many players 2) A lot depends on if Petry is moved as we have no veteran D leadership beyond Edmundson 3) don't really need the cap relief of Savard for next year 4) The cap pain is much less for 2024 and beyond - at $383K, 2,283M, 1.083M and 1.083M  (4 years rather than your 6 above. 

Agreed, given how he played with TBL, I think there's at least a chance he could look okay on the 3rd pairing. I don't think that contract will ever look like great value, but if he could perform at a level worth even 50% of that contract it could still be preferable to a 2/3 buyout, especially until we have younger players ready to step in.

Basically, as you say, no need to rush a buyout, worst-case, it remains an option next summer and beyond.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

So with Kulak out and Savard rumored to be back in tonight, we're looking at what, this?

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Schueneman-Wideman

Eek.

LOL. Wideman could be gone too.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

So with Kulak out and Savard rumored to be back in tonight, we're looking at what, this?

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Schueneman-Wideman

Eek.

So the Tank is back on? Romanov carrying a boat anchor! 

It would have been nice to snag at least one more unprotected 1st in next years draft. I have a hard time imagining we’ll be anywhere near as bad next year as our record suggests we are this year. With Zuks and CC finally coming into their own, we’ll be lucky to pick inside the top 10. But who knows, maybe if we move Savard onto the top pair, that might give us a shot at Bedard :P

9 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

It would have been nice to snag at least one more unprotected 1st in next years draft. I have a hard time imagining we’ll be anywhere near as bad next year as our record suggests we are this year. With Zuks and CC finally coming into their own, we’ll be lucky to pick inside the top 10. But who knows, maybe if we move Savard onto the top pair, that might give us a shot at Bedard :P

I worry about the same thing and then what we night do in free agency. So many question marks. Price will have a lot to say about what happens next with how he plays and if he plays at the end of this season

25 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Agree. I dont think its a bad situation to be in though. I think were' going to be heaps better and much younger so its not the worst thing.  To start the season 2 years ago our best players were all under 20 or over 35.  Now most are within the 20-28 range so that's perfect for a team on the right path. 

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I worry about the same thing and then what we night do in free agency. So many question marks. Price will have a lot to say about what happens next with how he plays and if he plays at the end of this season

I hope Price comes back strong and we make the playoffs.

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree. I dont think its a bad situation to be in though. I think were' going to be heaps better and much younger so its not the worst thing.  To start the season 2 years ago our best players were all under 20 or over 35.  Now most are within the 20-28 range so that's perfect for a team on the right path. 

It all looks real good, no complaints from me that’s for sure. It’s funny though, I’m usually a bit of a contrarian, I don’t often like the idea of building around a generational talent (1st overt, hype-train type). But something about this Bedard kid, I was really hoping we’d have a shot at him next year. Not looking plausible anymore. What if… we convince Philly to trade their 1st for this year and next for our 1st this year? Hmm?

Just now, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

It all looks real good, no complaints from me that’s for sure. It’s funny though, I’m usually a bit of a contrarian, I don’t often like the idea of building around a generational talent (1st overt, hype-train type). But something about this Bedard kid, I was really hoping we’d have a shot at him next year. Not looking plausible anymore. What if… we convince Philly to trade their 1st for this year and next for our 1st this year? Hmm?

The first 3 choices in next year's draft are all thought to be elite talent who can change your line-up. All 3 are supposed to be better than Wright. The top end of the 2023 draft is thought to be so special that most scouts believe it'll have a ripple effect down the draft (ie at 15 you'll get a guy you would ordinarily get at 10, at 25 you'll get a guy you would ordinarily get at 15, etc.). I wouldn't trade a top 3 pick this year for a random pick next year, you risk falling out of the top 10 altogether. But I'd certainly trade assets for unprotected 1st rounders next year, especially if they're teams that could slide. Boston could slide next year without Bergeron. Pittsburgh could lose Malkin or Letang or both. Dallas has an old core. Edmonton is always a crapshoot. Calgary could lose Gaudreau. Nashville could lose Forsberg. Toronto's cap is a mess and they have no goaltending. There are teams out there that could take a tumble and think they're going to be better than they will be. So if someone wants Allen or Price or Petry or Gallagher or Drouin or Dvorak and is willing to build a package around one of those players in exchange for an unprotected 1st, that's something we should jump on.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The first 3 choices in next year's draft are all thought to be elite talent who can change your line-up. All 3 are supposed to be better than Wright. The top end of the 2023 draft is thought to be so special that most scouts believe it'll have a ripple effect down the draft (ie at 15 you'll get a guy you would ordinarily get at 10, at 25 you'll get a guy you would ordinarily get at 15, etc.). I wouldn't trade a top 3 pick this year for a random pick next year, you risk falling out of the top 10 altogether. But I'd certainly trade assets for unprotected 1st rounders next year, especially if they're teams that could slide. Boston could slide next year without Bergeron. Pittsburgh could lose Malkin or Letang or both. Dallas has an old core. Edmonton is always a crapshoot. Calgary could lose Gaudreau. Nashville could lose Forsberg. Toronto's cap is a mess and they have no goaltending. There are teams out there that could take a tumble and think they're going to be better than they will be. So if someone wants Allen or Price or Petry or Gallagher or Drouin or Dvorak and is willing to build a package around one of those players in exchange for an unprotected 1st, that's something we should jump on.

agreed, but can't we just suck for one more year. You can't call it a rebuild if you didn't head into at least one season basically trying to lose.

But I also get it, its a complex situation with a lot of moving parts

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

agreed, but can't we just suck for one more year. You can't call it a rebuild if you didn't head into at least one season basically trying to lose.

But I also get it, its a complex situation with a lot of moving parts

Oh I'm with you on this to some degree. The difference is that I wouldn't purposely try to suck. I would purposely try to re-build, with a plan to be good in 2-3 years. In other words, if you're not a player who is going to be helping us in 2023-24 and 2024-25, I'm not playing you just to be good now. I would rather give ice time and opportunity to younger players and see where we can get. If they're already good and ready to compete, so be it. If they're not, then you have given them a year of experience and you end up with your top 10 pick.

In this regard, I'd be keeping Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson as three of my top 6 forwards. Ylonen would also be in my top 9. Poehling, Pitlick, and Evans would still be on the team here in the bottom 6. I'd also likely keep Byron around as a veteran. He doesn't take a ton of ice time away from the younger guys and he could be dealt at the deadline next year if need be. I'd also potentially keep Armia if we can get rid of some other contracts, as he's a big body to help to shelter the kids too. If we end up with Wright, Cooley, or Slafkovsky in the the draft, I think all three of those guys might be ready to step in right away next season on the 2nd line. And I'd be leaving room for a player like RHP or Pezzetta to make the squad in the bottom 6 too as an energy guy. Where I think we need to move is dispatching some of the veterans who aren't really on-ice leaders. The jury is still out on whether Dvorak can have success here, but regardless of his level of play, he doesn't really have the attitude I'd want around a younger core. Hoffman likewise isn't a model citizen of how to play defence. And Drouin is a guy who I don't see re-signing after 2022-23, so he'd also be out the door. Gallagher is a player who could remain here as a leader, but he's also making a pretty penny to not score 30 goals. We might be forced to eat that contract, so we'll see.

On D is where I'd be more drastic. Romanov is clearly a guy we're grooming to be a top 4 defenceman next season. I think Edmundson probably stays as a veteran anchor back there too. But I think there's at least two rookies who need to be in your line-up next year. We can debate who that will be and I think you need to leave room for someone to win a job, but Harris by all accounts is the most pro-ready of our prospects if he signs. And Barron being a righty will have an easier path to a job opening. We may also well be stuck with Savard if we don't buy out his contract or bury him and again, for one more non-competitive year, we deal with it. If enough rookies pass him on the depth chart, he slides down. Schueneman may be a player who fills out your bottom pairing and gives you time to develop others, and if one of the above doesn't happen as planned, you have options like Guhle, Struble, Norlinder, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, and Brook to try. It should be a year for giving guys opportunity so you can figure out who is where in their development and what they can do.

In net, you have to trade at least one of Price or Allen. Again, ideally if Price is healthy, he's out. It's just hard to support that salary as well as the risk of him getting re-injured again. I think we're going into next year with Allen and Monty or Allen and Primeau or Price and Monty, or we're trading out everyone and bringing in someone like Samsonov or Georgiev or so on to start afresh.

All that to say that I think we should go into 2022-23 with a line-up along the lines of

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

XXX-XXX-Ylonen (where one spot could be filled by your top 3 pick)

Pitlick-Poehling-Armia

Byron-Evans-RHP

Pezzetta

Romanov-Harris

Edmundson-Barron

Schueneman-Savard

Fairbrother

Price or Allen

Montembeault or Primeau

Suzuki would be my captain. Byron, Anderson, and Edmundson would rotate the A's. Ultimately, it's not a team I see making the playoffs but it's a team that gives guys roles they should be groomed in, doesn't wipe out all the veterans, but largely gives the younger guys a chance to play and develop. Over the season, I think you likely try to get Guhle and Norlinder some games. I think you maybe try to get Mysak and Heineman some games. And if as I said, at the end of the day, you do better than you think, then your re-build is faster. If you're a developmental year, you have a lottery pick to show for it. And along the way, I think we can try to get assets for the likes of Petry, Gallagher, Dvorak, and Drouin among others. If we need to keep 1-2 along the way, not the end of the world. I have confidence MSL will still find a way to get the younger skilled guys reps.

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Oh I'm with you on this to some degree. The difference is that I wouldn't purposely try to suck. I would purposely try to re-build, with a plan to be good in 2-3 years. In other words, if you're not a player who is going to be helping us in 2023-24 and 2024-25, I'm not playing you just to be good now. I would rather give ice time and opportunity to younger players and see where we can get. If they're already good and ready to compete, so be it. If they're not, then you have given them a year of experience and you end up with your top 10 pick.

In this regard, I'd be keeping Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson as three of my top 6 forwards. Ylonen would also be in my top 9. Poehling, Pitlick, and Evans would still be on the team here in the bottom 6. I'd also likely keep Byron around as a veteran. He doesn't take a ton of ice time away from the younger guys and he could be dealt at the deadline next year if need be. I'd also potentially keep Armia if we can get rid of some other contracts, as he's a big body to help to shelter the kids too. If we end up with Wright, Cooley, or Slafkovsky in the the draft, I think all three of those guys might be ready to step in right away next season on the 2nd line. And I'd be leaving room for a player like RHP or Pezzetta to make the squad in the bottom 6 too as an energy guy. Where I think we need to move is dispatching some of the veterans who aren't really on-ice leaders. The jury is still out on whether Dvorak can have success here, but regardless of his level of play, he doesn't really have the attitude I'd want around a younger core. Hoffman likewise isn't a model citizen of how to play defence. And Drouin is a guy who I don't see re-signing after 2022-23, so he'd also be out the door. Gallagher is a player who could remain here as a leader, but he's also making a pretty penny to not score 30 goals. We might be forced to eat that contract, so we'll see.

On D is where I'd be more drastic. Romanov is clearly a guy we're grooming to be a top 4 defenceman next season. I think Edmundson probably stays as a veteran anchor back there too. But I think there's at least two rookies who need to be in your line-up next year. We can debate who that will be and I think you need to leave room for someone to win a job, but Harris by all accounts is the most pro-ready of our prospects if he signs. And Barron being a righty will have an easier path to a job opening. We may also well be stuck with Savard if we don't buy out his contract or bury him and again, for one more non-competitive year, we deal with it. If enough rookies pass him on the depth chart, he slides down. Schueneman may be a player who fills out your bottom pairing and gives you time to develop others, and if one of the above doesn't happen as planned, you have options like Guhle, Struble, Norlinder, Mailloux, Xhekaj, Fairbrother, and Brook to try. It should be a year for giving guys opportunity so you can figure out who is where in their development and what they can do.

In net, you have to trade at least one of Price or Allen. Again, ideally if Price is healthy, he's out. It's just hard to support that salary as well as the risk of him getting re-injured again. I think we're going into next year with Allen and Monty or Allen and Primeau or Price and Monty, or we're trading out everyone and bringing in someone like Samsonov or Georgiev or so on to start afresh.

All that to say that I think we should go into 2022-23 with a line-up along the lines of

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Pitlick-Poehling-Armia

Byron-Evans-RHP

Pezzetta

Romanov-Harris

Edmundson-Barron

Schueneman-Savard

Fairbrother

Price or Allen

Montembeault or Primeau

Suzuki would be my captain. Byron, Anderson, and Edmundson would rotate the A's. Ultimately, it's not a team I see making the playoffs but it's a team that gives guys roles they should be groomed in, doesn't wipe out all the veterans, but largely gives the younger guys a chance to play and develop. Over the season, I think you likely try to get Guhle and Norlinder some games. I think you maybe try to get Mysak and Heineman some games. And if as I said, at the end of the day, you do better than you think, then your re-build is faster. If you're a developmental year, you have a lottery pick to show for it. And along the way, I think we can try to get assets for the likes of Petry, Gallagher, Dvorak, and Drouin among others. If we need to keep 1-2 along the way, not the end of the world. I have confidence MSL will still find a way to get the younger skilled guys reps.

yeah all good thoughts and I agree. I definitely don't want to bring up whoever we draft next year though. I want them to develop another year. 

I wouldn't be surprised is both Price and Allen are here next year. I don't think Price can be moved, and Allen may fetch more for us at the deadline. 

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah all good thoughts and I agree. I definitely don't want to bring up whoever we draft next year though. I want them to develop another year. 

I wouldn't be surprised is both Price and Allen are here next year. I don't think Price can be moved, and Allen may fetch more for us at the deadline. 

1. I think Price can be moved. We might need to eat some of the salary, which is problematic given the term, but if we do, it could open up cap space.

2. As for our top pick, let's say it's Wright. He's not eligible to play in the AHL, so what's better for his development? Is it playing another year in junior or is it playing in the NHL for St. Louis? Or let's say it's Slafkovksy. He's already been playing in a men's league and he dominated at the Olympics too. He's physically mature. I think the next step is for him to get used to playing the NHL. I think we'll see at least 3 players from next year's draft play in the NHL next season. I don't think it's a matter of one size fits all for where players should go. If they're mature, physically able to compete, and going to be played in a role that suits their skillset and allows them to develop, I think you keep them here. I don't think you start a Kotkaniemi here and play him sparingly on the 4th line. That doesn't help him. But if you're going to give a Wright or Cooley or Slafkovsky 15-16 minutes a night on a 2nd line with offensive linemates and protected zone starts and PP time, I'm all for it. I think MSL will handle that situation well.

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson

Pitlick-Poehling-Armia

Byron-Evans-RHP

Pezzetta

Romanov-Harris

Edmundson-Barron

Schueneman-Savard

Fairbrother

Price or Allen

Montembeault or Primeau

I am in agreement with most of your thoughts but here is where I differ

1) You have Jordan Harris playing RHD his opposite side to Romanov - EVERY game tape I watch of Harris at NE, he plays his left. I don't think the transition to wrong side D is as easy as you think. If anything Romanov has far more game experience playing the right side, and for that matter so does Kaiden Guhle.

2) You state that Harris is the more pro ready prospect. I would say you are doing a disservice to Barron (who has pro experience with AHL Colorado). I also believe Kaiden Guhle is more pro ready than Harris in that he can play the right side, and has played extended seasons with more games than Harris. Kaiden has played 65, 64 and this year will play likely 50+ games. The most Harris has ever played is 38 -40 games. Guhle is used to a longer season and likely more mentally prepared for that rigor. 

3) Braden Scheider was drafted behind Guhle. Out of development choice or necessity, Schneider was less prolific than Guhle yet Braden has stepped into the NYR lineup fairly adequately. The habs felt that Guhle was better served continuing in junior. By Schneider comparison, Guhle should be pro ready. 

4) The NCAA defencemen that have been NHL Pro ready in recent years Miller, Makar, Hughes etc, these were all first round draft choices way ahead of Harris in the development curve. I have yet to see a 2nd or 3rd round NCAA player be pro ready immediately after their NCAA development , other than Adam Fox - Maybe Mario Ferraro, but not Ian Mitchell or Mattias Samuelsson. I am not at all anti-Jordan Harris, just you may expect too much of him vs. Guhle. If you look at the World Juniors Canada success - most of their roster is comprised of junior league D-men whereas the USA is mostly NCAA d-men - with the exception of 1 year, which team has dominated?

5) My D next year, the left side is crowded with Romanov, Edmundson, Guhle, Harris and even Norlinder, and the right side assuming Petry still here is Petry, Barron, Savard. If Petry is moved, one has to think Letang is a replacement target.  With Guhle's RHD flexibility, he should at least be the 7th d-man, as I doubt Romanov will be moved to the RHD side. Fairbrother does not make the grade, and Schueneman or Clague are insurance. I am uncertain that we need to resign Wideman. Still big ?'s on RHD Josh Brook who has not yet returned to the Laval lineup

6) How does Heineman get any time next year? Thought he's under Swedish contract for next 2 years - is that breakable?

7) I like your forward lines. Mysak has shown further progression this year, so maybe he gets a call-up trial. Joshua Roy is a big question mark as to return to junior, as he will only be 19 on Sept 15/22 and I understand post-COVID that you have to be 20 years old to play in the AHL.  RHP deserves a good look. Hoffman will be a very difficult to move contract. Dvorak - your comments are spot on. I hope Drouin rebounds so we get assets for him.  I am not convinced out 2022 top draft pick steps into this line-up. Lafraniere was hyped up and he was adequate in his first year - I see the HuGO / MSL taking a more patient development approach. 

8) Price's contract is difficult to move. Allen provides stability but I think he is moved at some point - either off season or pre-trade deadline. If there is any position where we want our "development rebuild / reset"  team to be stable, IMO it should be in net. Mgmt. faces a difficult choice in RFA Monty vs Primeau. Prospect G Joe Vrbetic turns pro - Does Jakub Dobes leave Ohio State after 1 year? 

My belief is that with all the horrible injuries this year, the terrible coaching of Ducharme, that this lineup is better than it has performed. Top 4 in the division will be very tough and I don't believe it is attainable but we will be much more competitive - I see this team 5th or 6th in the division finishing 18th - 24th in the league

• H_T_L locked this topic