The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

I definitely understand wanting to name Price but I would never name a goalie, and I don't even know if Price is going to be here very long. And none of us have any idea what kind of goaltender we're going to get back and for how long. 

Technically though, a goalie cannot be a captain. Luongo was a captain but only wore a C on his helmet. I don't think he was officially listed as captain

27 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I definitely understand wanting to name Price but I would never name a goalie, and I don't even know if Price is going to be here very long. And none of us have any idea what kind of goaltender we're going to get back and for how long. 

Technically though, a goalie cannot be a captain. Luongo was a captain but only wore a C on his helmet. I don't think he was officially listed as captain

Yeah I was not sure if a goalie could be captain, I remember a long time ago it used to be allowed but thought they had changed that rule.

54 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I would agree. I don't think it would be a good idea to name Price. While his rehabilitation appears to be going well, it's possible his career may end in the next 1-2 seasons. Someone just tossed out Byron's name. He's another possibility... I'm not a huge fan of going in that direction, but it's a possibility.

I expect it will be Gallagher or Suzuki. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Hughes' plans for Gallagher are.

57 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, regardless of how long he plays, I would bet dollars for donuts HuGo are exploring the possibility of moving him.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Someone just tossed out Byron's name. He's another possibility... I'm not a huge fan of going in that direction, but it's a possibility.

Someone? thats all i am to you now?? :4224:

I agree that Byron (or Edmundson) arent ideal but i think if we went that way it would specifically be because we wanted a bridge captain.  Maybe they dont like Suzuki for the role (cant see why not) and maybe, if we draft say, Wright, he's the guy they want as captain but they want to wait a couple of years - then a guy like Byron is perfect. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Someone? thats all i am to you now?? :4224:

I agree that Byron (or Edmundson) arent ideal but i think if we went that way it would specifically be because we wanted a bridge captain.  Maybe they dont like Suzuki for the role (cant see why not) and maybe, if we draft say, Wright, he's the guy they want as captain but they want to wait a couple of years - then a guy like Byron is perfect. 

SORRRRRYYYYY! I am technically supposed to be "working" and didn't look back through the messages. Forgive me? :ph34r:

Weber's keeping himself busy ( from Feb 2022 )

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2022/02/24/predators-retire-first-jersey-in-franchise-history-pekka-rinnes-35/

The Nashville Predators retired jersey number 35 on Thursday, honoring the career of Pekka Rinne.

While plenty of noteworthy players donned Predators jerseys over the years — some of whom were on hand, including Shea Weber 

I can’t realistically see us having a captain other than Suzuki - the team needs to turn a page to the youth movement and this would be the first step. 

I like Gally and what he brings but I’m not sure despite his contract that he’s part of the long term core 

Top European, College and Junior free agents updated as per Corey Pronman of The Athletic: Ranking the top European, College and Junior free agents.

Projected NHL Players

1. Andrei Kuzmenko – LW – SKA KHL                (could be complicated signing)
  2. Ben Meyers – C –Minnesota                           after frozen Four (Detroit, Minnesota & Philadelphia)

A chance to play in the NHL

3. Jake Livingstone – RHD – Minnesota State NCHA
  4. Bobby Trivigno – LW –UMass HE          signed NY Rangers
  5 Sergei Tolchinsky-LW-Avangard  KHL               (could be complicated signing)
  6. Niko Ojamaki – RW – Podolsk  KHL                (could be complicated signing)
  7. Jordan Fransca – C – Kingston OHL                 signed = Pittsburg Penguins
  8. Max Veronneau-RW – Leksands SHL               SHL through the 2022-23 season
  9. Bennett MacArthur – LW – Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL  signed = TB Lightening
10. Brandon Bussi-G-W. Mich. NCHC                       signed = Boston Bruins
11. Riese Gaber-RW-N. Dakota NCHC                     staying in school
12. Daniil Vovchenko-LW-Severstal KHL                (could be complicated signing)
13. Taylor Gauthier-G-Portland WHL                  signed = Pittsburg Penguins
14. Strauss Mann – G – Skelleftea SHL
15. Ethen Frank-RW-W. Michigan NCHC
16. Marc McLaughlin – C – Western Michigan HE  signed = Boston Bruins
17. Parker Ford-C-Providence HE

Players who could also be signed this offseason

Trenton Bliss-C-Michigan Tech WCHA                signed AHL contract = Detroit Red Wings
Corey Andonovski-RW-Princeton ECAC           signed = Pittsburg Penguins
Jacob Bengtsson – LHD – Lake Superior State WCHA
Tye Kartye – C – Sault Ste. Marie OHL           signed = Seattle Kraken
Henrik Rybinski – C – Seattle WHL      signed = Washington Capitals
Nathan Staios – LHD – Hamilton OHL
Brandon Scanlin – D – Omaha                           signed = NY Rangers
Taylor Ward – RW – Omaha                              signed = L.A. Kings
Noah Philip – C – University of Alberta              signed = Edmonton Oilers

The NHL notified the KHL that it has severed all ties and communication with Russia’s top hockey league. The NHL advised teams to “immediately cease all dealings [direct or indirect] with the KHL and KHL Clubs [and all representatives of both], as well as with player agents who are based in and continue to do business in Russia.” This will impact, among other things, the ability of NHL teams to sign Russian free agents.  Frank Seravalli described the situation like this: “In order to sign a player from the KHL, the interested NHL team must inquire with Central Registry to inquire if the last information available from the KHL demonstrates that the player is on an expiring KHL contract, and teams must produce “independent written evidence demonstrating that the player is entirely free of any and all potentially conflicting contractual obligations in the KHL for 2022-23 and beyond.”

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Chris Wideman leading the Montreal D in points. Games:56    Goals:4    Assists:21    TP25     Did anyone see that coming? Next closest D would be Jeff Petry, with 16 points.

I know I did not but I am happy for him, he has done a really good job and he has gotten better as the year progressed.

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

Chris Wideman leading the Montreal D in points. Games:56    Goals:4    Assists:21    TP25     Did anyone see that coming? Next closest D would be Jeff Petry, with 16 points.

I didn't think he would lead the team but I thought he would put up 15-20 points. He had something to prove coming into the year and he is exceeding expectations in his return. I wouldn't mind resigning him but the term can't be more than 2 years and the cap hit can't be over 1.5 mil.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I didn't think he would lead the team but I thought he would put up 15-20 points. He had something to prove coming into the year and he is exceeding expectations in his return. I wouldn't mind resigning him but the term can't be more than 2 years and the cap hit can't be over 1.5 mil.

A lot of dependencies on resigning Wideman - does Petry stay, Barron is definitely taking one of the RHD spots, Savard the other, do we go after Letang, can one of the other kids play the RHD side - Harris or Guhle etc. My guess is Wideman tests free agency but I’m not torn apart if we lose him and concur on a minimal term contract at about $1.5M 

48 minutes ago, claremont said:

A lot of dependencies on resigning Wideman - does Petry stay, Barron is definitely taking one of the RHD spots, Savard the other, do we go after Letang, can one of the other kids play the RHD side - Harris or Guhle etc. My guess is Wideman tests free agency but I’m not torn apart if we lose him and concur on a minimal term contract at about $1.5M 

Yeah IMO you only resign Wideman as a 7th D unless you plan on moving Savard. Barron most definitely stays in the top 4 and hopefully we can either keep Petry or get a top pairing RD in FA (and it not cost an arm and a leg)

56 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wideman re-signing. I wonder.

I suppose it could be a good move, but I imagine he'll want to test free agency since he's coming off a decently productive season. Might be his last shot at getting a multi-year, well-paying contract in the NHL.

I agree, he needs to set himself up for the future and he could get a fair deal to help when he retires will it be with us? My hope is we get rid of Petry he is good but I don't think he wants to be here and that is not great moving forward with all the kids we will have! Perhaps we sign a good vet to help Eddy bring the kids along.

36 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree, he needs to set himself up for the future and he could get a fair deal to help when he retires will it be with us? My hope is we get rid of Petry he is good but I don't think he wants to be here and that is not great moving forward with all the kids we will have! Perhaps we sign a good vet to help Eddy bring the kids along.

Yeah, I imagine Wideman ends up somewhere else. If I were him I would be trying to get a 2-3 year deal in the $2.5M per season range. I don't think we can offer that to him. Or, well... We could... I'm just not sure we should.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wideman re-signing. I wonder.

I suppose it could be a good move, but I imagine he'll want to test free agency since he's coming off a decently productive season. Might be his last shot at getting a multi-year, well-paying contract in the NHL.

Agree.

I have zero problem resigning him for a 1 (or even 2) year deal at a $1m or so price tag.  However, I would assume there's a team out there that would give him 2 or maybe even 3 years at $2m+ and that just doesnt make sense for us imho.   On the flip side, its entirely possibly no one wants him. You have to think HuGo made him available at the TD since he was an impending free agent. 

On 4/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, Regis22 said:

Im not in favor of Gallagher .

https://dailyhive.com/montreal/canadiens-next-captain-suzuki-2022-habs

Who will don the C?: 5 realistic Canadiens captain candidates for next year

Yeah, as I've mentioned before, I think Gallagher would be the wrong choice because he can be hot headed & clearly isnt a favourite of the refs.

I think Suzuki makes the most sense but I could see Anderson (we have no idea how these guys are see in the room or how vocal they are etc).   If they want a 'short term" solution then yes, Edmundson or Byron both make sense. I dont think we need a short term guy but if, for example, we draft someone like Shayne Wright, maybe management isnt sure who would make the best captain: Wright, Suzuki etc. even a guy like Harris or Fairbrother or Guhle might be future captain material & they think that keep our options open by using a vet for a couple of years is the right move. 

I think its unlikely we would bring in a player via UFA and then make him captain but i guess you never know. 

• H_T_L locked this topic