Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

There was a clip of  our PP from Sat. night, showing Hoffman at the center of the blue line , with players in front of the goalie, and CC in the clear in the circle. Hoffman shoots the puck, and it's deflected. The clip showed CC skating off disgusted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

There was a clip of  our PP from Sat. night, showing Hoffman at the center of the blue line , with players in front of the goalie, and CC in the clear in the circle. Hoffman shoots the puck, and it's deflected. The clip showed CC skating off disgusted. 

Hoffman seems like he is jealous of Cole and wants to be the "guy" on the PP. Really is not a team player and needs to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

There was a clip of  our PP from Sat. night, showing Hoffman at the center of the blue line , with players in front of the goalie, and CC in the clear in the circle. Hoffman shoots the puck, and it's deflected. The clip showed CC skating off disgusted. 

Probably from the final PP at the end of game, where Caufield was wide open and ready for the one-timer but Hoffman went for a low-percentage shot with 4 players lined up right in front of him.

 

 

caufiedl.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/11/2022 at 7:21 PM, kinot-2 said:

There was a clip of  our PP from Sat. night, showing Hoffman at the center of the blue line , with players in front of the goalie, and CC in the clear in the circle. Hoffman shoots the puck, and it's deflected. The clip showed CC skating off disgusted. 

Really wish MB didn't sign Hoffman. Nothing against Hoffman, but MB's off-season signings all felt like he truly believed we were a Cup contender because of our fluke run. He then went out and made a bunch of terrible signings that hurt us this season and will hurt us into the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Really wish MB didn't sign Hoffman. Nothing against Hoffman, but MB's off-season signings all felt like he truly believed we were a Cup contender because of our fluke run. He then went out and made a bunch of terrible signings that hurt us this season and will hurt us into the future.

Virtually all his signings were bad:

- Hoffman: one-dimensional player who hasn't helped the PP, has bad possession numbers, and has bad hockey sense as a puck distributor, in addition to having had some issues with teammates in junior and being questioned for his commitment to team outcomes. Not worth the contract they gave him.

- Savard: without a doubt better under MSL, but still a 3rd-pairing D man in general and has some of the worst metrics on the team. Is he providing something we couldn't be getting from Schueneman, Harris, Guhle, Romanov, or another less-paid individual. He also needs to be protected by a better puck-moving partner, because he was awful playing with a guy like Chiarot.

- Perreault: tire fire

- Paquette; garbage

- Montembeault: some flashes where he makes nice saves but lots of mistakes and a sub .900 save percentage doesn't cut it, not even as a back-up. Not NHL-quality on a winning team.

- Dvorak wasn't a signing but he was acquired and like others, he's done better under MSL. However, is he a top 6 center? Not really. Did we pay a trade premium like he was a 2C? We did. I'd rather have the 1st and 2nd round picks back. He's a guy who might have been worth signing as a free agent but isn't worth what we gave up. Would rather have spent that draft capital elsewhere.

- Wideman of all people was the one free agent that has panned out better than predicted, and he's doing that in sheltered minutes with lots of PP time. Definitely worth his contract but hard to argue he's a game-changer in any respect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, BigTed3 said:

- Savard: without a doubt better under MSL, but still a 3rd-pairing D man in general and has some of the worst metrics on the team. Is he providing something we couldn't be getting from Schueneman, Harris, Guhle, Romanov, or another less-paid individual. He also needs to be protected by a better puck-moving partner, because he was awful playing with a guy like Chiarot.

Agree about Hoffman, Perreault & Paquette.  I also agree about Savard although if he can give us what he's been giving under MSL as a #4-6 I think he might be close to living up to his contract.  What really shocks me is that we still have the same Defensive coach (Richardson) so was it that DD and/or MB micromanaged?   

 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, BigTed3 said:

-Montembeault: some flashes where he makes nice saves but lots of mistakes and a sub .900 save percentage doesn't cut it, not even as a back-up. Not NHL-quality on a winning team.

Monty was an out-of-left-field move so i suspect that Burke & Raymond were the ones that wanted him.  I think with a sound defense in front of him he might be a late bloomer capable backup but in this case it was more just needing a body. I doubt we'll resign him, i dont have a problem with MB filling a slot with him. 

 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, BigTed3 said:

- Dvorak wasn't a signing but he was acquired and like others, he's done better under MSL. However, is he a top 6 center? Not really. Did we pay a trade premium like he was a 2C? We did. I'd rather have the 1st and 2nd round picks back. He's a guy who might have been worth signing as a free agent but isn't worth what we gave up. Would rather have spent that draft capital elsewhere.

Agree with all of this. I like him as a player & i still wouldnt be suprised to see him have a career year one of these seasons & put up 60 points but you're never going to get that out of him consistently.  As you said, i wouldnt have minded signing him (and the term is fine too) but trading those assets for him, sting. I dont think MB thought in a million years we'd be a lottery team this year even though the writing was on the wall.

 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:49 AM, BigTed3 said:

- Wideman of all people was the one free agent that has panned out better than predicted, and he's doing that in sheltered minutes with lots of PP time. Definitely worth his contract but hard to argue he's a game-changer in any respect.

Yep.  Def. MB's best signing but as you mentioned, pretty minor impact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Habs have signed goaltender Jaret Hlapuk to a two-year entry-level contract from Jacksonville State (NCAA). Not sure why we need more goalies. I think this puts us at 50 contracts  unless it starts next year. Haven't heard much about this guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Habs have signed goaltender Jaret Hlapuk to a two-year entry-level contract from Jacksonville State (NCAA). Not sure why we need more goalies

Maybe new management  doesnt think as highly of Primeau as the fans 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Maybe new management  doesnt think as highly of Primeau as the fans 

Primeau had a brief string of 8 nhl games under Ducharme from Jan 17 to Feb 10 with no wins and basically s$$t the bed. He’s played well in Laval but I suspect HuGo saw enough tape or reports to likely cut him loose and give him a chance elsewhere a la McNiven 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

Habs have signed goaltender Jaret Hlapuk to a two-year entry-level contract from Jacksonville State (NCAA). Not sure why we need more goalies. I think this puts us at 50 contracts  unless it starts next year. Haven't heard much about this guy.

Probably,  because it's bogus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 4:32 AM, ChiLla said:

Probably from the final PP at the end of game, where Caufield was wide open and ready for the one-timer but Hoffman went for a low-percentage shot with 4 players lined up right in front of him.

 

 

caufiedl.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Going to guess Price plays 5 of the last 6. I think Monty will get Ottawa (or alternatively Boston, though I think Price would prefer to play the home game against the bigger rival).

Probably shouldn't make a difference in the outcomes. Best chance for points I see, are maybe 3. Philadelphia & Ottawa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top European, College and Junior free agents updated as per Corey Pronman of The Athletic

Projected NHL Players

  1. Andrei Kuzmenko – LW – SKA KHL                           (could be complicated signing)
  2. Ben Meyers – C –Minnesota                                      signed = Colorado Avalanche - scored first career NHL goal tonight

A chance to play in the NHL

  3. Jake Livingstone – RHD – Minnesota State NCHA
  4. Bobby Trivigno – LW –UMass HE                              signed NY Rangers
  5 Sergei Tolchinsky-LW-Avangard  KHL                          (could be complicated signing)
  6. Niko Ojamaki – RW – Podolsk  KHL                            (could be complicated signing)
  7. Jordan Fransca – C – Kingston OHL                          signed = Pittsburg Penguins
  8. Max Veronneau-RW – Leksands SHL                         signed  =  San Jose Sharks
  9. Bennett MacArthur – LW – Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL  signed = TB Lightening
10. Brandon Bussi-G-W. Mich. NCHC                              signed = Boston Bruins
11. Riese Gaber-RW-N. Dakota NCHC                              staying in school
12. Daniil Vovchenko-LW-Severstal KHL                            (could be complicated signing)
13. Taylor Gauthier-G-Portland WHL                                signed = Pittsburg Penguins
14. Strauss Mann – G – Skelleftea SHL
15. Ethen Frank-RW-W. Michigan NCHC                          signed  =  Hershey Bears
16. Marc McLaughlin – C – Western Michigan HE           signed = Boston Bruins
17. Parker Ford-C-Providence HE

Players who could also be signed this offseason

Trenton Bliss-C-Michigan Tech WCHA                             signed AHL contract = Detroit Red Wings
Corey Andonovski-RW-Princeton ECAC                         signed = Pittsburg Penguins
Jacob Bengtsson – LHD – Lake Superior State WCHA
Tye Kartye – C – Sault Ste. Marie OHL                             signed = Seattle Kraken
Henrik Rybinski – C – Seattle WHL                                  signed = Washington Capitals
Nathan Staios – LHD – Hamilton OHL
Brandon Scanlin – D – Omaha                                         signed = NY Rangers
Taylor Ward – RW – Omaha                                              signed = L.A. Kings
Noah Philip – C – University of Alberta                             signed = Edmonton Oilers

No KHL players signed yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are going to have to figure out how we want our D corps to look for next season and I hope we get a full season of Price and Allen as Monty is just too streaky and I think Primeau is a dud. up front I would like to see us weed out some of the vets who are floating right now I think it would be better to get another youngster or two in for them to develop quicker! The rest of this season is going to be tough with the vets floating and the teams getting ready for the playoffs it will be tough to get a win!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

We are going to have to figure out how we want our D corps to look for next season and I hope we get a full season of Price and Allen as Monty is just too streaky and I think Primeau is a dud. up front I would like to see us weed out some of the vets who are floating right now I think it would be better to get another youngster or two in for them to develop quicker! The rest of this season is going to be tough with the vets floating and the teams getting ready for the playoffs it will be tough to get a win!

Montembeault is not NHL-quality. You have to be able to put up at least a .900 save percentage minimum, and as you said, he's too streaky. Primeau might get there but he's running out of time to show progress at the NHL level. So yeah, we're relying on having at least one and hopefully both of our veterans stay healthy. And that's if they're not traded. I still think HuGo makes a play for another goalie, as we saw them take looks at Samsonov and Georgiev this year.

On D, I think Edmundson and Romanov are locks to be on the left side and Harris is a guy who has a strong edge to make the team over other youngsters. The question marks are whether Petry stays, whether we add someone like Letang, whether we can dump Savard, whether we re-sign Wideman, and whether another youngsters like Barron, Guhle, Norlinder, Schueneman, etc can make a push. Ultimately, we've seen Schueneman regress over the last few games and we're still short top-end players. I think the D corps is the rate-limiting step to how we do next year. If we don't make a major add or two, then it's another re-building/developmental year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

On D, I think Edmundson and Romanov are locks to be on the left side and Harris is a guy who has a strong edge to make the team over other youngsters. The question marks are whether Petry stays, whether we add someone like Letang, whether we can dump Savard, whether we re-sign Wideman, and whether another youngsters like Barron, Guhle, Norlinder, Schueneman, etc can make a push. Ultimately, we've seen Schueneman regress over the last few games and we're still short top-end players. I think the D corps is the rate-limiting step to how we do next year. If we don't make a major add or two, then it's another re-building/developmental year.

I’ll state again that I’ll be surprised if Guhle doesn’t make the roster next year - Kaiden currently injured won’t have much off season rest as the Oil Kings are poised for a memorial cup run if they get past the Winnipeg Ice. Then he will play Aug 9-20 th in the world juniors. He’s close to the same age as Justin Barron who was drafted 9 spots behind Guhle. 
I could see a youth movement of left side - Edmundson, Romanov, Harris and Right side two of (Savard / Petry free agent such as Letang) and  Barron - Guhle would be carried as the 7th and or Scheneman. One could argue that Guhle could develop more in Laval but As a highly touted top draft pick, I don’t see him there if at all for very long. 
I see no need to resign Wideman. I think Josh Brook is done - played 6 games with Laval , 6 games in the ECHL with only 1 goal there. 
D will be a concern next year for sure, but so will our ability to put the puck in the net 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, claremont said:

I’ll state again that I’ll be surprised if Guhle doesn’t make the roster next year - Kaiden currently injured won’t have much off season rest as the Oil Kings are poised for a memorial cup run if they get past the Winnipeg Ice. Then he will play Aug 9-20 th in the world juniors. He’s close to the same age as Justin Barron who was drafted 9 spots behind Guhle. 
I could see a youth movement of left side - Edmundson, Romanov, Harris and Right side two of (Savard / Petry free agent such as Letang) and  Barron - Guhle would be carried as the 7th and or Scheneman. One could argue that Guhle could develop more in Laval but As a highly touted top draft pick, I don’t see him there if at all for very long. 
I see no need to resign Wideman. I think Josh Brook is done - played 6 games with Laval , 6 games in the ECHL with only 1 goal there. 
D will be a concern next year for sure, but so will our ability to put the puck in the net 

I've heard talk that Guhle could be ready to make the jump directly to the NHL next year. If we had 5 vets and he was the only rookie vying for a spot, I could see it. But the situation is going to be that we'll already have a youngish Romanov and likely a rookie in Harris already. Barron will be vying for a spot too. I get the team would ideally move on from both Petry and Savard but I don't see Savard's contract being palatable to anyone. I just have a hard time seeing

1. The Habs go into the season with 3 rookie D men and 4 with less than 3 years experience, especially if they're still running Price, Petry, and Gallagher. Don't see Price being too happy about that.

or

2. Playing Guhle and/or Harris as a 7th D man. These guys need to play. If they make your top 6 or they're sitting a bit but still getting 60-70 games each then fine. But I don't see much purpose to playing Guhle 25-30 games. He needs to be on the ice and get his game up to NHL speed. That can probably better be done playing 1st -pairing minutes in the AHL than it can being a 7th D man in the NHL.

So to fit Guhle and Harris in, it would necessarily mean playing one on the right AND running a lot of rookies in the same line-up to get them all ice time. Are we looking at

Edmundson-Barron

Romanov-Guhle

Harris-Savard

? Personally, I think Harris, Guhle, and Barron are competing for two spots, barring something bizarre or barring the Habs kind of writing off next season. I have to think Harris has the edge for one of those spots based on how he's played. So is it Barron the righty with prior AHL experience or is it Guhle the lefty with only junior experience to grab the other? Yeah, they're the same age and Guhle could well surprise if he forces out hand, but the positional need and the pro experience give Barron an edge and say it's his job to lose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I've heard talk that Guhle could be ready to make the jump directly to the NHL next year. If we had 5 vets and he was the only rookie vying for a spot, I could see it. But the situation is going to be that we'll already have a youngish Romanov and likely a rookie in Harris already. Barron will be vying for a spot too. I get the team would ideally move on from both Petry and Savard but I don't see Savard's contract being palatable to anyone. I just have a hard time seeing

1. The Habs go into the season with 3 rookie D men and 4 with less than 3 years experience, especially if they're still running Price, Petry, and Gallagher. Don't see Price being too happy about that.

or

2. Playing Guhle and/or Harris as a 7th D man. These guys need to play. If they make your top 6 or they're sitting a bit but still getting 60-70 games each then fine. But I don't see much purpose to playing Guhle 25-30 games. He needs to be on the ice and get his game up to NHL speed. That can probably better be done playing 1st -pairing minutes in the AHL than it can being a 7th D man in the NHL.

So to fit Guhle and Harris in, it would necessarily mean playing one on the right AND running a lot of rookies in the same line-up to get them all ice time. Are we looking at

Edmundson-Barron

Romanov-Guhle

Harris-Savard

? Personally, I think Harris, Guhle, and Barron are competing for two spots, barring something bizarre or barring the Habs kind of writing off next season. I have to think Harris has the edge for one of those spots based on how he's played. So is it Barron the righty with prior AHL experience or is it Guhle the lefty with only junior experience to grab the other? Yeah, they're the same age and Guhle could well surprise if he forces out hand, but the positional need and the pro experience give Barron an edge and say it's his job to lose.

Makes a lot of sense. I think Barron has earned an opportunity at this point and he's a righty. Probably makes more sense to let Guhle develop a year in the AHL. There will be injuries though, Guhle will play a handful of NHL games too just to give him a taste

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...