The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

To be a Leafs fan after last nights game 

On AMradio this morning , a call-in  the Leafs should trade for Mike Smith in Edmonton and sign James Neal

Mike Smith is 39 yrs old and struggling this year and James Neal is 34 yrs old playing in the AHL 

Never heard a word on how good the Habs played. All I heard was how bad Tavares has been at 11 million/year.

21 hours ago, Graeme-1 said:

Not to look too much at the past, but was risk-aversion really MB's main issue? I'd give that criticism more for someone like Cheveldayoff. Compared to many of his peers (granted a low bar compared to previous decades in the NHL or other sports), MB was a fairly active trader, including the blockbuster Weber and Drouin trades (say what you want about those trades, they weren't risk-averse), and willing to sign UFAs while letting others walk (similarly, say what you want about letting Danault and KK go, it wasn't the risk-averse move).

Bergevin wasn't afraid to make changes. But did he ever gamble anything major? Subban for Weber was a lateral move to trade one top-pairing D for another. Sergachev for Drouin was one young blue chipper for a slightly more experienced long-term younger player. Letting Danault and JK was more about saving money. When did MB ever do what Tampa or St. Louis did and swing for the fences by going out to add a McDonagh or an O'Reilly and a Schenn to try and make a Cup run? When did he ever clean house on veterans to build around a specific Cup window the way the Rangers or Avs or Sens have done? Sure, Bergevin tinkered one player for another, but he never really went all0in on any of his big picture plans. He never chose to sacrifice significant futures to make us a top 5 contender right away but he also didn't want to give up his star aging vets to give us a better window down the line. His goal was always to be good enough to challenge for the playoffs, but he never wanted to be blamed for gambling on a Cup window.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Bergevin wasn't afraid to make changes. But did he ever gamble anything major? Subban for Weber was a lateral move to trade one top-pairing D for another. Sergachev for Drouin was one young blue chipper for a slightly more experienced long-term younger player. Letting Danault and JK was more about saving money. When did MB ever do what Tampa or St. Louis did and swing for the fences by going out to add a McDonagh or an O'Reilly and a Schenn to try and make a Cup run? When did he ever clean house on veterans to build around a specific Cup window the way the Rangers or Avs or Sens have done? Sure, Bergevin tinkered one player for another, but he never really went all0in on any of his big picture plans. He never chose to sacrifice significant futures to make us a top 5 contender right away but he also didn't want to give up his star aging vets to give us a better window down the line. His goal was always to be good enough to challenge for the playoffs, but he never wanted to be blamed for gambling on a Cup window.

I think it's more that he really didn't believe in the very concept of rebuilding and windows and so he tried to build the best team every year without selling the farm. I always defended MB but I always had an issue with this as I think you need to think in terms of windows to win in this league

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I think it's more that he really didn't believe in the very concept of rebuilding and windows and so he tried to build the best team every year without selling the farm. I always defended MB but I always had an issue with this as I think you need to think in terms of windows to win in this league

Right. No one celebrates being the 8th seed every year. Either you won a Cup or you didn't. I'd rather be downright awful for 5 years and win 2 Cups in the next 3 seasons than finish 6th to 10th in my conference for all 8 years.

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Right. No one celebrates being the 8th seed every year. Either you won a Cup or you didn't. I'd rather be downright awful for 5 years and win 2 Cups in the next 3 seasons than finish 6th to 10th in my conference for all 8 years.

Correction - Leaf fans celebrate being 8th seed, 6th or better on the conference every year - practically the best regular season team I’ve ever seen! 
Right now, I just want to see a team whose trajectory arrow will point upwards for the next 5 years, vs. a flat line treadmill which is what we have come out of.

1 hour ago, claremont said:

Correction - Leaf fans celebrate being 8th seed, 6th or better on the conference every year - practically the best regular season team I’ve ever seen! 
Right now, I just want to see a team whose trajectory arrow will point upwards for the next 5 years, vs. a flat line treadmill which is what we have come out of.

Correction - Leaf fans celebrate winning the pre season race. 

27.  Philadelphia  50     15      25     10      40

28.  Buffalo           51     16      27      8       40

29.  New Jersey   50      17     28      5       39

30.   Seattle          52      16     32      4       36

31. Montreal        51      11     33       7      31 

32.   Arizona         50      13     33      4       30

Finally made it out of the dungeon!

5 minutes ago, electron58 said:

27.  Philadelphia  50     15      25     10      40

28.  Buffalo           51     16      27      8       40

29.  New Jersey   50      17     28      5       39

30.   Seattle          52      16     32      4       36

31. Montreal        51      11     33       7      31 

32.   Arizona         50      13     33      4       30

Finally made it out of the dungeon!

:6351:

18 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Oh, we're happy, but boy are we gonna be pissed if the Habs go on a tear and finish with the 8th overall pick in the draft. 

I would rather see our Habs winng than losing. Don't care about our draft position. 

Even if we're at the absolute bottom, my understanding is that it's less than 50/50 odds that we land the first pick.  In what is supposed to be a pretty uneventful draft, at that.

Personally I like seeing the team playing with some swagger (as the coach would put it).  Obviously getting 8th overall would be pretty bad from a draft perspective, but that would also mean that we went on just an absolute tear to end the season.  That kind of confidence going into later seasons can also be helpful.  

And it wouldn't even mean that we're not rebuilding.  Honestly do we think that getting this one high draft pick is going to completely fix this franchise?  If not (and I don't) then the rebuild/selling/etc. can continue whether we have a bit of a winning streak or not.

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

Even if we're at the absolute bottom, my understanding is that it's less than 50/50 odds that we land the first pick.  In what is supposed to be a pretty uneventful draft, at that.

Personally I like seeing the team playing with some swagger (as the coach would put it).  Obviously getting 8th overall would be pretty bad from a draft perspective, but that would also mean that we went on just an absolute tear to end the season.  That kind of confidence going into later seasons can also be helpful.  

And it wouldn't even mean that we're not rebuilding.  Honestly do we think that getting this one high draft pick is going to completely fix this franchise?  If not (and I don't) then the rebuild/selling/etc. can continue whether we have a bit of a winning streak or not.

While its theoretically possible for us to end up with like 10th (or worse,) more than likely we finish with a bottom 5 pick and i think thats probably enough this draft.  Im not convinced Wright is going to be the best player from this draft (probably the safest) so im not sure that there's any huge disadvantage to finishing with the #2-5 pick tbh.  I dont even think its a lock Wright goes first. 

You also have to think at some point we'll come back down to earth.  Players continue to get hurt (2 last night) and some vets will be traded soon.  

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

:5187:

I sincerely doubt that we'll win the lottery. We already have a very strong fan base. Look how bad Detroit did a couple of years ago and got completely ripped off. They also have a strong fan base. They're keeping Arizona afloat they will Seattle will be #1 Arizona #2 then 2023 Arizona #1 Seattle #2. Montreal "might" get 3rd probably 4-5.

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

In fairness, we were always going to blame kinot if we lost it.  :ph34r::wacko::P

So, by extension, you will blame me for the wins that we accumulate? :rolleyes:

Is that it? Asking for Kinot-3. 

21 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I would rather see our Habs winng than losing. Don't care about our draft position. 

THIS ^^..........................I know some guys like to get all wrapped up in the whole "draft" idea...but for me, I've spent too many years seeing the top picks disappear off the face of the earth after draft week. I'd rather see the team winning / playing well/ having fun out there than wringing their hands waiting for a draft pick to bail them out.....it rarely happens that way:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, HARBORSPORT said:

THIS ^^..........................I know some guys like to get all wrapped up in the whole "draft" idea...but for me, I've spent too many years seeing the top picks disappear off the face of the earth after draft week. I'd rather see the team winning / playing well/ having fun out there than wringing their hands waiting for a draft pick to bail them out.....it rarely happens that way:rolleyes:

And alot of tose people are alot younger than me. I prolly don't have 10 years to wait for a contending team.