The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 State of the Habs

H_T_L

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

If I were writing a priority list for Bergevin for the summer it would be:

1. Don't screw up the draft. You need to hit your 1st pick and at least one of 26 and 33. Maybe you try to move up in the draft. I certainly think we need to make less than the 14 picks we have now, be it through trading them to move up, move to next year, or move for prospects/players. But the draft is the top priority.

2. We need to try to move cap, but as noted here, I don't see moving Petry or Anderson as a priority to accomplish that. If we go into next season with them, they're both still some of our best players and I think both will have trade value at the trade deadline or the summer after. If there were priorities of who we should be looking to move out, I'd argue that it's more important to be shopping Hoffman (little added value to the team and making a decent salary), Drouin (who I don't see staying here past next year), maybe Savard (also little value), Gallagher (worst contract on the team right now), etc. Those are the bigger handicaps in terms of dollars compared to performance or in Drouin's case urgency of having to make a move this year before his contract expires.

3. Find an assistant coach who can run the PP.

I'm neither here nor there on Pitlick or Pezzetta. Both serviceable bottom 6 forwards and if they're cheap to keep around, sure. But if they walk or if they want too much money, I frankly don't think either guy is moving the needle much on anything. I'd prefer to see Ylonen, RHP, etc. get shots on the roster next year anyways.

:4224:

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Youppi! has been inducted into the Mascot Hall of Fame.

he Montreal Canadiens have confirmed that their mascot Youppi! has been inducted into the Mascot Hall of Fame.

Since 2005, the furry orange creature has been the official mascot for the Habs. He was also the longtime mascot of the Montreal Expos, dating back to 1979. Youppi! even had his very own theme song in 1983.

The Mascot Hall of Fame, which opened in 2005, is located in Whiting, Indiana, a 30-minute drive from downtown Chicago.

I'm sorry but who were thr previous inductees!? Its an outrage that it's taken this long to finally be acknowledged

24 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Looks like Luke is gone to coach the Hawks.

9 minutes ago, habsisme said:

not good for us, but I'm happy for him

Definitely good for him.  In all honesty, its tough to say how it will affect us.  Was he part of the problem on our PP/PK? Was he the guy who was often making questionable defensive pairing choices?  Dunno.  Might not be the worst thing although I really liked him as a person. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Definitely good for him.  In all honesty, its tough to say how it will affect us.  Was he part of the problem on our PP/PK? Was he the guy who was often making questionable defensive pairing choices?  Dunno.  Might not be the worst thing although I really liked him as a person. 

I feel the same way! tough to know if he was the right guy or not. Well it will be a chance to improve our situation if the the right person gets the job, I often was put off by our pairings and the structure of the D was not always good so perhaps this will be a good thing time will tell.

9 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I feel the same way! tough to know if he was the right guy or not. Well it will be a chance to improve our situation if the the right person gets the job, I often was put off by our pairings and the structure of the D was not always good so perhaps this will be a good thing time will tell.

The question is now, who will be the assistant coach? 

58 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The question is now, who will be the assistant coach? 

i could see them bringing in an older guy, someone with some experience - although im not sure who (Larry Robinson, maybe?). At least as assistant there's no prerequisite to speaking french which opens up some doors ;)

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

i could see them bringing in an older guy, someone with some experience - although im not sure who (Larry Robinson, maybe?). At least as assistant there's no prerequisite to speaking french which opens up some doors ;)

A few guys who might have ties... Francis Bouillon and Patrice Brisebois both former D men who have helped out in coaching/development in the past. Jacques Martin was with the Rangers a couple of years ago, so has ties to Gorton in addition to Montreal. Daryl Sydor is an associate coach in the WHL but played with St. Louis in TB for a couple of years. Dan Giradi did one year as an assistant in Buffalo but again was an ex-teammate of MSL's. Doug Houda and Geoff Ward were both assistants with other teams last year but both have ties to Gorton from their Boston days as assistants there. Ward left Anaheim for personal reasons at the end of last year, so not sure what his status is. Also let go by the Ducks, Joel Bouchard is technically out there too. Nate Leaman is a rising coach with Providence in the US Collegiate levels, so maybe some ties to HuGo and MSL in the Northeastern US area. Pascal Vincent and Louis Robitaille are a couple of other names in the rumor mill too. Guess we'll see what direction they go in, but given they've gone off the board before it might be hard to predict.