The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 NHL News

H_T_L

On 1/7/2022 at 2:19 AM, electron58 said:

Martin St. Louis, Steve Sullivan, Michael Grabner, Chris Kunitz, Yvon Lambert, Martin Gelinas, Marc Recchi, Ray Whitney, .....................

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Sign him then .      Montreal isn’t IMP in a position to sign another teams reject . Look at the Niku signing . He’s lighting it up 

1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

Sign him then .      Montreal isn’t IMP in a position to sign another teams reject . Look at the Niku signing . He’s lighting it up 

Nothing ventured,  Nothing gained. Doesn't look like this Hab team is going anywhere. Clague has showed some promise.  I'm not saying they are good or bad, but they must have shown something to be picked that high. Duclair had to beg for a chance and he's finally paying off. Who knows why these high picks don't succeed right away if at all.  Bennet took a while. It happens.

5 hours ago, electron58 said:

The San Jose Sharks have placed forward Evander Kane on unconditional waivers with the intention to terminate his contract.

So they can terminate his contract.  Now we'll see which vultures were interested in him.

The Antonio brown of the NHl , apparently he travelled to Vancouver while he had coivid in the ahl . If a team picks him up it will just prove the winning is the only thing that matters.  

Was a little desperate tonight so i watched some of the Leafs game,, but it became nauseating when they took that lead, and even more so with Mathews scoring goals. Couldn't stomach anymore so i turned it off. Unfortunately i missed the Avs comeback ( OT win). The crow must have been tasty. :lol:

14 hours ago, electron58 said:

The San Jose Sharks have placed forward Evander Kane on unconditional waivers with the intention to terminate his contract.

So they can terminate his contract.  Now we'll see which vultures were interested in him.

Nobody, if they're smart.  

15 hours ago, electron58 said:

42 minutes ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Nobody, if they're smart.  

For sure, but the integrity of this bush league has long been compromised. Nothing surprises me anymore. Disappoints me, but no surprises.

As for Kane. the NHLPA will challenge the League/Sharks on his behalf.  I guess they have to. It's because of players like this, that unions get a bad name.

23 hours ago, electron58 said:

San Jose Sharks forward Evander Kane cleared waivers on Sunday with the NHLPA expected to file a grievance, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Now he'll be cheaper. 

FWIW

https://torontosun.com/sports/simmons-says-maple-leafs-cup-window

Leafs’ Nick Ritchie didn’t get claimed on waivers for two basic reasons: 1) his $2.5-million salary is beyond what he can deliver; 2) there’s another year on the deal. If it been had a one-year contract, someone might have jumped in. On a two-deal deal, no chance …

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

FWIW

https://torontosun.com/sports/simmons-says-maple-leafs-cup-window

Leafs’ Nick Ritchie didn’t get claimed on waivers for two basic reasons: 1) his $2.5-million salary is beyond what he can deliver; 2) there’s another year on the deal. If it been had a one-year contract, someone might have jumped in. On a two-deal deal, no chance …

Agreed. 2 valid reasons.

3 hours ago, AH64 said:

Marc Bergevin now senior advisor to kings GM

Serious Question but what's a Sr Advisor to the GM ?  Is this like we don't have confidence in our GM so we'll hire someone older, who just trainwrecked another organization , to advise him . 

The Columbus Blue Jackets have suspended forward Gregory Hofmann, General Manager and Alternate Governor Jarmo Kekalainen announced today.  "Gregory was given permission by the club to step away for personal reasons and informed us today that because of those reasons he has decided not to return," said Kekalainen. "Obviously, we are disappointed, but we have no other recourse than to suspend him."

CHARLOTTETOWN — A junior hockey player in Prince Edward Island who criticized officials on social media for their response to a racial slur aimed at his teammate has now been indefinitely suspended by the league.  Keegan Mitchell shared a letter he received Thursday from Hockey P.E.I. notifying him of the suspension for violating the league’s social media policy by publicly criticizing officials and Hockey P.E.I. and making reference to a player on the rival Kensington Vipers.

The letter sent by Mike Hammill, the chair of Hockey P.E.I.’s discipline and ethics committee, reads in part that the committee found Mitchell “a member not in good standing,” which means he is suspended from all activities sanctioned by the governing body for hockey in the province.  Mitchell, 20, said that during a Dec. 17 Junior B league game, a player on the Vipers made an anti-Asian comment toward one of Mitchell’s Sherwood Metros teammates. Mitchell said he was not comfortable revealing what was said by the other player.  Later in the game, Mitchell confronted the offending player, slashing him in the legs and earning a two-game suspension.  “I went out there, and I told the guy what he said was very racist and had no place in the game,” Mitchell said in an interview Friday.

Hockey P.E.I. did not respond to a request for comment Friday, but its executive director told CBC News the Vipers player received a two-game suspension for the offensive comment.  In a Jan. 5 Facebook post, Mitchell criticized Hockey P.E.I.’s response to the incident and said the Vipers player’s actions deserved a stiffer penalty.  “For those of you who know me personally or through hockey, I am almost absolutely certain you recognize me as someone who always stands up for themselves, but more importantly for my friends and teammates,” Mitchell wrote.

“If Hockey P.E.I. took these scenarios as seriously as they say they do, this player would have been suspended appropriately …. A two-game suspension for a racist slur is absolutely disgraceful.” The “pitiful suspension,” he concluded, “is making our whole community look racist.”  Mitchell said he now has the opportunity to appeal his suspension, adding that he also plans on remaining vocal about the incident.  “I’m not just going to let this go,” he said. “If I don’t ever play hockey again, that’s fine by me, because I’m going to fight this until it’s right."  

I applaud Mitchell's commitment for standing up for what's right, but what's the matter with this League? By giving a 2 game suspension,  what kind of message are they trying to convey? This is a cancer that needs to be eradicated at the lowest level. There is absolutely no excuse for these racist remarks,   and racism in general,  to keep happening. Maybe it's time for the government to step in,  if these leagues can't dole out the appropriate punishment. 

It's all over the place.

Two former National Hockey League off-ice officials allege in a newly filed lawsuit that they were fired for reporting a colleague who used racist and sexually charged language for years while working for the league.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, lawyers for David Walkowiak and James Watkins, former crew officials who worked for the NHL during Lightning games in Tampa Bay, wrote that Walkowiak and Watkins should be rehired by the NHL and receive punitive damages for their treatment.

The National Hockey League announced today that Andrew Brunette of the Florida Panthers (Atlantic), Jared Bednar of the Colorado Avalanche (Central), Rod Brind’Amour of the Carolina Hurricanes (Metropolitan) and Peter DeBoer of the Vegas Golden Knights (Pacific) will serve as the head coaches for the 2022 Honda NHL® All-Star Weekend, which will be held Feb. 4-5 in Las Vegas.

What!  No Dom?

Another franchise icon has returned to the Detroit Red Wings.

Hockey Hall of Famer Nicklas Lidstrom has come aboard as vice president of hockey operations, Red Wings general manager and former teammate Steve Yzerman announced on Monday.

In a surprising move, the Vegas Golden Knights have placed Lucas Elvenes on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a contract termination, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet. Elvenes is in the final year of his entry-level contract and would have been a restricted free agent in the summer. This move will make him an unrestricted free agent, potentially opening a return to Sweden or another overseas league.

The Minnesota Wild agreed to terms on Tuesday with defenseman Jon Merrill on a three-year, $3.6 million contract extension through the 2024-25 season.

The 29-year-old Merrill has tied his career high with three goals to go with eight assists, a plus-8 rating and 51 blocked shots in 33 games this season, his first with the Wild and his fifth different NHL team. The native of Oklahoma City signed a one-year deal for $850,000 as a free agent last summer.