The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 NHL News

H_T_L

On 12/30/2021 at 8:11 AM, CANADIENS27 said:

Pittsburgh center Evgeny Malkin is now hoping to return in 10 days.  He has been out of the lineup since having offseason knee surgery.  

The Pittsburgh Penguins have waited for what feels like forever to get their superstar back in the lineup. After missing the entirety of the season so far due to a knee injury, Evgeni Malkin plays hockey tonight. His first opponent will be the Anaheim Ducks, starting at 10 pm eastern.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

In a surprising move, the Vegas Golden Knights have placed Lucas Elvenes on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a contract termination, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet. Elvenes is in the final year of his entry-level contract and would have been a restricted free agent in the summer. This move will make him an unrestricted free agent, potentially opening a return to Sweden or another overseas league.

Perhaps even more surprisingly, the Anaheim Ducks have actually claimed Lucas Elvenes, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet. That would mean his contract will not be terminated and he will not be able to pursue an opportunity back in Sweden at this time.

Edmonton may want to rethink their interest in Kane. First of all if he's not vaccinated he probably won't be allowed to play until he is,,, which could take up to 5 weeks to be considered as such. First shot followed by 3 weeks before getting a 2nd and then 14 days after that. 

Then there's the probability he'll get punished by the League for producing false vaccine documents. That could be anywhere from a fine to a suspension,,,, or both.

Edmonton Oilers goaltender Alex Stalock will be attempting an NHL comeback.  Stalock has been out of the NHL since the 2019-20 season after developing a heart condition from COVID-19, but according to multiple reports, has been cleared to attempt a comeback.  Stalock travelled to Bakersfield today and will have his physical tomorrow. If Stalock is able to get through a conditioning stint, the plan is for the Oilers to put him on waivers in the hopes he can play more in the AHL.

Aisha Visram made history on Thursday night when she served as an athletic trainer for the Los Angeles Kings in their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Crypto.com arena.  According to the Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers Society, Visram became the first woman to work a regular-season NHL game behind the bench in any capacity.

Visram is the head athletic trainer for the Ontario Reign, the Kings’ affiliate in the American Hockey League.  She was called into action when three of the Kings’ support staff members were added to the COVID protocols.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:38 PM, electron58 said:

The Boston Bruins have sent a "disappointed" Jeremy Swayman to AHL Providence after signing Tuukka Rask to a one-year contract. Rask will start by backing up Linus Ullmark in tomorrow night's tilt vs. the Montreal Canadiens

Tuukka Rask wins season debut for Bruins against Philadelphia Flyers,  making 25 saves.

The Buffalo Sabres signed Michael Houser to a one-year, $750,000 contract and called up Aaron Dell from the minors Wednesday to shore up their injury-depleted goaltending ranks.  The signing comes with Buffalo adding goalies Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and Malcolm Subban to its injured list.  Luukkonen is considered week-to-week after stopping seven of nine shots in the first period Tuesday before suffering a lower-body injury in a 6-1 loss to Tampa Bay. Subban finished the game but has been diagnosed with what the team calls an upper-body injury that is expected to sideline him for at least a month.  Buffalo is already down two goalies. Craig Anderson is out indefinitely with an upper-body injury, and Dustin Tokarski is still recovering from the effects of COVID-19.  Houser was signed to an NHL contract after spending this season splitting time between Buffalo's minor league affiliates in Rochester and Cincinnati. The 29-year-old made his NHL debut with the Sabres last season, going 2-2 in four games.

The Russia-based Kontinental Hockey League, a key source of players for Olympic teams, decided Wednesday to suspend its season for a week because of COVID-19 outbreaks at many clubs.  The KHL said it will stop play from Saturday and resume on Jan. 22. The league said it knew of positive tests for 124 players around the league as of Tuesday morning, with 27 of those cases reported within the previous 24 hours.  The KHL website already listed 16 games rescheduled or canceled.

On 1/12/2022 at 5:57 PM, H_T_L said:

Edmonton may want to rethink their interest in Evander Kane. First of all if he's not vaccinated he probably won't be allowed to play until he is,,, which could take up to 5 weeks to be considered as such. First shot followed by 3 weeks before getting a 2nd and then 14 days after that. 

Then there's the probability he'll get punished by the League for producing false vaccine documents. That could be anywhere from a fine to a suspension,,,, or both.

McKenna: “It’s been a pretty wild last couple of days in the hockey world, talking about potential signings and one player, in particular, Evander Kane.

“The NHL sent out a memo on Wednesday to all 32 teams specifically about Evander Kane. What did it say, how much of an impact will it have on any team looking to potentially sign him?”

Seravalli: “I think it’s really cooled things off. You think about the flurry of interest that began early this week with Evander Kane formally becoming an unrestricted free agent on Sunday.

“I’m told as many as 16 teams had talked to the Kane camp, he had conducted interviews with teams, there were calls from players on these teams trying to recruit him. And then this memo comes out on Wednesday from the NHL head office, which basically says the league has started an independent investigation that will now look into exactly what happened with Kane’s cross-border travel over the holiday period.

“What’s alleged is that Kane tested positive for COVID-19 on Dec. 21 while playing for the AHL San Jose Barracuda and then crossed into Canada on a trip home on Dec. 29 on a flight. That breaks Canadian quarantine act rules and regulations and so that would also be out of line to travel without medical clearance as per the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol. Kane was still on an NHL contract at the time so they have jurisdiction.

“The interesting part of the memo was that the league basically hinting (and I’ve printed the memo in full on Daily Faceoff) that Kane could be subject to an NHL disciplinary hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman should they have facts here that establish that he did indeed violate the protocol again.

“So, why is that significant? Well, Kane was already suspended for one significant COVID violation back on October 18 for 21 games to start the season. He forfeited almost $1.8 million in salary for submitting a fake COVID vaccination card.

“Mike, you’ve been around a long time, you know how the NHL discipline system works. If he indeed had another significant violation, we could be dealing with instead of a 21-game suspension like the first time around, what does the second one look like?

“It’s all hypothetical at this point, but that’s what’s given teams pause. What if you’re looking at a 40-game suspension for Evander Kane? Would teams still want to sign him?”

I gotta agree H_T_L, Kane will be suspended again.  Has to be.

Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Calvin de Haan has been fined $2,500 by the NHL for a “dangerous trip” on Montreal Canadiens forward Cole Caufield. (It was a slew foot trip.)

The trip, which was not penalized, occurred at 6:22 of the third period of Thursday’s game between the two teams. The Blackhawks beat the Canadiens 3-2 on a controversial overtime goal.  The money from the fine will go to the NHLPA’s emergency assistance fund.

On Thursday night, Connor Brown produced a goal and an assist to help the Ottawa Senators defeat the Calgary Flames, and addressed the media after the game. All with a cracked jaw?

Speaking to the media on Friday, head coach DJ Smith said that Brown took a puck to the face during warmup on Thursday, which they didn’t think was that bad. Turns out, his jaw is broken and Smith says he’ll be out “week-to-week.”

Tough Kid!

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

NY Islanders’ Ross Johnston has been suspended for three games for an illegal check to the head on New Jersey’s A.J. Greer.

LOL....The Linesman can be seen looking right at the play and they only gave him a 2 minute penalty. NHL officiating at its best! LOL

The Boston Bruins have placed forward Karson Kuhlman on waivers Sunday.   Kuhlman, 26, has one goal and one assist in 19 games for the Bruins this season.   An undrafted free agent out of the NCAA, Kuhlman signed with the Bruins in April 2018 after four years at the University of Minnesota Duluth. 

On 1/16/2022 at 2:42 PM, electron58 said:

The Boston Bruins have placed forward Karson Kuhlman on waivers Sunday.   Kuhlman, 26, has one goal and one assist in 19 games for the Bruins this season.   An undrafted free agent out of the NCAA, Kuhlman signed with the Bruins in April 2018 after four years at the University of Minnesota Duluth. 

The Seattle Kraken claimed forward Karson Kuhlman  off of waivers from the Boston Bruins.

On 1/14/2022 at 5:41 PM, electron58 said:

On Thursday night, Connor Brown produced a goal and an assist to help the Ottawa Senators defeat the Calgary Flames, and addressed the media after the game. All with a cracked jaw?

Speaking to the media on Friday, head coach DJ Smith said that Brown took a puck to the face during warmup on Thursday, which they didn’t think was that bad. Turns out, his jaw is broken and Smith says he’ll be out “week-to-week.”

Tough Kid!

Connor Brown took a puck to the face during warmup prior to the team's win over the Flames last Thursday. The 28-year-old is expected to miss at least three weeks according to head coach DJ Smith.

General manager Don Waddell worked out a contract with University of Minnesota goalie Jack LaFontaine over the weekend to leave school and join the Hurricanes. He’s already been officially added to the taxi squad and will start practicing with the ‘Canes on Wednesday.

The Arizona Coyotes have placed defenseman Cam Dineen on waivers.  When looking at Dineen, it seems possible that another team may be willing to give him a shot. The 2016 third-round pick is still just 23 years old and is just getting his NHL career started this season. With this, he also only has a $750,000 cap hit, so he could be a good addition for a team in need of a defenseman right now - even if it's just temporarily. 

On 1/10/2022 at 6:46 PM, electron58 said:

CHARLOTTETOWN — A junior hockey player in Prince Edward Island who criticized officials on social media for their response to a racial slur aimed at his teammate has now been indefinitely suspended by the league.  Keegan Mitchell shared a letter he received Thursday from Hockey P.E.I. notifying him of the suspension for violating the league’s social media policy by publicly criticizing officials and Hockey P.E.I. and making reference to a player on the rival Kensington Vipers.

The letter sent by Mike Hammill, the chair of Hockey P.E.I.’s discipline and ethics committee, reads in part that the committee found Mitchell “a member not in good standing,” which means he is suspended from all activities sanctioned by the governing body for hockey in the province.  Mitchell, 20, said that during a Dec. 17 Junior B league game, a player on the Vipers made an anti-Asian comment toward one of Mitchell’s Sherwood Metros teammates. Mitchell said he was not comfortable revealing what was said by the other player.  Later in the game, Mitchell confronted the offending player, slashing him in the legs and earning a two-game suspension.  “I went out there, and I told the guy what he said was very racist and had no place in the game,” Mitchell said in an interview Friday.

Hockey P.E.I. did not respond to a request for comment Friday, but its executive director told CBC News the Vipers player received a two-game suspension for the offensive comment.  In a Jan. 5 Facebook post, Mitchell criticized Hockey P.E.I.’s response to the incident and said the Vipers player’s actions deserved a stiffer penalty.  “For those of you who know me personally or through hockey, I am almost absolutely certain you recognize me as someone who always stands up for themselves, but more importantly for my friends and teammates,” Mitchell wrote.

“If Hockey P.E.I. took these scenarios as seriously as they say they do, this player would have been suspended appropriately …. A two-game suspension for a racist slur is absolutely disgraceful.” The “pitiful suspension,” he concluded, “is making our whole community look racist.”  Mitchell said he now has the opportunity to appeal his suspension, adding that he also plans on remaining vocal about the incident.  “I’m not just going to let this go,” he said. “If I don’t ever play hockey again, that’s fine by me, because I’m going to fight this until it’s right."  

I applaud Mitchell's commitment for standing up for what's right, but what's the matter with this League? By giving a 2 game suspension,  what kind of message are they trying to convey? This is a cancer that needs to be eradicated at the lowest level. There is absolutely no excuse for these racist remarks,   and racism in general,  to keep happening. Maybe it's time for the government to step in,  if these leagues can't dole out the appropriate punishment. 

An about face!

Hockey P.E.I. is reversing the indefinite suspension of a Junior B player who spoke out on social media after an opponent used an anti-Asian racial slur against a teammate during a game.    Last week, Hockey P.E.I. indefinitely suspended Keegan Mitchell after he criticized the organization for its handling of the incident, which happened on Dec. 17.   In a statement to CBC News Wednesday, the organization apologized for "errors" that were made in handling the case. 

"Hockey P.E.I. is repealing this suspension effective immediately. As an organization and as individuals, we need to take a stand against racism and help make the hockey environment a safe and welcoming place for everyone," the statement said.  Racism has no place in the game and I will continue to advocate for that.
— Keegan Mitchell
Hockey P.E.I. is now praising Mitchell, who's 20, for acting as he did after a Kensington Vipers player received only a two-game suspension for a comment aimed at one of Mitchell's teammates on the Sherwood Metros. 

"We commend Keegan for speaking up for what was right and shining a spotlight on our missteps around this tragic incident," the governing body's statement said.  The organization also faced criticism for its ruling on the 19-year-old Kensington player who made the anti-Asian remark. His initial two-game suspension was changed to a five-game suspension, falling more in line with Hockey Canada guidelines. 

"[The] suspension was not proportionate to the act that was committed and has been increased to five games," Hockey P.E.I.'s statement said.  "We acknowledge the initial error in judgment and express our deepest apologies to the victim."  The organization said it has a "zero-tolerance policy" for racism.