The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 NHL News

16 hours ago, electron58 said:

Sheldon Keefe  updated the status of defenseman Jake Muzzin, who was injured in a collision with Canadiens defenseman Chris Wideman on Monday.  "He's feeling better today. He's travelled home and is resting there,” said Keefe.  “He's going to go through concussion protocols and all that kind of stuff. We'll be patient with that, of course. All considered, it's positive today in terms of how he's responding."  The 33-year-old did not travel with the team after the game and spent the night in Montreal for further testing and observation. 

The Toronto Maple Leafs placed Jake Muzzin on the injured reserve on Wednesday.

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

I expect Muzzin won't be back until the 1st game of the playoffs. Not trying to belittle his injury but I can see the Laffs pulling a Tampa scam.

11 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I expect Muzzin won't be back until the 1st game of the playoffs. Not trying to belittle his injury but I can see the Laffs pulling a Tampa scam.

Which now Vegas is already using. The salary cap when it comes to icing a team should include the playoffs! It is something that needs to be changed. I don't care how many players a team could carry throughout the playoffs, but the players dressed for each game should be in the cap.

3 hours ago, electron58 said:

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

The Toronto Maple Leafs placed Jake Muzzin on long-term injured reserve on Wednesday.

The Boston Bruins made a move for a defenseman late Monday night, but it probably wasn’t one that anybody was quite expecting.  The B’s announced that they’d sent a 2024 seventh round pick to the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for Providence College defenseman and Franklin, Mass. native Michael Callahan. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound D-man was originally a fifth round pick of the Coyotes in the 2018 NHL Draft and has 13 goals and 66 points along with a plus-23 rating in 134 games while serving as a three-year captain for some very strong Friars teams.

Columbus Blue Jackets netminder Daniil Tarasov will miss the remainder of the season as he recovers from right hip surgery, the team announced today. Tarasov’s recovery timeline is six months.  The news isn’t entirely unexpected. Tarasov has been on the shelf for a little while now, last playing for the Blue Jackets on New Years’ Day after a three-game string in early December.

Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Tony DeAngelo is expected to be out for a month with an upper-body injury, according to head coach Rod-Brind'Amour.  DeAngelo, 26, was injured during Monday's 4-3 overtime victory over the Philadelphia Flyers.  The Sewell, N.J., native was acquired by the Hurricanes as an unrestricted free agent in the offseason after he was bought out by the New York Rangers in July.  The 5-foot-11 defenceman has nine goals and 40 points in 43 games this season.

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting was fined $2,000 for diving/embellishment on Thursday.  The fine is a result of an incident that occurred in the second period of last Wednesday's win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Bunting was first issued a warning after an incident against the Nashville Predators in November.

14 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Michael Bunting was fined $2,000 for diving/embellishment on Thursday.  The fine is a result of an incident that occurred in the second period of last Wednesday's win over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Bunting was first issued a warning after an incident against the Nashville Predators in November.

There's a few teams out there with Olympic quality divers IMO. You put a stick anywhere near these guys and they grab it with whatever body part they can get on it, and fall like they've been shot. They need to call that penalty a whole lot more often. Really starting to look like soccer at times.

32 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

There's a few teams out there with Olympic quality divers IMO. You put a stick anywhere near these guys and they grab it with whatever body part they can get on it, and fall like they've been shot. They need to call that penalty a whole lot more often. Really starting to look like soccer at times.

Funny that it's Bunting, when two weeks ago this happened:

Pekka Rinne, who led the Nashville Predators to their lone Stanley Cup Final in 2017, is adding another first to his long list of accomplishments.  The longtime goaltender becomes the first player to have his jersey retired by the organization when the Predators raise Rinne's No. 35 to the rafters before Thursday night's game against Dallas.              “A huge honor. It is. I consider myself very fortunate. There’s been a lot of great players in this organization over the years, but also I realized that I was lucky enough to play for a long time for this organization and that’s obviously a big thank you to (general manager) David Poile, as well,” Rinne said.

The Winnipeg Jets announced Thursday that fans will need to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 for both Jets and Manitoba Moose games at Canada Life Centre until April 30.  The announcement comes after the government of Manitoba announced that provincial proof of vaccination requirements are coming to an end on March 1, while mask mandates will no longer be in place by March 15.

37 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Finnish team Jokerit Helsinki quits the Russian-based KHL after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Jokerit has competed in the KHL since 2014 and previously competed in Finland’s top league (Liiga, 1 Divisioona, SM-Sarja) since 1967.

Great move. 

43 minutes ago, electron58 said:

Finnish team Jokerit Helsinki quits the Russian-based KHL after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Jokerit has competed in the KHL since 2014 and previously competed in Finland’s top league (Liiga, 1 Divisioona, SM-Sarja) since 1967.

6 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Great move. 

Who knows, if there will be bigger ones.

Zdeno Chara broke the NHL record for games by a defenseman Thursday night.  The seven-time All-Star was on the ice for the New York Islanders for the opening faceoff against San Jose for his 1,652nd regular-season game. He broke the mark set by Hall of Famer Chris Chelios.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:23 PM, electron58 said:

Calgary Flames beat the Winnipeg Jets to match their franchise-best 10-game winning streak.

Vancouver Canucks up 5-0 over the Calgary Flames, after 2 periods. Calgary would have to mount a huge comeback in the 3rd period to keep streak going.  Suffice to say, it's not happening!