The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-december-1-2021/

The Future of Carey Price

A few insiders have questioned aloud what happens with Price after the changes in Montreal and with Marc Bergevin — who Price was extremely close to — out of the picture. TSN’s Pierre LeBrun wondered if the 34-year-old would fit into or want to be a part of a potential rebuild if that’s what new executive VP of hockey operations Jeff Gorton plans to attempt.

eBrun noted Price’s willingness to waive his full no-move clause for the Kraken, but that was a specific circumstance to protect Jake Allen from being selected. LeBrun believes there are some playoff contenders who are intrigued by Price’s situation and could show interest. All that said, his no-move clause isn’t the only thing that would him tough to trade. His $10.5 million annual cap hit through 2025-26 is a big hurdle for a number of teams

DeBrusk

As for teams Dreger believes are in that group of 12, he listed the New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames, Arizona Coyotes, and St. Louis Blues. NBC Sports Boston’s Nick Goss believes the Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, and Ottawa Senators are also on a list of five potential trade destinations. Other sources have listed the Seattle Kraken and Carolina Hurricanes as possible options.

While it’s not clear if DeBrusk can get back to his old goal-scoring form, teams do like his potential to be a 20-goal scorer again and his 16 career postseason goals are a big part of their interest in him.

10 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

DeBrusk

As for teams Dreger believes are in that group of 12, he listed the New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks, Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames, Arizona Coyotes, and St. Louis Blues. NBC Sports Boston’s Nick Goss believes the Chicago Blackhawks, Edmonton Oilers, and Ottawa Senators are also on a list of five potential trade destinations. Other sources have listed the Seattle Kraken and Carolina Hurricanes as possible options.

While it’s not clear if DeBrusk can get back to his old goal-scoring form, teams do like his potential to be a 20-goal scorer again and his 16 career postseason goals are a big part of their interest in him.

I really don't have any interest unless we're trading an older winger for DuBrusk +

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I really don't have any interest unless we're trading an older winger for DuBrusk +

You dont want another 3 rd / 4 th liner  - so we can argue why he's not in the lineup over another  3 rd / 4 th liner...lol

Louis Debrusk is a middle 6 left winger. He has scored 27 goals once before but he has been below average in both traditional and advanced stats the past two years. At present, he's a bit of a reclamation project and at 3.6M a year with RFA status after this year, that's a decent chunk of change to be paying a winger who has question marks when we're not in a position to win. We don't really need wingers to be honest. If Boston wanted to swap him straight up for Mike Hoffman, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Otherwise, not sure where he fits in and isn't an area of need for us right now.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Louis Debrusk is a middle 6 left winger. He has scored 27 goals once before but he has been below average in both traditional and advanced stats the past two years. At present, he's a bit of a reclamation project and at 3.6M a year with RFA status after this year, that's a decent chunk of change to be paying a winger who has question marks when we're not in a position to win. We don't really need wingers to be honest. If Boston wanted to swap him straight up for Mike Hoffman, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Otherwise, not sure where he fits in and isn't an area of need for us right now.

yeah thats how I feel as well, or even if we're moving Gallagher and Toffoli for Debrusk + picks/prospects. Then it sort of makes sense. But Debrusk would be a throw in basically 

20 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This. And im hopeful that Gorton wont be a 'tinkering' guy like MB.   Dont get me wrong, tinkering is fine and MB was very good at it, but when youve blown the engine on your car, maybe you dont need to 'tinker' with new floor mats or seat covers. 

We need top line forwards.  We need top 4 dmen.  We most likely will have to do that via the draft (Trading for picks) or getting prospects before they've broken out. I think Gorton gets that based on his work elsewhere. 

44 minutes ago, maas_art said:

This. And im hopeful that Gorton wont be a 'tinkering' guy like MB.   Dont get me wrong, tinkering is fine and MB was very good at it, but when youve blown the engine on your car, maybe you dont need to 'tinker' with new floor mats or seat covers. 

We need top line forwards.  We need top 4 dmen.  We most likely will have to do that via the draft (Trading for picks) or getting prospects before they've broken out. I think Gorton gets that based on his work elsewhere. 

I couldn't agree more. I am certainly wishful that say for Ben Chiarot instead of a first round pick where we have to wait 2 years for development, we trade him for a prospect a little further along like Edmonton and Xavier Bourgault, or Colorado - Alex Newhook, Nashville - Zachary L'Heuruex (LW), Tomasino (C), Dallas - Mavrik Bourque, Ty Dellandrea St. Louis - Zachary Bolduc - Calgary  Connor Zary Almost all of these are centers and we need more centers in our prospect pool whereas the other teams could use muscle like Chiarot brings for their playoff run

22 minutes ago, claremont said:

I couldn't agree more. I am certainly wishful that say for Ben Chiarot instead of a first round pick where we have to wait 2 years for development, we trade him for a prospect a little further along like Edmonton and Xavier Bourgault, or Colorado - Alex Newhook, Nashville - Zachary L'Heuruex (LW), Tomasino (C), Dallas - Mavrik Bourque, Ty Dellandrea St. Louis - Zachary Bolduc - Calgary  Connor Zary Almost all of these are centers and we need more centers in our prospect pool whereas the other teams could use muscle like Chiarot brings for their playoff run

For sure. The other thing is that if you are trading guys like Chiarot, Hoffman, Gallagher, Price - whomever - these are players that will go to a team that are confident they are a stanley cup contender.  You ain't getting a great pick from them.  Even if they flame out in the 1st round a la toronto, its still barely a top 20 pick.   Whereas, if you deal with a team that has a lot of depth maybe they part with a player who cant help them for another year or 2 but are farther along their development than any 25th overall pick would be. 

On 12/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, Regis22 said:

You dont want another 3 rd / 4 th liner  - so we can argue why he's not in the lineup over another  3 rd / 4 th liner...lol

probably because he makes too much money for his yearly declining production ....not really interested in the Bruins cast-offs anyway

Pierre LeBrun adding more to his Carey Price rumors today, saying there seems to be a fair bit of interest for Carey from contending teams and that two teams that make a lot of sense (which we here had figured out a long time ago) were Colorado and Edmonton. Neither team has any cap space though, for what it's worth, so may be more of an off-season move.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pierre LeBrun adding more to his Carey Price rumors today, saying there seems to be a fair bit of interest for Carey from contending teams and that two teams that make a lot of sense (which we here had figured out a long time ago) were Colorado and Edmonton. Neither team has any cap space though, for what it's worth, so may be more of an off-season move.

well we'd easily could take a contract back too. It's gonna suck retaining all that salary but at least if he can fetch us a good return. Also, would be nice to have a second team to cheer for while we rebuild (send them Gallagher and Price) lol

50 minutes ago, habsisme said:

well we'd easily could take a contract back too. It's gonna suck retaining all that salary but at least if he can fetch us a good return. Also, would be nice to have a second team to cheer for while we rebuild (send them Gallagher and Price) lol

With Price at 10.5M and their having literally 0$ of cap space, we'd have to retain salary and take probably 2 contracts back (Koskinen and someone else).

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

With Price at 10.5M and their having literally 0$ of cap space, we'd have to retain salary and take probably 2 contracts back (Koskinen and someone else).

Yeah you'd have to figure that if Price was the piece from our end, any team we trade with will send back their tender. So in edmonton & colorado;'s case, Koskinen ($4.5m) and Kuemper ($3.5m) respectively.   Thats a lot of cap still to make up.   In Colorado i wouldnt be surprised to see them offer Johnson ($6m) but only under contract for 1 more year after this.   In edmonton its a bit trickier because they are so top heavy with their stars they dont really have a lot of dead-weight contracts.   If RNH's wasnt so damned long Id be interested in him as an asset, not just a salary dump.  

While i like some of Edmonton's potential assets, I think Colorado has a better chance of being able to make a salary for salary deal that would make sense.  
Of course this is all assuming Price agrees to a move. I know he doesnt specifically want out of Montreal - or at least didnt before he went into rehab - but the fact we we will likely be going through a rebuild could have very well changed his mind over the past few months. 

On 12/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, BigTed3 said:

Is he?  I mean, is he even still playing?

https://www.tsn.ca/insider-trading-ben-chiarot-drawing-interest-from-contenders-1.1729679

LeBrun:  is a player who’s high up on some trade boards now. It’s way early, remember, the trade deadline isn’t until March 21 but the Habs are obviously out of playoff contention already. And so , who is a pending unrestricted free agent, I spoke with a few contending teams today who value him greatly and here’s a guy who can absolutely fetch a first-round pick given the dearth of rental defencemen available. He was terrific during the Habs’ playoff run to the Stanley Cup Final last year. Now, we have to wait and see what Jeff Gorton, who has just got the job this week, is going to do with this Canadiens roster. But contending teams I spoke with are acting as if will be available between now and the 21st. He has a 10-team no-trade list. It’s a ‘no’ list. That list was submitted last summer. Certainly it’s not out of the question they try and re-sign him, but he’s probably going to be dealt before the 21st.

Not really a surprise to anyone who follows the team but this could turn out to be great for us. I like Chiarot, he mostly played well during his stint here and has done everything he was asked to do (and probably more) relative to his Cap hit, but I don't think it makes any sense for us to re-sign him. He's having a really good year and if he keeps getting some PP time and coninues to find the back of the net, there's a strong chance that contending teams start bidding for his services and eventually overpay.

11 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Was trying to look at other teams by process of cap space and elimination. Seattle isn’t a contender but they made their bed with Grubauer at 6 years $5.9m and a 10 team NTC. I possibly thought Minny Wild but dead cap space of Suter and Parise cannot be traded under the rules. Florida is set with Bobrovsky who is enigmatic but also a bad contract. Rangers already have 2 good goalies but a lot of cap space. Washington would have to be creative with LTIR and NTC/NMC of Oshie , Backstrom. 
Price still needs to prove he can perform at a high level. I don’t like the odds of his contract being traded without large salary retention in this season or off season.
If we are rebuilding does salary retention really matter, and for a player of Price’s ability and service, it seems morally wrong to waste him away in our rebuild. 

Concerning Price, how much salary retention would you consider to be too much salary retention? I think it's likely that Gorton at least asks him about the possibility of a trade. Perhaps Carey and his family would be open to it, perhaps they would want to stay. I'd be open to retaining up to $2.5 million in annual salary.

Some encouraging words from Gorton in his Presser this AM:

Gorton: I believe in analytics. I feel we need to build that out better.

Gorton: I think we need more when it comes to development. They need help as soon as we draft them. We need to do better there too.

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Some encouraging words from Gorton in his Presser this AM:

Gorton: I believe in analytics. I feel we need to build that out better.

Gorton: I think we need more when it comes to development. They need help as soon as we draft them. We need to do better there too.

It was a very good presser, impressed with his overall openness and honesty. Impressed that he is looking for someone who compliments him rather than someone who follows what he says. Liked that the organization is keeping an open mind when it comes to the GM and not reducing his role or limiting his decision making abilities. We need a team not a puppet and puppetmaster, as they say 2 heads are better than 1. Looking forward to moving this team in the right direction.