The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2021-22 Rumours

H_T_L

11 minutes ago, AH64 said:

i just dont see the price family wanting to go to Edmonton. Angela has a huge say in what they do. We shall see at the deadline!

I can understand Edmonton not being a choice location for many players, but Price may be open to an excellent shot at one or more Cups,, and with the Oilers current core,, he could be the missing piece to make that happen. Sure his wife would have a say, but would she actually deny him that chance? 

2 hours ago, AH64 said:

i just dont see the price family wanting to go to Edmonton. Angela has a huge say in what they do. We shall see at the deadline!

Yes very true point on the wife and family being content. On the other side, Price having the chance to play with three elite players - McD, Drait and Nurse and a reasonable supporting cast and a GM in Holland who is known to take the big swing outlook on trades does bode well for his twilight years. with the limited cap room, the trade will have to be fairly creative. 

Just seems to me with Carey making a comeback in the last part of this season, that a more likely a creative trade occurs in the off-season especially if Colorado or Washington or another team don't go deep into the round of 16. 

15 hours ago, AH64 said:

i just don't see the Price family wanting to go to Edmonton.  Angela has a huge say in what they do. We shall see at the deadline!

I definitely don't think Carey wants to stay for a rebuild at all.  I think he'll accept a trade to Colorodo or Edmonton, and be on the next flight.  It's whether the return is good enough for the Habs to make it happen. Can't give him a way, with 50% salary retained, and not get a blue chip prospect back. They can just chalk up the cost to development.

6 hours ago, electron58 said:

I definitely don't think Carey wants to stay for a rebuild at all.  I think he'll accept a trade to Colorodo or Edmonton, and be on the next flight.  It's whether the return is good enough for the Habs to make it happen. Can't give him a way, with 50% salary retained, and not get a blue chip prospect back. They can just chalk up the cost to development.

I honestly think Price, while he would prefer a contending team and it only makes sense for a contending team, would play anywhere to get out of Montreal. I think he's exhausted and just can't play here anymore. The problem is I don't think we can move him until he starts playing again and I'm starting to wonder wether he'll be back at all this year

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I honestly think Price, while he would prefer a contending team and it only makes sense for a contending team, would play anywhere to get out of Montreal. I think he's exhausted and just can't play here anymore. The problem is I don't think we can move him until he starts playing again and I'm starting to wonder wether he'll be back at all this year

My inside source says the nhl players are very likely to vote no on the Olympic attendance if the current covid protocols on positive detection and subsequent quarantine for weeks, stay in place. That and the possibility of a trade may be the only incentive for Price to return to play. 
On a positive note, Oilers continue to be in free fall - I believe that just builds the pressure for Holland to acquire Chiarot. I’m ok with salary retention to make the acquisition easier. 

42 minutes ago, claremont said:

My inside source says the nhl players are very likely to vote no on the Olympic attendance if the current covid protocols on positive detection and subsequent quarantine for weeks, stay in place. That and the possibility of a trade may be the only incentive for Price to return to play. 
On a positive note, Oilers continue to be in free fall - I believe that just builds the pressure for Holland to acquire Chiarot. I’m ok with salary retention to make the acquisition easier. 

We certainly don't need the cap space this year so i'd retain the max allowable on Chiarot if it gets us a better deal.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

We certainly don't need the cap space this year so i'd retain the max allowable on Chiarot if it gets us a better deal.

For sure. They need to get creative. Decide if they are going to move CP or JA.  If it's JA, make sure the return is "knock your socks off"  good.  Big Ben & Jake Allen for a couple prospects & a goalie. (contract coming back)

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-rumor-coyotes-listening-on-jakob-chychrun-interest-in-anton-khudobin-and-covid-next-steps/

Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch.

Chychrun, 23, has just 7 points in 26 games for Arizona. Although you’d be had pressed to hold those numbers against him this season. In 2020-21, he had a breakout performance with 41 points in 56 games.

There were rumors that the Islanders tried to pluck him in the offseason. If the Yotes are listening, does that make them the frontrunners to land him? We will see.

The stud left-defenseman has three more seasons left on his contract with an AAV of $4.6M.

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

For sure. They need to get creative. Decide if they are going to move CP or JA.  If it's JA, make sure the return is "knock your socks off"  good.  Big Ben & Jake Allen for a couple prospects & a goalie. (contract coming back)

IMO you wont get much for a back up goalie 

On 12/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, Regis22 said:

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/nhl-rumor-coyotes-listening-on-jakob-chychrun-interest-in-anton-khudobin-and-covid-next-steps/

Arizona GM Bill Armstrong refused to comment when asked, but it now sounds like the Coyotes are gauging the market on Jakob Chychrun. I’ve heard the ask is massive, but that doesn’t mean opponents are running away. He’s signed for three more years at a very reasonable $4.6 million AAV and is a terrific player. This is one to watch.

Chychrun, 23, has just 7 points in 26 games for Arizona. Although you’d be had pressed to hold those numbers against him this season. In 2020-21, he had a breakout performance with 41 points in 56 games.

There were rumors that the Islanders tried to pluck him in the offseason. If the Yotes are listening, does that make them the frontrunners to land him? We will see.

The stud left-defenseman has three more seasons left on his contract with an AAV of $4.6M.

Man id be in on that.  The problem is that I cant see Arizona giving up Chychrun for anything less than a young guy like Suzuki or Caufield or a 1st+

On 12/15/2021 at 11:48 AM, Regis22 said:

I tend to agree.  I know that we love Jake here but ultimately he's a backup or a 1b goalie. Traditionally goalies dont bring much in trades unless they are 'elite' guys with the whole mystic thing on their side. I have no doubt that if you retained a few million of price's salary bringing him down to say $6.5-7m a year teams would pay a hefty premium (ie similar to the Pacioretty haul) for "playoff Price"

I think its unlikely you'd get more than a decent prospect or pick for Jake the Snake - despite how good he's been for us.  Probably the best you could hope for is a blue chip, unproven goalie prospect (for a team that wants a proven backup for their playoff push) but I dont think we really need that at all. 

On 12/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, Regis22 said:

I've posted this before, but look at Darcy Kuemper's stats, salary, age, etc. and compare them to Allen's. Virtually identical. Allen was a #1 for a while in Stl and has taken that job effectively here this season, so it's not like he's only 10 games a year for the past few years. He's shown he's still capable of being a #1, ideally in a tandem type situation (but that's the same case for Kuemper). Any team going into the playoffs isn't looking for a #1 to play 70 games a year, they're likely looking for a 2nd guy to split duties. I still think you can find someone to give a comparable return to what Colorado got for Kuemper, and Allen is signed to a reasonable deal next year as well.

• 3 weeks later...

https://thehockeynews.com/news/panthers-eyeing-canadiens-defenseman-ben-chiarot

Montreal Canadiens defenseman Ben Chiarot has been the subject of frequent media trade speculation since November. According to TSN's Pierre LeBrun, the Florida Panthers are among several clubs that could make a pitch for the 30-year-old blueliner.

During a Jan. 1 appearance on RDS's Hockey 360, LeBrun said the Panthers have had internal discussions over whether they'll make an offer to the Canadiens for Chiarot. He believes they'll attempt to acquire him before the March 21 trade deadline

Mired at the bottom of the Eastern Conference, the Canadiens are expected to be among this season's sellers. They could wait until executive VP of hockey operations Jeff Gorton hires a new general manager before fielding trade offers.

Slated to become an unrestricted free agent in July, the 6-foot-3, 234-pound Chiarot is a physical shutdown defenseman who played a key role in the Canadiens' unexpected march to the 2021 Stanley Cup Final. His experience and style of play would make him a valuable addition to any contender's defense corps, which explains why he sat atop TSN's December trade-bait board.

Last month, LeBrun suggested Chiarot could fetch the Canadiens a first-round pick. While that seems expensive, the Tampa Bay Lightning gave up a first-round pick at last year's trade deadline for a comparable rental rearguard in David Savard, who's now Chiarot's teammate in Montreal.

Panthers GM Bill Zito could be all-in this season to pursue the Stanley Cup. However, he traded his club's 2022 first-round pick last summer to the Buffalo Sabres as part of the return for Sam Reinhart. He'll have to come up with a suitable offer to outbid other clubs interested in Chiarot. Perhaps he'll part with his 2023 first-rounder or offer up a top prospect and a lower-round pick. 

9 hours ago, Regis22 said:

. According to TSN's Pierre LeBrun, the Florida Panthers are among several clubs that could make a pitch for the 30-year-old blueliner.

During a Jan. 1 appearance on RDS's Hockey 360, LeBrun said the Panthers have had internal discussions over whether they'll make an offer to the Canadiens 

Panthers GM Bill Zito could be all-in this season to pursue the Stanley Cup. However, he traded his club's 2022 first-round pick last summer to the Buffalo Sabres as part of the return for Sam Reinhart. He'll have to come up with a suitable offer to outbid other clubs interested in Chiarot. Perhaps he'll part with his 2023 first-rounder or offer up a top prospect and a lower-round pick. 

This would be a “floor” offer in my opinion - great for the panthers as pairing Chiarot with Gudas would be an imposing playoff physical twosome! 
my issue is FLA doesn’t have much to offer - we need scoring Centers and the only reasonable one they have is Justin Sourdif. FLA’s 2023 pick is likely a 16-32 pick which doesn’t provide much immediacy or help in the Bedard sweepstakes. 
I’m hoping Gorton can do better 

23 minutes ago, claremont said:

This would be a “floor” offer in my opinion - great for the panthers as pairing Chiarot with Gudas would be an imposing playoff physical twosome! 
my issue is FLA doesn’t have much to offer - we need scoring Centers and the only reasonable one they have is Justin Sourdif. FLA’s 2023 pick is likely a 16-32 pick which doesn’t provide much immediacy or help in the Bedard sweepstakes. 

Me too! It seems like BC is hitting his prime, as he has played very well for the most part, and is engaged. Again, I say BC & JA to Edmonton for a package.  Retain, mix & match, take back salary, make it happen.

9 hours ago, claremont said:

Chiarot is a perfect trade deadline acquisition: playoff-type defenceman, not expensive, expiring contract, still in his prime... he should have multiple suitors, as long as COVID doesn't shut the season down again, and we should be able to garner a 1st round pick plus another asset, similar to what TB gave up for Savard. As you said, hard to imagine Florida being the best fit for us, even if they want him. There should be plenty of other teams interested, and as I've said before, I'd be most in favor of trying to grab a 2023 1st (unprotected) from a fringe team that's likely to regress next year (Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.)

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Chiarot is a perfect trade deadline acquisition: playoff-type defenceman, not expensive, expiring contract, still in his prime... he should have multiple suitors, as long as COVID doesn't shut the season down again, and we should be able to garner a 1st round pick plus another asset, similar to what TB gave up for Savard. As you said, hard to imagine Florida being the best fit for us, even if they want him. There should be plenty of other teams interested, and as I've said before, I'd be most in favor of trying to grab a 2023 1st (unprotected) from a fringe team that's likely to regress next year (Boston, Pittsburgh, etc.)

Yup, if we're going the 1st route then an unprotected 1st in 2023 is definitely the smart play because this year's first is going to be a late(ish) one with any contender.

Id actually prefer to go the prospect route as i think it gives us the best chance to get better and a team that is ready to go 'all in' may just part with a quality player.

The other thing to consider is that teams like Colorado and Edmonton seem ready to go "all in" but are hard up against the cap.  We can trade them a guy like Chiarot + absorb one of their bad contracts (assuming its expiring) and allow them to make another trade.  That may get us 2 quality assets instead of one.

As bad as this season has been, there's a lot of potential for Gorton & Co. to do some pretty special moves... assuming, as you said, the league doesnt get shut down. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yup, if we're going the 1st route then an unprotected 1st in 2023 is definitely the smart play because this year's first is going to be a late(ish) one with any contender.

Id actually prefer to go the prospect route as i think it gives us the best chance to get better and a team that is ready to go 'all in' may just part with a quality player.

The other thing to consider is that teams like Colorado and Edmonton seem ready to go "all in" but are hard up against the cap.  We can trade them a guy like Chiarot + absorb one of their bad contracts (assuming its expiring) and allow them to make another trade.  That may get us 2 quality assets instead of one.

As bad as this season has been, there's a lot of potential for Gorton & Co. to do some pretty special moves... assuming, as you said, the league doesnt get shut down.

Absolutely. Edmonton and Colorado are both teams that could be willing to overpay to go all in this year, the latter because they're very close and the former because they could use upgrades with guys we have available (Chiarot, Price, Petry, Toffoli, Gallagher, etc.) who could complement what they have. Unlike some trade proposals I've seen floating around, I would not bundle two guys for a discount though. If we can get a 1st and another asset (prospect or 3rd rounder for example) for Chiarot, there's no point in throwing in Toffoli or Lehkonen or Price into the same deal to get another middling prospect on top of that.

If we were looking at Edmonton as a trade target for Chiarot, for example, I'd want a 1st rounder and a 2nd-tier prospect like Raphael Lavoie (maybe with us throwing in a 4th rounder as compensation) or else I'd want a top prospect like Bourgault or Broberg in combination with a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Maybe we take back an expiring contract like Kyle Turris or Koskinen to help a bit with money.

If we're looking at Colorado, they don't have a 1st nor 2nd rounder this year, so it's less likely they'll want to part with high picks going forward. I'd be more interested in going prospect here, as you said. Someone like Justin Barron is a young RHD of interest. Drew Hellseon could be another option as a LHD. I doubt they give up Newhook or Byram at this point, but something like Barron + a 2023 2nd or 3rd rounder could be a good deal. They've also been rumored to have been looking at trading away Sam Girard, so maybe Chiarot + a 3rd for Girard could be a trade both teams see value in.

28 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Absolutely. Edmonton and Colorado are both teams that could be willing to overpay to go all in this year, the latter because they're very close and the former because they could use upgrades with guys we have available (Chiarot, Price, Petry, Toffoli, Gallagher, etc.) who could complement what they have. Unlike some trade proposals I've seen floating around, I would not bundle two guys for a discount though. If we can get a 1st and another asset (prospect or 3rd rounder for example) for Chiarot, there's no point in throwing in Toffoli or Lehkonen or Price into the same deal to get another middling prospect on top of that.

If we were looking at Edmonton as a trade target for Chiarot, for example, I'd want a 1st rounder and a 2nd-tier prospect like Raphael Lavoie (maybe with us throwing in a 4th rounder as compensation) or else I'd want a top prospect like Bourgault or Broberg in combination with a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Maybe we take back an expiring contract like Kyle Turris or Koskinen to help a bit with money.

If we're looking at Colorado, they don't have a 1st nor 2nd rounder this year, so it's less likely they'll want to part with high picks going forward. I'd be more interested in going prospect here, as you said. Someone like Justin Barron is a young RHD of interest. Drew Hellseon could be another option as a LHD. I doubt they give up Newhook or Byram at this point, but something like Barron + a 2023 2nd or 3rd rounder could be a good deal. They've also been rumored to have been looking at trading away Sam Girard, so maybe Chiarot + a 3rd for Girard could be a trade both teams see value in.

I agree 100% we should not be doing any bundles on our end! each player we move should have a value to the team we are trading them too so we should be looking for them to bundle to us! no point in selling just to do it! we want to be the ones improving our future overall. Every player should get us either a high draft pick and a real prospect or a great player and a draft pick or any combo like that, if not what is the point of making the move in the first place? Like Mass was saying this is the year to start remaking the team into a more modern one, we don't have to make all the moves this year either if we can't get what we want for some of our players that have term left we can always move them next year too.

36 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Agree

The nice thing about the ability to take back cap is that a team that is going all in can take one of our vets and then, if we take back dead cap from them, they can add another piece from another team - meaning you could pry an asset for the player you are sending them and an asset for the space you are giving them.  I am confident that Gorton will play this well.

10 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree 100% we should not be doing any bundles on our end! each player we move should have a value to the team we are trading them too so we should be looking for them to bundle to us! no point in selling just to do it! we want to be the ones improving our future overall. Every player should get us either a high draft pick and a real prospect or a great player and a draft pick or any combo like that, if not what is the point of making the move in the first place? Like Mass was saying this is the year to start remaking the team into a more modern one, we don't have to make all the moves this year either if we can't get what we want for some of our players that have term left we can always move them next year too.

Yeah players with term often are more easily moved in the offseason. 

16 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah players with term often are more easily moved in the offseason. 

You look at a team like Vancouver that has been rumored to have wanted to move Boeser. Gallagher's from that area. So could a Boeser for Gallagher move work in the off-season, for example?

Price to Vegas, Colorado, Seattle, Vancouver, or Edmonton could also be an off-season move and might generate a better return if he shows he can come back and play well beforehand (and with one less year on his contract).

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agree

The nice thing about the ability to take back cap is that a team that is going all in can take one of our vets and then, if we take back dead cap from them, they can add another piece from another team - meaning you could pry an asset for the player you are sending them and an asset for the space you are giving them.  I am confident that Gorton will play this well.

The other team I like for a Chiarot trade is NY Rags - they could use a stronger LD and I would hope they would part with prospect RD Braden Schneider and even LW Will Cuyle, plus they have cap room. Rags are pretty set at RD youth with Trouba and Fox so they can afford to part with Schneider who projects as a solid 3,4 pairing. 
1 more is Washington who have cap issues but their Centre pool is strong with Backstrom, McMichael , Kuznetsov, Eller and Dowd. I would want Hendrix Lapierre. 

1 minute ago, claremont said:

The other team I like for a Chiarot trade is NY Rags - they could use a stronger LD and I would hope they would part with prospect RD Braden Schneider and even LW Will Cuyle, plus they have cap room. Rags are pretty set at RD youth with Trouba and Fox so they can afford to part with Schneider who projects as a solid 3,4 pairing. 
1 more is Washington who have cap issues but their Centre pool is strong with Backstrom, McMichael , Kuznetsov, Eller and Dowd. I would want Hendrix Lapierre. 

there are SO many teams that can use him. We really should get a good deal. 

I'm more interested in moving other players, like Allen, or TT. 

34 minutes ago, habsisme said:

there are SO many teams that can use him. We really should get a good deal. 

I'm more interested in moving other players, like Allen, or TT. 

Guys I'd actively be trying to move at the deadline: Chiarot, Kulak, Perreault, Paquette, Lehkonen, Allen, Drouin, Wideman, Niku (all moveable low-risk contracts, albeit some with low value and some with great value)

Guys I'd actively be trying to move now but where we could wait until the off-season to get a better deal: Hoffman, Toffoli, Gallagher, Price

Guys I'd hold onto for now but consider trading eventually if they can improve their value (ie I wouldn't trade now because their value isn't worth it to me): Byron, Petry, Edmundson, Savard, Armia, Dvorak

Guys I'm holding onto to build around (keeping in mind no player is untouchable if the offer is right): Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Poehling, Ylonen, RHP, Evans, Vejdemo, Clague, Romanov, Norlinder, Guhle, Primeau

Also, FWIW, if you want to stir up some rumors, Jake Allen's name has been removed from the Habs official roster on this website. All the other goalies are there, including Price who hasn't played a game yet and McNiven who got recalled but also hasn't played. Other players on the COVID or IR lists are also listed. For whatever reason, Allen's name has disappeared. Is it just a human error or is there actually something brewing? More likely the former given the COVID situation, but who knows...

15 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

. For whatever reason, Allen's name has disappeared. Is it just a human error or is there actually something brewing? More likely the former given the COVID situation, but who knows...

Probably human error as    Thomas Tatarrrrrrrrrr is still on the LEFT hand side of this page