Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

2021-22 Rumours


H_T_L
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Don;t take this personally but IMO that's as bad or worse than this year .

The third pairing D men have 0 NHL experience 

 

 

 

We just have no options right now for that 3rd pairing RD, we could play Kulak or Chiarot there if we resign either but that is about our only other options right now lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

We just have no options right now for that 3rd pairing RD, we could play Kulak or Chiarot there if we resign either but that is about our only other options right now lol

Ya lets face it we are starting over with our D group.  Only  Edmundson and Romanov to start.  ,Maybe in net too.  It will take a couple  years to fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

He's not going to be a top pairing guy no, but if you signed PK (and i think you could get him for a very low salary) he'd easily be one of our best 4 dmen.  He's a .4ppg dman right now. As a second pair RHD he wouldnt hurt to have on this roster.  

We have been going backwards for years now. This would be a horrible signing. He has gotten worse every season over the last 4 years.  He is more disliked now across the league with his run of slew foots this year. . Out with the old and in with new, Not out with the old and in with the old. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I don't know why everybody is forgetting about Clague & Niku.  I haven't written them guys off just yet. Give them lots of ice time and see what happens.

I wrote them off when they were waived the 1 - st time  😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, electron58 said:

I don't know why everybody is forgetting about Clague & Niku.  I haven't written them guys off just yet. Give them lots of ice time and see what happens.

 

24 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I wrote them off when they were waived the 1 - st time  😂

Sami Niku 13 games 6 assists +3

How many defensemen with a plus beside their name?

Clague only has a small sample size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, electron58 said:

 

Sami Niku 13 games 6 assists +3

How many defensemen with a plus beside their name?

Clague only has a small sample size.

He’s been waived twice , by two different teams .   Maybe there’s something there we don’t see 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Paul Martin said:

Ya lets face it we are starting over with our D group.  Only  Edmundson and Romanov to start.  ,Maybe in net too.  It will take a couple  years to fix.

 

2 hours ago, electron58 said:

I don't know why everybody is forgetting about Clague & Niku.  I haven't written them guys off just yet. Give them lots of ice time and see what happens.

I'm less concerned about who is going to play the 3rd pairing. Whether it's Niku or Clague or Brook or Edmundson or whether we re-sign a Kulak or a Wideman, you just hope that you have a strong enough top 4 that your bottom pairing is on for 12 minutes a night and can hold their own against the opposition's weaker lines. We signed Wideman this year and frankly, he's had better numbers at ES than any other D man on the team. So you can find filler when you need it and find it for cheap. If we've learned anything from the Bergevin era, it's that you don't overpay for lower-tier D men.

The real question is who is going to play in top 4. At present, we have to hope that Petry rebounds under a real coach. We have to hope he and Edmundson have chemistry and that this pairing can handle big minutes. We have to hope Romanov takes the next step when games actually matter. And we need to find another RHD who is not Savard. That's the tall order for Hughes. I don't think Norlinder will be ready next year to be a serious element in the top 4, though he could be a factor on the PP. The only other guys who are wildcards are Kaiden Guhle and Jordan Harris, the latter of whom is rumored to be NHL-ready, albeit likely not for a big role. It's going to be tough sledding. Barring any moves, I think we're likely going to see

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Guhle-Clague

Brook (or Harris if he signs)

 

as a potential line-up of D next year. It's really not strong, and on its own could put us in the lottery again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

 

I'm less concerned about who is going to play the 3rd pairing. Whether it's Niku or Clague or Brook or Edmundson or whether we re-sign a Kulak or a Wideman, you just hope that you have a strong enough top 4 that your bottom pairing is on for 12 minutes a night and can hold their own against the opposition's weaker lines. We signed Wideman this year and frankly, he's had better numbers at ES than any other D man on the team. So you can find filler when you need it and find it for cheap. If we've learned anything from the Bergevin era, it's that you don't overpay for lower-tier D men.

The real question is who is going to play in top 4. At present, we have to hope that Petry rebounds under a real coach. We have to hope he and Edmundson have chemistry and that this pairing can handle big minutes. We have to hope Romanov takes the next step when games actually matter. And we need to find another RHD who is not Savard. That's the tall order for Hughes. I don't think Norlinder will be ready next year to be a serious element in the top 4, though he could be a factor on the PP. The only other guys who are wildcards are Kaiden Guhle and Jordan Harris, the latter of whom is rumored to be NHL-ready, albeit likely not for a big role. It's going to be tough sledding. Barring any moves, I think we're likely going to see

Edmundson-Petry

Romanov-Savard

Guhle-Clague

Brook (or Harris if he signs)

 

as a potential line-up of D next year. It's really not strong, and on its own could put us in the lottery again.

Our D is horrendous, its our biggest weakness on paper. With the forwards we have if we added a #1C in Wright, we would have quite the forward core (even after we trade a couple of wingers). #1C is always a need but we basically have 2 spots in our top 4 and Petry wants out of here and may get his wish if anyone has interest. 

Losing Harris really sucks and really makes me mad at the rules for college players

I am definitely all in for being bad at least one more year wo maybe not fixing our D is the right way to go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, habsisme said:

Our D is horrendous, its our biggest weakness on paper. With the forwards we have if we added a #1C in Wright, we would have quite the forward core (even after we trade a couple of wingers). #1C is always a need but we basically have 2 spots in our top 4 and Petry wants out of here and may get his wish if anyone has interest. 

Losing Harris really sucks and really makes me mad at the rules for college players

I am definitely all in for being bad at least one more year wo maybe not fixing our D is the right way to go

May have no choice about being bad for a couple years. Hopefully new guys make enough good decisions so it is only a couple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Teams are showing interest in petry per Darren dredger 

I could definitely see him bringing us a decent return.  The question is whether we are going to do a full rebuild or just a retool.  Hughes seemed to indicate that he may be leaning towards the latter...   Losing Petry and Weber in less than 1 year would definitely put us in the "rebuild" category. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://nhlrumors.com/montreal-canadiens-jeff-petry-kent-hughes-nhl-rumors/2022/02/07/

The Canadiens can’t just give Jeff Petry away. The ask must reflect his exceptional play last season. Very tough to find a top end D. Hughes will need to ensure that teams appreciate that Petry’s play this season is a function of context and nothing more.

It remains to be seen what happens come March 21st or the summer for that matter.

More On The Direction Of Kent Hughes, Maybe?

Arpon Gasu and Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic: A scorched Earth rebuild is not likely in Montreal. It was not with the New York Rangers so do not expect one for the Canadiens.

So, who will be traded before the March 21st trade deadline? The answer is players like Ben Chiarot, Brent Kulak, and Chris Wideman are gone. Possibly, Mathieu Perreault could be as well if he can get a few games in. It is a sale here but not an Arizona Coyotes fire sale.

Players like Brendan Gallagher and Jeff Petry are not likely to be traded now. The summer could be a more attractive time to deal them perhaps. Kent Hughes knows a lot about unhappy players and clearly Montreal is one unhappy place currently.

Hughes expects to fill out a roster next season while accumulating some picks, prospects, and cap space. Who will be the next coach? That is entirely an unknown at this time. Needless to say, Hughes and Jeff Gorton are looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I could definitely see him bringing us a decent return.  The question is whether we are going to do a full rebuild or just a retool.  Hughes seemed to indicate that he may be leaning towards the latter...   Losing Petry and Weber in less than 1 year would definitely put us in the "rebuild" category. 

I don't it really needs to be defined is such a way. Hughes and Gorton (H&G) need to make the team better. I'm not sure where retool ends and rebuild begins. Part of making the team better will be moving on from some of the veterans players and bringing in picks and prospects. That may take two years... It may take four. Who knows? What's important for me is that H&G don't rush things or look for short-term fixes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

https://nhlrumors.com/montreal-canadiens-jeff-petry-kent-hughes-nhl-rumors/2022/02/07/

The Canadiens can’t just give Jeff Petry away. The ask must reflect his exceptional play last season. Very tough to find a top end D. Hughes will need to ensure that teams appreciate that Petry’s play this season is a function of context and nothing more.

It remains to be seen what happens come March 21st or the summer for that matter.

More On The Direction Of Kent Hughes, Maybe?

Arpon Gasu and Marc Antoine Godin of The Athletic: A scorched Earth rebuild is not likely in Montreal. It was not with the New York Rangers so do not expect one for the Canadiens.

So, who will be traded before the March 21st trade deadline? The answer is players like Ben Chiarot, Brent Kulak, and Chris Wideman are gone. Possibly, Mathieu Perreault could be as well if he can get a few games in. It is a sale here but not an Arizona Coyotes fire sale.

Players like Brendan Gallagher and Jeff Petry are not likely to be traded now. The summer could be a more attractive time to deal them perhaps. Kent Hughes knows a lot about unhappy players and clearly Montreal is one unhappy place currently.

Hughes expects to fill out a roster next season while accumulating some picks, prospects, and cap space. Who will be the next coach? That is entirely an unknown at this time. Needless to say, Hughes and Jeff Gorton are looking.

Jeff Petry should be held accountable for his poor level of play as well.  He checked out early and often. At the age of 34 we can't wait for him to decide to be a player again. Need to move him now while we can and before his contract becomes a bigger boat anchor than it already is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Jeff Petry should be held accountable for his poor level of play as well.  He checked out early and often. At the age of 34 we can't wait for him to decide to be a player again. Need to move him now while we can and before his contract becomes a bigger boat anchor than it already is.

So not a fan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul Martin said:

Jeff Petry should be held accountable for his poor level of play as well.  He checked out early and often. At the age of 34 we can't wait for him to decide to be a player again. Need to move him now while we can and before his contract becomes a bigger boat anchor than it already is.

You're making the assumption he's "done" because of one poor season (that he is playing hurt through) despite the fact he's had 4 straight 40 point seasons with last year being a 62 point prorated season!   

Lets imaging for a second he isnt done... right now his value is lower than it would be next year if he can actually get back to that .5 ppg average.   If a team wants to pay us for that now, great but I wouldnt be a rush to get rid of him simply because you think he's on a downward trajectory.  Its possible, yes, considering there are good sources he's playing hurt and the whole team around him is imploding, Im not willing to just dump the guy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The more I think about it the only player that you would consider moving just to move is Price. And I say that not because I think he's done but because I think he has another vezina in him that would suck if we're trying to lose. If only he had to stay out one more year and everything just fell into place for us.... :5141:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You're making the assumption he's "done" because of one poor season (that he is playing hurt through) despite the fact he's had 4 straight 40 point seasons with last year being a 62 point prorated season!   

Lets imaging for a second he isnt done... right now his value is lower than it would be next year if he can actually get back to that .5 ppg average.   If a team wants to pay us for that now, great but I wouldnt be a rush to get rid of him simply because you think he's on a downward trajectory.  Its possible, yes, considering there are good sources he's playing hurt and the whole team around him is imploding, Im not willing to just dump the guy. 

We need to put his cap hit to work in other ways now or in the future.  By the time the team is good again he will likely be be 37 or older. If he showed exceptional leadership quality I could see keeping him around to mentor the young guys coming up.  Unfortunately that has not been the case. In fact just the opposite,. Shea Weber he is not.

Why wait ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

We need to put his cap hit to work in other ways now or in the future.  By the time the team is good again he will likely be be 37 or older. If he showed exceptional leadership quality I could see keeping him around to mentor the young guys coming up.  Unfortunately that has not been the case. In fact just the opposite,. Shea Weber he is not.

Why wait ?

You are not going to like what I have to say about this cause you are clearly all for the rebuild lol. Here is the issue though, we are a better team when healthy  than we have shown. Give us a coach with an actual system and who knows how to adapt the systems on the fly when they aren't working and we are a bubble team. Upgrade the 2 center and we are a wildcard team bring in a top pairing LHD and a 2nd pair RHD and we are strong contenders. I would start with the draft and since our pick is likely top 3 take the BA center, second the coach he has got to go, next see what Subban will take to come home for. Last tackle the UFA and trade markets for whatever else was needed. We simply have too many good players to consider a full on rebuild right now. Price already said he is not waiving, Petry wants to be in Montreal but also wants to see his family, Toffoli already said he wants to stay even through a rebuild, Gallagher said he wasn't interested in staying through a rebuild but that Montreal is his home and he loves the city. We owe it to some of these guys (Price, Petry, Gallagher, Byron, Toffoli, Drouin and others) to try to give them another shot if they want to be here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

You are not going to like what I have to say about this cause you are clearly all for the rebuild lol. Here is the issue though, we are a better team when healthy  than we have shown. Give us a coach with an actual system and who knows how to adapt the systems on the fly when they aren't working and we are a bubble team. Upgrade the 2 center and we are a wildcard team bring in a top pairing LHD and a 2nd pair RHD and we are strong contenders. I would start with the draft and since our pick is likely top 3 take the BA center, second the coach he has got to go, next see what Subban will take to come home for. Last tackle the UFA and trade markets for whatever else was needed. We simply have too many good players to consider a full on rebuild right now. Price already said he is not waiving, Petry wants to be in Montreal but also wants to see his family, Toffoli already said he wants to stay even through a rebuild, Gallagher said he wasn't interested in staying through a rebuild but that Montreal is his home and he loves the city. We owe it to some of these guys (Price, Petry, Gallagher, Byron, Toffoli, Drouin and others) to try to give them another shot if they want to be here. 

Well you may be right but I think the window has closed for this group.  Not saying we have go to the bottom.  Keep a few good veterans,  develop our youth and make some shrewd acquisitions.  Any player who is not demonstrating they are willing to play with heart and pride need to be gone. Don't deserve to wear the Jersey. Create a positive and fun environment and let things unfold. May need new coaching staff but I think the new guys can decide on that in the off season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, campabee82 said:

We owe it to some of these guys (Price, Petry, Gallagher, Byron, Toffoli, Drouin and others) to try to give them another shot if they want to be here. 

Time to move on IMO .  They only made it to the finals last year on a fluke . The 3 years before that they weren’t even a playoff team . Going to be a couple of yrs at least before we see the plays off again then we’re going have a team of old timers if we keep these guys . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...